Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sailor Enceladus

Re: Found a bug in xenialpup64

#316 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Lassar wrote:I went to the terminal and typed lsattr /root.

I got "Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ..." every file and folder as far as I can tell.

Xenialpup64 cannot handle lsattr, and I bet chattr either.

Definitely a bug.
I guess lsattr is designed to tell you where you are on real disk drives? It works for me on /mnt/sda2 (which is ext4). Interestingly, it also worked if I navigated through sda2 into my actual save folder (rather than /). :)
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(9.8 KiB) Downloaded 1183 times

Mike Walsh

#317 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Well, now; I've got one here that's never happened to me before.

I've just installed Xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 this evening, and to start with everything was behaving itself beautifully. First shutdown and created the save-folder; then updated the PPM and set up the basics; rebooted again, to make certain everything had 'taken' (which it had).....and then started the long process of installing everything, and customising all to my liking.

I'd almost got Xenialpup just how I wanted it, when I noticed that all of a sudden, 'X' wasn't responding. Desktop entries would 'blink' when clicked on, but nothing was happening. Ditto for the Menu; it would come up, but upon clicking on entries, nothing would respond. Strangely, what few things I'd got in the tray were behaving themselves as normal...

For the first time ever, I had to use Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to shut down, as even the Shutdown dialog box refused to appear. Upon re-booting, I had a fairly strong suspicion what was going to happen, and, sure enough, 'X' refused to start.

Typed 'xwin'; nothing. Tried 'xwin jwm'; ditto. 'Xwin -default' met with an equal lack of success. So I ran 'xorgwizard', and reset to the default xorg.conf.....and still nothing.

I'd almost suspect that the graphics chip in this 13-yr old desktop PC had finally given up the ghost, were it not for the fact that I'm currently typing this from Tahr64 on the same machine, which is running as sweet as a nut. Every other Pup is behaving itself, too, as far as I can tell....

So, dear friends; any ideas? Is this a 'bug' in the newest version of XenialPup? I deleted Slacko64 6.3.0 to install Xenialpup64, 'cos the newest 'beta' versions of Chrome are now refusing to run in Slacko (GTK 3.0 version isn't new enough, and I can't find a newer version anywhere.....6.3.0 is based on Slackware 14.1, which is now considered 'out of date', apparently.)

I've always had success with the 'buntu-based Pups, hence trying out Xenialpup.....but this is baffling me. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Mike. :?

mikeslr

#318 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

You wrote, in pertinent part:
Mike Walsh wrote: I've just installed Xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 this evening, and to start with everything was behaving itself beautifully. First shutdown and created the save-folder; then updated the PPM and set up the basics; rebooted again, to make certain everything had 'taken' (which it had).....and then started the long process of installing everything, and customising all to my liking.
I'd almost got Xenialpup just how I wanted it, when ... nothing would respond.
First thought: something you installed spoiled your day. :( I'd start again from scratch. After creating a SaveFile*, kill Automatic Save. Leave customizing settings for last. After you install each application, do a manual Save. When you get to whatever it was that screwed things up, you won't be able to Save. But don't anyway. :) You should however be able to shutdown --even if you have to pull the plug. Reboot, skip that application and continue installing.

If all applications install OK, then customize your settings one at a time, Saving after each change.

If its one (or a couple applications) or a particular setting that's causing a problem, once it's identified, we'll figure out what to do. Once you've identified the problem application(s), or setting you can also re-build using a SaveFolder. Not sure, but I think you can create a SaveFolder if you unpack a SaveFile into a folder named xenialpupsave-xxx, maybe xenialpup64save-xxx. [I've been doing some experiments with xenialpup64, so don't have a SaveFolder at the present time].

Second thought: I have a recollection of something like that happening when I clicked the "bugfix" icon on the desktop. Do a search and see if there's a post about that; or back-track to shortly after 7.0.8.5 first appeared.

mikesLr

*I've found that on occasion things sneak into SaveFolders even with Automatic Save turned off. And unless I know it's safe, I also don't let PPM install. I set it to download to a folder on /mnt/home, then build an SFS. If its small, I'll repackage as a pet to be installed. Many apps "straight from Ubuntu" have to be restructured anyway. Xenialpup64 can't find libs which Ubuntu places in various directories named x86_64-linux-gnu.

Mike Walsh

#319 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mornin', Mike.

TBH, I've got a pretty fair idea of what 'screwed things up'. I'm almost 100% certain it was 'lm-sensors' that's responsible.... (little bugger! Grrrr...) It was the very last thing I installed (pSensor uses it), and there'd been a break of at least half-an-hour prior to that while I was doing something else (at which point she was still behaving herself nicely...)

I'm going to re-do from scratch, anyway.....and I might well revert to a save-file, too; you're right, you do get more control with them, as the save-folder auto-saves whether you want it to or not. However, I'll possibly go back a couple of releases; 7.0.8.1, or 7.0.8.4. What d'you reckon?

(Y'know, despite trying out these newer, 64-bit Pups ('cos that's the direction Puppy seems to be heading!), I still find Micko's classic 570 one of the most stable Pups in my kennels. So it's 4 years old, and only 32-bit.....so what??

Tell me something, Mike; can you change 'Pup-mode' between sessions (and will the change actually stick)?

Mike. :wink:

artsown

#320 Post by artsown »

@ Mike Walsh

I've been using lm-sensors and psensor on xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 for
quite some time now without problems. I monitor core temps and
hard drive temp (HDDTEMP), and have temp limits set to alarm.

Also, my wife is using xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 on a daily basis where she
gives it a good pounding on facebook. For our purposes, this pup has
been reliable. The only problem has been palemoon which is still not
good for intensive use by social media users. The latest versions of
Waterfox, Firefox with pulseaudio and a script wrapper, and ... thanks to
your SFS ... Google Chrome .... all run reliably under intensive use in our
experiences here.

Hope this helps, and thanks for your SFS :)

Art

mikeslr

#321 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

I've been running 7.0.8.5 on-and-off since shortly after it was published without a problem except for the one I mentioned. Before that ran 7.0.8.4 also without a problem [except, of course, the undiscoverable x86_64-linux-gnu folders). But then, my computers have different hardware than yours. And yes, Slacko 5.7 remains in my kennel: a solid piece of work.

But Tahrpup64 remains at the top of grub4dos's menu.lst --automatically booted into for daily chores unless I think of something I want to do or explore. I upgraded its kernel to 4.1.7. I'll probably keep it in some capacity until openssl updates and other security fixes become unavailable.

Since we run our systems in a similar fashion --SFSes and "Program Folders" whenever possible, data not stored in "Puppy Space"-- you probably can get by with a 1.25 Gb SaveFile even if you intend to install "the Out house sink". That may seem a lot. But remember SaveFolders are not compressed --what you install into them takes 2 to 3 times as much storage space.

You may want to hold off installing lm-sensors for a couple of days. I developed a mad-crush on Whisker-menu. It drove me to construct xfce4-panel for Xenialpup64 so that I could have it. But since I had to build the panel anyway, I included almost all plugins which it could use, among them various sensors. I'll be making it available as an SFS even though the panel comes in at only about 8 mbs. Published as a beta in the hope someone with more knowledge can help eliminate 'rough edges'. As-is, It can be used in addition to, or substitute for, JWM's Tray. Don't recommend it as a substitute --too much work would have to go into outfitting it with those "widgets" specifically built for Puppy. And frankly, except for the absence of Whisker menu, radky's JWM's tray is superior. Even adding it as an additional panel currently has one annoying side-effect: several sensors/plugins on jwm's panel show up in duplicate.

I also built xfce4-panel for peebee's Lxpup64(slacko)-17.0.06. On that OS it works almost flawlessly, except for the dupiicate sensor/plugin problem. I was pleasantly surprised by how well Lxpup64 functioned, especially PPM's access to Slackware repos. I'll have to explore that OS more, to see how much hassle it will be to obtain some of my more esoteric applications.

mikesLr

Lassar

SFS Bug

#322 Post by Lassar »

I have found a sfs bug in Xenialpup64 that drives me crazy.

I do some development work on puppy linux. (Kodipup & Winpuppy)

In doing so, I sometimes make backups of sfs files from puppylivecdbuild or iso to a external usb hard drive.

It seems, that Xenialpup64 doesn't only look for sfs files on it's own partition, but looks for sfs files on other partitions.

Definitely a bug. It should only look for sfs files on it's own partition.

One time, I thought my hardware was going bad, but it turned out, puppy was loading a sfs file from another partition.

It's extremely annoying to boot up, and find a different puppy, from what you was expecting.

rcrsn51

#323 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Lassar: Please post the GRUB menu entry that boots XenialPup64.

Lassar

#324 Post by Lassar »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Lassar: Please post the GRUB menu entry that boots XenialPup64.

Code: Select all

insmod png
background_image /kodipup.png
set timeout=10
menuentry "Start kodipup" {
    linux /vmlinuz pmedia=cd nouveau.modeset=0
    initrd /initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Start kodipup - RAM only" {
    linux /vmlinuz pfix=ram pmedia=cd nouveau.modeset=0
    initrd /initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Start kodipup - No X" {
    linux /vmlinuz pfix=nox pmedia=cd
    initrd /initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Start kodipup - check filesystem" {
    linux /vmlinuz pfix=fsck pmedia=cd
    initrd /initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Start kodipup - No KMS" {
    linux /vmlinuz nomodeset
    initrd /initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Shutdown" {
	halt
}
menuentry "Reboot" {
	reboot
}
[/code]

rcrsn51

#325 Post by rcrsn51 »

It seems, that Xenialpup64 doesn't only look for sfs files on it's own partition, but looks for sfs files on other partitions.

menuentry "Start kodipup - RAM only" {
    linux /vmlinuz pfix=ram pmedia=cd nouveau.modeset=0
    initrd /initrd.gz
} 
That's because you are using the "pmedia=cd" option. Since this is a hard drive install, you can narrow down the search for SFS files using

pmedia=atahd pdev1=sdax psubdir=xxxx

Bird Dog

Xenialpup64

#326 Post by Bird Dog »

On page 19 of this thread, to get the lights working on the keyboard big pup posted about half way down the page that 01micko wrote:
Try this on CLI..
Code
modprobe input-leds
Big pup said this code worked.

What is CLI.. and where exactly in CLI.. do I put this code.
I'll take a guess and say clipboard but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

sheldonisaac

Re: Xenialpup64

#327 Post by sheldonisaac »

Bird Dog (in part) wrote:What is CLI.. and where exactly in CLI.. do I put this code.
I think it's command line interface.
Maybe click menu; move the mouse pointer to utility, then to Urxvt terminal emulator.
That should give a prompt, like > or #
Type the command as was suggested, that is
modprobe input-leds
and press the Enter key
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Bird Dog

Xenialpup64

#328 Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks Sheldonisaac worked like a charm unfortunately I must do this after every start up. Is there any way to save it somewhere, I tried stick in the terminal emulator but it didn't.

Thanks
Bird Dog
Frugal Xenialpup 64, Bionicpup 64 save folder on core2 quad Q6600 2 gigs ram, AMD 6 core 4 gigs ram. Frugal Xenialpup 32, Bionicpup 32 save folder on P4 3.0 ghz 1 gig ram, Dell P4 Celeron 2.4 ghz 1 gig ram

peebee

#329 Post by peebee »

Bird Dog wrote:Is there any way to save it somewhere,
Bird Dog
Hi
Add it to:

/etc/rc.d/rc.local
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bigpup

#330 Post by bigpup »

Keyboard led lights not working.
peebee wrote:
Bird Dog wrote:Is there any way to save it somewhere,
Bird Dog
Hi
Add it to:

/etc/rc.d/rc.local
Thanks for the work around fix idea peebee!!

I was hopping 01micko would offer a more refined fix, to the Linux kernel, to correct this.
However, the above does seem to work to make it persistent on reboot.

Keyboard led lights not working.
Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Add:

modprobe input-leds
Save to the Puppy save.

Newer Linux kernels may have this bug corrected.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bird Dog

Xenialpup64 7.0.8.4

#331 Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks PB, Big Pup and Sheldonisaac. I tried but this is a little above my pay grade. A search couldn't find etc/rc,d/rc.local but I noticed in the puppy save frugal folder there was an etc and an rc.d in that but no rc.local. Oh well not a biggy. I guess it could be worse.
I enjoy Palemoon but miss quick pet that had a nice program selection in Tahrpup64. Couldn't run an Nvidia 7600 GT with Tahrpup, Tahrpup64 or Xenialpup64 because of all browsers crashing. Switched to an ATI (AMD) card and no problems.
I just learned something about Puppy (Linux) that when I fired up Tahrpup64 that had been installed with the Nvidia 7600 GT it's working just fine with the AMD card. I don't think this would have worked with Windows. From my own experience and from what I've seen on this forum maybe we should recommend people who don't know how to compile Nvidia cards to use Intel or AMD video cards.

Thanks
Bird Dog

bigpup

#332 Post by bigpup »

A search couldn't find etc/rc,d/rc.local but I noticed in the puppy save frugal folder there was an etc and an rc.d in that but no rc.local.
Are you searching by actually navigating in Rox file manager when you are booted and using Xenialpup?

Note:
rc.local is not going to be in the save unless you did something to change it from the original.
Attachments
capture16300.png
(33.1 KiB) Downloaded 1171 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bird Dog

Xenialpup64

#333 Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks Big Pup I clicked on File on the Desktop in the top left corner. I clicked on etc then rc.d then rc.local and it looked exactly like your screen shot. I then put in beside the number 15 modprobe input-leds and then I saved it. Restarted the computer and nothing. Rebooted a second time and same thing. I then removed what I entered and saved again.
Should I have clicked reload instead of save?
Maybe echo enabled > modprobe input-leds?

Thanks
Bird Dog

bigpup

#334 Post by bigpup »

After you reboot. Look in rc.local and make sure your change is still there.

I put my entry on line 16 of rc.local.

Here is what my modified rc.local looks like.
It works in my install of Xenialpup.

#this file called from rc.sysinit
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...

echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb4/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb5/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb6/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb7/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb8/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb9/power/wakeup
echo enabled > /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb10/power/wakeup

modprobe input-leds
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bird Dog

Xenialpup64

#335 Post by Bird Dog »

Thanks Big Pup line 16 did it. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks
Bird Dog