X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#61 Post by mistfire »

New x-slacko slim iteration:

Changes:
* Full pup to pet conversion (app files inside PET packages instead of tarballs from pup)
* Wine ready. Just install wine and double-click the windows executable file to run Windows applications. It also works on MSI Installers, BAT, CMD, and COM, VBS, and REG file.
* Win Button is binded to whisker menu

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/td2cf ... 70816r.iso

Sailor Enceladus

#62 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mistfire, your newest iso is running well for me. I got my CPU back up to 1.86GHz atm (it is 'real hardware' - lol) and the depmod and loading network-drivers is a lot faster now. It turns out the "Segmentation Fault" was something silly about ddcprobe, I think I seen it in one version of LxPupSc also and was kernel related there, and I think puppy is getting rid of ddcprobe anyway so maybe it doesn't matter. The archive manager does not seem to be able to open zip files, at least the ones I tried, but just typing "unzip file.zip" in the terminal works. The wine integration is nice and the icons match well, and Thunar actually manages to run exes correctly that rely on data files that are located in the same directory (in Rox it seems to look in /root by default for them instead and fails, so I used Wine Explorer to click on them as a workaround), maybe that magic comes from the pre-wine script. Posted this message from inside Midori, which has a much more readable font on this forum than Opera 12.16 did.

edit: I forgot to mention, your browser history was still in midori when I opened it... googling pups to pets came up - heh.

Marv

#63 Post by Marv »

mistfire, This old XFCE fan just now got around to trying out your remaster of X-slacko. I manually installed it Grub4Dos frugal on my iwlwifi core 2 duo lapto to start. Congrats! It is a careful, thoughtful piece of work built on a solid base. Runs well in all aspects, the size and careful pruning of apps are both laudable as Office, CAD, and others are all available as SFSs. Midori imported my Opera bookmarks exported as HTML without a hitch and functions well as an inbuilt browser (once running I use shared portable browsers in all my pups). A great pup for those of us who run 'gracefully aged' machines. Alas I can't run it on my stable of Pentium M laptops where it would really shine because the 3.14.56 PAE kernel from X-slacko 4.1 doesn't have the forcepae patch enabled. In X-slacko 4.1 I swapped kernels but without a separate z_drv (I know that was discussed earlier in this thread) that is much harder here. Depending on how you remastered you might or might not have a list of what was in the trimmed z_drive. With that, I could back that out of the main SFS and have a go at swapping the kernel. With PeasyWiFi version 4.1 the dropouts in those Pentium M ipw2200 laptops is finally conquered without the bother of either static IP addresses or dropwait patches :D :D :D and that gives me new energy to keep them alive.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

quirkian2new

#64 Post by quirkian2new »

hello,
I noticed there is a description "With MTP client." at the beginning of the first post. Does it mean it can have my android phone "plug and play" and transfer my photos in android phone to PC with just a few clicks ? If this is so, it sounds very interesting. thanks

mistfire

#65 Post by mistfire »

quirkian2new wrote:hello,
I noticed there is a description "With MTP client." at the beginning of the first post. Does it mean it can have my android phone "plug and play" and transfer my photos in android phone to PC with just a few clicks ? If this is so, it sounds very interesting. thanks
--Yes it is. just plug your phone, run gMTP, and click connect. You can now transfer files between your phone and PC

quirkian2new

#66 Post by quirkian2new »

Yes it works for me. Excellent distro. Thank you very much Mistfire.

Tested OK for a HTC and a SAMSUNG android phone. It is just plug and play.
Attachments
xslakco.png
(17.44 KiB) Downloaded 809 times

mistfire

#67 Post by mistfire »

Youre welcome @quirkian2new.

mistfire

#68 Post by mistfire »

New X-slacko-slim iteration released

Changes:
* Broken SFS converter fixed
* Improved pup to pet conversion

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/l49ai ... 071016.iso

Pelo

version 10 jul just started.

#69 Post by Pelo »

version 10 jul just started. Midori as browser and Parole as Media player, Well :!: this Slim Puppy has its own menu. People will like or won't.
Bravo ! :D
Public Wireless connected (outside my house). Settings kept at reboot.
French keyboard available
Access to all drives : no trouble
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 08:36, edited 2 times in total.

Billtoo

X-slacko Slim (experimental but stable and flexible)

#70 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to a usb-3.0 SSD, pc is a lenovo desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 10 Jul 2016 on X-Slacko 4.1 Linux 3.14.56 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)

X Server: Xorg Driver: nouveau
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Core 0: @2003 1: @2003 MHz

I fattened it up by adding applications with PPM + some pets.

