Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 07:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
PupBSD anyone?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul 2016, 22:23    Post subject:  PupBSD anyone?  

Joe Wingbermuehle has recently considered switching the license of jwm to an ISC license which fits with the various BSD projects. This got me thinking about doing a puppy-like package for mfsBSD or a base install of the other popular BSDs if there is any interest.

This would be more of an alpha for PLiNG (Puppy Linux Next Gen) where the OS is flexible (anything POSIX), the user is not assumed to be root, and Rox-Filer is replaceable by a default desktop environment (Rox, PCManFM, Thunar, full-Gnome, full-KDE, jwm-only etc...) ... I already have jwm doing most of the work of a desktop environment (icons need some work)

This goes along the lines of Barry's Easy Linux project except that I'm rewriting all of the shell scripts from scratch. I already rewrote most of it for the microsaurus init system (combines init, /sbin/init, xinit and other scripts into 1 c program) and jwm-tools (optimized shell scripts to help jwm take over the role of desktop environment), so its not as much work as it seems.

april

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 05:03    Post subject:  

If you are considering taking away my usage as root then I for one won't be following you
ozsouth

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 05:57    Post subject:  

I've wondered from time to time if a Puppified FreeBSD could be done. Trouble is, it means lots of work by someone, and I wouldn't be much help.
Keef

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 06:25    Post subject:  

I've wanted to try out BSD for a long time, but have never got one (Live versions) to get to the desktop. Might be an Intel graphics thing.
anikin

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 06:58    Post subject:  

And who's going to be the beneficiary of such a grand project?

*Puppy Linux Is Dead* - let's face it.

There are simply not enough users left for *any* new project. We are not a thriving community of Linux enthusiasts. This place is a gathering of 60-70 year old parasitic passengers Smile By my optimistic count, there are less than one hundred (100) Puppy users worldwide, including the newly liberated areas, such as Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 12:03    Post subject:  

april wrote:
If you are considering taking away my usage as root then I for one won't be following you
you can still run as root, but too many puppy scripts are hard-coded to assume $HOME == /root ... which is completely pointless. To open files they use rox instead of xdg-open or even assume a specific program is installed (abiword comes to mind) Since I am starting from a clean slate with no GPLed puppy code, I can avoid these assumptions so that it will work with a wide range of distributions.
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 13:14    Post subject: "Puppy Linux Is Dead"  

anikin(in part) wrote:
*Puppy Linux Is Dead*
..This place is a gathering of 60-70 year old parasitic passengers

I'm an 81-year-old parasitic passenger.

Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 14:17    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
By my optimistic count, there are less than one hundred (100) Puppy users worldwide, including the newly liberated areas, such as Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan.

Quality > Quantity Smile
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 15:56    Post subject:  

I'm already writing this anyhow because I personally want to be able to use other linux distros in addition to freeBSD and netBSD and still have a basic puppy-like desktop. If no one else is interested though, I won't bother with version control.

For non x86 on Linux I am using xfbdev from the tinyxserver project. X86 typically does better with xvesa(also from tinyxserver). For BSD on non-x86 I will need to patch tinyxserver with either wscons (from xenocara) or sdl from xorg<1.5. Jwm with my stb-image and nanosvg patches for the wm. Suckless terminal as the terminal emulator. Then toybox for many utilities. I know these aren't necessarily the preferred apps for everyone, but their licenses allow them to be made into a single, static multicall binary so they will work even if a package update screws up libc or libX1.

jlst

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 16:06    Post subject:  

Looks like a good idea, it's true when they say puppy is somewhat stalled or "dead", so doing things as simple as possible is the only solution, there's no manpower, there's not enough people to test/willing to test... there is not even communication between developers. so i think one has to do everything.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 17:24    Post subject:  

@technosaurus

Interesting concept, I will be watching this thread with keen interest.

As regards the number of Puppy users, I do wonder what the actual figure is.
I don't believe it's as low as 100, although certainly not in the thousands.
This assumption is based on this forum's stats which indicate that there are over 35 000 members (although a large percentage don't contribute, communicate or visit very often).
There are also over 900 000 articles.
Not sure if that means threads or posts, but either way it's a large number.
Then what is interesting is the visitor stats, on average around 120 -150 members sign in but also between 20 000 and 25 000 visitors on a daily basis.
So I have to ask, are all those just random? I doubt it, they came here for a reason.
Furthermore, if one does a search for a "small distro", Puppy features rather high on the list.

Surely all this indicates that there must be more than a hundred and even a few hundred users?
s243a

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 17:45    Post subject:  

anikin wrote:
And who's going to be the beneficiary of such a grand project?

*Puppy Linux Is Dead* - let's face it.

There are simply not enough users left for *any* new project. We are not a thriving community of Linux enthusiasts. This place is a gathering of 60-70 year old parasitic passengers Smile By my optimistic count, there are less than one hundred (100) Puppy users worldwide, including the newly liberated areas, such as Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan.

I'm in my mid-thirties and came to linux (puppylinux in particular) only about 2 years ago when microsoft stopped supporting windows XP.
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 18:21    Post subject:  

@anikin -- turned 30 this past June. I'm sorry that feels so old to you Razz although I can sort of relate -- it felt old to me, at first, too... ya get used to it tho.

april

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 18:47    Post subject:  

Forum index » Memberlist
Page 840 of 840 [25191 Users]

100 ? total fabrication
Wake up
Why do people just make up a number to suit their proposition/argument and just lie about stats ?

I use it to teach young kids a start into whats available in Linux .
They usually then go out and explore other distros as they increase their knowledge

I use and like it because I am root and don't keep hitting permission problems . If I mess up it is easy to start again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
technosaurus- I hav'nt used BSD . The rewriting of scripts is always a time consuming episode but many of puppys scripts need it badly . Early developers seem to have naturally moved to other things out of interest. For me speed of boot and close , size of distro and being root are all important.

If you can make BSD in the same vein I would be quite happy to join in.
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2016, 20:02    Post subject:  

Sorry technosaurus I intended to troll first but there is always
competition amongst the no members here.

Anyway go for it mate.
I will just lie in wait and be a second grade whinger....
hell I might even try it.

Cheers.....Chris.
Page 1 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: