Windows 10 under scrutiny for lack of security and privacy

For discussions about security.
nic007

#106 Post by nic007 »

Another beauty of Windows is that everything just works. Even with a 16 year old OS, I use the latest browsers of Pale Moon and Seamonkey as well as the latest flash, it just works no issues. Don't have to wait for updated libraries and other crap like every other puppy version. And then, useful applications for text to speech are severely lacking for linux and those that are available are crap...and of course my printer does not even have a linux driver so pappa Windows needs to watch over anyway. Not to mention windows' superiority when it comes to playing games. Sound quality also better in Windows as in Puppy (drivers are probably superior). Windows 10 and 7 have too many pop-ups, alerts, etc. and is resource hungry. Wiped out windows 10 and re-installed xp pro. XP also runs remarkably well with low RAM requirements. At one stage I ran it sufficiently with only 128MB RAM. If you want to do serious work on your computer, use Windows. If you want to play around and tinker here and there, play with Puppy. As for the security bogeyman - never used internet explorer, messaging or outlook. Ran without and still don't use antivirus software. Never had a problem in 15 years of using Windows. When I had windows 10 on my machine, I used puppy almost exclusively (still needed windows for printing, etc. though). I realised that Windows xp pro still provides the best computing experience overall, so reverted.

Pete

#107 Post by Pete »

Wow, Linux is so bad, I'm surprised you are even wasting your time on a Linux forum.
Perhaps your time would be better spent browsing a Windows forum where they talk about disabling pop-ups in the registry, it only takes "a few mouse clicks".

nic007 wrote:
never used internet explorer, messaging or outlook
Uhmmm, now I wonder why? .....after all Windows is just perfect in every way.

BTW, still waiting for that list of pgms that look like "dog poo" in Linux.

nic007

#108 Post by nic007 »

There are too many applications in puppy that look like poo (compared to windows programs), I'm not even going to waste my time mentioning it (some of our programmers may be offended and I don't think this is the place to criticise their valuable efforts as they are doing an unthankful job as it is). You are jumping to conclusions. I never said Linux is bad and I do like Puppy very much... it's just not as good as Windows in a number of aspects as pointed out (and there is no shame in that). I do have a problem with people saying that Windows is rubbish because that's BS.

Burn_IT

#109 Post by Burn_IT »

I would like to bet that the majority of Windows uses are in industry and offices.
The home market is tiny in comparison.
Just like the vast majority of Linux uses is in firmware in appliances.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Pete

#110 Post by Pete »

@nic007

Nonsense, I doubt any programmers would be offended by you saying their UI needs work.
It certainly hasn't stopped you having a go at the kernel developers, alsa, cups, ...... so why worry about the devs of the pgms themselves?

@Burn_IT
and how many of those computers in industries and offices do much more than perhaps connect to a central database for invoicing or inventory control.

Lets take an example in broadcasting.
All servers, ingest/recording and rendering machines are all Linux, it's only the user interface (front-end) that is Windows or worse, Mac.

Yet another example, manufacturing.
The whole process is monitored by sensors, fed to a.., yes you guessed it then the front-end is normally Windows.

What I'm trying to say is that most of the number crunching in done in Linux, only the "messaged" data is handled by Windows machines.

Burn_IT

#111 Post by Burn_IT »

Read my comments carefully. Don't just ignore them and carry on ranting regardless.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Pete

#112 Post by Pete »

I did read your comments carefully, saw nothing mentioned about servers in your last post.

nic007

#113 Post by nic007 »

I don't think you can expect a lone developer of a specific application to compete with a bunch developing one windows application...and it shows in the end product (no shame in that). Linux does have some glaring deficiencies though (mostly drivers related). I have also found many linux applications buggy (definitely more so than windows applications on average).

bark_bark_bark

#114 Post by bark_bark_bark »

nic007 wrote:Another beauty of Windows is that everything just works.

<snip>

Not to mention windows' superiority when it comes to playing games
This is why as a gamer, I use Windows. All my games run on it, and only a small portion of my games have native linux versions but sometimes those native linux versions are broken or just out of date. I have atleast one or two hundred dollars worth of games in my steam account and most of them are Windows only.

Also, VMware Player is just excellent to play around with on Windows.

Pete

#115 Post by Pete »

@nic007

When you find a buggy pgm/driver, let the dev know about it.
Give him/them as detailed a report as possible.
It's only via feedback that things get fixed.
As you say, very often it's only one dev or a handful of them versus big corporates with unlimited funds and resources.

You say Linux is a hobby of yours, great, help it along and improve your experience by reporting bugs/deficiencies.

One advantage of Linux is that the source is available 99.9% of the time and in some cases the pgm is not even compiled (as in C) but rather makes use of GTKdialog or YAD.
So it's a simple case of making the changes yourself using nothing more than a text editor.
Start off with small, easy mods and as you gain experience and confidence, tackle bigger things.
As a plus, you will be learning new things along the way.

I often change pgms to better suit my needs.
Not major things, perhaps changing the size of a button or the default directory a pgm may use.
I can do that as the source code is all there whereas on Windows, even if a certain pgm is freeware, I don't have that luxury.
Very few pgms written for Windows make their source code available.
Of course there are exceptions.

@bark_bark_bark

No contest there, on games Windows wins hands down.
Last edited by Pete on Sun 18 Sep 2016, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#116 Post by nic007 »

I think I'm doing enough here trying to help other people. Perhaps I should rather do less.

Pete

#117 Post by Pete »

I'm sure your help is appreciated (I have even benefited from one of your posts about firefox and Youtube) but you can always help yourself too by reporting bugs and even having a go yourself at improving some pgms.