It's working very well so far.
Thanks

Edit: I downloaded and compiled the newest proprietary Nvidia driver
for my graphics card:

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 361.45.18
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(115.51 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 10 Jul 2016, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

X-slacko Slim on Pentium Ms

#71 Post by Marv »

Hoorah! I have Slim up and running on the slowest of my Pentium M laptop stable using the forcepae kernel option. I unsquashed the main SFS and manually built three versions with kernels 3.14.20 PAE, 4.5.2 PAE, and 4.6.3 PAE. Resquashed with XZ HC. Needed to do this for the kernel swap since there's no z_dev. All boot and run well and the size penalty is a couple of Mb or less looking at both vmlinux and the main SFS (I added and subtracted a font or two since I was in there). Looking at load times and glxgears I decided on the 4.5.2 kernel (from LxPupXenial) for my Pentium M trials. PWF 4.1 continues to be THE wireless connection solution for them as it solves their dropout issue without having to go to a static IP. Posting from Midori on the least of the Pentium M laptop fleet now. Tis stable and flexible indeed :)
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sailor Enceladus

X-slacko Slim on Pentium Ms

#72 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Marv just curious, what cpu model are your Pentium Ms? I'm guessing they're the ones with 400MHz FSB? On my Pentium M 750 this x-slacko can boot to desktop, it's just that depmod and loading network-drivers takes a long time (~3-4x more than usual).

Also, do you know if this kernel config below has the forcepae patch, and which line corresponds to it?
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/blob/testing/kernel-kit/configs_extra/DOTconfig-3.14.54-slacko32

Marv

#73 Post by Marv »

Sailor Enceladus, Yes, all of my Pentium M machines are near identical Fujitsu S6210s and S6220s and all have 400 MHz FSB. The Pentium M # on the one I have here is M 725. All show pae capability in hardinfo, none have the pae flag set, and none will boot, giving the standard nag message... This kernel requires capabilities your processor doesn't have blah blah blah.

All kernels post 3.15 should have forcepae capability built in so that one should be ok with nothing extra needed wrt config. Prior to that a patch had to be applied at compile.

Booting on my machines isn't bad but it doesn't take too much real work like squashing or unsquashing or loading big (6000 lines) files like a dotconfig to throw them into a major fuss. Day to day light use is ok.

Pelo

Parole : check list of tests

#74 Post by Pelo »

Videos avi : screencast of Xenialpup desktop by Vokoscreen. VLC unable to read it (vdpau missing). Transfered to Parole and ... sucessfull.
Videos Mpeg, MP4, FLV : audio and video successfully played by Parole
Video ogv :audio and video successfully played by Parole
CD : audio successfully played by Parole
DVD : INOP (Euro 2016 DVDs will be released next days)
Attachments
Vokoscreen.jpg
Parole plays the video.
(37.1 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 00:42, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

CDs (reading)

#75 Post by Pelo »

Topic CDs created in section Hardware audio click the blue to jump there. Perhaps the solution is given in this section hardware. Xenialpup plays SR0 without trouble.
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#76 Post by mistfire »

Can you try to play in parole. using this url? >> cdda://dev/sr0

Pelo

Midori plays Youtube !

#77 Post by Pelo »

Mistfire, bonjour, you are yet here ! i was searching on the forum. Ok i will try it. I reintroduce X-slacko Slim in my ram. (X-Slacko, Tahrpup 6.0.2 and Xenialpup are on the same pendrive, i just have to jump for one to the other)

Xfburn installed form Salix Packages. Then what about SR0... :?
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 17 Jul 2016, 20:43, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

CDs player

#78 Post by Pelo »

url? >> cdda://dev/sr0
"Parole needs Audio CD source to play this file.
It can be installed automatically." install : yes
Nothing happens
That could help : insert disc is inactive
I think some libs are missing. Searching ... :roll:

CDs (reading)
SR0 cannot be mounted CD however is seen by Pburn. Mistery to clear.
"Volume sr0 cannot be mounted because it is an audio CD.
It doesn't have a filesystem." :( mistfire , help please...
'/root/.pup_event/drive_sr0' to check.
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 08:28, edited 4 times in total.

Pelo

DVD player

#79 Post by Pelo »

I test a DVD.... DVD is seen :!: :shock:
CD sro cannot be mounted, but no trouble with DVD Mounting... Strange, isn't it ?
Attachments
dvd-chapters.png
What it should be.
(188.74 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
DVD.jpg
What it is
(39.07 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 11 Jul 2016, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#80 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo as I know, audio CDs are not mountable just like DVDs

This may help you
http://askubuntu.com/questions/102406/h ... dio-cd-dvd