Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile       

The time now is Mon 10 Aug 2020, 02:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Non-functioning Menu entry.... (SOLVED)
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2016, 08:15    Post subject:  

Hi, B.K.

Yes, I can see why you'd think that; it threw me as well for a while, until I realised that the /usr/bin entry is merely a symbolic link to the /opt/slimjet/flashpeak-slimjet wrapper.....which is what actually gets things going.

Anyway, boys'n'girls, I'm pleased to report SUCCESS. perdido's catch of the wrapper-script generating its own .desktop entries appears to have been the 'fly in the ointment'. I've modified the wrapper-script, by deleting ALL the stuff relating to generating a .desktop entry, plus a load of stuff about GNOME properties, etc; for which there is absolutely no use in Puppy. Having done that, I re-named the Menu entry in the .desktop file that I created (so it reads better, and is actually more relevant); re-packaged as .pet & SFS, and re-tested.

After editing /root/.jwmrc to get rid of the superfluous entries, then re-starting 'X', the un-needed entries were gone. I then did a re-boot to make sure the changes were saved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@nic007; Following your advice, I found that after deletion, running 'fixmenus' and re-starting JWM, the 'ghost entries' were straight back there again! That's why I decided on re-starting 'X', instead.....which seemed to do the trick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon installation (.pet or SFS, doesn't matter), for some stupid reason the 'ghost' entries are back in the Menu (these are recognisable as 'FlashPeak SlimJet, with no icon).....but the main thing is that having removed all the .desktop stuff from the wrapper-script, SlimJet will now start from the Menu entry. This is the one thing that had been eluding me. I've given up worrying about the 'ghost' entries; they're quite possibly peculiar to my system, since I've been messing around so much in recent days..!

Anyway, that's got the Slacko .pet & SFS working. I'll boot over into Tahr64, do the necessary construction & testing there, and all things being equal, I'll be re-uploading them this afternoon, so that the links in my SlimJet thread will be active again.

Thanks a bunch everybody. The help was much appreciated; several sets of eyes on a problem often pick up on stuff that a single pair will miss.....'can't see the wood for the trees', etc.

Interestingly, having looked at one of OscarTalks' wrapper-scripts in his 32-bit SlimJet packages, I see he's removed exactly the same stuff that I've ended up getting shot of; so I guess Oscar ran into the same 'glitches' that I did..!

I'll mark this as 'Solved'. Thanks again, people!

Mike. Wink

nic007

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2016, 09:24    Post subject:  

Glad you got it sorted. X server seems to produce "difficulties" with newer pups/kernels. I have Java and Wine sfs add-ons which gets loaded at boot time. Sometimes when I want to run Java or Wine applications in Tahr, Java and/or Wine seems to "die" or "become unresponsive". I then need to restart X to get things going again. Also can't get my laptop to suspend when using Tahr. X shuts down momentarily and then activates again. I'm back using Racy 5.5 where eveything works and no hiccups.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2016, 09:34    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Glad you got it sorted. X server seems to produce "difficulties" with newer pups/kernels. I have Java and Wine sfs add-ons which gets loaded at boot time. Sometimes when I want to run Java or Wine applications in Tahr, Java and/or Wine seems to "die" or "become unresponsive". I then need to restart X to get things going again. Also can't get my laptop to suspend when using Tahr. X shuts down momentarily and then activates again. I'm back using Racy 5.5 where eveything works and no hiccups.

Ahhh; Racy 5.5... 'Oldies but goodies...' Laughing

The only reason I started messing about with this 64-bit SlimJet is because I'm a long-time Chrome user. 32-bit Chrome is no more, so 64-bit it is. I found Oscar's SlimJet packages a while ago, and really like it; if it weren't for not supporting NetFlix, I'd give Chrome the heave-ho.....that's a measure of just how much I like it.

But having started looking into the 64-bit Pups (I now run 3 of these, in addition to half-a-dozen assorted 32-bit 'critters'..!), I thought I'd see if I could get the 64-bit SlimJet to run, too.

After all.....why not? Laughing

Mike. Wink

perdido

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2016, 10:30    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

Upon installation (.pet or SFS, doesn't matter), for some stupid reason the 'ghost' entries are back in the Menu (these are recognisable as 'FlashPeak SlimJet, with no icon).....but the main thing is that having removed all the .desktop stuff from the wrapper-script, SlimJet will now start from the Menu entry. This is the one thing that had been eluding me. I've given up worrying about the 'ghost' entries; they're quite possibly peculiar to my system, since I've been messing around so much in recent days..!

That script was checking for the existence of a "slimjet.desktop" file, then creating it if not found. Since the "ghost" entries are still showing up it might be worth a try renaming the desktop file you created to the name of the file it is searching for, may prevent the entries from appearing, may not.
nic007

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2016, 11:44    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
nic007 wrote:

Ahhh; Racy 5.5... 'Oldies but goodies...' Laughing

The only reason I started messing about with this 64-bit SlimJet is because I'm a long-time Chrome user. 32-bit Chrome is no more, so 64-bit it is. I found Oscar's SlimJet packages a while ago, and really like it; if it weren't for not supporting NetFlix, I'd give Chrome the heave-ho.....that's a measure of just how much I like it.

But having started looking into the 64-bit Pups (I now run 3 of these, in addition to half-a-dozen assorted 32-bit 'critters'..!), I thought I'd see if I could get the 64-bit SlimJet to run, too.

After all.....why not? Laughing

Mike. Wink

What I like about Racy is that the kernel is not too old as it supports stuff like xz compression. Also, my Racy base sfs file is 116MB (I re-compressed the standard issue to maximum compression which cut off another 5MB). Quite impressive given the size of the newest puppy's. I guess I have a thing for small puppy's that just works. Racy 5.5 was released in 2013 so not that ancient either.
Dry Falls

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun 2016, 00:39    Post subject:  

As to the jwm menu, have you looked at /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc ? There might be something in there. This is the basis for /root/.jwmrc. Despite the warnings, you can edit this file. Also, there are tons of *.desktop files with %f, %F, %u, etc, etc which jwm doesn't understand. You can comment (rather than delete) the exec line and write a new one just below it without the appendage. If nothing else breaks, great, but you can always change it back.

df
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun 2016, 16:52    Post subject:  

Hi, DF.

No, I wasn't aware you could mess around with that one; like you say, the warning says 'don't'.....so I left well alone!

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: