New versions of Slacko5.7-2016 and eee coming soon

News, happenings
8Geee

New versions of Slacko5.7-2016 and eee coming soon

#1 Post by 8Geee »

With many thanks to HoerMirAuf I will be able to update the openssl in my spins of Slacko 5.7 (2016a, eee2, and mini-eee). This will allow another 3 years of openssl compatability. One thing included are certs for openssl in puppy, which are NOT there in Slacko5.7 or my spins. This will add to the iso size, but is worth it IMHO, consiidering the changes made.

The upgrade goes from 1.0.1t to 1.0.2h. A consequence of this upgrade is that either a puppy Package needs to be made, or the enthusiast can go to slackware(dot)com for the ftp D/L using puppy package manager.

This Post will detail how to do the 102g --> 102h update. One can use it as reference for future updates. What this means is that Puppy Package Manager and Updates from Slackware will not correctly function for openssl updates, as the 102 version is a "Slackware Current" version. The default was "Slackware 14.0".

Off the top of my Poynty head I'll do the mini-eee version first, as it has no servers installed. This condition exists in my own personal copy w/FO-697 installed. Its a quick remaster, just remove FO and the /opt link along with the dotSoftMaker file in root.

The next upgrade will be to the eee2 as 'eee3' This has the shares/servers intact. Any bugs will probably show up here... Finally the 2016 version will delta to "b" if all goes well with the other two.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Belham

#2 Post by Belham »

I know this has been on your mind for quite a while now, glad to see the openssl issue get solved. I wonder if many people realize how pup -versions like yours make struggling processor-challenged netbooks fun to use (especially staying with the uncluttered yet still security-oriented FF versions)?

Also, as a side note, some weeks ago, wanted to give you (if you haven't already looked into it) a heads up about the "Self-Destructing Cookie" app in Firefox's add-ons. The developer of it has created something special, imho. The ability, while the borwser is still open, to completely remove the browser of a closed tab's cookies associated with that tab is something special. Plus, SDC (as it integrates itself with Better Privacy) completely wipes your machine & browser, at that very second, without you the user having to close your browser or you even lift a finger in clicking something else. It is seamless, adds no complexity or additional requirements by the user in order to browse. It is a joy watching Google's (and other's) pervasive tracking stuff get obliterated as you leave whatever site because you've come from a tab that both opened a new browsing tab and at the same time completely wiped that former tab's cookies (and LSOs) off uyur machine as it was automatically closed---all without you having to click anything and/or close the browser. From that point on in your day, assuming you have a list of sites you peruse, Google (or anyone) will see you again and/or know where you came from.

What is even better, if you set your browser home page to open up a simple text file (listing your designated and verified set of https addresses of sites you use daily), and this file can even be encrypted and then have FF unencrypt as it opens it (again, you do nothing as the user---it is instantaneous), your browser opens up to this file, no connection yet to the web, and you hit the link straight to the site you want to start your session from (from your news site, your bank's site, your insurance, even murga-here itself), your session & appearance on the whole internet begins at that site, and when your done, everything & all associated with it is completely gone as you finish up with it and leave to head to another site (with a new tab, courtesy of "Self-Destructing Cookies that also integrates Better Privacy, here's the key, in real-time without you closing the browser), and you happily head to the next new internet location as a completely new arrival in that new tab, with nothing else on your browser/machine identifying what site you came from other than what your ISP DNS servers are showing that you are located. Google, Bing, Yahoo, and the major web tracking agencies are not happy about this but as of yet, they've found no way to shut it down because the enhancement to the browser comes from you, on your machine, with no hoops and/or complexity on your part to jump through.

Of the past 20+ years associated with the Internet and browsers, the Self-Destructing Cookies app integrated with Better Privacy (which you already have and use), plus adding any ad-blocking add-on you want, for now, has completely changed the browser/internet game. TOR/TAILS and others who do browser development variations are talking about integrating this app into their systems as a built-in function, sort of required. That is how much it is thought of. Better Privacy was always ok, but it only works if the user closes the browser and reopens. To have an app that brings itselfs, its functions, along with Better Privacy, into the real time world of using a browser, without requiring the user to even lift a finger other than what they currently already do, is just great.

Anyhow, thought you might be interested since you sort of structure your browsers like I do :)

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Well, there were so many of these made, and eBay has quite a few for sale (mostly 100x series) I figured I wasn't alone. Most of these came with crippled Xp or "7". D/L FreeOffice can make these netbooks quite useful again.

I did take a peek at SDC... I will have a better look when done patching up my respins.
The idea sounds great, Integration w/Better Privacy is a good thing (Flash LSO's).

Thanks and thanks for the tip
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."