Google Chrome 64-bit packages - [CLOSED]

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
gcmartin

#31 Post by gcmartin »

@Mike. I used the Chrome for Slacko64 SFS. And have hit a problem. The "material design" component is missing on the browser. Was this feature deleted in the implementation?

Just a note: On @PeeBee's version it remains. So there must be something done different.

That component is general seen as the "pancake stack" or "hamburger" or "3 vertical dots" which resides in the upper right side of the browser screen.

I am running the latest Slacko64-V7a3. Is the component present on your browser in your distro?

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, gc.

You've lost me, mate. I haven't a clue what you mean by the 'material design'.

If you're talking about the three dots that have replaced the 'hamburger', yes they are indeed present. I'm posting from the new, current Chrome right now. But I'm using Slacko64 6.3.0, based on Slackware 14.1.....not 14.2. Not yet. I don't tend to jump into alpha & beta releases feet-first!

I much prefer to wait until they're at 'release candidate' stage, at the very least... I don't think the new Slacko64 will be there for a while yet. :)

The current Chrome SFS packages were built in Tahr64, and Slacko64-s14.1. So it's quite possible there will be 'hiccups', as Slackware transitions to the new variant. I'm running 14 Pups as it is. I don't intend adding any more for some time to come, I'm afraid.....and I never like building packages for any of my Pups until I'm absolutely happy with them.

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Following orrin's discovery that loading the SFS breaks CUPS (which it does!), I've re-worked the packages (putting the permissions right). 'Twas my fault, I'm afraid; quite simply, I forgot to correct them this time around.

It's a well-known problem when converting .deb components into Puppy packages..!

Mike Walsh

Re: Chrome 64 sfs breakes CUPS

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

orrin wrote:Hello,

I discovered that when the Chrome sfs is loaded, Cups will not work.
When I unload the sfs, CUPS works fine.

Is there a way to make them co-exist so that I can print from a web page in Slacko 64-6.3.2?
Hi again, orrin.

A-hem. (*Cough, cough...*) :oops: That shouldn't have happened. It was my fault.

I create the SFS packages using components from the .deb download from the Chrome website. The snag is (and it's a well-known one in 'Puppy-land') that .deb packages are set-up for Debian and Ubuntu (in fact, any Debian-based distro, as well). They're primarily multi-user systems.....unlike Puppy, which is essentially single-user, and that's why it runs as root.

Accordingly, the permissions are totally different to what Puppy runs with.....and when you forget to change them, invariably CUPS throws a wobbly. It's one of the first things affected by incorrectly-set Chrome packages, I'm afraid.

One of the folder entries in Chrome is the /etc directory. When it installs /etc/cron/google-chrome (the Chrome updater, which doesn't work under Linux in any case), it changes permissions on /etc. So /etc/CUPS isn't seeing what it expects to.....and misbehaves. Strangely, CUPS is the only thing that really seems to be affected by it..!

I tried it out myself, in Tahr64. I don't print often, so had no reason to check it. I, too, got the 'Internal Server Error' stuff you get when CUPS goes on the fritz.....so I knew straightaway what I'd forgotten to do..! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

If you download the new package I've just uploaded (with permissions fixed, now), you'll find everything's working as it should.

orrin

#35 Post by orrin »

Thanks Mike,

CUPS in the new version is no longer broken!

It works a bit strange though with my Canon MP990, when I try to print from
the Chrome print dialog, the printer comes on and does nothing! When I
check the job in CUPS, it is listed as failed. But if I click on reprint from Cups,
it prints OK. Strange..!! ... but that's off-topic for this thread!
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, orrin.
orrin wrote:Thanks Mike,

CUPS in the new version is no longer broken!
Good, good; glad to hear it. I made sure it was all working in both my 64-bit Pups, so I knew it should have been OK for upload.

Re: CUPS in Slacko64. At least yours sounds as though it does work! I haven't, as yet, been able to get my Epson working at all in Slacko64.....yet it works beautifully in every other Pup I run.

How's that for inexplicable?

(*shakes head in exasperation*)

orrin

#37 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Re: CUPS in Slacko64. At least yours sounds as though it does work! I haven't, as yet, been able to get my Epson working at all in Slacko64.....yet it works beautifully in every other Pup I run.
I have very old Epson dot matrix that I finally got working in Slacko64...
First I had to add some code to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to get the parallel port
turned on. Then I found a ppd file for the LQ570 series on the net and
now it works just fine!

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

***NEW VERSION***

The current version, 53.0.2785.116 (with Pepper 23.0.0.162), released during the last 24 hours, is now available for download from the usual location.

Link as above in post #1.

Enjoy, as usual. Any probs, you know where to find me.

orrin

#39 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:***NEW VERSION***
The current version, 53.0.2785.116 (with Pepper 23.0.0.162), released during the last 24 hours, is now available for download from the usual location.
Link as above in post #1.
Enjoy, as usual. Any probs, you know where to find me.
Mike.
How is this diffferent from the previous version, and do I really need to
update since the one I have works just fine!
Both are Chrome 53.

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Orrin.

Nah, there's very little change, TBH. One or two bits of sandbox code have been modified, and that's about it, really. I'm just trying to keep up with each release for anybody who may want them.....some folks are obsessive about always having the newest, most up-to-date version. 54 is out on the Beta channel, the Dev Channel is currently hosting 55, and I believe 56 is already being 'sketched-out' in the wings..!

'xx.-.----.---' is the major version, '--.-.xxxx.---' is the point release, and '--.-.----.xxx' is usually minor revisions to the point release.

'Newest ain't always the best.....'

Yours'll be fine for a while yet; just keep Pepper up to date, and you'll be laughing. The last version but one was out for around 6 weeks. This last couple, Google have released two updates in a matter of days; that's just how it goes, sometimes. Probably summat to do wi' the 'bug bounty' programme they constantly have running, which encourages users to email in with problems, in exchange for a reward.....

Go figure..! :roll:

My 32-bitters are quite happy with the final release Google did before dropping 32-bit support; 48.0.2564.116. Still plays NetFlix, so I'm happy, too!

orrin

#41 Post by orrin »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the update! I will keep what I have.
As a suggestion, when you announce a new version, you might ad a line or two about what has changed!

Mike Walsh

#42 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, orrin.

Yah, I guess I should, really. OscarTalks' always does with his SlimJet packages.....but the changelog for SlimJet is easier to find than the Chrome one!

I'll have a go at tracking it down...just for you, like! :lol:

drunkjedi

#43 Post by drunkjedi »

Here you go, Changes

Also see Chrome Blog for update news

drunkjedi

#44 Post by drunkjedi »

I haven't updated sfs for Fatdog, as I am trying out some new things.
Will do in few days.

Mike Walsh

#45 Post by Mike Walsh »

drunkjedi wrote:I haven't updated sfs for Fatdog, as I am trying out some new things.
Will do in few days.
No worries, bud. As & when.

Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

***NEW VERSION***

The current version, 53.0.2785.143 (with Pepper 23.0.0.162), released during the last 24 hours, is now available for download from the usual location.

This particular release fixes two CRITICAL CVEs; 2016-5179 & 2016-5180. According to the blog notes:-

Critical CVE-2016-5179: Incorrect validation of writes to paths on stateful partition.

Critical CVE-2016-5180: Heap overflow in c-ares.

Google go on to add:-

"Access to bug details and links may be kept restricted until a majority of users are updated with a fix. We will also retain restrictions if the bug exists in a third party library that other projects similarly depend on, but haven’t yet fixed."

This is probably a Windows vulnerability, but as demonstrated by stuff like Heartbleed and Shellshock in recent years, Linux is not invulnerable. Accordingly, I will suggest that in this case, it would be a good idea to upgrade as soon as.

Link as above in post #1. Please remember, as highlighted at the beginning of the previous page, these are manufactured in the older version of Slacko64, based on 14.1; not the newest release, based on 14.2. I haven't got there yet, and don't intend to for some little while to come.

Enjoy, as always. Any probs, I'm not going anywhere!

rufwoof

#47 Post by rufwoof »

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tra ... age/c-ares

Debian Jessie was marked vulnerable, now marked as fixed for 2016-5180, so looks like not just Windows. Can't say I recall seeing it come through in updates however (I don't tend to look that closely so could easily have passed me by). I have Chromium installed from Debian repository.

Mike Walsh

#48 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, rufwoof.

Well, it was released less than 36 hours ago. From what I recall from my time with Ubuntu, a couple of years ago, the repo maintainers aren't that much 'on the ball'; the available versions of Chromium, for instance, were always 3 or 4 versions behind. Even FireFox was never less than 2 versions behind.

But then, as I recall, installing Chrome in the Debian-based distros always entailed also installing the Google repo.....in theory to update itself. Trouble is, the update mechanism doesn't function under Linux like it does in Windows...

I simply keep an eye on the Chrome release and development blogs, and make use of the stable & beta release channels. Nothing magical about it.

orrin

#49 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:***NEW VERSION***

The current version, 53.0.2785.143 (with Pepper 23.0.0.162), released during the last 24 hours, is now available for download from the usual location.

This particular release fixes two CRITICAL CVEs; 2016-5179 & 2016-5180. According to the blog notes:-

Critical CVE-2016-5179: Incorrect validation of writes to paths on stateful partition.

Critical CVE-2016-5180: Heap overflow in c-ares.
Thanks for the updated version... it seems to work OK.

A question about Chrome... the options are somewhat skimpy as
opposed to Opera or Firefox. I was looking for something like 'applications'
where you can tell the browser how to open certain filetypes.

There is a traffic camera sight here which apparently uses an MS format
of some kind. Once downloaded, the videos play nicely in GNOME MPlayer.

I would like to tell Chrome to use MPlayer for that filetype rather than
just downloading, but there is no 'applications' options other than their
extensions (which does not have a suitable application).

The link to the site in question is:

http://sparks.nvwx.com/reno_ndot_cams.php

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, orrin.

I've been researching this high & low the last day or two. Seems there is no way to accomplish this within Chrome. If the functionality is there, it's so deeply buried it just can't be found.

None of the blogs and/or Google forums seem to have an answer on this at all. Sorry I can't help with this one.