Yara OSX 3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mister_electronico

Gracias fmiguel

#61 Post by mister_electronico »

Gracias fmiguel, la voy a probar ahora mismo.

saludos.

fmiguel

#62 Post by fmiguel »

New release 1.2. Added Plank as default dock app, and Slingshot stability.

fmiguel

#63 Post by fmiguel »

To enable java scripts in Midori browser: https://archive.org/download/yara-v1.1/ ... 1-sf01.sfs

LazY Puppy

#64 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Yesterday I downloaded Yara 1.2 and made a manual frugal install to my boot drive. Booted fine on my machine until I made a manual edit of the pup_yara_1.2.sfs. Just added a few of my own scripts into /root/my-roxapps and /root/my-applications plus some icons into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps and /usr/share/pixmaps.

At next boot Yara 1.2 hangs when it comes to the update of gtk icon cache. So I made a workaround for that (renaming gtk-update-icon-cache to gtk-update-icon-cache-bin and created a script gtk-update-icon-cache that calls:

Code: Select all

gtk-update-icon-cache-bin &
(Notice the &)

After that it booted into X desktop fine, though it doesn't recognize the soundcard anymore. So, no sound at all.

Why doesn't Yara 1.2 accept manual editing of its main sfs by adding just a few icons and scripts?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

fmiguel

#65 Post by fmiguel »

Hi, LazY.

First thanks for testing Yara. Is strange this issue: manual editing of the sfs should not affect the sound. I updated today to version 1.3, to replace and add applications. You could try with this new version and confirm the issue persist?

I take the opportunity to put here a theming package to mac-ish more Yara: https://archive.org/download/yara-v1.1/ ... orYara.pet. Just need to install, change a few settings in Appearance, Emerald and Plank configs, restart x and a new look appear.

Thanks again.

LazY Puppy

#66 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi, fmiguel.

I've downloaded version 1.3 Yara OSX and repeated my previously task done on 1.2.

There was again that issue at boot up when it comes to do gtk-update-icon-cache. Used my workaround for that issue and booted straight into graphical desktop.

Soundcard detected and recognized! 8)

Yara seems to be a very very nice looking OS. I really like the full screen menu (the one that has transparency).

Since it seems to be based on tahr,

DISTRO_DB_SUBNAME='tahr'
I was able to turn it into a T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Yara Puppy 5.1.3 immediately after applying my gtk-update-icon-cache workaround to its main sfs.

Though, I'm missing the rox filer as for its ability to have RoxApps (AppDir or Program directory). Most of my tools are created as such RoxApps and stored at boot drive to use them in many different Puppies. In Yara I need to enter the RoxApp directory clicking on the AppRun file.

Could you provide a rox package to install into Yara?

Edit:

To use Rox Filer in Yara 1.3 I've collected the related files from tahr 605 and created a Rox-Filer.sfs, so I can choose to use Thunar or Rox.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#67 Post by LazY Puppy »

Just to say, I'm very happy with that Yara 1.3.

So I post two screenshots of my T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5.1.3 based on Yara OSX 1.3 using Cairo Dock instead of Plank! :D

Thank you very much for that wonderful kind of development! 8)

Now I got to examine and to find out how to change themes like gtk, icons, emerald, xfce, numbers of desktops, wallpaper per desktop etc. by the parameters used in my T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Configuration Files (and probably adding some new ones for this). :P

WOW!
Attachments
Screenshot-2016-10-12-08-32-20.jpg
(104.13 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Screenshot-2016-10-12-08-18-37.jpg
(61.45 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

fmiguel

#68 Post by fmiguel »

Really nice, LazY! :) I'm wishing to prove your T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Cairo-Dock is awesome but I don't know if could work well in my old laptop.

LazY Puppy

#69 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok,

after examining and playing with the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5.1.3 based on Yara OSX 1.3 using Cairo Dock instead of Plank, I was able to add some code (plus changing a little of existing code, e.g.: needed to modify the my already heavily modified 'fixmenus') for the use of new and already existing T.O.P.L.E.S.S. parameters to modify XFCE and Emerald already at boot up.

Now I can boot into different Emerald themes and GTK theme is now also recognized. Going to add some more during the day like to change single-/double-click behavior of Desktop and Thunar.

