Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 11 Dec 2017, 17:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-Slacko Slim 4.4r3 (unique, stable, and flexible)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 42 of 47 [694 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 Next
Author Message
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5313
Location: GB

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep 2017, 10:19    Post subject:  

Quote:
Try to set these parameter before you boot puppy
Code:
pmedia=cd

Doesn't work. Get
Waiting for USB storage... {there isn't any}
Finding puppy main sfs file
Dumping....etc, etc.

/ # { can do 'ls' at this prompt, so some aspect of CLI is active}
All a bit of a disaster since r54, as you can see.

I have amassed a collection of several hundred Linux CDs. They all boot just fine, including your X-Slacko Silm, up to and including r54. Whatever you did after r54 isn't working.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mistfire

Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 657
Location: PH

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep 2017, 01:32    Post subject:  

@Sage It seems I found the error why it does not boot on your machine. I made some tweaks on the init script of initrd. I hope it works on your machine when I upload it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5313
Location: GB

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep 2017, 02:32    Post subject:  

Well, misty, that is good news indeed - I nearly gave up. Yours is a very worthwhile project. What is worrying though, is the deafening silence of the silent majority. Hope they haven't run away...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mistfire

Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 657
Location: PH

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep 2017, 05:26    Post subject:  

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Added Nutyx package (*.cards.tar.xz) support via package conversion
* Some fixes on initrd
* Some fixes on remasterpup, shutdown scripts, edit-initramfs, and pburn

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRkttfZuG0cWVoUG5Na2o2dnM
MD5 Checksum: 0464161e9219d5bbca9db04385f07200
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mistfire

Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 657
Location: PH

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep 2017, 05:33    Post subject:  

@Sage I hope this release works on your machine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5313
Location: GB

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep 2017, 07:18    Post subject:  

It still doesn't work, but you are on the right track - probably. The error messages have changed.
Goes straight into 'Loading vmlinuz.. EDD: Errorreading sector 77771

...more error messages, then

'Decompressing Linux...
Xz-compressed data is corrupt

-- System halted


I'm no expert in coding, but it would seem expedient to compare r57 with r54 which works perfectly!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mistfire

Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 657
Location: PH

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep 2017, 08:03    Post subject:  

@Sage it looks like the problem lies on the init script. I will try another release

UPDATE:

Some questions for you:

Did you try to check the MD5 Checksum of the ISO file? If it is matched does your RAM memory working fine? If both are fine try to use other disc media to burn the iso image
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5313
Location: GB

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep 2017, 02:28    Post subject:  

Sorry to disappoint you, misty. My d/l s are fine, my mem. and machines are all OK. Same errors on all media. Bear in mind I have access to ~30 fully functional machines of all different types at any one time. Furthermore, I keep an r54 disc at hand to be sure it's the SW not the HW having issues!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mistfire

Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 657
Location: PH

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep 2017, 06:05    Post subject:  

Well in that case @Sage, Can you try these procedures (if it is okay to you):

1. Boot x-slacko slim r54
2. Mount a partition and make a folder named puppylivecdbuild
3. Copy initrd.xz from r54 disc to puppylivecdbuild folder and unmount the r54 disc
4. Mount x-slacko slim r57 and copy all the contents to puppylivecdbuild folder except initrd.xz
5. Run Puppy Remaster CD and select the partition where puppylivecdbuild folder is located
6. If the remaster asked to use it again. Click YES.
7. Follow other instructions until you reached to burn to disc or make an image file. (Its upon to you to make an image first and burn to disc or burn to disc right away)
8. Then test the disc that you created by booting it.

Last edited by mistfire on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 01:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1355

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep 2017, 06:26    Post subject:  

Hi Mistfire,

Hey, have a philosphical question, sort of: how small (in ISO mb-size) do you think your X-Slacko-Slim could get if only Midori, a window manager, a file manager, a terminal, and PPM (in case anyone wants anything more) and noting else included except that which is/was necessary to bootup and get to the desktop run stuff? How small would it be, you think?

Reason I ask? I (and a few friends) have a lot of USB sticks lying around, that are somewhat old but still good. The problem is that they are all 125MB in size, which in reality works out to about ~112-115MB after you've formatted with fat and/or ext.

We are using currently ThinSlacko5.3.3t (from Micko), but it (and its components) are getting long in the tooth since stuff is dated from 2013. Is there any chance one lazy Sunday I could get you to give a go at your X-slacko-slim and release an ULTRA-X-Slacko-Slim? Wink I think I wouldn't be the only one on murga interested in this. In the past, ThinSlacko (and Unicorn, by Phil) were two very, very popular releases on murga when it came to barebones pups that included what I listed above (essentially, it is an ultra-small browsing pup and that's it). Both were/are about 80-90mb ISOs, and were/are just fantastic. But like I said, they're getting a bit dated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mistfire

Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 657
Location: PH

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep 2017, 10:44    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Mistfire,

Hey, have a philosphical question, sort of: how small (in ISO mb-size) do you think your X-Slacko-Slim could get if only Midori, a window manager, a file manager, a terminal, and PPM (in case anyone wants anything more) and noting else included except that which is/was necessary to bootup and get to the desktop run stuff? How small would it be, you think?

Reason I ask? I (and a few friends) have a lot of USB sticks lying around, that are somewhat old but still good. The problem is that they are all 125MB in size, which in reality works out to about ~112-115MB after you've formatted with fat and/or ext.

We are using currently ThinSlacko5.3.3t (from Micko), but it (and its components) are getting long in the tooth since stuff is dated from 2013. Is there any chance one lazy Sunday I could get you to give a go at your X-slacko-slim and release an ULTRA-X-Slacko-Slim? Wink I think I wouldn't be the only one on murga interested in this. In the past, ThinSlacko (and Unicorn, by Phil) were two very, very popular releases on murga when it came to barebones pups that included what I listed above (essentially, it is an ultra-small browsing pup and that's it). Both were/are about 80-90mb ISOs, and were/are just fantastic. But like I said, they're getting a bit dated.


belham2 the actual current size of X-Slacko Slim is 150+ Mb (minus uefi boot image which is 10 Mb). If gstreamer, mplayer, midori browser, lynx, bluez, and some kernel modules is removed. It will go down to 100Mb or lower. You can make your own a smaller version of X-Slacko Slim by using the build kit that I released alongside with X-Slacko the link was in the first post of the thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1355

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep 2017, 13:11    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi Mistfire,

Hey, have a philosphical question, sort of: how small (in ISO mb-size) do you think your X-Slacko-Slim could get if only Midori, a window manager, a file manager, a terminal, and PPM (in case anyone wants anything more) and noting else included except that which is/was necessary to bootup and get to the desktop run stuff? How small would it be, you think?

Reason I ask? I (and a few friends) have a lot of USB sticks lying around, that are somewhat old but still good. The problem is that they are all 125MB in size, which in reality works out to about ~112-115MB after you've formatted with fat and/or ext.

We are using currently ThinSlacko5.3.3t (from Micko), but it (and its components) are getting long in the tooth since stuff is dated from 2013. Is there any chance one lazy Sunday I could get you to give a go at your X-slacko-slim and release an ULTRA-X-Slacko-Slim? Wink I think I wouldn't be the only one on murga interested in this. In the past, ThinSlacko (and Unicorn, by Phil) were two very, very popular releases on murga when it came to barebones pups that included what I listed above (essentially, it is an ultra-small browsing pup and that's it). Both were/are about 80-90mb ISOs, and were/are just fantastic. But like I said, they're getting a bit dated.


belham2 the actual current size of X-Slacko Slim is 150+ Mb (minus uefi boot image which is 10 Mb). If gstreamer, mplayer, midori browser, lynx, bluez, and some kernel modules is removed. It will go down to 100Mb or lower. You can make your own a smaller version of X-Slacko Slim by using the build kit that I released alongside with X-Slacko the link was in the first post of the thread.


Thanks, Mistfire. To be honest, I completely overlooked Embarassed that you had the option for us to give a build a try. I just downloaded everything, setting it up now as "pristine" 'frugal' install, and am going to give it a go. My problem is that (in woof-CE and Ddog builds also), I always end up cutting too much out, not realizing it is needed for getting to the desktop, or setting the network up, or running the browser, things like that. I am good in the other direction----I can make builds nice & fat & dress 'em up purdy Wink . Wish me luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mistfire

Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 657
Location: PH

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep 2017, 21:30    Post subject:  

Good luck belham2 on your build. By the way there are some more big files on X-Slacko Slim it is up to you whether delete it or not.

photorec
testdisk
adb
fastboot
gir files
gtk docs
some xorg drivers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 5313
Location: GB

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct 2017, 05:43    Post subject:  

Quote:
Well in that case @Sage, Can you try these procedures (if it is okay to you):

Good news, misty! Took several attempts, but your procedure worked. What next?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
LyFrost


Joined: 10 Mar 2017
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct 2017, 07:17    Post subject:  

Hi,
Just wanted to ask a question about this distro since i'm used to XFCe DE :
Can i run this distro for Dev purpose ? (running IDE's like Eclipse (Java, Python, C/C++) - Brackets ...etc)
i'm searching for something lightweight and stable using XFCe DE and it seems this one might do the trick Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 42 of 47 [694 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0601s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0097s) ][ GZIP on ]