weX and weav with scrox (weX dependency)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mcewanw

#16 Post by mcewanw »

Hi again Fred,

weX comes with 30 as frame rate by default, which is quite high. Along with changing -thread_queue_size params using a lower frame rate might allow your machine to keep up with playing video on Area select mode. You should also make sure cropped isn't checked since you want the WxH to both be divisible by 16 for best encoder performance whereas cropped mode only forces divisible by 2.

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#17 Post by mcewanw »

Fred,

I forgot to say in my posts to you above, you can try different -thread_queue_size param by editing plugin audio_in.plug for audio (and less likely to matter maybe, video_in.plug for Xcap video stream, where ffmpegVideoIn0 variable is for X11grab stream, In1 is for webcam).

As an alternative, maybe using video encoder user1 (by default uses veryfast vcodec preset) or user2 (most likely one since by default uses ultrafast vcodec preset with crf 28, which is a bit lower quality but okay in my tests) would keep up better (the supplied default uses superfast preset).

William
Last edited by mcewanw on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.

step

#18 Post by step »

Hi William, thanks for explaining the reasoning about the unexpanded file name. Since -x does expand it, it's easy to pass the name to a downstream script, so nothing is lost.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

mcewanw

Installing weX onto older Pup such as Slacko 5.6

#19 Post by mcewanw »

I've been trying to get pAVrecord working better for user greengeek on his older Pup - Slacko 5.6 installation. In the process, I also tried weX on that system and have it going very well on my machine despite Slacko 5.6 using a now pretty old ffmpeg, which doesn't recognise a lot of the newer options.

Here then is how to install weX on Slacko 5.6:

1. Install the following dotpets from the first post of this thread (be careful not to choose the wrong versions, but of course, use the latest if these have since been upgraded...):

wex-0.8.17.pet
weav-9.1.0.pet
scrox-0.8-17_32bit.pet

2. Start up Puppy Package Manager and search for giblib (which, along with its dependencies, is needed by scrox above). Note that you need to 'Search all repositories'. You should find file giblib-1.2.4 from slackware-14.0-salix, which proved to be enough for scrox needs in weX at least.

Choose to install that file, giblib-1.2.4 but use PPM method 'Examine dependencies' (i.e. press that button) because you should also fetch the associated imlib2 dependencies (i.e. once Imlib2 details also shown press: button "Download and install selected packages"). NOTE that I had a bit trouble getting PPM to fetch both giblib and the Imlib2 dependencies. I'm not sure why, but I managed in the end...

3. For older ffmpeg ONLY (as used in Slacko 5.6) you will need to also swap the default audio_in.plug and video_in.plug plugin files provided in weX installation (in /root/.wex/plugins/) by the following modified versions attached. DO NOT MAKE THE FOLLOWING CHANGE IF YOU ARE USING NEWER OS WITH NEWER FFMPEG!

However, to make this change you need to run weX for a second so the folder /root/.wex is generated for the first time. Then close weX and download the following two plugins to /root/.wex/plugins/ directory (REMEMBER, ONLY DO THIS FOR OLDER FFMPEG Pups such as Slacko 5.6).

That's it, weX should now be working reasonably well in Slacko 5.6 (though will depend if your computer has good enough specs - this was tested on machine with Core II Duo 2.1 MHz cpu with 2GB RAM).

William

EDIT: Please note that my advice would still be that it would be better to install a newer ffmpeg on your system, for better performance (including embedded webcam capability) and not have to use these modified plugins.
Attachments
video_in.plug.tar
Remove dummy .tar and place in /root/.wex/plugins folder
For older Pups with older ffmpegs ONLY
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
audio_in.plug.tar
Remove dummy .tar and place in /root/.wex/plugins folder
For older Pups with older ffmpegs ONLY
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#20 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Then again did a screencast with 'Area' while only audio playing (with gnome-mplayer) and it's ok:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... -audio.mkv
Fred
Hey, that one gave me a problem cos I'm now over-relaxed to the point of being hypnotised by that audio track you recorded!!! :-)

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

pets installed on Puli, Puppy 3.8.3

#21 Post by Pelo »

pets installed on Puli, Puppy 3.8.3 . Puli had not any pAVrecord included for screen cast in its multimedia menu.
However my first tries were with Simple Screen Recorder (DPUP version) and were perfect.
And don't have any Slacko 5.6 in my Puppy OS jukebox excepted AMIpup.
MY first goal is to get a nice video about Puli. The second one is to teste new video tools, provided by devs fond of puppy, but fond of video too.
Attachments
wex.jpg
Many new options compared to pAVrecord
(70.26 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

Pelo

First try failed.

#22 Post by Pelo »

First try failed.. something wrong in my process... on check.
# wex
[2]+ Done gtkdialog -p SELECT_REGION_SPLASH --center
ffmpeg version 0.8.5-4:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the Libav developers
built on Jan 24 2013 18:03:14 with gcc 4.6.3
*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***

This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.
Unrecognized option 'thread_queue_size'
Failed to set value '512' for option 'thread_queue_size'
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#23 Post by mcewanw »

Here are the two basic steps for installation Pelo. Perhaps you missed number 2:

1. Install the following dotpets from the first post of this thread (be careful not to choose the wrong versions, but of course, use the latest if these have since been upgraded...):

wex-0.8.17.pet
weav-9.1.0.pet
scrox-0.8-17_32bit.pet

2. Start up Puppy Package Manager and search for giblib (which, along with its dependencies, is needed by scrox above). Note that you need to 'Search all repositories'. You should find file giblib-1.2.4 from slackware-14.0-salix, which proved to be enough for scrox needs in weX at least.

Choose to install that file, giblib-1.2.4 but use PPM method 'Examine dependencies' (i.e. press that button) because you should also fetch the associated imlib2 dependencies (i.e. once Imlib2 details also shown press: button "Download and install selected packages"). NOTE that I had a bit trouble getting PPM to fetch both giblib and the Imlib2 dependencies. I'm not sure why, but I managed in the end...

NOTE Pelo: If (and ONLY IF) the OS you are installing to has an old ffmpeg you also need to follow the final step 3 given in this post here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 081#922081

William

NOTE that you can check the scrox part (step 2) above worked okay by entering at a console:

Code: Select all

scrox -p -n
If it outputs your screen resolution to console then all is well with scrox, otherwise post any error reports here and I'll try and help you fix it.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#24 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:Hi William,

Finally took the time to test wex briefly (only default mkv output for now) on DebianDog Jessie.
Hi Fred,

I'm actually installing weX on my kids computer, which has DebianDogJessie64 on it. But I have the problem that the ffmpeg I have on there (I'm not sure where I fetched it but its saved to the system) doesn't understand the newer option -thread_queue_size and maybe not asyncts either. That's not good cos without these advances webcam embedding doesn't seem to work. I'm just wondering how to get a newish ffmpeg for that DDJessie64?

I'm also wondering if you were using DDJessie32 or 64 and if your ffmpeg worked okay with default settings (including -thread_queue_size in audio_in.plug and video_in.plug? Presumably webcam embedding also worked for you then?

Hope you can guide me to finding a better ffmpeg/avconv for DDJessie64 that will understand -thread_queue_size and asyncts since my son wants to embed webcam in the screencasts he plans to make.

William

EDIT: Forget it. I had libav-tools transitional installed. I purged that and then apt-get install ffmpeg and that brought me ffmpeg version 3.0.2-4 from jessie-backports, which is fine. Note well that I used the standard weX deb file, not the special one needed for FatDog64 - that's important cos FatDog runs ffmpeg in child threads so kill/stop mechanism in FatDog weX is slightly different to account for that.

Note also that I used the 64bit version of scrox. With both weX and weav I had to change the Debian control files to be amd64 instead of i386 to get the install deb right click to work (i.e. I rebuilt the debs to amd64 architecture before installing)
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#25 Post by mcewanw »

Actually, I can't get weX to work so well with DDJessie64 with the ffmpeg jessie-backports gave me. I'm getting Alsa buffer xrun early errors which are causing audio and webcam video to become out of sync when combining all three streams: audio, X11, and webcam. I don't get that problem in XenialDog32 where I can use all three streams with good results and audio/video keeping in sync. As far as I recall, weX also worked fine with embedded webcam in FatDog64 but I'd have to double-check that.

audio plus X11 works fine though - but nice to be able to embed webcam whilst keeping audio sync. I suspect it is a kernel or driver issue. Still wondering, Fred, if your system and DD Jessie install will embed webcam and keep audio sync or not (is it 64bit or 32bit DDJessie?).

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#26 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,

I tested on DD-jessie 32 bit with installed ffmpeg from deb-multimedia, version 10:2.6.9-dmo1
EDIT: I think you have to enable it (uncomment deb-multimedia line) in sources.list on DD64.
Changing thread_queue_size to 768 didn't help.
I can't test webcam, so unchecked it, for the rest defaults (mkv, mp3 etc)

I found something interesting: when using size 832x480 all is fine but with 816x480 I get the out-of-sync video as I described earlier (just found out by a little experimenting, using fixed-size).

Also I notice excessive cpu usage from Xorg when using 816x480 (5x more than with 832x480) (maybe that's part of the problem?).

EDIT: BTW I have:
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
Memory 2063MB
(probably very much the same as yours)

EDIT2: did the same on XenialDog (experiment with different sizes as above, no issue at all, so...
Is it the ffmpeg version from Debian-multimedia or.. something else ?

EDIT3: mmm.. strange, no problem also on DD64, tried to reproduce doing the same I did on jessie 32 bit version, but all fine!
To install from deb-multimedia it's required to do this:

Uncomment deb-multimedia.org line in /etc/apt/sources.list, so will be be like this:

#Debian Multimedia
deb ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org jessie main non-free
Remove these lines from /etc/apt/preferences
(was a mistake to add that, will be one of the fixes in next ISO release):

Package: *
Pin: origin *.debian.org
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: origin *.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 1
Then:

apt-get update # gives warning about deb-multimedia not trusted, therefore do next:
apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring -y
apt-get update # now warning should be gone
apt-get install ffmpeg
EDIT4: William, better ignore the problem I have on DD-Jessie-openbox_xfce 32 bit, because on every other install I tested (Jwm-jessie version from Toni, Debian official full install, DD64 and XenialDog) it works without problems... so nothing wrong with your program I'd say!

So, I have to find out what's so different with openbox_xfce version that are causing these problems.

Fred

fredx181

#27 Post by fredx181 »

William, wait!.. don't go away yet.. :)

Tested wex more and I think it's one of the better screencast programs.

Not easy though to find the right ffmpeg/avconv version (supporting asyncts filter or/and thread_queue_size)

Searching for a static ffmpeg build I found:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... static.pet
And from:
https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

Both support thread_queue_size but not asyncts filter.

Update:
-----------------------------------------------
Here's a static ffmpeg I build myself with configure option --enable-avresample , this way the asyncts filter works:
ffmpeg.tar.gz
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing
Works for me on Wheezy, Jessie and Xenial(dog)
Also updated the portable image and portable folder below with included new ffmpeg and changed in/etc/wex/plugins/audio_in.plug to:

ffmpegFilter_Complex0="-filter_complex asyncts"
(as it is default)
-----------------------------------------------
Heres's a portable appimage 'wex-portable' I made including the ffmpeg-static from ibiblio: EDIT: now with self compiled ffmpeg, see above
Extract wex-portable.tar.gz and run wex-portable
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing size: 12MB

Changed to this in /etc/wex/plugins/audio_in.plug

ffmpegFilter_Complex0="" EDIT: Now it is: ffmpegFilter_Complex0="-filter_complex asyncts"
ffmpegAudioIn0="-thread_queue_size 512 -f $audiosystem $channels_arecord $asamplerate -i $plughw"
And made some changes in the wex and weav scripts (only for using relative paths - e.g. ./local/share/pixmaps and ../etc - instead of absolute).

Folder from which the appimage is built (to execute: extract Wex-portable.tar.gz and run 'AppRun' from inside Wex-portable folder):

The (static) ffmpeg binary from Wex-portable/usr/bin directory can be moved to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin) (to be able to use ffmpeg system wide).

Tested and working well on DebianDog-Jessie 32-bit and XenialDog. (although didn't test webcam capture)
Doesn't work well on Wheezy (scrox requires (at least?) GLIBC version 2.15, wheezy has 2.13)

Question: Would you mind sharing the source code of scrox ? Then I could try to compile for wheezy. (or for any other older Puppy maybe)
Thanks.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:41, edited 2 times in total.

mcewanw

#28 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:William, wait!.. don't go away yet.. :)

Tested wex more and I think it's one of the better screencast programs.

Not easy though to find the right ffmpeg/avconv version (supporting asyncts filter or/and thread_queue_size)
Yeah, I don't want to boast, but with the right ffmpeg, weX is pretty interesting. However... I do think it is very important to find/use a version of ffmpeg that also supports asyncts (such as that in your great XenialDog) - that is needed to pretty much guarantee audio/video sync and maybe necessary for webcam embedding to work in sync best too. (EDIT: I have a feeling the kernel used can currently be an issue too, since weX works better with webcam in XenialDog than in XenialPup, even though I think same ffmpeg is used? - anyway, these are not problems in weX itself, just need the best ffmpeg etc combination).

You should buy a wee external webcam Fred - just a few dollars and good for testing. Personally I think embedded webcam is a big plus over current SSR program (though it will no doubt include that functionality later too).

As for scrox, yes I know, I haven't created the source code patches yet and it will be important to use the latest Ubuntu scrot source code (which is what I use in my compiles) with all the patches needed for that applied. My family arrives shortly so I don't have time to look into that just now - quite a number of scrot source code parts involved and I haven't made patches for ages. I will certainly be releasing these patches later (after my break) - I want to review the sources before releasing patches just in case I want to add any extras for anything else, but what is done already will remain stable, so don't worry about that. In the meantime, I have DebianDog wheezy on one of my computers, so compiled version of scrox for that in a couple of minutes. Please find it attached.

I actually first thought about patching scrot for this purpose over two years ago - one of my better ideas I think - but I was lazy getting round to it and my C had become rusty. To be honest, my plan was to withdraw weX and the rest if there was insufficient interest - the Pelo passenger attitude annoyed me so much in terms of doing development work. In fact, I had decided that if weX didn't attract more than 50 downloads in the first month I would withdraw it altogether and give up publishing such work altogether - SSR is a good program and that no doubt limits interest in weX a lot, though I think it is good to have a scripted alternative. So if anyone apart from you finds it useful, they can probably thank you for requesting scrox source and so on!

Anyway, hope the DDwheezy scrox binary works for you just now - I could upload a DD Squeeze alternative is that made any difference since I have that OS on same computer. Really think an ffmpeg with asynct and -thread_queue_size should be found, even if needed specially compiled. I would do that after my break, but with the limited interest in weX thus far, I don't really find the effort worthwhile. But glad you find the program(s) useful.

Oh, by the way, remember I mentioned gpicview didn't run animated gifs on XenialDog. I have since found a GREAT wee commandline image viewer that works perfectly also with animated gifs (including properly fullscreening them - even working gpicview didn't do a good job of that). The program I'm refering to is called sxiv, and the main reason I find it so great is that it also relies on underlying imlib2, so with scrox (or scrot) installed its a tiny upload but with that great functionality. I'm actually using it to run slideshows alongside mplayer with the following code (including sxiv options for fullscreen and 5sec delay between slides) entered into weav program combobox list (or can use modifying code in DoMyFile program):

xterm -bg "#fd0" -e mplayer "${B}" | sxiv -a -f -s f -S 5 ${C}/*
William

EDIT: As time goes by, the ffmpeg issue will vanish of course, since old machines die and most everyone will have ffmpeg that support asyncts and -thread_queue_size. I actually designed weX with that 'plugin' code so that it could be easily user-upgraded should any new ffmpeg options come along without having to modify the main weX code. I partly did that in case I don't develop much more code so that it have a long potential lifespan and is flexible (in conjunction with the user-selectable external app capability).
Attachments
scrox.tar
scrox for DebianDog wheezy (or other OS that uses old GLIBC)
Remove the dummy .tar and place in /usr/local/bin
(23.71 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#29 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

Both support thread_queue_size but not asyncts filter.
I gave the above static ffmpeg a quick try (without asyncts) and yes it did work fine with audio and X11 streams (audio and video kept in sync) but with embedded webcam stream also ticked, audio didn't work properly (especially sync, but generally rubbish).

On the other hand the libav-tools.sfs I made in XenialDog with ffmpeg2sfs utility works great also with webcam stream included with audio and X11 - all video and audio keep in sync. I believe the ffmpeg it downloaded came from:

deb http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial universe

Definitely both asyncts and thread_queue_size options are essential for best (pretty much perfect) results as on XenialDog.

root@xenial:~# ffmpeg -i
ffmpeg version 2.8.6-1ubuntu2 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 5.3.1 (Ubuntu 5.3.1-11ubuntu1) 20160311
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=1ubuntu2 --build-suffix=-ffmpeg --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu --cc=cc --cxx=g++ --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-stripping --disable-decoder=libopenjpeg --disable-decoder=libschroedinger --enable-avresample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libzmq --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencv --disable-i686
  libavutil      54. 31.100 / 54. 31.100
  libavcodec     56. 60.100 / 56. 60.100
  libavformat    56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
  libavdevice    56.  4.100 / 56.  4.100
  libavfilter     5. 40.101 /  5. 40.101
  libavresample   2.  1.  0 /  2.  1.  0
  libswscale      3.  1.101 /  3.  1.101
  libswresample   1.  2.101 /  1.  2.101
  libpostproc    53.  3.100 / 53.  3.100

William

EDIT: Note to XenialDog users - to activate libav-tools.sfs you right-click it with mouse in pcmanfm and choose option "Activate module" (don't simply click the file, that is for editing the sfs... - I sometimes make that mistake!).
github mcewanw

fredx181

#30 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks for the wheezy scrox, William, and the info.
Btw, works on jessie also, maybe even on Xenialdog , didn't test yet.
(mostly old works ok on new(er), but not the other way around)

Now trying to compile static ffmpeg with option --enable-avresample (needed for asyncts filter to work), getting there soon I think... my 5th try now, but not satisfied yet :?

Get back later..

Fred

fredx181

#31 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William, All,

Here's a static ffmpeg I build myself with configure option --enable-avresample , this way the asyncts filter works:
(works for me on Wheezy, Jessie and Xenial(dog)

Also updated the portable image and portable folder below including this ffmpeg build, so now the following is used in /etc/wex/plugins/audio_in.plug:

(as it is by default)

Portable appimage 'wex-portable'

Folder from which the appimage is built (to execute: extract Wex-portable.tar.gz and run 'AppRun' from inside Wex-portable folder):

See also 'updated' in red here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 951#922951

Have a good time William!

Fred

Pelo

Slacko 5.7 Slegopen.

#32 Post by Pelo »

scrox -p -n
libgiblib.so.1 missing..
Slacko 5.7 Slegopen.
Gliblib downloaded from salix Repository, but libimlib2 unavailable.
I will try with a newer Slacko, Slaxen 6.3.2 should be perfect to test Wex. Perhaps french team could include it in final version. Medor will test better because he is an expert in Linux. He will help me, in French, for the try.
Attachments
Slegopen.png
Menu ok, but wex does not start
(45.77 KiB) Downloaded 682 times

fredx181

#33 Post by fredx181 »

Pelo, what is the output when you type in terminal : wex

You could try also wex-portable (see in my previous post above)

Fred

mcewanw

wex-portable test result

#34 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:Hi William, All,

(works for me on Wheezy, Jessie and Xenial(dog)

Also updated the portable image and portable folder below including this ffmpeg build, so now the following is used in /etc/wex/plugins/audio_in.plug:

(as it is by default)

Portable appimage 'wex-portable'
Hi Fred,

Though it has just turned pastmidnight here, so I was shutting down computer and vanishing for break, I couldn't resist trying your static ffmpeg build (as in wex-portable you made):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 202#923202

Alas, several hours ago I had erased all the distributions I had on here except XenialDog and XenialPup (previously also had Slacko 5.6 and Slitaz cooking...). Anyway, I did have iso file of old Puppy Slacko 5.3.3, which I once used a lot... And guess what, your wex-portable worked perfectly for me in an admittedly quick test (including X11grad with audio and embedded webcam on that now very old Puppy! - video and audio all being in sync and video quality great!). I also tried wex-portable in XenialDog and XenialPup and again worked perfectly including the embedded webcam and video/audio in sync. Nice ffmpeg build you have made - congratulations and thanks!

I'll link to your post in the first post of this weX thread.

Give Fred's weX portable a try, Pelo - since it works in old Puppy Slacko 5.3.3, it may well work for you too!

Bye for now!

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#35 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:Alas, several hours ago I had erased all the distributions I had on here except XenialDog and XenialPup (previously also had Slacko 5.6 and Slitaz cooking...). Anyway, I did have iso file of old Puppy Slacko 5.3.3, which I once used a lot... And guess what, your wex-portable worked perfectly for me in an admittedly quick test (including X11grad with audio and embedded webcam on that now very old Puppy! - video and audio all being in sync and video quality great!). I also tried wex-portable in XenialDog and XenialPup and again worked perfectly including the embedded webcam and video/audio in sync. Nice ffmpeg build you have made - congratulations and thanks!
Ah, that's good to know, and just in time! (a breakthrough before your break :) ), thanks for testing.

See you later William, Cheers!

Fred