Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sindi

Re: Scrambled video on HP dv6500 (Slacko 63 Tahr 605 Xenial 75)

#631 Post by sindi »

[quote="sindi"].

On this laptop palemoon will not play youtube videos in lupu or Win7.
(It does in Firefox.) I click and nothing happens. On other laptops it plays but only at 360p.
[/quote]

The problem was a buggy 'cinema-look' add-on. Palemoon now plays youtube on here but I still prefer smtube, and the required latest version needs a newer puppy (or a lot of added libqt5 libraries not available in lupu ppm, libgst* and other libraries not found in lupu, and probably updates to others).

Should I be manually editing some config file for X to make the three newer linuxes work in X?

foxpup

#632 Post by foxpup »

Yoliano wrote:In both cases, I encountered no problems with this method. But it seem's to me that, if xenialpup64 does not have the driver for the Radeon R5 graphics, booting from a USB-SSD will encounter the same problem as the CD.
I suspect that neither fatdog nor quirky have the amd driver and are using a generic driver. Try to check that in their system information tools or even in the xorg.conf file.
Bigpup tries also to get you booting xenialpup64 with a generic driver. Are you sure you add the boot parameters that bigpup gave in the right place? Maybe you are already at the prompt when you type them.
If you boot in uefi mode and not in legacy mode, you (probably) do not get the splash screen at F2 where you can add a line "puppy ..." with boot parameters. Instead you get 2 grub menus. In the second menu you have predefined boot options you can edit 'e'. That is where you can add extra boot parameters in the "kernel line", that is the line that starts with "linux". Add the code from bigpup at the end of the kernel line and press F10 to boot.

Code: Select all

radeon.modeset=0
I also wonder: could there be a problem with the version of xorg for your graphic card? Xenialpup has xorg1.18, while fatdog and recent quirkies have xorg1.19 .

I think that the amd propriety driver, like the nvidia drivers, is kernel specific. To use the propriety driver you will have to build/compile yourself, which can be difficult, not painless. It is better to have the possibility to get to X, with a generic driver, if you want to do that.
You may find a link to the build package for the driver you would need here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux There are 3 R5 there; try to get more details about your graphic card(s) with lspci command in console (VGA controller and 3D controller/3D acceleration).

Hesse James

Additional software for Xenial64

#633 Post by Hesse James »

Hello
I have started a thread where I would like to summarize additional software for Xenial64 which is not included in the quickpet or other repositories.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 848#980848

Maybe others like to contribute too ?
Thank you.
Christian

Yoliano

ISO CD

#634 Post by Yoliano »

@foxpup
@bigpup

My apologies for the delay in replying to your latest posts. I have had to deal with various other priorities in these last few days and have not had time to return to this issue, until today.

With regard to bigpup's various code entry proposals, yes I have been entering each one correctly, just as foxpup describes. To assure myself of this, today I repeated the ultimate proposal and again encountered a kernel panic.

With regard to Radeon R5 Drivers, I found myself today, getting mired up in this issue and reached the conclusion that my knowledge is inadequate to handle the installation of a new driver. In my desolation at not having any success in this quest to boot xenialpup64 on my Toshiba L/T, the idea came to me that I should try some of the alternative boot options available in the last boot menu screen. So, first, I tried booting with the option: "Deactivate Radeon Driver". This did not change anything and xorg launched and then exited, as before. Next, I tried with the option: "With KMS - No". This was a shot in the dark, because I don't know what "KMS" refers to! (If someone cares to enlighten me, I will be grateful). But to my great surprise, xorg did not exit and the xenialpup64 desktop came up, followed by the basic config. window. Apparently it was a perfectly normal boot sequence and I was able to accomplish the basic config. and create a save file. I closed the Toshiba and rebooted OK, using the same option and I am typing this post on it, with the help of Palemoon. I also noted that the automatic config. of the graphics driver chose the correct, (actual), resolution of the Toshiba screen, (1600X900). Previously, when I tried to configure the G. Driver via xorgwizard, that resolution was not available.

So, I am sitting here, in front of the keyboard, astonished, greatly relieved and thankful that there is no serious problem of incompatability between xenialpup64 and my Toshiba. All I can say now is thank you both very much indeed for your ongoing interest and generous help, which I appreciate greatly. These Forums are marvelous institutions! Allowing for these good hearted interactions. I am sorry that, in my ignorance, I have created this storm in a teacup. My apologies to you both.

Moat

#635 Post by Moat »

@Yoliano - here's a small blurb about KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) - "...a method for setting display resolution and depth in the kernel space rather than user space."

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ke ... de_setting

Bob

foxpup

Re:

#636 Post by foxpup »

Yoliano wrote: I am sorry that, in my ignorance, I have created this storm in a teacup. My apologies to you both.
No need to apologize. Your ignorance was our igorance and now by sharing, your knowledge has become ours. Thank you.

EDIT: Does someone understand what this means? Does xenialpup not have KMS? Or is the version wrong for this machine? Or ...?

april

#637 Post by april »

Installing and running Printers in xenialpup64 7.5
HP Deskjet 2131($19)
I got "hplip". via Puppy Package Manager.
Installed it ...rather a long one
Went to "localhost:631" in my browser
Modified the printer to use "2130"

Away it went and scanner worked with sane as well.

