X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#31 Post by mistfire »

thank you @Robert123. I tried that packages however the files are big. Can you help me to find a smaller version of midori, webgtk, go-mtfs, and gstreamer?

Robert123

#32 Post by Robert123 »

Robert123

#33 Post by Robert123 »

mistfire

#34 Post by mistfire »

@Robert123 Okay I will try use tiny core linux packages. tcz2pet is already included on latest version of X-slacko Slim. technosaurus midori was too old. I need midori browser which was released in 2013 or even 2015 where HTML5 is fully implemented.

keniv

#35 Post by keniv »

@mistfire Have you given up on QtWeb that was suggested in an earlier post. I am using it now. I think it's about 8MB. Is this too big. I believe it's still supported so you should be able to get an up to date version. Here is their url http://www.qtweb.net/. I got the .pet on this forum but I can't remember where. If your interested I'll look for it.

Regards,

Ken.

mistfire

#36 Post by mistfire »

@keniv I tried qtweb, its a good browser however it does not support html5 video even with gstreamer installed.

mistfire

#37 Post by mistfire »

New iteration of xslacko-slim released:

Changelog
* gmtp replaced go-mtpfs and its gui. (Save disk space and works nicely of MTP devices)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qo49q ... 70516r.iso

Pelo

However removing FFmpeg should be a bad choice, i think.

#38 Post by Pelo »

What i can say is that this X-slacko Slim succeeds playing My Dvds about football (futbol, soccer) world cups without trouble. That is not the case of some newest Puppies, Tahrpup and sons, who choose to delete FFmpeg and Mplayer,
Trim the fat does not mean prevent users to have fun :!:
X-slacko Slim until now keeps available what i need..
However removing FFmpeg should be a bad choice, i think.
XFmedia had no trouble this mornig playing my old Football DVDs..
Sure an XFCE Puppy with XFCE applications change the traditionnal Corned beef.. But don't forget Puppies are now still around 400 still in life, a 'walk on the wild side' would be worth the pain. Mistfire, it will be hard for you to do better than Saluki :!: Try it, yesYou Can :)
"Changing gstreamer-properties default output to "X Window System (No Xv)" (ximagesink) has solved the problem." Mp4 and avi fail with XFmedia, no dependancies missing.
XFmedia plays CD audio (titles Missing)
Attachments
xfmedia.jpg
xfmedia will read your DVds, parole, hum.. wait and see.
(37.24 KiB) Downloaded 1409 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 08:35, edited 9 times in total.

Pelo

QtWeb is really a good Browser

#39 Post by Pelo »

QtWeb is really a good Browser. i install it in old puppies to replace seamonkey fist age, without loose of functions. Compared with latest firefox, sure you will miss some stuff.
But nothing prevent sombody to replace QTWeb, is QtWeb is not enough for them.

Sure QtWeb is better than Midori, and better than Opera (always asking you questions in english to access sites, your answer will be always yes, so useless questions). Opera consider your adsl provider as untrusted.. (SFR in France is One of The Three most used ones. Refused by Opera, my god ! And it's Mine !)

Robert123

#40 Post by Robert123 »

Hello Mistfire,

first up thank you for a lovely pupplet built on a good base, very stable.

Midori is a good choice and I am posting from it now. Very fast on my Dell D620.

Only dissapointment is XFmedia's ability to play mp4's properly - very choppy and unwatchable. Haven't tried it with mp3 but should be fine. A little winge but mp4 playback is important for me. Online youtube video was great with html5.

Anyway nice work - don't know how to solve XFmedia problem as it seems small and not too ram hungry otherwise.

mistfire

#41 Post by mistfire »

@Robert123 you may try to use and install mplayer if mp4 playback seems not working. mp3 is working fine on xfmedia. MPEG2 HD video works properly on xfmedia too.

@Pelo I dont remove ffmpeg. Thanks, however I have a very little time for maintaining this puplet so I try to remaster designed to have a long life and to survive different scenario also. But I will do my best to make active as possible as long as rg66 maintain his x-slacko. Forking my puplet or become a gold standard for puplet will be great.

mistfire

#42 Post by mistfire »

@Robert123 I test xfmedia on large mp4 files (HD format) its unplayable but some short mp4 clips work. AVI and MPEG files are working fine. I need some help about this problem on xfmedia.

Robert123

#43 Post by Robert123 »

Yes Mplayer probably is the way to go. It is probably an Xine-lib problem I will have a fiddle with it.

Pelo

XFmedia not playing big mp4 videos : bad !

#44 Post by Pelo »

XFmedia not playing big mp4 videos : bad !
Perhaps some settings are to be Changed. I have Mp4 files, but no big ones
Cannot help.
Long time ago, whench french users tested XFmedia :
Totem
Consommation CPU : 17%
Consommation mémoire : 8%
Rhythmbox
Consommation CPU : 6%
Consommation mémoire : 8.5%
Xfmedia
Consommation CPU : 2%
Consommation mémoire : 6%
Mplayer
Consommation CPU : 5%
Consommation mémoire : 5%
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.

Robert123

#45 Post by Robert123 »

Hi Pelo,
No it is not Xfmedia it is either Xine-lib or FFmpeg because I installed xine-ui and the same issue occured.

Pelo

XFmedia : what happens ? paroles does better ...

#46 Post by Pelo »

:evil: i Insert a different Puppy xfce in my computer to check XFmedia elsewhere.
Xslacko 3.1 is my choice for that (first casting of this XFCE)
Damned libav, i should have believed that Slacko had not same bad choice as Tahrpup..
Hum, it's quite clear we will be unable to run XFCE apps with Puppy XFCE... XFCE is not a nice desktop. If no XFCE apps available, I Will give up soon..
US go home, Me and Mistfire, that would have been a nice test..
Site parole here
"First off, of course mp3 and mp4 are generally supported by Parole, but you need the relevant gstreamer-plugins"
something missing, whatever you do !
RG66 complains : "Parole failed to compile with a bunch of perl errors that I couldn't sort out."
Attachments
chapelle.jpg
Bah !
(32.97 KiB) Downloaded 880 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 06 Jul 2016, 11:29, edited 5 times in total.

Robert123

#47 Post by Robert123 »

Libav you might be on the right track Pelo nice work.

Pelo

Slim Puppy will get fat soon

#48 Post by Pelo »

Slim Puppy will get fat soon , by adding there and there libs.

mistfire

#49 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo I knew about parole player. but according to rg66 it has too much dependencies but I will try the slitaz version of that player. I try to make the ISO file size as small as possible. I noticed that mostly web browsers and media players and framework contribute to the enlargement of puppies.

mistfire

#50 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo slitaz version of parole works on x-slacko.