Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Aug 2017, 15:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Google Chrome 64-bit SFS packages
Page 2 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep 2016, 12:39    Post subject:  

Thanks Mike, I will test too if time permits.
My 3 year old daughter has gotten into habit of coming running from wherever she is the moment I switch on PC. To watch videos of poems and stuff.
I gave her a Android Tab but she like to use PC when I am using it. Just for the fun of it.
Ha ha.

Never Mind. I am having fun overall.
I am now mostly using forum on my phone. More reading and less testing. This is good too.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep 2016, 20:19    Post subject:  

*** NEW VERSION ***

If you've been following the thread up until this point, you'll know that drunkjedi has produced a 'Run-as-spot' version of Chrome64, primarily for use in FatDog64. I'm hosting this together with my Chrome64 SFS packages, simply to try and keep these all in one place; makes it easier to track them down.

We'd be glad of anybody who'd care to test this out for us in the 'standard' flagship Pups; Tahr64 and Slacko64. Feedback would be appreciated..!

Link is the same as for the other packages, as below:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/l8lkuo39z6gq8/Chrome_SFS_packages

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep 2016, 16:04    Post subject: Re: Chrome SFS packages for 64-bit Pups.....
Subject description: New release; 53.0.2785.92...includes Pepper 22.0.0.209

Mike Walsh wrote:
Morning, all.

I am, as you're all probably aware by now, a very long-term Chrome user. I couldn't help noticing that there aren't any 64-bit SFS packages available on the Forum, so I've decided to make a couple...

These will work on Tahr64 (and derivatives), and Slacko64 (and derivatives). Like peebee, I'm only going to concentrate on SFS packages for these. The same converter that will work on his Chromium releases to turn them into .pets should work on these, too.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=867205#867205

Here's the link for the 'Chrome SFS packages' folder in my MediaFire account. Access the relevant folder, and download the one you want.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/l8lkuo39z6gq8/Chrome_SFS_packages

Do you have any idea when a new version of Chrome will appear in the Repository for Slacko 64-6.3.2 ? I did an update of my repository but
only Chrome 46 was there. 46 works OK but a couple of the bank sites are complaining that I need to update my browser!

Last edited by orrin on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 22:02; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep 2016, 18:51    Post subject:  

Hi, orrin.

Mm. Yeah; tell me about it! AFAIK, the repositories are always way behind when it comes to the 'big' browsers....Chrome and FireFox. Mostly because they release new versions so often that the repository maintainers can't keep up with them. The bit that banks and other similar institutions are interested in are the certificates being up-to-date.

This is why I do the SFS packages for the community. I, too, needed to keep things up-to-date for online banking, and I got to thinking, 'Right; I can download the .deb packages for Chrome. It's easy enough to unpack them, re-arrange things in a way that will work with Puppy, and then re-package them again.' Only takes around 10 minutes or so now, since I have my scripts all semi-automated & set-up for maximum ease of use. And if they work correctly for me, then why not publish them and let other folks share the benefits?

For the 'buntu-based Pups, invariably all dependencies are satisfied already. Foe the Slackware-based Pups, the most they need to add are libgconf, and libgnomekeyring. Bob's yr uncle...sorted.

And the beauty of SFS packages is that they're really easy to uninstall and change when you want to upgrade. Just 'unload' the old one, then 'load' the new one. Your config and settings in /root/.cache and /root/.config don't need to be touched, since they'll carry on working from version to version.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 19:07; edited 1 time in total
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep 2016, 19:00    Post subject:  

Hey orrin,

In Fatdog64 we have a get-google-chrome script.
It downloads latest stable .deb, make necessary changes and make package, and install or update google chrome.

But I think sfs provided by Mike are best bet.
SFS files are easy to use.
orrin

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep 2016, 23:33    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Hi, orrin.

Mm. Yeah; tell me about it! AFAIK, the repositories are always way behind when it comes to the 'big' browsers....Chrome and FireFox. Mostly because they release new versions so often that the repository maintainers can't keep up with them. The bit that banks and other similar institutions are interested in are the certificates being up-to-date.

This is why I do the SFS packages for the community. I, too, needed to keep things up-to-date for online banking, and I got to thinking, 'Right; I can download the .deb packages for Chrome. It's easy enough to unpack them, re-arrange things in a way that will work with Puppy, and then re-package them again.' Only takes around 10 minutes or so now, since I have my scripts all semi-automated & set-up for maximum ease of use. And if they work correctly for me, then why not publish them and let other folks share the benefits?

For the 'buntu-based Pups, invariably all dependencies are satisfied already. Foe the Slackware-based Pups, the most they need to add are libgconf, and libgnomekeyring. Bob's yr uncle...sorted.

And the beauty of SFS packages is that they're really easy to uninstall and change when you want to upgrade. Just 'unload' the old one, then 'load' the new one. Your config and settings in /root/.cache and /root/.config don't need to be touched, since they'll carry on working from version to version.

I have been running an old version of OpenSuse for a long time and got
Puppy Slacko 64-6.3.2 so that I had up to date browsers. I still use SuSe
for record keeping and as it turns out, for the Adobe Reader.

I am not familiar with .sfs files. Is there a tutorial somewhere as to how
to install them in Slacko64, and getting them to run. I read that they
are copied to the mnt/home directory, but how do you run them, and
do I have to uninstall Chrome 46 or will the two versions co-exist.

If Chrome 46 is uninstalled, what happens to the extensions and settings.
Do they somehow carry over to the new version?

Help will be greatly appreciated!

dancytron

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 00:04    Post subject:  

orrin wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:
Hi, orrin.

I have been running an old version of OpenSuse for a long time and got
Puppy Slacko 64-6.3.2 so that I had up to date browsers. I still use SuSe
for record keeping and as it turns out, for the Adobe Reader.

I am not familiar with .sfs files. Is there a tutorial somewhere as to how
to install them in Slacko64, and getting them to run. I read that they
are copied to the mnt/home directory, but how do you run them, and
do I have to uninstall Chrome 46 or will the two versions co-exist.

If Chrome 46 is uninstalled, what happens to the extensions and settings.
Do they somehow carry over to the new version?

Help will be greatly appreciated!

sfs files a squash file system files like the main Puppy Linux sfs file. Puppy loads them underneath the main sfs file.

So, all you need to do is copy them to the same subdirectory as your main Puppy files, then find the "Load SFS on the fly" program and select and load them. You can also set them up to load automatically on boot in the Boot Manager program (I think, I'm not in Puppy right now to check).

I think you are going to have to uninstall your prior Chrome. That's because sfs files load underneath your save file/folder. However, if you are logged on to Google with it, when you relog in to Google, it should remember all your settings and reload your bookmarks and addons. It might be worth backing up your user profile (probably in /root/.config just in case that doesn't work.

see: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/sfsload

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SquashFS

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootManager
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 06:17    Post subject:  

Morning, orrin.

dancytron has the right of it. With SFS packages, it's all self-contained (and with mine, I always make sure that PepperFlash is up-to-date as well).

The actual package gets 'unloaded', then the new package gets 'loaded'. The configuration and settings at /root/.config & /root/.cache aren't touched, so these are straightaway read by the new version.

Yes, you do need to 'unload' the old package first. Either of two ways (both covered on the Wikka in dancytron's links):-

1) Right-click on the package and select 'sfs_load', or
2) Left-click on the package, and select 'Install'. If unloaded, it will ask if you wish to load, and if already loaded, if you wish to unload. It's pretty foolproof.

Then, just start your Chrome from the Menu entry.....or go into /usr/share/applcations, and 'drag' the .desktop entry onto the ROX pinboard (desktop, if you like.) This will then act as your desktop 'launcher'.

Anything else, just ask.

BTW:- If PepperFlash gets updated before the next version of Chrome comes out, you can update it with my PepperFlash .pets, from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106409

(To check the version of PepperFlash, and whether you're up-to-date, go here. Or, if you're in the US, here.)

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 19:23    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Morning, orrin.

Yes, you do need to 'unload' the old package first. Either of two ways (both covered on the Wikka in dancytron's links):-

Anything else, just ask.

BTW:- If PepperFlash gets updated before the next version of Chrome comes out, you can update it with my PepperFlash .pets, from here:-

I cannot find a way to unload Chome 46! It does not show-up when the uninstall button is pressed in the Package manager, and does not show
in the list under remove builtin packages.
Instuctions in the Wikka link is for earlier versions of Slacko. I have
Slacko 64-6.3.2.

My pepperflash is up to date!

Semme

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 19:26    Post subject:  

Terminal >> "sfs_load" should bring it up..

I avoid menus because excessive mouse pointing, and, or, typing, impede progress. Very Happy

orrin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep 2016, 21:23    Post subject:  

Semme wrote:
Terminal >> "sfs_load" should bring it up..

I avoid menus because excessive mouse pointing, and, or, typing, impede progress. Very Happy

That only brings up "libreOffice", no listing of Chrome.

Apparently the version in the repository that I loaded was not a .pet file! I notice that there is google-chrome-46.0.2490.86-1-x86_64.tar.xz in my root directory. That may be why the normal tools don't work!

orrin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2016, 12:49    Post subject:  

Thank you all for the help. I solved the problem by starting over with the CD and a different USB and reconfigured Poppy!

I used the sfs file for Chrome and it works fine

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2016, 16:19    Post subject:  

***NEW VERSION***

The current version, 53.0.2785.101 (with Pepper 22.0.0.209), released in the last 36 hours or so, is now available for download from the usual location..

Link as above in post #1.

Enjoy, as always. Any probs, you know where to find me.

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2016, 14:36    Post subject: Chrome 64 sfs breakes CUPS
Subject description: google_chrome-53.0.2785.92-amd64-s14.1.sfs

Hello,

I discovered that when the Chrome sfs is loaded, Cups will not work.
When I unload the sfs, CUPS works fine.

Is there a way to make them co-exist so that I can print from a web page in Slacko 64-6.3.2?

gcmartin

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2016, 16:14    Post subject:  

Seems, as I remember, Chrome can directly print to your LAN printer without going thru your PC. This doesn't fix anything, but, for some users, this solution is a blessing as it reduces the hardship on your PC for that print task. Again, this is NOT a suggestion to replace/fix anything locally, its just a print option that some may not be aware of in using the Chrome browser, IIRC.

Just an idea.

Page 2 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: