Yara OSX 3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
LazY Puppy

#121 Post by LazY Puppy »

Problem solved: the program store her settings in gconf for reinstallation, and only it access at first boot, so your script must copy the /root/.config/gconf/apps/dockbarx directory from temp location BEFORE that first start. Changes after start are not ready by application.
When I had added the files from /root/.config/gconf/apps/dockbarx to my xfceaddons_yara_1.5.sfs those files where already there before anything from xfce, emerald, dockbarx etc. could have been executed. And it was loaded to a top layer. Though it didn't work that way.

However, when I tried to solve this by copying from temp location I had done this from 'autostart', so probably dockbarx has been executed once already.

Will give this another go, trying to include the code of to copy those files into a section that will be executed from /etc/profile.local - so, definitely before dockbarx could have been executed once.

Still got the version of xfceaddons_yara_1.5.sfs that includes dockbarx stuff to check this quickly (tonight).

Thanks.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

fmiguel

#122 Post by fmiguel »

Version 1.6.

Now users can modify the panel and change window manager through new Quickpet (named Petshop in Yara) tool menu options. Added dock support for panel and improved transparency.

And a little gift in this link: lots of plank themes to customize it. Just install, Crlt+Right click in Plank and select the theme you want to decorate.

LazY Puppy

#123 Post by LazY Puppy »

Is the previously mentioned Geany issue (executing a script from within Geany failed) fixed in 1.6?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

fmiguel

#124 Post by fmiguel »

LazY Puppy wrote:Is the previously mentioned Geany issue (executing a script from within Geany failed) fixed in 1.6?
Isn't needed, Geeny has a virtual terminal included that it enable in Edit/Preferences/Terminal/Execute programs in the VTE. But if you prefer xterm only type in terminal

sed -i 's/terminal_cmd=xterm -e/terminal_cmd=/usr/bin/xterm -e bash -c -e/g' /root/.config/geany/geany.conf

LazY Puppy

#125 Post by LazY Puppy »

Yes, know the VTE option.

Though this option is left a geany runscript at all locations after I'm executing a script from that locations within geany. Need to remove these runscripts manually all the time. This is ugly and it is horribly time wasting. Probably the developer of that option had a very bad bad day once.

I think, that's why this isn't enabled by default and xterm command is used to execute scripts from within geany in other Puppies.
RSH

fmiguel

#126 Post by fmiguel »

I need help: Geary email client run fine in Yara but I don't find a gtk theme that works nice. Anyone it know?

fmiguel

#127 Post by fmiguel »

I answer myself: the problem is icon theme, that Geary it is too especial.

LazY Puppy

#128 Post by LazY Puppy »

Yara OSX is really a nice looking OS.

Though, I'm sorry to say: I had to stop using T.O.P.L.E.S.S. made Yara OSX as for my daily OS.

There is just too many things blocked and -just partial- only customizable by editing files in a text editor.

No option to change a gtk theme during the session.

The helpers aren't customizable (at least I couldn't achieve anything on that).

Internet connection wizard is missing its second tab (where to choose what action to start next time)

Launchers added to the desktop by drag'n'drop won't be applied to the desktop.

Launchers (.desktop files) copied into /root/Desktop won't launch at all, so they are useless on the desktop.

Plus many more...

I will have an eye on this from time to time and -probably- may return, if there is a Yara OSX available being almost fully customizable.

Pity. :(
RSH

nic007

#129 Post by nic007 »

LazY Puppy wrote:Yara OSX is really a nice looking OS.

Though, I'm sorry to say: I had to stop using T.O.P.L.E.S.S. made Yara OSX as for my daily OS.

There is just too many things blocked and -just partial- only customizable by editing files in a text editor.

Internet connection wizard is missing its second tab (where to choose what action to start next time)

Launchers (.desktop files) copied into /root/Desktop won't launch at all, so they are useless on the desktop.

Plus many more...

I will have an eye on this from time to time and -probably- may return, if there is a Yara OSX available being almost fully customizable.

Unfortunately, I came to the same conclusion. All the extra eye-candy does not really make things worth it. Besides, doing a little fiddling around with the JWM and gtk themes, altering some JWM settings and adding extra functionality to JWM like multi-copy-move-paste, one can make the standard Tahr issue look very nice, professional and functional. Yara is still a nice puplet though.

fmiguel

#130 Post by fmiguel »

LazY Puppy wrote:Yara OSX is really a nice looking OS.

Plus many more...

Most of that questions are solved in 1.6. To make visibles launchers -and all icons- on desktop can enable this option in Control Panel/Desktop/Icons, and also make it executables.

LazY Puppy

#131 Post by LazY Puppy »

nic007 wrote:Yara is still a nice puplet though.
Yes, that's definitely true.

I would like to say also, this has potential to become one of the top Puppy Linux Derivatives - if it would be almost fully customizable or completely customizable at all without the need to edit files manually in text editor.

Once I had tried another XFCE Puppy, though it hasn't really convinced me as it was missing ROX, so all my RoxApps are useless unless I click its AppRun script.

But this here Yara OSX, XFCE combined with emerald somehow comforted me even for its lack of ROX.
fmiguel wrote:Most of that questions are solved in 1.6. To make visibles launchers -and all icons- on desktop can enable this option in Control Panel/Desktop/Icons, and also make it executables.
As I wrote: I will have an eye on this.

Maybe I will try to download 1.8 or 1.9 when almost everything will be customizable easily.

Though, I'm still interested in contributing to a 64bit version - which should be (almost) completely customizable from the beginning, from the very first version to come.

So, make it more customizable and keep up this good work!
RSH

fmiguel

#132 Post by fmiguel »

fmiguel wrote:Version 1.6.

Now users can modify the panel and change window manager through new Quickpet (named Petshop in Yara) tool menu options.
It can obtain a fully customizable Yara OSX enabling that, with option to disable again and prevent accidental changes. I think this feature can be interesting to some collective work environments.

LazY Puppy

#133 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok,

I couldn't resist as I really like Yara OSX. So I downloaded version 1.6 and gave it a go.

Made it T.O.P.L.E.S.S. again which is an easy and quick task by now and added some .desktop files to /root/Desktop. After making them executable I could start those programs from the desktop (which is then from its .desktop files in /root/Desktop).

I'm using the VarioMenu generally which is setup to use 10 different desktops and each of those desktop has its own wallpaper and also its own Icon setup for programs - at least in those Puppies that are using the Rox desktop/pinboard.

The 10 different desktops -incl. the wallpapers- are already working in T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Yara Puppy. Though they are more or less useless without to have also 10 different setups of icons present on the desktop (VarioMenu-Group).

So I improved and extended the VarioMenu for the use in T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Yara Puppy.

Now I can have different setup of icons for each VarioMenu-Group. And it is therefor quite close to the comfort I'm used to.

Screenshots attached.

Though, there is still some stuff missing which is available in tahr 6.0.2 (which Yara OSX is based on) and which is not dependent to JWM.

Two examples: gftp, asunder

Why to remove such programs (as the above) that are not depending on JWM?
RSH

LazY Puppy

#134 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok,

I was able to solve some things that will make T.O.P.L.E.S.S. made Yara 1.6 comfort me like it does in default T.O.P.L.E.S.S. made JWM Puppy - like tahr, unicorn, vivid. :D

- 10 different desktops (viewports) with different icon setup and wallpaper
- - easy to change by keyboard shortcuts
- programs executable from the desktop
- modified DockX desktop dock
- - keeps settings now in complete, if I choose to save to the xfceaddons_yara_1.6.sfs
- added menu pipes (some sort of) to have access to my external RoxApps, Scripts and Wine Portables
- - so, I can use my RoxApps etc. from a menu entry, automatically updated at every boot/reboot
- made an .sfs module of asunder 2.4
- - taken from original tahr 6.0.2
- made an .sfs module of gftp 2.0.19
- - taken from original tahr 6.0.2
Attachments
Composit-Screenshot-10-Desktops-640.jpg
Small Preview Composit Screenshot - 640x512 Pixel
(93.45 KiB) Downloaded 1557 times
Composit-Screenshot-10-Desktops.jpg
Full size Composit Screenshot - 1280x1024 Pixel
(233.1 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
RSH

fmiguel

#135 Post by fmiguel »

Yara OSX has arrived to version 2.0.

Tahrpup 6.0.5 and X-tahr 2.0 based.

Compiz, Slingshot, Plank, gtk3 and more.

fmiguel

1.6 in japanese

#136 Post by fmiguel »

The Japanese Puppy community has translated Yara and it can obtain http://makedoclinux.blogspot.com.es/201 ... 16-jp.html :D

fmiguel

#137 Post by fmiguel »

Yara is updated to version 2.1: new kernel and software upgrade. The most mac-ish puppy is here. Inhttp://yara-osx.weebly.com, of course.

jplt_bis

#138 Post by jplt_bis »

hello fmiguel ,

where can we find the changes between the 2.0 and 2.1 version ?

Thanks for your work.

fmiguel

#139 Post by fmiguel »

Hello, jplt_bis, and thanks to you. Sorry, I don't list the changes, but basically is the linux kernel 4.10.11 and last versions of Plank and Seamonkey.

jplt_bis

#140 Post by jplt_bis »

Code: Select all

puppy_yara_2.1.sfs not found
that's the message when i try to boot via an usb key here my entry in grub4dos (usb frugal install)

Code: Select all

title Yara OS 2.1 (sdb1/oss/yaraos)
  uuid 337A-02D8
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /oss/yaraos/initrd.gz
  kernel /oss/yaraos/vmlinuz  pmedia=usbflash  pfix=fsck,ram
  initrd /oss/yaraos/initrd.gz
Strange ?
Where to look to fix this ?