X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
zagreb999

ANDROID APPS

#661 Post by zagreb999 »

REGARDS

CHROME OS HAS CONVERTER
FOR ANDROID APPS...
CAN YOU ALSO MAKE
FOR XSLACKO SLIM?

THANKS.

mistfire

#662 Post by mistfire »

@zagreb999 Im sorry to say that android app conversion was currently not on my capabilities. Im still waiting for developers who can develop a linux app that can run android app flawlessly with less cpu and ram usage

Volhout

Bootup time

#663 Post by Volhout »

Hi mistfire,

I am happy with everything you did for this version of puppy, so don't see this as negative feedback. But I notice that booting Xslacko Slim is taking quite some time.

Do you have any idea what I can do to improve ?

Just for the record: (All distro's are frugal installs, booting from USB, with save file.
ISO size and save file size in brackets (ISO/SAVE). USB sticks are USB2 (not 3). Test computer has BIOS bootup time of 7 seconds.

Tiny Core (111M / 1k) 0:27 minutes
Puppy Slacko 5.7.0 (166M/128M) 0:50 minutes
Xslacko Slim R37 (157M/128M) 1:18 minutes
Xslacko Slim R59 (167M/128M) 2:18 minutes

The difference between TinyCore and Puppy is remarkable, but a totally different distro, and tinycore is not FAT32. The difference between 5.7.0 and R37 is significant (+56%) but was growing over the years (5.7.0 is 3.5 years old). Maybe related to systemd ?

But the difference between R37 and R59 is not clear to me.
Is it the zdrive ?

Edit: I did a speed check on the USB sticks and discovered that the 2 identical USB stick have completely different read and write speeds. This may explain it.
Last edited by Volhout on Tue 31 Oct 2017, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#664 Post by Sage »

Awaiting your instructions, vide supra, misty!

mistfire

#665 Post by mistfire »

@Volhaut, I think the some decisive factors of booting time was the kernel and the loading of sfs files. The init scripts is a hybrid of classic puppy and woof-ce. Also Puppy uses sysvinit so the X-Slacko Slim does. In the previous releases, I rely on X-Slacko kernel, then afterwards I use lxpupsc kernel however I realize it has lack of hibernation (suspend to disk) and doesnt produce 32-bit kernel anymore. So I put on last resort to compile it for myself for the first time. I have no longer a constant internet connection and a powerful computer to perform kernel compiling. So I still researching a precompiled kernel which is suitable for my needs.

Volhout

Compile your own kernel

#666 Post by Volhout »

Wauw ,

That is totally different cookie. You compiled your own kernel !!
Respect man ! Too bad you suffer from the bandwidth restriction.
I would offer my help, but this is way beyond my skills.

Volhout

P.S. Ik know StemSee provided kernels for different pups. Maybe there is something he can do for you. PM him ?

mistfire

#667 Post by mistfire »

You are right @Volhaut I used peebee's lxpup kernel source code and I customize the kernel configuration before compile it. It tooks 1day and 1 night to get it right. I hope my message to stemsee will received if I will send a message.

ally

#668 Post by ally »

@mistfire, pm sent

:)

mistfire

#669 Post by mistfire »

@ally I received your message thanks. I hope that you can do it

kerl

#670 Post by kerl »

I have a multi-boot system made with Lick. I got some errors when shutting down Puppy the other day. I believe these had to do with the fact I cut a few files from puppy and pasted them into the winxp partition. Was this a good practice? I may be wrong but i'd say those megabytes were lost from the space assigned to puppy after the cut and paste to the windoze zone..

mistfire

#671 Post by mistfire »

@kerl initrd, vmlinuz, and puppy sfs files are the files you need to boot a puppy

kerl

#672 Post by kerl »

mistfire wrote:@kerl initrd, vmlinuz, and puppy sfs files are the files you need to boot a puppy
Thanks mistfitre for the response! but I cannot see how it's related to my question :)
I moved files from puppy to the mswindows partition and the space occupied by those files was not recovered after moving them, it's like those 100Mb were missing from my personal space for puppy according to the indication on the tray bar. Also some errors were displayed when shutting off that session that I believe were related with moving those files across the two parallel universes. Where did the "dark matter" end up? I really dunno!

mistfire

#673 Post by mistfire »

@kerl just boot puppy in pristine state and make new save file

Volhout

Uk keyboard

#674 Post by Volhout »

Dear mistfire,

Tried to set up a UK keyboard , but using the tools in the menu, the only selection was US. I own a laptop with UK keyboard..... one of the online bargains where you are not informed of this flaw....

Second observation: when using the menu editor, moving some menu items out of the menu, and some in, I observed that not all menu items are accessible in the menu editor. I.e. The desktop setup, where you determine what wallpaper, once removed from the menu, are not availble anymore to put them back in. De .desktop file however is in perfect order. No reason why it should not be availble.

mistfire

Re: Uk keyboard

#675 Post by mistfire »

Volhout wrote:Dear mistfire,

Tried to set up a UK keyboard , but using the tools in the menu, the only selection was US. I own a laptop with UK keyboard..... one of the online bargains where you are not informed of this flaw....
Use "Mouse/Keyboard wizard" for setting keyboard layout for the meantime
Volhout wrote: Second observation: when using the menu editor, moving some menu items out of the menu, and some in, I observed that not all menu items are accessible in the menu editor. I.e. The desktop setup, where you determine what wallpaper, once removed from the menu, are not availble anymore to put them back in. De .desktop file however is in perfect order. No reason why it should not be availble.
I will try to look that error

Volhout

Keyboard layout

#676 Post by Volhout »

Thanks mistfire

Mouse and Keyboard wizard allow UK keyboard setting.
Save's a lot of time trying to find the "#", "~" and "@".....

Regards,

Volhout

Volhout

ramdisk

#677 Post by Volhout »

dear mistfire,

when xslacko slim starts, I observe that a ram disk is created.
in earlier versions of xslacko, the size of the ram disk was depending on the size of save file and open sfs'es (i.e. 494Mbyte).

in current versions (testing r60) the size is fixed at 1000Mbyte.
I run this on a PC with 1G RAM......

Is this behaviour as designed ? Is RAM disk used for everything? Or is it compressed now ?

another question: do you support zram ?

Regards,

Volhout.

mistfire

#678 Post by mistfire »

@Volhout the ramdisk size created by puppy is always half of RAM. You can already see how big is ramdisk created on booting puppy. X-Slacko Slim has already a zram. It uses around 25% of physical ram for zram
Simple, Magaan, at Mabilis (Simple, Light, and Fast)

zagreb999

KPrinter

#679 Post by zagreb999 »

REGARDS...

KPRINTER IS BETTER THAN CUPS

HOW TO Print to DjVu through KPrinter?

https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/17525.html

CAN YOU MAKE A .PET FILE?

THANK YOU.

mistfire

#680 Post by mistfire »

@zagreb999 here is the pet package I hope it works