Though, I got at least five questions (probably there are more to come soon):

- where to download more icons (there's only /usr/share/icons/Compass) ?
- where to download more themes for Emerald ?
- which devx to use (tahr 602 or tahr 605) ?
- how to make the xfce-panel autohide ?
- where does the full screen menu (the one with transparency, slingshot?) store its settings (I want to deactivate its category 'All') ?

Definitely, from now on I got a new daily OS:

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5.1.3 based on Yara OSX 1.3 using Cairo Dock instead of Plank! :D 8)

Current Programs in use by SFS P.L.U.S. RunScripts SFS:

LP2_Aeolus-0.9.0-1-tahr.sfs
LP2_ALSAPlayer-0.99.81.sfs
LP2_ApplyExifJAR-1.05.sfs
LP2_Aqualung-0.9-tahr.sfs
LP2_Ardour-2.8.16-tahr.sfs
LP2_Ardour-3.5.308-tahr.sfs
LP2_ArtOfIllusion-3.0-DocsAndScenes.sfs
LP2_ArtOfIllusion-3.0.sfs
LP2_Audacity-2.0.5-tahr.sfs
LP2_Audacity-tahr-2.1.sfs
LP2_AutoAdjust-Image-Suite-1.0.0.sfs
LP2_Blender-2.73-i686.sfs
LP2_CBR-Pager-0.9.22.sfs
LP2_CinelerraCV215.sfs
LP2_DVDStyler-2.5.2-tahr.sfs
LP2_Firefox7.sfs
LP2_FM4Pane-3.0.sfs
LP2_ForeMost-1.5.5.sfs
LP2_Fraqtive-0.4.5-6-precise.sfs
LP2_Fyre-1.0.1-1.sfs
LP2_GDAM-Builder-IDE.sfs
LP2_Gimp-2.8.10-tahr.sfs
LP2_GimpPainter-2.8.7.sfs
LP2_Gimp-PlugIns-2.8.sfs
LP2_GTick-0.5.2-3-tahr.sfs
LP2_GtKlick-0.6.4-4-tahr.sfs
LP2_GtkRecordMyDesk-0.3.8.1-tahr.sfs
LP2_Guitarix-0.28.2-4-tahr.sfs
LP2_Hexter-1.0.2-3-tahr.sfs
LP2_Horgand-1.14-5-tahr.sfs
LP2_Hydrogen-0.9.6-tahr.sfs
LP2_ImageTagger-1.1.0.2.sfs
LP2_JASCiiArt-0.10-JDraw-1.1.5.sfs
LP2_JGraphite-0.5.8.sfs
LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs
LP2_JWildFire-2.23.sfs
LP2_KDEnLiVE-0.9.6-tahr.sfs
LP2_Kid3-2.1-i486.sfs
LP2_LightZone_4.0.0-0_i386.sfs
LP2_Lives-2.2.0-tahr.sfs
LP2_lmms-1.0.0-tahr.sfs
LP2_Mandvd-2.5-5.sfs
LP2_Marble-4.8.3-precise.sfs
LP2_Metaphorical-Silhouette-0.3.sfs
LP2_Muse-2.1.2-1-tahr.sfs
LP2_MuseScore-1.3-full-tahr.sfs
LP2_OpenOffice-4.1.1.sfs
LP2_Palemoon-24.7.1.sfs
LP2_PDFSaM-2.2.1.sfs
LP2_Pencil2D-0.5.4-tahr.sfs
LP2_Pencil-0.4.4b.sfs
LP2_Pically-1.0.3.sfs
LP2_Pikona4.sfs
LP2_Pixelitor_1.1.1.sfs
LP2_Pixelize-1.0.0-1.sfs
LP2_PupSnap-1.6.3_Scrot-0.8_32Bit-l528.sfs
LP2_QJackCtl-0.3.10-2-tahr.sfs
LP2_QTractor-0.5.11-3-tahr.sfs
LP2_QWatermark-0.2.1.sfs
LP2_Rakarrack-0.6.1-4-tahr.sfs
LP2_Rosegarden-13.06-tahr.sfs
LP2_RotoScope-0.2.sfs
LP2_Sankore-2.4.0.sfs
LP2_tintii-2.9.0-i486-static.sfs
LP2_urbanlightscape-1.3.3-i486-static.sfs
LP2_WineCorelSuite.sfs
LP2_WinePortableApplicationStarter-1.1.3-1.7.4.sfs
LP2_Wink151.sfs
LP2_Xaos35.sfs
LP2_XFE1325.sfs
LP2_xvidcap-1.1.7-tahr.sfs
LP2_Zita-MusicTools-1.0-tahr.sfs
LP2_ZynAddMusicTools-1.0-tahr.sfs
LP3_Flowblade-0.18.sfs
LP3_XaraLX-1785.sfs
LP5_Firefox-45.0.1-2.sfs
LP5_Scrivener-1.9.0.1-i386.sfs