Canon MG2560 ($15) works straight off

Hesse James

#638 Post by Hesse James »

About Meltdown and Spectre vulnerability: latest kernel 4.9.77 with RETPOLINE mitigation for Xenial64.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=36
Christian

duetta

#639 Post by duetta »

First time poster.

I was having a similar problem as Yoliano installing Xenialpup64 7.5 (and 7.0) on my home-built music PC, which uses an AMD Kabini APU, on which I had been using TrustyTahr 6.05 as one of several OSs. No matter which option I chose, I could never get past the stage of the install where the graphical video driver was supposed to kick in.

I solved the problem in an interesting way, however - and this knowledge may prove useful for others. By browsing this board, I discovered that another member had created an alternate version of 7.5 with XFCE desktop. On a whim, I attempted to install that version - and that installation worked like a charm.

There is evidently a file important to users with AMD APUs included with that remix that is not present in the original version. It's also present in TrustyTahr - which I have been using for several years.

Perhaps this will help someone else.

april

#640 Post by april »

Mine went the opposite way

I was using a TV as a monitor and the one you mention would not work past that point also.

This one worked straight off .

So it is a setting in the video configuration that gets first loaded to the screen before the x11 configuration jumps in to see what it has to work with and because it has nowhere else to go it fails .

Maybe someone knowledgeable can tell us what configs each of these uses for initial screens ..

april

Getting CUP setup running

#641 Post by april »

When I tried to add a printer a while back setup-cups didn't work got a funny page with bookmarks that didn't work.

Turns out from the cups script it expects the default browser /html viewer to be set . As Xenialpup64 7.5 comes out of the box with the viewer set to "auto" it did not get there .

So change default html viewer to palemoon and the cups setup comes up normally

trlkly

#642 Post by trlkly »

The boot-up help file is inaccurate, as it seems the puppy alias hasn't been included in the boot list. (All of the existing menu options use .linux instead.)

It also would be nice if the pfix=nocopy option was in the boot menu. I would think it would be commonly used for fast boots at the cost of slower running.

(It's also useful for testing purposes, since it gives you a larger save file by default.)

shelezyaka

#643 Post by shelezyaka »

Hello .
I'm using Xenialpup 64 7.5. Need to display the layout of the languages in the tray. After installing the fbxkb package, the languages are switched and there are no icons in the tray. What should I install?

GeraSats

#644 Post by GeraSats »

shelezyaka wrote:Hello .
I'm using Xenialpup 64 7.5. Need to display the layout of the languages in the tray. After installing the fbxkb package, the languages are switched and there are no icons in the tray. What should I install?
Update the package database. Install gxneur

shelezyaka

#645 Post by shelezyaka »

GeraSats

#646 Post by GeraSats »

bigpup

#647 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64 7.5
Frugal with save folder.

Cpu-frequency scaling tool
set to use the intel_pstate scaling driver.

This driver only has powersave or performance governors.
That is by design, so normal.

It defaults to performance.
If changed to powersave.
The change is shown as being made.
However it does not actually change.

The change is suppose to be recorded in /etc/init.d/wcpufreq

wcpufreq file has only this in it

Code: Select all

#!/bin/busybox ash
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Ledster

#648 Post by Ledster »

HP 15bs162sa laptop, Intel i5-8250U quad core with Intel UHD graphics 620 chip built in, 4 Gb ddr4 memory, 1Tb hard disk, UEFI, Intel radio chip 3168NGW (AC3168).

Still sorting out my new laptop (running xenialpup64 7.5, frugal with save folder, usbstick).
Wireless and printing sorted, now it's the graphics turn.
The screen is rather dim and the keyboard keys for controlling brightness do not work. Windows 10 has complete control using the "Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel". Intel say the chip is supported on linux but they do not themselves supply a driver and I lost my way trying to follow there links for someone that does.
I did find files called "brightness" , "max_brightness" and "actual_brightness" in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/. The brightness" file has the number 300 in it (and nothing else) and the file called "max_brightness" has 1500 in it. So tried changing the 300 to 500. Instant success! BUT it is not persistent and reverts to 300 on next restart.
So now I know it's possible to change the brightness, can anyone tell me how I should be doing it. I'm guessing there must be a program somewhere that can, but where?

Another minor problem I have is that the cpu temperature icon always says 27 degrees and only shows cpu frequencies when clicked. Haven't got anywhere with that yet.

All help/advice gratefully received!

Ledster

greengeek

#649 Post by greengeek »

If you try the following syntax does it brighten the screen?

echo 500 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

If so, you could put that command into a /root/Startup script and it should set the brightness each time you boot or restart the X server.

bigpup

#650 Post by bigpup »

Go to menu->setup->Screen/Graphics wizard->monitor gamma calibration
In each color entry adjust equally
Negative number - to lower brightness
Positive number - to increase brightness.
Apply
exit
After closing program:
Select Yes to save current configuration.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)