X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#571 Post by Sage »

Nice work, misty, thanks. Small, fast, Slacko, CD-R, what more could anyone wish for...

mistfire

#572 Post by mistfire »

Thanks @Sage I will keep it as small as possible

Pelo

I keep a version with parole in my toolcase

#573 Post by Pelo »

I keep a version with parole in my toolcase. Playing to-day.. Parole is for Xfce.. Better than VLC, Gnome-mplayer ? No, but that changes the menu, the so classical menu
Something different, from time to time. To day, spanish de america del sur.
Just use my Puppy, no removal, no add , as it is.. as a passenger on Sunday relaxing time.
X-Slacko Slim 4.2r ??? (unique, stable, and flexible)
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#574 Post by mistfire »

Hello I'm currently playing with tiny core packages. I hope that it will reduce the size of X-Slacko Slim. As of now I'm successfully created a smaller initrd using xz compression and some tiny core packages which is 1.7Mb compared to current initrd which is 2.8Mb but the user friendliness was still remain.

Also tiny core version of mplayer works. its files size was 10Mb compared to 12Mb current size. I hope gstreamer will become smaller as well.

Pelo

Don't let Dogs be slimmer than our puppies :)

#575 Post by Pelo »

Do as you like, Mistfire.. you will be able to go one step backwards if you did the wrong way. Don't let Dogs be slimmer than our puppies :)
Some devs get their Puppy Slimmer by providing tiny browser (elinks) or no browser.. That is not valuable..
XZ compression is better for downloading, but worse for opening.. Not really important.. some seconds to start are nothing when you spend hours and hours playing your Puppy..

mistfire

#576 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released:

Changes:
* More optimization for small screen
* Smaller but user friendly initrd
* Improved EeePC mode configuration
* Some support for OLPC XO-1 and Sony Vaio laptops
* Reduced filesize

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... mUzS2pTS2s
MD5 Checksum: e702c2c6af040cdee81733a5c3228fb6

Sage

#577 Post by Sage »

If you can do it, wondering why the rest can't, don't, won't?! Thanks again, misty.

Puppyt

#578 Post by Puppyt »

Dammit - my Vaio VGN-TX37GP would have been ideal for this I think, but alas the mbo carked about 3 weeks ago. Might work well in the replacement Lenovo x130e however... thanks, mistfire
Last edited by Puppyt on Sat 26 Aug 2017, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

mistfire

#579 Post by mistfire »

@Puppyt i hope it works on your laptop

Volhout

r53 is really good

#580 Post by Volhout »

mistfire,

Not sure what you did, but r53 works superb on my DELL E6430 laptop.
Maybe it is in the 4.12 kernel, maybe it is the zdrive, not sure, but this works flawless.

No video (blackscreen) problems anymore (the last version without this problem was r37).
Wifi works
Audio works
Touchpad and mouse work
Ethernet works

The rest I still have to test, but it looks like this one is compatible with my hardware.

Thanxxxxx

P.S. what is the devx you used for this version ? Any changes for this kernel ?

mistfire

#581 Post by mistfire »

@Volhout Im not modifying the kernel. Im just using lxpup kernel. Some firmware drivers is now on zdrv which is originally came from carolina vanguard. DEVX file download link was on the first post of this thread

Volhout

r53 testing

#582 Post by Volhout »

Dear mistfire,

I have used your X-Slacko Slim 4.2r53 today, and must say it is working fine.

Just some remarks:

1/ I use it in on a laptop in an electronics development environment (hobby) and regular need a serial port terminal. After years of using different tools, I have settled on using Gtk-term. There is a PET on ibiblio, in the earlier PET folders called: gtkterm-0.99.7-rc1-w5c.pet that works flawless on X-Slacko.
It is small in size (37k) registers in the menu, and would be a nice addition to X-Slacko's functionality.

2/ Maybe a bug: When I open "Treesize" it eats up some 100 Mbyte of RAM (Taskmanager, RAM use from 140Mbyte to 240 Mbyte). But after closing Treesize again, this is not freed up again. Btw, it is not clear to me why you value Treesize over the Gdmap in regular puppy, that gives better overview. But that is personal I think.

2a/ In taskmanager there are also 3 instances of "wrapper-1.0". Any idea what these are used for ? Is this related to Wine preparation ? Curiousity mainly. It works, so I should not bother.....

3/ Out of curiousity too: your X-Slacko Slim has 2 remarkable features that are not common in other puppies: IRDA and WINE. Although Wine is not included in the iso, preparations are installed. What is your application ? Are you supporting old PDA's, phones, printers (IRDA ?) or what ??

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. I default also install DOSBOX 0.74, but that is larger in size....

mistfire

#583 Post by mistfire »

@Volhaut
1/ I use it in on a laptop in an electronics development environment (hobby) and regular need a serial port terminal. After years of using different tools, I have settled on using Gtk-term. There is a PET on ibiblio, in the earlier PET folders called: gtkterm-0.99.7-rc1-w5c.pet that works flawless on X-Slacko.
It is small in size (37k) registers in the menu, and would be a nice addition to X-Slacko's functionality.
Did you try putty? Its also works on serial ports

2/ Maybe a bug: When I open "Treesize" it eats up some 100 Mbyte of RAM (Taskmanager, RAM use from 140Mbyte to 240 Mbyte). But after closing Treesize again, this is not freed up again. Btw, it is not clear to me why you value Treesize over the Gdmap in regular puppy, that gives better overview. But that is personal I think.

2a/ In taskmanager there are also 3 instances of "wrapper-1.0". Any idea what these are used for ? Is this related to Wine preparation ? Curiousity mainly. It works, so I should not bother.....
It is a bug of treesize. Its the developers flaw not from me. wrapper-1.0 was xfce panel items

3/ Out of curiousity too: your X-Slacko Slim has 2 remarkable features that are not common in other puppies: IRDA and WINE. Although Wine is not included in the iso, preparations are installed. What is your application ? Are you supporting old PDA's, phones, printers (IRDA ?) or what ??

Yes it is wine ready just installed wine and you are good to go. You are right I will just try to support old devices especially Irda data transfer

mistfire

#584 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Failed to boot on UEFI is fixed
* Rock solid initrd. It reboots when exiting the console
* Improvements on power management. Automatic sleep is now working and standardized brightness adjustment
* gtkterm is added
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... mNRcEZQdzA
MD5 Checksum: 35dd08d2ab50ac35533b0eff75f55f19

Volhout

WINE

#585 Post by Volhout »

dear mistfire,

thanks for adding gtk term to the image. it works fine.
yesterday tried to add wine, and package manager gave met a list of 10 options.
I tried a few, but in the end realized that wine pulls in mono, and gecko, and in the end exceeded my save file size.

Do you use an SFS that contains all ?

Reason I am asking: I try to revive an old project on a PIC microchip, and have pk2cmd installed to program the pic through pickit2. That part works on Xslacko-Slim. But I would use an old windows version of MPLAB to develop. Thus the requirement for WINE. It is a try, since I am not sure the old MPLAB even works under wine.

Regards,

Volhout

mistfire

#586 Post by mistfire »

@Volhaut I always use wine package from slackware repo. I didnt try the wine SFS get. You may consult http://appdb.winehq.org to check app compatibility on wine

Volhout

tray save file right click

#587 Post by Volhout »

dear mistfire,

if I righclick on the save file ion in the tray it disappears. As far as I know it should bring up the dialog for save file enlargment. See attached.

Any idea how to fix this ?
Attachments
clipboard1.png
(10.31 KiB) Downloaded 511 times

Pelo

mistfire should easily repair it. It is not a No-Go item.

#588 Post by Pelo »

mistfire should easily repair it. It is not a No-Go item. With Puppy you can launch resizepup from the menu or in Usr/share/applications, and from the terminal too ( resizepfile.sh)
My idea, is to link it to the desktop
Screenshot :
Els 101 cadells de la meva gossera
Attachments
dalmatien.jpg
X-Slim 101st Puppy in my kennel (Catalan)
(83.64 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 29 Sep 2017, 09:40, edited 3 times in total.

mistfire

#589 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo, @Volhaut. The problem that you encounter is the xfce right-click issue. When you right click an item on the toolbar it will show a menu with very fast pace and selected the end portion of the context menu. Since Resize Storage has an exit menu at the end of the context. It will automatically clicks it and exit. A developers which have a knowledge in xfce can fix that. Im just in bash scripts. The best solution for that was right-click and hold then select.

zagreb999

hdd-hp-pavilion-win8.1-uefi

#590 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

how it can be installed
on hdd of hp pavilion win 8.1
uefi (8 gb ram)?
automatic boot.
with unetbootin?
win8.1 is deleted.
i use only linux.

thanks.