Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 15:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-Slacko Slim 4.2r60 (unique, stable, and flexible)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 39 of 46 [679 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 02:48    Post subject:  

Nice work, misty, thanks. Small, fast, Slacko, CD-R, what more could anyone wish for...
mistfire

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 05:59    Post subject:  

Thanks @Sage I will keep it as small as possible
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 15 Aug 2017, 07:45    Post subject: I keep a version with parole in my toolcase  

I keep a version with parole in my toolcase. Playing to-day.. Parole is for Xfce.. Better than VLC, Gnome-mplayer ? No, but that changes the menu, the so classical menu
Something different, from time to time. To day, spanish de america del sur.
Just use my Puppy, no removal, no add , as it is.. as a passenger on Sunday relaxing time.
X-Slacko Slim 4.2r ??? (unique, stable, and flexible)

Last edited by Pelo on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 04:18; edited 1 time in total
mistfire

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017, 11:21    Post subject:  

Hello I'm currently playing with tiny core packages. I hope that it will reduce the size of X-Slacko Slim. As of now I'm successfully created a smaller initrd using xz compression and some tiny core packages which is 1.7Mb compared to current initrd which is 2.8Mb but the user friendliness was still remain.

Also tiny core version of mplayer works. its files size was 10Mb compared to 12Mb current size. I hope gstreamer will become smaller as well.
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017, 19:41    Post subject: Don't let Dogs be slimmer than our puppies :)  

Do as you like, Mistfire.. you will be able to go one step backwards if you did the wrong way. Don't let Dogs be slimmer than our puppies Smile
Some devs get their Puppy Slimmer by providing tiny browser (elinks) or no browser.. That is not valuable..
XZ compression is better for downloading, but worse for opening.. Not really important.. some seconds to start are nothing when you spend hours and hours playing your Puppy..

mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug 2017, 08:27    Post subject:  

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released:

Changes:
* More optimization for small screen
* Smaller but user friendly initrd
* Improved EeePC mode configuration
* Some support for OLPC XO-1 and Sony Vaio laptops
* Reduced filesize

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRkttfZuG0U20zZmUzS2pTS2s
MD5 Checksum: e702c2c6af040cdee81733a5c3228fb6
Sage

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug 2017, 08:46    Post subject:  

If you can do it, wondering why the rest can't, don't, won't?! Thanks again, misty.
Puppyt

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug 2017, 20:08    Post subject:  

Dammit - my Vaio VGN-TX37GP would have been ideal for this I think, but alas the mbo carked about 3 weeks ago. Might work well in the replacement Lenovo x130e however... thanks, mistfire

Last edited by Puppyt on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 01:13; edited 1 time in total
mistfire

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug 2017, 22:21    Post subject:  

@Puppyt i hope it works on your laptop
Volhout

PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug 2017, 03:40    Post subject: r53 is really good  

mistfire,

Not sure what you did, but r53 works superb on my DELL E6430 laptop.
Maybe it is in the 4.12 kernel, maybe it is the zdrive, not sure, but this works flawless.

No video (blackscreen) problems anymore (the last version without this problem was r37).
Wifi works
Audio works
Touchpad and mouse work
Ethernet works

The rest I still have to test, but it looks like this one is compatible with my hardware.

Thanxxxxx

P.S. what is the devx you used for this version ? Any changes for this kernel ?
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug 2017, 23:15    Post subject:  

@Volhout Im not modifying the kernel. Im just using lxpup kernel. Some firmware drivers is now on zdrv which is originally came from carolina vanguard. DEVX file download link was on the first post of this thread
Volhout

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep 2017, 09:55    Post subject: r53 testing  

Dear mistfire,

I have used your X-Slacko Slim 4.2r53 today, and must say it is working fine.

Just some remarks:

1/ I use it in on a laptop in an electronics development environment (hobby) and regular need a serial port terminal. After years of using different tools, I have settled on using Gtk-term. There is a PET on ibiblio, in the earlier PET folders called: gtkterm-0.99.7-rc1-w5c.pet that works flawless on X-Slacko.
It is small in size (37k) registers in the menu, and would be a nice addition to X-Slacko's functionality.

2/ Maybe a bug: When I open "Treesize" it eats up some 100 Mbyte of RAM (Taskmanager, RAM use from 140Mbyte to 240 Mbyte). But after closing Treesize again, this is not freed up again. Btw, it is not clear to me why you value Treesize over the Gdmap in regular puppy, that gives better overview. But that is personal I think.

2a/ In taskmanager there are also 3 instances of "wrapper-1.0". Any idea what these are used for ? Is this related to Wine preparation ? Curiousity mainly. It works, so I should not bother.....

3/ Out of curiousity too: your X-Slacko Slim has 2 remarkable features that are not common in other puppies: IRDA and WINE. Although Wine is not included in the iso, preparations are installed. What is your application ? Are you supporting old PDA's, phones, printers (IRDA ?) or what ??

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. I default also install DOSBOX 0.74, but that is larger in size....
mistfire

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep 2017, 08:27    Post subject:  

@Volhaut

Quote:
1/ I use it in on a laptop in an electronics development environment (hobby) and regular need a serial port terminal. After years of using different tools, I have settled on using Gtk-term. There is a PET on ibiblio, in the earlier PET folders called: gtkterm-0.99.7-rc1-w5c.pet that works flawless on X-Slacko.
It is small in size (37k) registers in the menu, and would be a nice addition to X-Slacko's functionality.

Did you try putty? Its also works on serial ports

Quote:
2/ Maybe a bug: When I open "Treesize" it eats up some 100 Mbyte of RAM (Taskmanager, RAM use from 140Mbyte to 240 Mbyte). But after closing Treesize again, this is not freed up again. Btw, it is not clear to me why you value Treesize over the Gdmap in regular puppy, that gives better overview. But that is personal I think.

2a/ In taskmanager there are also 3 instances of "wrapper-1.0". Any idea what these are used for ? Is this related to Wine preparation ? Curiousity mainly. It works, so I should not bother.....

It is a bug of treesize. Its the developers flaw not from me. wrapper-1.0 was xfce panel items

Quote:
3/ Out of curiousity too: your X-Slacko Slim has 2 remarkable features that are not common in other puppies: IRDA and WINE. Although Wine is not included in the iso, preparations are installed. What is your application ? Are you supporting old PDA's, phones, printers (IRDA ?) or what ??

Yes it is wine ready just installed wine and you are good to go. You are right I will just try to support old devices especially Irda data transfer
mistfire

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep 2017, 18:01    Post subject:  

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Failed to boot on UEFI is fixed
* Rock solid initrd. It reboots when exiting the console
* Improvements on power management. Automatic sleep is now working and standardized brightness adjustment
* gtkterm is added
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRkttfZuG0VVVtVmNRcEZQdzA
MD5 Checksum: 35dd08d2ab50ac35533b0eff75f55f19
Volhout

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep 2017, 02:42    Post subject: WINE  

dear mistfire,

thanks for adding gtk term to the image. it works fine.
yesterday tried to add wine, and package manager gave met a list of 10 options.
I tried a few, but in the end realized that wine pulls in mono, and gecko, and in the end exceeded my save file size.

Do you use an SFS that contains all ?

Reason I am asking: I try to revive an old project on a PIC microchip, and have pk2cmd installed to program the pic through pickit2. That part works on Xslacko-Slim. But I would use an old windows version of MPLAB to develop. Thus the requirement for WINE. It is a try, since I am not sure the old MPLAB even works under wine.

Regards,

Volhout
Page 39 of 46 [679 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: