Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 23 Jun 2017, 06:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Password for Spot? (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
Walt52

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2016, 11:14    Post subject:  Password for Spot? (Solved)  

I can't get access to a website I need through Firefox or Seamonkey, (but I can through another machine with IE), so I thought I'd download and install Chromium. But Chromium won't open if I'm running in root, so I'm trying to run Spot. But the only way I can open Spot is in terminal, but it asks for a password. Now what?
Last edited by Walt52 on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 18:08; edited 1 time in total
Wognath

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2016, 13:58    Post subject:  

Suggestions:
1) try su spot instead of login spot
2) run-as-spot chromium
3) pets of chromium running as root: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81351
Hope it helps.
Walt52

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2016, 15:36    Post subject:  

1. OK, I did "su spot", and then "whoami" and was told I was Spot, but then tried to open chromium and got the same error message: "Please start chromium as a normal user. To run as root, you must specifiy an alternate --user-data-dir for storage of profile information."

2. Then I tried "run-as-spot chromium", and get "chromium: command not found."

3. Guess I'll try downloading Chromium 24 and see what happens. Thanks!
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2016, 16:26    Post subject: Go to the end of the thread wognath advised  

Hi walt52,

Which Puppy are you using? If it's new enough -- i.e., has recent graphic libraries and/or kernel-- it should be able to run something newer than chromium 24. While most threads for Puppies themselves and many threads of applications on the Additional Software Subforum will provide a link to download the most recent version on the first post, some provide such links on posts as they appear chronologically. Consequently, always check the end of a thread for the newest version.

Chromium 52 is currently the most recent version available. Note the requirement of having at least a 3.14 kernel. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=914933#914933

If you're not using a recent Puppy, let us know which Puppy you are running and we may be able to provide further advice.

mikesLr

p.s. As general rule, when the creators of applications --such as web-browsers and office suites-- publish them so that they will function under a variety of operating systems, devs who make them available for puppies do not compile such applications from source. Rather, they take a version made by the publisher and modify it so that it will run under Puppies. Puppy is perhaps the only Linux distro which runs as "root=administrator". As published by their makers, Linux web-browsers expect to be run as a User in system designed for Multi-users with access limited to each user's folder unless an administrative password is given [even if you are the only user]. Few Puppies, however, are even built to support multi-user operations. So one of the modifications a Pup application dev will make is to circumvent the multi-user environment/limitation.

Because Puppies run as root --having access to all disks/partitions and folders without having to enter a password-- further modifications are sometimes made to enable a web-browser to run as "spot". With such additional modification, the web-browser --and any malicious software it may have picked up-- will not have access to the entire computer.

p.p.s Along with telling us which PUppy you are running, maybe you can also tell us which versions of firefox and seamonkey you were using when you were denied access. And if you let us know your computer specs, we might also be able to suggest a newer Puppy,
Wognath

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2016, 17:08    Post subject:  

Quote:
I tried "run-as-spot chromium", and get "chromium: command not found."
Maybe the executable is named something else, like chromium-bin. Sorry, I don't have chromium to check. Open the file /usr/share/applications/chromium.desktop as text and look at the line exec=chromium (or??) While you're there, you could edit that line by inserting "run-as-spot" between exec= and the command. That should fix it so you can run from the menu.
Quote:
1. OK, I did "su spot", and then "whoami" and was told I was Spot, but then tried to open chromium and got the same error message:
Did you try to open chromium from the terminal, like this?
Code:
# su spot
spot$ chromium (or correct name as above)
Only the terminal is user spot.
Quote:
Guess I'll try downloading Chromium 24 and see what happens
If you get a pet, they've worked out the issues for us. As mikeslr says, a newer version would be better. And it helps to say which Puppy version you have. Good luck
Walt52

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2016, 18:06    Post subject: Password for Spot? (Solved)  

Thanks to Wognath and Mikeslr I've found A solution. . .gets me into Chromium (it's labelled "Chromium-browser"), and that in turn opens up Roadscholar.org. I had failed to get into it with Firefox 48.0 and Seamonkey 2.19. I'm running Precise 5.7.1 on an AMD FX quadcore (yeah, it's Brand X but some local guys put it together for me).

Spot is very cool, and this question is SOLVED, but I still have others, mostly Why's. Why would an app not load when you are in root? Why would a website (especially a big, well-financed one) NOT have the certificates Firefox and Seamonkey want it to have?

Mike, thanks also for the PPS's. Being a non-geek, I appreciate explanations of how and why things are done. . . in this case, by the folks who make Puppy.

"Because Puppies run as root --having access to all disks/partitions and folders without having to enter a password-- further modifications are sometimes made to enable a web-browser to run as "spot". With such additional modification, the web-browser --and any malicious software it may have picked up-- will not have access to the entire computer."

This is brilliant. It lets me take off my puppy protection when needed, but keeps those "lapses" from trashing the rest of the computer. Y'all are AMAZING!
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2016, 18:30    Post subject:  

Hi, Walt.

In Precise 5.7.1, you have three options as far as the Chromium-based browsers are concerned.

1) You can run Chrome, up to version 48. After 48, Google dropped support for 32-bit Chrome in Linux. You can get this from OscarTalks' directory in Smokey01's repo:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

2) You can run Chromium itself, up to version 36. (Versions 37 and newer won't run in 571, due to the age of the glibc (the 'C' library.)) You can run a newer version of Chrome, mainly because Google always took the Chromium source code, then re-compiled it against an older glibc, to ensure maximum compatibility with as many distros as possible. I wouldn't recommend attempting to install a newer version of the glibc, as this will break Puppy.

The version I would recommend is this one:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794969#794969

3) Or, there's SlimJet. This is based on Chromium, but with a lot more privacy stuff built-in, for those who don't like all the 'nosey' stuff that comes with Chrome. There's two sources for this:-

a) Either OscarTalk's packages, from here:-

https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB

...or my own 'generic' package (which installs to /opt, instead of /usr/lib), from here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/m9g3svm93k33j/32-bit

Oscar's is currently one version ahead of mine; neither he nor I re-package every single new release, as FlashPeak trot these out approximately once a fortnight.....and they tend to do 4 or 5 different releases for every release of Chromium itself.

These are all set-up to work with Pup's '/root' model, and, with the exception of Oscar's Chrome packages, include the latest version of PepperFlash built-in. If you want to keep an older version of any of these up-to-date as far as Pepper is concerned, there's my PepperFlash .pets, available from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=898288#898288

As mikeslr says, what Oscar and I usually do is to take the zipped version of the browser in question, then modify it to run with Pup's 'root' model.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that CPU, however, I would strongly recommend running either of the current 64-bit 'flagship' Pups, Tahr64 or Slacko64. These can be found here:-

http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download

I would also recommend that you install them in 'frugal' mode, as this is a hell of a lot easier to 'fix' if Pup throws a wobbly. As long as you back-up your /mnt/home partition on a regular basis (with a simple copy/paste operation!), you have the option of either replacing the entire thing, or, as is more often the case, just the save-file/folder itself (since this is invariably where any potential problems will reside.)

peebee does 64-bit packages for Chromium itself; I myself do 64-bit packages for Chrome & SlimJet. Again, the PepperFlash .pets are available in 64-bit format. The only reason (as I understand it) that Oscar doesn't do 64-bit packages, is that he doesn't run any 64-bit Pups.

Hope that's of some use, anyway.

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: