X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#436 Post by Sage »

Another great update, thanks. Everything working. More changes than a Trump twitter, or should that be twit!

Volhout

R37

#437 Post by Volhout »

Have been running R37 over the past weeks, and it is remarkable stable.
Developing some modbus (python) software on it, using the devx and have not seen any issues.

Compliments to mistfire, and all the developers behind slacko 6

Pelo

version 38 downloading from Google Drive.

#438 Post by Pelo »

version 38 downloading from Google Drive.
Feed Back soon.

belham2

#439 Post by belham2 »

Wow, r38 is buggy on my systems in multiple ways. It is ignoring savefiles. Sometimes it is eating savefiles, randomly, causing me to have to reinstall the system. Been thru 4 tries now, different machines. I should have known something was wrong with r38 when it wouldn't recognize the backup savefile from r37. And I could not, depsite repeatedly trying and freshly frgually installing r38 (and making a savefile)...I could not back up the savefile in r38 without r38 randomly deleting the destination the savefile was heading to and then, incredibly, turning around and also deleting itself off the frugal install where it was coming from. I haven't seen anything like this, since, well, a virus infected machine of my friends...lol.

Mistfire, r38 has major problems, and I've tried frugal installs now on 3 different devices and two different computers. It is repeating the above behavior always, not just some of the times. And, yes, i redownloaded r38 again, cheksumed it, and no difference.

I don't know who said r38 is "stable" earlier in the thread, but r38 is anything but stable on the 4 diff AMD Athlon II X2 systems that i've tried. These systems have numerous other puppies running on, all frugal installs of many diff pups, and all other pups are fine.

Hope this gets worked out. I don't know (can't figure out) what changed from r37 to r38, but whatever it was effectively killed all usability on my machines. The savefile behavior is just alarming.

I've got a sneaking suspicion the problem lies in the xorg change from r37 to r38. I just put r37 back in on a frugal install, and all problems disappeared and it is stable as heck. r38 again on another sole USB stick, frugally installed, and it is eating savefile files left and right, Midori is non-functional, etc, etc. And this is from using 2 different downloaded r38 ISOs.

[UPDATE]
r38 sometimes reads a savefile, sometimes destroys it, other times is ignoring it. Not sure what is going on now........weird behavior. I know it's not my systems as I've tried on too many different usb drives, sticks, sd cards now, and the random behavior keeps occurring.

mistfire

#440 Post by mistfire »

@belham2 very strange indeed. on r38 I just revised only xorgwizard script, xinitrc, logout_gui, and shutdowngui. I wonder why savefile and init script is affected. But r38 works fine on my real computer and also in virtualbox.

What filesystem did you use on frugal install?

step

#441 Post by step »

@mistfire, fyi r33 and r34 didn't boot in Qemu, they stopped at modprobe. r31 and r38 boot fine in Qemu.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Sage

#442 Post by Sage »

Don't worry, misty, been using it since you released it and haven't found a single problem yet. Some folks want to loop-de-loop, not understanding the power of a super-slim distro, ideally deployed as a live-CD for diagnostics and untraceable (ipso facto unsaved!) browsing, inter alia. Carry on regardless...

Pelo

We will take the time to explain new comers, won't we.

#443 Post by Pelo »

We will take the time to explain new comers, won't we.. ? X-Xlacko Slim works well for me too (r38 not yet launched).
Savefile from r37 to r38, first point to check for belham2
Ignoring savefiles was existing on a french puppy too..
I will launch r38 soon, this afternoon i think. I will use and old pupsave to check.

belham2

#444 Post by belham2 »

mistfire wrote:@belham2 very strange indeed. on r38 I just revised only xorgwizard script, xinitrc, logout_gui, and shutdowngui. I wonder why savefile and init script is affected. But r38 works fine on my real computer and also in virtualbox.

What filesystem did you use on frugal install?
Hi Mistfire,

Installed on EXT4. All frugal installed attempts. At random times, if there is any attempt to backup any Savefile created in r38, the system just crashes itself and attempts to wipe that savefile from existence. Had another Linux prgrammer friend look at it, and he encountered the same problem. Just start pulling your frugal install savefiles around, from inside r38, and you'll see what happens. Unlike some others here, who attempt to make others believe the world is flat because everything they offer an opinion on is 'flat' to their self-ruled world, there are problems and they are being reproduced.

Noticeably, if you take a known, good working r37 savefile from a frugally install, and drop in r38's vmlinuz, initrd.gz & puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs, r38 will boot and ignores about 50% of what is in the r37 savefile. Then, if you re-set that 50% and correct it back to what existed before, save it in the now r38-controlled savefile, and next attempt to backup that r38-controlled savefile on another thumbdrive, partition and/or device, r38 just randonly goes off-kilter and, a few times, eventually nearly destroys the newly created savefile. Thankfully, it is easy to keep the old r37 savefile intact through backups and reset things back in the stable r37.

Something changed from r37 to r38. Now that I know another more-experienced 'flat-earther' had the exact same problems happen to him in trying to setup r38, it is a bit hard to ignore it

Doesn't matter: for now I'll stick to r37, it works great and is stable, and can handle the many duties I put it through while it's frugally installed on different devices (currently: an old IDE hd, usb and two sdcards).

step

#445 Post by step »

I have absolutely no idea of why that happens to belham2's save file, but when I read it a thought crossed my mind regarding a similar experience I had with another puppy. Instead of trashing the save file at random, something chopped the save dir at random. The culprit turned out to be a bad kernel in combination with the file system (f2fs) on the USB key. Changing the kernel to a more stable version, and formatting the USB key with ext4 stopped the problem.
I don't mean to suggest that this is exactly the problem in belham2's case.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Billtoo

X-Slacko Slim 4.2r38 (unique, stable, and flexible)

#446 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to my Lenovo desktop.

System: Host: Puppy-PC Kernel: 3.14.56 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.3.2
Machine: Device: desktop System: LENOVO product: 7491B8U v: ThinkCentre M58e serial: MJ01509
Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A serial: INVALID BIOS: LENOVO v: 5HKT39AUS date: 06/17/2009
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2003/3003 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 123x43 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
Drives: HDD Total Size: 328.1GB (4.4% used)
Weather: Conditions: 25 F (-4 C) - Overcast Time: February 11, 10:55 AM EST
Info: Processes: 121 Uptime: 7 min Memory: 153.5/3924.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

I'm not concerned about keeping it small so I added stuff with PPM,pets,and compiled some.

No problems so far.
Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(76.38 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

Pelo

X-Slacko slim version 38 lancée without trouble.

#447 Post by Pelo »

X-Slacko slim version 38 lancée without trouble. Reboot, pupsave loaded without a bug..
I search a driver for Kernel 3.14.56 RTL8192CU for my wireless dongle.. for X-Slacko slim..
That will get my connexion much better.. Anybody knows ?
Attachments
Wifi .jpg
This one !
(72.28 KiB) Downloaded 351 times

mistfire

#448 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* New quicksetup
* Bugfixes on xorgwizard GUI

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... mJzcl8xdTg
MD5 checksum: d73e407efcc4b6d57db1639a73e75481

mistfire

#449 Post by mistfire »

Hi Mistfire,

Installed on EXT4. All frugal installed attempts. At random times, if there is any attempt to backup any Savefile created in r38, the system just crashes itself and attempts to wipe that savefile from existence. Had another Linux prgrammer friend look at it, and he encountered the same problem. Just start pulling your frugal install savefiles around, from inside r38, and you'll see what happens. Unlike some others here, who attempt to make others believe the world is flat because everything they offer an opinion on is 'flat' to their self-ruled world, there are problems and they are being reproduced.

Noticeably, if you take a known, good working r37 savefile from a frugally install, and drop in r38's vmlinuz, initrd.gz & puppy_xslacko_4.2.sfs, r38 will boot and ignores about 50% of what is in the r37 savefile. Then, if you re-set that 50% and correct it back to what existed before, save it in the now r38-controlled savefile, and next attempt to backup that r38-controlled savefile on another thumbdrive, partition and/or device, r38 just randonly goes off-kilter and, a few times, eventually nearly destroys the newly created savefile. Thankfully, it is easy to keep the old r37 savefile intact through backups and reset things back in the stable r37.

Something changed from r37 to r38. Now that I know another more-experienced 'flat-earther' had the exact same problems happen to him in trying to setup r38, it is a bit hard to ignore it

Doesn't matter: for now I'll stick to r37, it works great and is stable, and can handle the many duties I put it through while it's frugally installed on different devices (currently: an old IDE hd, usb and two sdcards).
Can you please test the r39 version which I released today?

Sage

#450 Post by Sage »

r39: Truncated QuickSetup less comprehensive. If 'Execute' is pressed, 'Processing, please wait' never completes. Otherwise OK!

mistfire

#451 Post by mistfire »

@Sage quicksetup is not truncated. I changed the GUI layouts (tabbed) only to make it more friendly on smaller screens. The original quicksetup is good but not small screen friendly. On executing "processing. please wait" what settings did you set in on quicksetup?

Any ideas or approach to the GUI layout design of quicksetup?

Sage

#452 Post by Sage »

Yes, I see the tabs, but the 'firewall' and one other item (?which? - haven't got regular machine running today) are not shown in tabs. Why the sudden concern for small screens? Nothing set in Quickset that influences anything else, just clicked 'Execute' instead of other option (the one to the left - can't remember - was it 'cancel'? or something like that??).
If it ain't broke..., or One step forward & co. - back to 38.

mistfire

#453 Post by mistfire »

Sage wrote:Why the sudden concern for small screens?
From the beginning of this thread I have concern for small screens. So I edit almost all puppy core apps to make it small screen friendly. My reference for small screen was 800x600 resolution.

ttuuxxx

#454 Post by ttuuxxx »

I'm just running regular slacko but there are always ways of removing a bit of size.
libicudata.so.51.2 <--22MB
so I compiled an earlier one
libicudata.so.45.1 <--15MB
7MB saving in one compile.
When I packaged it, it compressed to 4M
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mistfire

#455 Post by mistfire »

@ttuuxxx what does libicudata do? Is it safe to remove from puppy?