LazY Puppy Version 5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
LazY Puppy

LazY Puppy Version 5

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi!

Introducing LazY Puppy 5.0.2.

In addition to T.O.P.L.E.S.S. I decided to present a collection of .iso files containing a LazY Puppy 5 ready made and pretty well setup with lots of additional applications coming as .sfs files. So even new users could immediately use T.O.P.L.E.S.S. just by running one of those prepared .iso files (install to usb flash drive first).

Tonight I'm starting with LazY Puppy 5 based on tahr 6.0.2 (32bit). Some of its wallpapers are created by the use of mkwallpaper.

Installation:

LazY Puppy 5 comes with an installer script (gui interface) to easily install LazY Puppy 5 after booting from cd.

If you can't burn to cd or can't boot from cd, just open/mount the .iso file and copy its content to the installation directory of a plain tahr 6.0.2 installation (make backup first, if needed) and boot this plain tahr 6.0.2 installation and run the installer script from this location.

It definitely needs the modified initrd.gz to be booted!

I have tested the installer script two ways only:

1. booting and installing from .iso burnt to cd
2. booting and installing from tahr 6.0.2 installation (usb hd)

Both of them were successful - several times (though, both of them are booted by the modified initrd.gz).

Note: you can NOT make a manual frugal install of LazY Puppy 5 as usual !!!

It is required to use the installer script!
Just mount the cd drive and execute the installer script from cd.

The installer script is called: TOPLESS-LP5-installer-gui
There is also a readme file: TOPLESS-readme-first.txt

The installer script requires a usb flash drive (min.: 4GB) that will be formatted to ext2 single partition and its boot flag will be set automatically. It installs also the grub4dos boot loader, so you can boot immediately from that usb flash drive after installation is finished - which may take a few minutes.

Download:

LP5-Tahr602.iso (330MB)
MD5: 0db311e32706741e1cbbf999e593b8f5

Additional programs:

LP2_Aeolus-0.9.0-1-tahr.sfs
LP2_ALSAPlayer-0.99.81.sfs
LP2_ApplyExifJAR-1.05.sfs
LP2_Aqualung-0.9-tahr.sfs
LP2_Ardour-2.8.16-tahr.sfs
LP2_Ardour-3.5.308-tahr.sfs
LP2_ArtOfIllusion-3.0-DocsAndScenes.sfs
LP2_ArtOfIllusion-3.0.sfs
LP2_Audacity-2.0.5-tahr.sfs
LP2_Audacity-tahr-2.1.sfs
LP2_AutoAdjust-Image-Suite-1.0.0.sfs
LP2_Blender-2.73-i686.sfs
LP2_CBR-Pager-0.9.22.sfs
LP2_CinelerraCV215.sfs
LP2_DeadBeeF-0.6.2-static.sfs
LP2_DVDStyler-2.5.2-tahr.sfs
LP2_Firefox7.sfs
LP2_FM4Pane-3.0.sfs
LP2_ForeMost-1.5.5.sfs
LP2_Fraqtive-0.4.5-6-precise.sfs
LP2_Fyre-1.0.1-1.sfs
LP2_GDAM-Builder-IDE.sfs
LP2_Gimp-2.8.10-tahr.sfs
LP2_GimpPainter-2.8.7.sfs
LP2_Gimp-PlugIns-2.8.sfs
LP2_GTick-0.5.2-3-tahr.sfs
LP2_GtKlick-0.6.4-4-tahr.sfs
LP2_GtkRecordMyDesk-0.3.8.1-tahr.sfs
LP2_Guitarix-0.28.2-4-tahr.sfs
LP2_Hexter-1.0.2-3-tahr.sfs
LP2_Horgand-1.14-5-tahr.sfs
LP2_Hydrogen-0.9.6-tahr.sfs
LP2_ImageTagger-1.1.0.2.sfs
LP2_JASCiiArt-0.10-JDraw-1.1.5.sfs
LP2_JGraphite-0.5.8.sfs
LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs
LP2_JWildFire-2.23.sfs
LP2_KDEnLiVE-0.9.6-tahr.sfs
LP2_Kid3-2.1-i486.sfs
LP2_LightZone_4.0.0-0_i386.sfs
LP2_Lives-2.2.0-tahr.sfs
LP2_lmms-1.0.0-tahr.sfs
LP2_Mandvd-2.5-5.sfs
LP2_Marble-4.8.3-precise.sfs
LP2_Metaphorical-Silhouette-0.3.sfs
LP2_MkWallpaperGUI32Bit-2.0.sfs
LP2_Muse-2.1.2-1-tahr.sfs
LP2_MuseScore-1.3-full-tahr.sfs
LP2_OpenOffice-4.1.1.sfs
LP2_Palemoon-24.7.1.sfs
LP2_PDFSaM-2.2.1.sfs
LP2_Pencil2D-0.5.4-tahr.sfs
LP2_Pencil-0.4.4b.sfs
LP2_Pically-1.0.3.sfs
LP2_Pikona4.sfs
LP2_Pixelitor_1.1.1.sfs
LP2_Pixelize-1.0.0-1.sfs
LP2_PupSnap-1.6.3_Scrot-0.8_32Bit-l528.sfs
LP2_QTractor-0.5.11-3-tahr.sfs
LP2_QWatermark-0.2.1.sfs
LP2_Rakarrack-0.6.1-4-tahr.sfs
LP2_Rosegarden-13.06-tahr.sfs
LP2_RotoScope-0.2.sfs
LP2_Sankore-2.4.0.sfs
LP2_SmartDeblur-1.27-fftw-3.3.2.sfs
LP2_tintii-2.9.0-i486-static.sfs
LP2_urbanlightscape-1.3.3-i486-static.sfs
LP2_WinePortableApplicationStarter-1.1.3-1.7.4.sfs
LP2_Wink151.sfs
LP2_Xaos35.sfs
LP2_XFE1325.sfs
LP2_xvidcap-1.1.7-tahr.sfs
LP2_Zita-MusicTools-1.0-tahr.sfs
LP2_ZynAddMusicTools-1.0-tahr.sfs
LP3_Flowblade-0.18.sfs
LP3_XaraLX-1785.sfs
LP5_Firefox-45.0.1-2.sfs

All of these .sfs files will download automatically at first try to use its program. So make sure there is a connection to the web after installing LazY Puppy 5 and trying to run additional programs first time.

If there's a warning about wrong md5 sum, don't care about that. It's caused by creating the RunScript on a new edit of the .sfs file. Its program/s will run though!

Probably there is a few .sfs files still not uploaded. So let me now if there is any .sfs file that won't download. I will upload as soon as possible.

Have fun using LazY Puppy 5.0.2
Attachments
LP5-Tahr-602-800px.jpg
Showing 4 of 10 different desktops of LazY Puppy 5.0.2 based on tahr 6.0.2
(126.07 KiB) Downloaded 1900 times
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 19:42, edited 6 times in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

Reserved
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

oui

#3 Post by oui »

Hi Rainer

This seems to be a very great version of LazY, my favorite distro, as you know (I use daily LazY Unicorn since you did offer us this LazY: LazY system are superior for divers reasons that I would like to explain if there is interest! Sorry really that the Puppy community did not realize it until yet).

My problem with this new one (that I would really willing use as replacement for LazY Unicorn being a bit old today):

I never use some USB's! Why would I have to do that? My computer (DELL Laptop with High Resolution Screen,good keyboard, good camera, good hard disk (3/4 TerraByte): It would be completely nonsens.

ok, now, you don't have some usual ISO any more but some one with integrated installer for a completely different use of my PC through an USB Key?

Why?

I don't want some USB at all (it was the GREATEST error that our master Barry Kauler did make: require USB key from puppyist being absolutely not organized at home like a developer!)!!!

I would do all possible to use EACH Lazy but I did promise never use some USB key as I loose the content of file of my dead dad because the USB key producents are not "fähig" to produce a support where the user can write a comment "IMPORTANT data from my dead father"... All is black on the USB-key/memory card: you can not write on it!

Please forget USB-key's as Standard for the LazY community!

I am downloading now the new LazY Puppy 5! I will burn it CD as usual. And if it starts, it is ok.

else, I forget it immediately...

But I will thank you for your efforts for the Puppy Community!

Friendly your's

François

oui

#4 Post by oui »

Hi

The download is finish. The ISO is burn. I did start it...

kernel panic on Dell System XPS L502X/ONJT0S, Bios A12 09/07/2012.

Sorry...

But I continue with LazY Unicorn: that is the good and optimist message!

Thank you again for all your efforts!

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

oui wrote:The download is finish. The ISO is burn. I did start it...

kernel panic on Dell System XPS L502X/ONJT0S, Bios A12 09/07/2012.

Sorry...
Hmm...

...burnt a new CD few moments ago...

Boots fine here from CD, USB flash drive and USB hard disk drive.

However: it is not needed to burn to CD and/or to boot from CD.

If you can't burn to cd or can't boot from cd, just open/mount the .iso file and copy its content to the installation directory of a plain tahr 6.0.2 installation (make backup first, if needed) and boot this plain tahr 6.0.2 installation and run the installer script from this location.

It definitely needs the modified initrd.gz to be booted!
I never use some USB's! Why would I have to do that?
It is required for the installer script, as it formats the media automatically and sets boot flag to the media. You won't do that to the your computer's boot partition, no?

The installer needs to be run, as it is setting up the LazY Puppy 5. Booting from CD will just run the plain tahr 6.0.2 - only for installation task.

After LazY Puppy 5 is successfully installed to usb flash drive, you can just move/copy the content of the usb flash drive to a desired partition - should work even on internal HD.

Though at least you'll need to modify your menu.lst file manually - which shouldn't be any problem at all.

Thanks
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Thu 23 Jun 2016, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

oui

#6 Post by oui »

oh, very interesting for me:

all circle are oval in the new LazY so that I did make a screenshot.

and as you can see, I did not be able to connect to the web in the new LazY, so that I did have to reboot to post that message out, in this case, Original Lubuntu minimal 16.04 (as I will see if somewhat is wrong with my network).

in Lubuntu 16.04, the network continues to work properly. the network is ok.

and in Lubuntu 16.04 are the problem with the ovalized not apparent any more :roll: on the same unchanged picture!

(I can not remember why I never did use tahr! probably because of that visualisation's problems; Unicorn was always better and Barry did make major developments in Unicorn, like minimal Quirky 6.0, all Puppy out the kernel, new Quirky as normal ISO..., not in Tahr)

so I probably have to renounce - I am today in the hurry and can not spend more time to experimentation for problems being already solved, also not actual any more in newer versions of Linux. I am in the last LTS and Tahr is only the Old-LTS now!
Attachments
LazY.jpg
(92.52 KiB) Downloaded 1753 times

LazY Puppy

#7 Post by LazY Puppy »

all circle are oval in the new LazY so that I did make a screenshot.

and as you can see, I did not be able to connect to the web
That's funny...

...when I'm looking at the screenshot all circles look like circles - no ellipses to see!

Probably something hardware related as I had seen so many times in Puppy but also sometimes in some other Linux Systems.

E.g. the new Xenial Puppy doesn't recognize my GPRS usb modem (Precise, Tahr, Unicorn and Vivid does!).

None of the X-, L-, K- Ubuntus could recognize my GPRS usb modem - except Kubuntu 11 (but I had a different GPRS usb modem at this times).

Also I remember a Xubuntu hangs at boot up, but the Lubuntu of the same Ubuntu version had booted fine on the same machine.

Don't have any idea why such things do happen. Looks like we have to live with that in the Linux World.

Thanks.
RSH

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

@oui -- I do believe your monitor/screen is set to an incorrect resolution. What has happened is that Puppy has not properly detected it. LaZY, can you direct oui to the proper place in your Pup to fix that...? I'm not familiar enough with your offerings (shame on me!) to say where it is...

augras

#9 Post by augras »

Hi Lazy Puppy,
I just try your puppy but i maybe did something wrong or i did not understand something : no sfs to download (all the menu entries are empty) and some shortcut on the desktop are broken as you can see on the screenshot.
And i get an error on start up and in the terminal :

Code: Select all

bash: /etc/profile.local: ligne 326: erreur de syntaxe près du symbole inattendu « fi »
bash: /etc/profile.local: ligne 326: `fi'
Thanks,
Philippe
Attachments
capture24070.jpg
No sfs to load : all menu entries are empty ; and some shortcuts are broken on the desktop
(164.88 KiB) Downloaded 528 times

LazY Puppy

#10 Post by LazY Puppy »

Yes, the menus in the screenshot are empty.

These are the menus of the RoxApp Directory SARA-ScriptBox. They are empty by default and they need to be setup by the user.

Though, obviously you did something wrong.

The screenshot shows /mnt/home.

When /mnt/home is there and used you did boot to create a save file and this save file is used then. This LazY Puppy OS is designed to be used completely in PUPMODE=5 (no save file in use). By the use of a save file lots of stuff will not work and this may cause the error at /etc/profile.local.

Further more the taskbar is not the taskbar of LazY Puppy 5 (like in oui's screenshot as well). That says the related .sfs file is not loaded. The menu entries for .sfs files to download are placed into the JWM menu, which will not be there as the wrong taskbar shows.

This is equal to broken desktop shortcuts (missing .sfs file).

You can check this in /initrd which should look like this:
Attachments
Screenshot-2016-06-19-15-09-35.jpg
(62.12 KiB) Downloaded 1595 times
RSH

augras

#11 Post by augras »

You are right : i was with a pupsave !
But now i boot with the choice "music" and everything should be ok... but no.
As you can see in the short cut.
I don't understand what happen !
philippe
Attachments
capture29200.png
(32.25 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times
Last edited by augras on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

augras

#12 Post by augras »

If i understand something when i stop my computer i must always choice "No" when the window to make a pupsave appears ?
But how i keep my parameters : french keyboard, french langage pack, background, preferences of each sofware.... ?
Thanks,
Philippe

augras

#13 Post by augras »

Ok, i take a look to the TOPLESS posts and i configure the Music.cfg with the fr keyboard, french langage (put the .pet french langage pack into InstallMe... but it seem's that this config file is not load !
I'm not with the violin background for example.
And there are some other problems : i have no lazy menus entries in the jwm menu.
Philippe

augras

#14 Post by augras »

The Music.cfg is not load ! And i did not find which one is load.
The sfs (defaultapps_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, sfsplus_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, variomenu_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, binaries32_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, designs_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, icons_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, documents_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, langpack_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, roxappstarters_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, windomanager_tahr_6.0.2.sfs, libs32_tahr_6.0.2.sfs and sfsplusrunscripts_tahr_6.0.2.sfs) are not load at the start but they are working when load by hand : how to load them automatically at the start ?
And how to keep the parametrs from a software for the next time ? For example i put pdfsam in french but it doesn't stay at the next reboot.
Philippe

LazY Puppy

#15 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi augras.

That's a lot of reply to do.

Could you please post three screenshots first?

1. Screenshot of the partition (usb flash drive) where you did install LazY Puppy 5.
2. Screenshot of the directory where puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs is stored (should be tahr_6.0.2 at the usb flash drive partition)
3. Screenshot of content of directory ConfigData (at location where puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs is stored)

Before we can solve those stuff like keeping settings of applications etc.pp. we need to make sure that all of the .sfs files (I call them the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. System SFS Modules) are loaded at boot. Without those System SFS Modules loaded nothing at all will work and you will just boot/run a plain tahr 6.0.2.

Thanks

Edit:

Attached is a screenshot of the LazY Puppy 5 Menu, how it looks in FR. Though, yours may look a bit different, as it doesn't include the translation you made that I already included into my local langpack sfs module.

When your puppy used to install LazY Puppy 5 (!!! must be either LazY Puppy 5 based on tahr 6.0.2 booted from its CD or booting any tahr 6.0.2 from a different installation !!! How did you install ??? ) is setup to use FR language, LazY Puppy 5 should boot directly into FR interface, time zone and keyboard layout. No need to edit config files manually.

However: please post the three screenshots first.
Attachments
LazYPuppy5MenuFR.jpg
The LazY Puppy 5 Menu, how it looks in FR. Though, yours may look a bit different,
as it doesn't include the translation you made that I already included into my
local langpack sfs module.
(98.54 KiB) Downloaded 1516 times
RSH

augras

#16 Post by augras »

Hi Lazy Puppy,
The screenshot are below.
But i think i made a big errot at the first boot : i made all updates by quickpet !
I will try without update.
Philippe
Attachments
capture25765.png
(14.63 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
capture23413.png
(55.98 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
capture19417.png
(28.61 KiB) Downloaded 592 times

augras

#17 Post by augras »

It's the same thing with a new installation without update !
Philippe

LazY Puppy

#18 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok, I see the problem.

You did obviously use tahr 6.0.5 to install LazY Puppy 5?

But if you don't install from cd booting you need to run tahr 6.0.2 to install LazY Puppy 5. This one is based on tahr 6.0.2.

As you can see there is directory add in directory ConfigData. Also those .cfg files are still named as default-xxx files. These files should be renamed as well as those files inside of directory add and some of these .cfg files as well as this directory add should be gone after installation was finished.

Installation directory at install partition should be named tahr_6.0.2 where it is named tahr_6.0.5 in your installation.

Attached is a screenshot of how content of directory ConfigData should look if installation was successful.

Please, can you tell me, how did you exactly install LazY Puppy 5?

Did you also had problems booting from cd - like oui has had a problem?

Thanks.
Attachments
DirectoryConfigData.jpg
(48.76 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
RSH

LazY Puppy

#19 Post by LazY Puppy »

In addition to my previous post I found the wallpapers for config file tahr_6.0.2-Music.cfg missing in the .iso file.

They should have been in /data-bootdrive/My-Files/Wallpaper, Though there is no directory Music - see image.

So the related boot menu entry probably may result in a broken PuppyPin after X is running.

My download-/upload-traffic is out of range, so I'm at appr. 12kb until next month and can't upload the images (around 6 mega byte archive) until I re-charged my prepaid card for the gprs usb modem.

However any else wallpapers are existing.
Attachments
MissingWallpapers.jpg
(28.18 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
RSH

augras

#20 Post by augras »

Hi,
you ara right : i install from my tahrpup6.0.5 !
And i don't use a cd : just open the iso and install to an external usb disk.
I don't burn a cd around to years ago : puppy linux is magic for that... and a lot other things.
Il will download again tahrpup6.02 and try from it.
No problem for the background.
Philippe