LazY Puppy Version 5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LazY Puppy

#31 Post by LazY Puppy »

Thanks, Phillippe!

Boot parameter lpusersfs doesn't have any effect a.t.m as long as there is no user sfs existing.

Have you checked if directory /initrd/config_tahr_6.0.2-test.sfs is existing?

If it's not existing when booting with the config sfs --->

Could you please make a copy of the config sfs at same location and doing a reboot?

There should be an option to choose which config sfs to load at boot up.

I've only tested this by having at least two config sfs existing, so that I could choose also to boot without the use of a config sfs.

It should load automatically the one existing when there's just one config sfs existing. Though we need to know if it will load correctly when choosing from the boot prompt - as it does in my setup.

<-- end If not

The screenshot shows a size of 4096 bytes/octets for the config sfs. This should be only when creating an empty config sfs.

Did you enable this option?

If not, just enable it and disable it again when creating a new config sfs next time to see the results.

Thanks.

Now downloading the config sfs.

Edit:

Yes, the config sfs is completely empty, except directory: /.LazYPuppySFSData and its sub dires and files.

Of course, you did use pdfsam and setup to FR language before creating the config sfs, no ?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#32 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Thinking about how to make it even more easy for a -probably scripting- user of LazY Puppy 5 to have access to external files (by scripts) etc.pp., which are usually stored somewhere at /mnt/home, I wondered about what might happen if I would built in a symbolic link /mnt/home (which wouldn't exist ever in LazY Puppy 5) pointing to its current active boot partition (e.g.: /mnt/sde1).

So I made a posting to catch up some information - if any available. I got what I was looking for and built this into my version of LazY Puppy 5 - now active and running for several hours.

Since the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. System SFS Modules are loaded to a top layer by a different script (different to sfs_laod by shinobar) the boot partition is unable to be unmounted - just like it is when a save file / storage file is used.

So it came to mind that the usual /mnt/home drive / partition is marked up by the drive icon with the red close button. Found it being a good idea to get this also solved for the default pfix=ram mode of LazY Puppy 5.

I dipped a little into my scripts and found a proper solution to have the current boot partition marked up by this red close button drive icon.

If the new /mnt/home code/link remains stable and doesn't cause any trouble at all, I will include this into the next versions of LazY Puppy 5 and T.O.P.L.E.S.S..
Attachments
pupmode-5-mnt-home-red-marked-icon.jpg
Remains red marked after restarting X as well.
(61.57 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

oui

install on HD, actualize old things, integrate more software

#33 Post by oui »

Hi

I never use USB sticks for different reason. The major one is that my cat lives on my desk :roll: and can break them and part of the laptop if it sit on it :wink: . it is absurd to risk that if I have, and I have it really, a big hard disk only half full. I have no stick at home (the old one I did have were to small; I did give them to people having old hardware more in the range of the old stick with max. 2 GB as I use them never more...).

the installation of Puppy Tahr 6.0.2 with TOPLESS on stick is really easy, I know, The ISO offers adequate and really simply facility. But it offers no adequate and simply facility to install on hard disk :twisted: (poor systems willing to impose the use of sticks... it is nonsens!)

last day, someone did give me a 8 GB stick with a large file for me, and I did do that what I was interesting to do already weeks ago: Test TOPLESS in that version (as I continue to use daily the Unicorn with the external package from LazY Puppy and find it is really a very good OS. But I did simplify divers thinks as it is not a test to be made in the correct adequate way, it is my installation in the kind I wish...: I did install all that not operate well or is not available on the depot of LazY Puppy from Ubuntu depot and remaster. So no problem with adapt this or adapt that before the menu is complete etc. :lol: . But it is not really modular any more: I can start the big ISO after remaster only because I have a big RAM...)

In Puppy Tahr 6,0.2 as redistributed by LazY Puppy., it is not old, but already now are divers links not any more operable (especially but not only Wine, so flashplugin and more...). I suppose there are 2 solutions if I will continue to use it as concepted:

a/ i change the link in the HTML page to make it active (link to an other depot beeing really active)

or

b/ the maintener of the depot help all actual and future users of that distribution and reactivate the package :roll: !

Next problem is that I miss adequate LP2-....sfs for divers software beeing existing in old LazY's what I need:

- a saver for youtube
- libre office
- xombrero (OR EACH OTHER FULL OPERABLE BROWSER NOT NEEDING PERMANENTLY ACTUALISATION! use Mozilla's is becoming nonsens in an ISO as you have to remaster to frequently... But Xombrero has great advantage: It is secure. I am not Angela Merkel: Security is important for me... :oops: )
- gramps
- merkaartor

I also would try to create myself the LP4-....sfs what the system is awaiting but miss the documentation page

file:///usr/share/doc/TOPLESS/de/topless-installapps2.htm

being link in file:///usr/share/doc/TOPLESS/de/topless-index.htm

This distribution seems to be really top! Thank you LazY Puppy.

Kind regards

LazY Puppy

#34 Post by LazY Puppy »

oui wrote:I never use USB sticks for different reason. The major one is that my cat lives on my desk :roll: and can break them and part of the laptop if it sit on it :wink: . it is absurd to risk that if I have, and I have it really, a big hard disk only half full. I have no stick at home (the old one I did have were to small; I did give them to people having old hardware more in the range of the old stick with max. 2 GB as I use them never more...).

the installation of Puppy Tahr 6.0.2 with TOPLESS on stick is really easy, I know, The ISO offers adequate and really simply facility. But it offers no adequate and simply facility to install on hard disk :twisted: (poor systems willing to impose the use of sticks... it is nonsens!)
The need to use a USB flash drive (USB Stick) is only on installation purposes. After you had installed succesfully to USB flash drive, you can move the directories and files from the USB flash drive to the your boot partition (must be ext file system (ext2 recommended by experience)).

After this just copy the contents/entries of the grub4dos menu.lst into the menu.lst at the your boot partition.

Now you should be able to boot this LazY Puppy 5 from your HD's boot partition.

If you are using grub (or any else boot loader) instead of grub4dos, you'll need to modify the entries imported from the grub4dos menu.lst - of course.

I know that's not quite comfortable, though it makes sure, that nothing will be overwritten at the your boot partition during installation of LazY Puppy 5. Since I'm not a programmer, but I'm a hacker, who is doing faults from time to time, it has turned out being the best way to me, providing a secure installer script. :D :wink:
In Puppy Tahr 6,0.2 as redistributed by LazY Puppy., it is not old, but already now are divers links not any more operable (especially but not only Wine, so flashplugin and more...).I suppose there are 2 solutions if I will continue to use it as concepted:
There is a 3rd solution to get rid of those not longer working menu entries like for "Get Flash Player" and "Get Libre Office" (I assume those are the ones you meant?) - without to remaster(!!!).

If you want to know how, let me know, and I'll tell you how.

Next problem is that I miss adequate LP2-....sfs for divers software beeing existing in old LazY's what I need:

- a saver for youtube
- libre office
- xombrero (OR EACH OTHER FULL OPERABLE BROWSER NOT NEEDING PERMANENTLY ACTUALISATION! use Mozilla's is becoming nonsens in an ISO as you have to remaster to frequently... But Xombrero has great advantage: It is secure. I am not Angela Merkel: Security is important for me... Embarassed )
- gramps
- merkaartor
Since I'm nothing similar to a "thoughts reader" and this forum doesn't offer services like "thoughts transfer", I'm not able to know what kind of programs is lacking for any user. I even don't know, if there is any LazY Puppy 5 user who's missing anything. :wink:

However, if there is some programs missing, it would be fine to offer a link, so that I can try to download, to make it a LPx_ .sfs and to upload either to my repository at smokey01.com/RSH/ of to archive.org.

All I need and all I do request is the information plus a link if possible. If I can't make s LPx_ .sfs from that requested software, I would try to give another solution - if possible (like e.g. for the youtube downloader, as there are several browser supported plugins already available).
I also would try to create myself the LP4-....sfs what the system is awaiting but miss the documentation page

file:///usr/share/doc/TOPLESS/de/topless-installapps2.htm

being link in file:///usr/share/doc/TOPLESS/de/topless-index.htm
Yes, that documentation issue. This is somehow equal to what I said about the install script. I'm not a documentation writer, but I'm a hacker. Hacking code into the keyboard until it works is fun. Extremely FUN.

Writing documentations is boring (would need a true user to do so - supported by myself of course)!

I'm sorry for that, though it's just based in my personal nature, I'm a creative guy, having much fun and very much satisfaction to improvise over and over again AND to do new stuff, that's never done before - hopefully (or at least that's not been done a thousand/million times before).

Of course, if you would tell me what package you want to turn int a LPx_ .sfs I could give a short description how to do. It's really simple and easy, as almost all needed functions are done by right-clicking the package. I would just need the basic package downloaded (best case scenario)
This distribution seems to be really top! Thank you LazY Puppy.

Kind regards
Thank you very much, oui! :D

Edit:

The LP5_Firefox-45.0.1-2.sfs which is listed at the programs list in the opening post, has already included a plugin to download from youtube and store locally. In this here forum all links to youtube will have a additional download button added, so no need to go to youtube (just check this out in the Off-Topic section, e.g.: at Does anyone else feel like this about music?).

Edit2:

Oui, da Du ja der deutschen Sprache mächtig bist, könnte ich Dir sogar eine aktuellere Version von LazY Puppy 5 anbieten - ich müßte nur die aktualisierten Dateien hochladen, die Du dann über die bereits vorhanden Dateien kopierst.

LP5 Version 5.2.7 wurde mit T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.2.7 erstellt, wohingegen LP5 Version 5.0.2 mit T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.0.2 erstellt wurde.

Immer wenn ich Neues eingebaut oder Verbesserungen bzw. Erweiterungen vorgenommen habe, erhöhte ich die Versionsnummer um +1. Es sind also insgesamt 25 Neuerungen bzw. Verbesserungen und Erweiterungen vorgenommen worden, seit LP5 5.0.2 veröffentlicht wurde.

Allerdings habe ich seit T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 1.0.4 alles nur noch in deutscher Sprache entwickelt. Englische Übersetzungen sind also nicht vorhanden. Weshalb ich natürlich auch keine neueren Versionen von LazY Puppy 5 hochgeladen habe.
RSH