Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Nov 2019, 02:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Seeking advice on a custom Puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
DataPacRat

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2016, 20:47    Post subject:  Seeking advice on a custom Puppy
Subject description: All I need is 3 apps, configured, in a VM...

I have a comm problem, and one of the ways I might be able to solve it is by setting up a standard Puppy system, with a couple of programs pre-configured, all to run in a VM on both Windows and Linux machines. What I'm hoping for here is some advice, suggestions, and constructive criticism, such as on whether this is a good idea or not, any pitfalls I haven't considered, and alternative ideas. (What I'm not even hoping for, but would greatly appreciate, is if someone here knows enough about Puppy that we'd both come ahead if you spent a few minutes throwing everything in my design-doc together, making sure it works, and I can Paypal $50 in your general direction.)

In short:

Problem: Archiving mainly-text comms, long-term, without relying on external companies' websites staying up, with automatic mirroring of archives across various machines.

Current solution proposal: Private usenet-style newsgroups, proxied through a VPN-like network with permanent URLs for machines on non-static IPs. Specifically: INN recompiled with one change to the source; probably 3proxy to route INN's traffic to and from the right socks proxy; and then proxy that traffic through Tor to a specified set of .onion sites running similar software. (Tor isn't being used here for any of its anonymity features, just as a replacement for Dynamic DNS that relies on other websites.)

I have a hunch that if I can set this up once on a Puppy, and run that puppy in a Virtual Machine, then I can save time by not having to recompile for various variants of Linux and Windows. Does that seem like it could be worth the effort? Is there some other approach that would work better? There's a long-range wish-list of setting this system up on some Raspberry Pis - would that change anything significant about the version of Puppy used?

Do you want to take a gander at my current draft of some rough notes vaguely resembling a design doc? That's one question I can at least help with: http://pastebin.com/bxGT9tpD . Smile

"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: