NetFlix quits working for me in every up-to-date browser....

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

NetFlix quits working for me in every up-to-date browser....

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, kiddiwinks. Here's an odd one for y'all.

For years, I used the last 32-bit version of Linux Chrome; Chrome 48. Around a year ago, I started getting all kinds of trouble whenever I attempted to watch NetFlix; freezing, jamming-up, go-slows.....and plain refusal to work at all.

So, I figured it was time to start using more up-to-date browsers. I'd been anti-Firefox for a long while, but Quantum has really impressed me.....and it now supports NetFlix, of course. On top of which, the variety of up-to-date Chromium 'clones' I now use, including Iron 69, Chromium 72, SlimJet 21.0.8.0 and current 64-bit Chrome have had no issues with it at all.

For the last 12 months, I've been a happy bunny. But in the last 24 hours, NetFlix has quit working in every single one of the current browsers. And this has happened in Tahrpup 6.0.6, Xenialpup 7.5, Bionicpup 8.0, and DPup 'Stretch'.

Out of sheer frustration, I fired up Chrome 48 again, which I still use in Racy 5.5.....not expecting anything. Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather; NetFlix is now working again in Chrome 48, as smooth as so much oiled silk. But it's not particularly clever using a 5-yr old browser.....

I've followed every single one of the trouble-shooting steps for 'NetFlix error M7038'. Restarted the router/network. Bypassed the router, and plugged it directly into the broadband line. Reset the router to default settings.

Hasn't made a shit's-worth of difference. But at least I've tried... :roll:

The bit I can't understand is how the same issue can affect 4 completely separate operating systems, all at the same time. This is what's really puzzling me....

Anybody have any ideas, however wacky? :lol:

--------------------------------------------------

I've just had a very amusing experience using the NetFlix live chat help line. According to the advisor I spoke to, they can't understand how I could possibly be watching it at all.....because 'NetFlix has never supported Linux'! Therefore, they couldn't make any suggestions, or help in any way....

What a load of bollocks. They've been happy to take my money every month for the last 3 ½ years, so I've obviously been watching it on something.....and I made it perfectly plain that I don't use Windows, and haven't done for a long time; at least 5 years or more. Nor do I even possess a smartphone, so Android/Apple, et al, are also out of the picture.

I think the advisor just wanted to get rid of me as quickly as she could, as soon as the word 'Linux' cropped up...!

(Strangely, it's working absolutely fine in Xenialpup64 7.5; both Chrome 74 and Iron 69 are streaming it trouble-free. It's all the 32-bitzers that seem to be experiencing 'issues' ATM. And this is on the exact same hardware, and using the same router. Weird, huh? Watch this space....)

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Maybe it has to be 64bit Linux OS.

I assume you are watching in HTML5.
Maybe it now needs 64bit OS.

You were talking to a human robot, trained monkey! :roll: :lol:

From Netflix requirements from there web site.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742
Supported Browsers:

Google Chrome version 64 or later on Windows 7 or later, Mac OS X 10.10 or later (Mavericks), Chrome OS, or Linux*

Internet Explorer 11 or later on Windows 8.1 or later

Microsoft Edge on Windows 10

Mozilla Firefox version 59 or later on Windows 7 or later, Mac OS X 10.10 or later, or Linux*

Supported on stable, official release builds from Mozilla. Non-Mozilla builds are not supported.

Opera version 47 or later on Windows 7 or later and Mac OS X 10.10 or later

Safari on Mac OS X 10.10 or later

Supported on all 2012 or later models and select 2011 models

Note:
It's possible that some unsupported browser versions may continue to function, however we cannot guarantee the Netflix experience on those browsers.

*Due to the many configurations of Linux available, customer support is unable to assist with troubleshooting issues on Linux devices.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bigpup:-
bigpup wrote:Maybe it has to be 64bit Linux OS.

I assume you are watching in HTML5.
Maybe it now needs 64bit OS.
Mm. See, if it was only a 64-bit OS I could watch it in, I might perhaps believe that. But the Chrome 48 browser I've used for years is a 32-bit version.

Which kinda blows that theory (good as it is) into the weeds..... :?

Goes without saying that I've cleared the cache of all the junk and crap that accumulates, several times. And everything else I regularly access works fine. Just NOT Netflix. (And no, it's nothing to do with the account itself; it's paid, and up-to-date. I know exactly how NetFlix goes when you miss a payment..!)

It's a mystery, mate..... I daresay it'll resolve itself, sooner or later, but for now, well; 'mysteries' bug the hell out of me.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Curiouser & curiouser.....though I'm starting to sense a possible 'solution' here.

I've just set up a second profile in my portable copy of the current Firefox ESR release, 60.6.3, simply to watch NetFlix on. No bookmarks or extensions, anything like that; just NetFlix as the 'home page', and Firefox remembering my log-in details.

Works perfectly. Which leads me to think that somehow, in some way, the profiles of the afore-mentioned browsers have somehow suffered a wee bit of corruption.....at least as far as my NetFlix connection details are concerned. (No, it doesn't make a scrap of sense.....but I'm going to try re-jigging or re-creating the profiles, and see what happens. It's worth a try.)

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 19 May 2019, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

And the same thing again.....but this time with Iron 69, and in the process proved summat I've been meaning to try for a long while.

I've set up a second profile for Iron, and modified my NetFlix launch script to run Iron with this second profile, again using the unique 'webapp ID' that Chromium-based browsers create. Annnd.......yep; you guessed it. It's working fine.

Nice to know you can set up multiple profiles for the 'clones', too. But it definitely proves that somehow the connection details for NetFlix got corrupted in the original profile. Question is.....HOW??

That's the $64,000 question, kiddiwinks. I'd love to hear some theories.....