X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
s243a

#901 Post by s243a »

Finally giving this one a try. It wasn't able to find my save file so I specified the psave parmater to find it:

Code: Select all

title  Start tazpup xslacko-slim 4.4r23
  uuid a769a673-e772-40d0-b268-0a9fa7647db1
  kernel /xslacko/4.4r23/vmlinuz zdrv=a769a673-e772-40d0-b268-0a9fa7647db1:/xslacko/4.4r23/zdrv_xslacko_4.4.sfs pupsfs=a769a673-e772-40d0-b268-0a9fa7647db1:/xslacko/4.4r23/puppy_xslacko_4.4.sfs psave=a769a673-e772-40d0-b268-0a9fa7647db1:xslacko/4.4r23/xslackosave/
  initrd /xslacko/4.4r23/initrd.xz
The text on the icons is real light so it would be nice to have some darker backgrounds for more contrast. I tried to set it as a solid colour but wasn't sure how.

It isn't supporting three finger tap for right click. I can work around this a bit by using the menu button on my keyboard plus other shortcut keys.

It loads a bit slow from a USB with the above grub entry. I'm going to try pmedia=usbflash to see if that speeds things up :)

for some reason on TazPup I don't need to specify the pmedia option for it to run like this.

mistfire

#902 Post by mistfire »

@s243a can you please give me the puppyboot.log (located at /tmp) at the moment that your save file cannot found!

s243a

#903 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:@s243a can you please give me the puppyboot.log (located at /tmp) at the moment that your save file cannot found!
Sure I can try to reproduce it. It's working now though since I specify the exact location of the save file. My guess is it is the search depth.

On another note, I turned on tap for the touchpad and now I can right click with a two finger tap. It isn't quite as responsive as TazPup 3 finger tap but it works. I noticed there is a feature to shut off mouse tap when the keyboard is being typed. This is a nice feature because my touchpad is a bit glitchy. I set a 0.2 second delay and haven't notice the glitch yet with this delay setting.

I tried libreoffice 5.2.2.2 (from slacko14.2) but the jpeg libraries seemed to old in xslacko so I uninstalled it and used libreoffice 5.0.1 from the slackware-14.1 repo instead and it seems to be working. I also installed firefox 60.2.2 from the slackware 14.1 repo. It didn't start at first but I was able to start it after installing gtk+3-3.8.2. It seems to work so far. For instance I had no issue using it with dropbox. I haven't tried sound with it yet though.

s243a

#904 Post by s243a »

BTW is there a shortcut key in either X-Slacko or TazPup to open a terminal when in a folder of the file manager. On must puppies this is done with the tilda key (i.e. ~)

s243a

#905 Post by s243a »

I notice that in the file explorer there is an option to connect to a windows home network. How does one do that?

s243a

#906 Post by s243a »

I got espeak working with a little bit of pain.

I think it requires:
python-2.7
dbus-python

so that it can talk to the jack server. I tried some things to start the jack server and ended up with the resource being busy so also couldn't use it. Strace told me which device was busy and I used "lsof" to find which process to kill..

I did other stuf but it was kind of random so I can't be of much help to people trying to install espeak.

s243a

#907 Post by s243a »

Whenever I start up and try to connect I get the error:

ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due to RF-Kill
I'm able to fix this error by using the keyboard to turn on Wi-Fi but for some reason I have to do this every startup.

s243a

#908 Post by s243a »

I'm able to get should on firefox by using the comand:

apulse firefox
as a side note on my system the command firefox starts firefox as spot.

When I installed firefox it download a bunch of pulseaudio stuff. This may slow down my system if firefox isn't started with the apulse command.

Speaking of my system being slowed down, the process

/usr/libexec/gvfsd-metadata
was using 25% of one of my CPUs. Killing it didn't seem to cause any problems and while this metadata process was going on xfdesktop was hogging 15% of one CPUs resources.

Killing gvfsd-metadata seemed to fix the cpu issue with xfdesktop. Also firefox shutdown uncleanly when this occurred, leaving a process related to {Web Content} and another one related to .cache.

My guess was a youtube video was using to much cache resources and this was causing the file manager to spend too much time updating filesystem metadata. I think though that one shouldn't need filesystem metadata for browser cache. Not only does it negatively affect performance but it probably could be used to track what websites that someone visited.

Anyway, after killing the metadata process and starting firefox with apulse, I haven't noticed these issues. A suitable blocking ap might have also prevented them.

P.S.if I don't start firefox with apulse then it seems to stop the sound from working on other aps (e.g. espeak)

also the following might shed some light on the metadata issue:
up vote
down vote
accepted

AFAIK gvfsd-metadata is a process that collects file metadata when you use Nautilus. If your metadata store got corrupted somehow, it might get stuck on an infinite loop. So you'll have to kill that process, and remove the metadata store.

pkill gvfsd-metadata 
 rm -rf .local/share/gvfs-metadata
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ime#108255

mikeslr

is gvfs-metadata necessary?

#909 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

See s243a's post immediately above for gvfs-metadata's function. A quick google didn't reveal any other. I wonder if it is necessary at all? How did it get into the operating system? Can it be safely, permanently, removed?

s243a

Re: is gvfs-metadata necessary?

#910 Post by s243a »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,

See s243a's post immediately above for gvfs-metadata's function. A quick google didn't reveal any other. I wonder if it is necessary at all? How did it get into the operating system? Can it be safely, permanently, removed?
Not sure if the following helps or not:
Gvfs consists of two parts:

GIO, which is a new shared library that is part of GLib and provides the API for gvfs

Gvfs itself, which is a new package containing backends for various file system types and protocols such as sftp, dav, smb, obexftp.

The way gvfs works is that it runs a single master daemon (gvfsd) that keeps track of the current gvfs mounts. Each mount is run in a separate daemon (some mounts share a daemon process, but most don't). Clients talk to the mounts with a combination of dbus calls (on the session bus and using peer-to-peer dbus) and a custom protocol for file contents.

Gvfs comes into Fedora 9 as part of Gnome 2.22, but it is worth spelling it out as a feature, since it was largely conceived and written by Fedora people, namely Alexander Larsson (who did the bulk of the work), David Zeuthen, Dan Winship and Bastien Nocera.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gvfs

tommy

#911 Post by tommy »

s243a wrote:
Whenever I start up and try to connect I get the error:
Code:

ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due to RF-Kill
It happened to my HP Pavilion too.

I had to create a simple script like this:

!#/bin/sh
rfkill unblock all &
made it executable and placed in /root/Startup

Now the wifi works right and SNS connects to the wifi router automatically at bootup without any user intervention.

tommy

#912 Post by tommy »

Hi!
I'm using this puplet quite often these days and I have to say to mistfire: you've really done a great job. I think it's one of the best puplet I've used so far - and I have been using Puppy since 2005. It has proven to be very complete and solid.

I have one little problem with the power applet in the tray: I have set 'suspend' and 'hibernate' to zero (never suspend nor hibernate) and the 'Turn off monitor ' to 3 minutes. This works well during a session, but the screen won't turn off on reboots. I have to set again a 'Turn off monitor' delay on every reboots. The power applet remembers the last set delay, though, in my example: 3 minutes!

Any ideas to force the delay to be applied on reboots?
Thank you!

mistfire

#913 Post by mistfire »

@tommy thanks for reporting that error I will fix that as soon as possible

tommy

#914 Post by tommy »

Thank you, mistfire, you're very kind. I don't expect you to fix this with a new release, I was just asking for a workaround, maybe a script to be applied at startup. Maybe other members have already dealt with this, but I tried to search in the whole forum with no success.

Have a great day!

mistfire

#915 Post by mistfire »

@tommy if you are fluent in bash scripting take a look at load-power-cfg and power_gui scripts as well as check-power in /root/Startup of X-Slacko Slim the reason of this problem was just unable to load some power management settings

tommy

#916 Post by tommy »

@mistfire Thanks, I'll try to look in those scripts and report back.

kuman11

This X-Slacko doesn't recognize the exFat USB sticks

#917 Post by kuman11 »

This X-Slacko doesn't recognize the exFat USB sticks. Any ideas how can I mount them?

mistfire

#918 Post by mistfire »

@kuman try to mount manually using this parameter

mount -t exfat [drive] [mountpoint]

Example: 

mount -t exfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

kuman11

#919 Post by kuman11 »

I keep gettin' this [unknown filesystem type 'exfat']. It seems it can't recognize it ...

cthisbear

#920 Post by cthisbear »

Please consider adding

Simplecom NW601 Wireless USB

How to use Simplecom NW601 Wireless USB? (Solved)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 29#1008529

No recent Pups have this incuding,

UPup Bionic Beaver
Bionicpup64
32-bit UPup Cosmic Cuttlefish
X-Slacko Slim

Page one Murga.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114560

::

perdido supplied these with help from Semme.

Both work after a reboot.
However I prefer for banking to boot a pristine Puppy,
add my stored bookmarks, and usually Slimjet and off I go.

http://ibm-pc.org/puppy/rtl8812au_rtl88 ... 4.1.48.pet

http://ibm-pc.org/puppy/rtl8812au-5.1.5_k4.1.48.pet

:::::

Linux Drivers from Simplecom site:

https://www.simplecom.com.au/media/link ... _linux.zip

Many thanks...Chris.