Running in PUPMODE=5 (RAM only) and am posting from Firefox in LP5_Firefox-45.0.1-2.sfs!
RSH

LazY Puppy

#70 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok,

I'm answering to my own questions (at least two of them). For those of the Yara users who are interested, here are some links to Emerald themes and XFCE Icon Sets:

Icon Sets:
Glass Icon Set (see screenshot)
Sphere 1.4 Calibre Icon Set
Emerald Icon Set
Web0 Icon Set

More to find at: vinceliuice.deviantart.com

Emerald themes:
Emerald themes from Mint repository (see screenshot)

More Emerald themes at: gnome-look.org
Attachments
Screenshot-2016-10-12-19-47-42.jpg
(176.41 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
RSH

fmiguel

#71 Post by fmiguel »

Hi again. Look wonderful.

To autohide panel type in terminal:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-1/autohide-behavior -n -t uint -s 1

And to hide «All» category in slingshot you need to modify the binary file (available in https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... /+packages) Slingshot.vala and compile, cause not exist a config file. Not sure what the outcome.

Edit: I'm sorry, I forgot, the devx is 6.0.2

LazY Puppy

#72 Post by LazY Puppy »

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-1/autohide-behavior -n -t uint -s 1
Ok, thanks.

I see!
xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-1/autohide-behavior -n -t uint -s 0
Will turn off autohide panel - as successfully tested.

I will create two small scipts to switch autohide on/off.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#73 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok, as I said, there are more questions.

Yara's XFCE or probably its emerald has a plugin that makes the menu of the active program/window appearing inside of the task bar. This plugin crashes when the top window/program doesn't have a menu bar as usual - like the rox filer from my sfs as well as firefox 45 and some of my gtkdialog scripts.

The information dialog about the crashing plugin doesn't come up as a top layer window (it's hidden behind the current top window) and it disables e.g. function to unmaximize maximzed windows by its unmaximize button, so they remain maximized until the warning dialog is closed.

I want to disable this plugin by default from within a script. How to do this?

And since we are here: how could activating/deactivating being done by XFCE, emerald or its Settings GUI's?

As an inferior solution -if this is not possible- I would also consider to just to rename or remove this plugin from Yara's main sfs at boot up by a script (which is then temporarily during the session, but still revertable), so how is the plugin's name for that and where is it to be found inside the OS?

---

Generally I like to have right-click menus (on files as well as on the desktop for a menu), so I'd enabled the desktop's right-click menu by default. There is a section on top of that menu where to create launchers and documents etc.

Creating a document is a submenu that offers just an empty file to create plus information about 'No templates installed'. How to create such templates and where are they stored?

Thanks in advance for solutions.

RSH

Edit:

Ok, I've examined again and found the plugins stored at /usr/lib/xfce4, where its directory panel-plugins contains the library libtopmenu.so. I'm renaming this to libtopmenu.so.disabled at boot up scripts and the warning dialog about 'topmenu' crashing doesn't appear anymore - so, the plugin seems not loaded anymore.

Since I'd changed now to use Rox filer as the default file manager, I can use all of my template files etc. from within Rox filer - just as usual in my T.O.P.L.E.S.S. JWM Puppies.

However, Thunar is still usable, so It would be nice, to get knowledge about how to create those templates for a use in XFCE/Thunar right-click menus.
Attachments
Screenshot-2016-10-14-01-20-12.jpg
(66.17 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
RSH

fmiguel

#74 Post by fmiguel »

Amazing :D ! Your solutions are originals. Yara is intended to provide a useful environment with minimal configuration and visually appealing, so I blocked many options, but it also allows people like you are original.

LazY Puppy

#75 Post by LazY Puppy »

However, Thunar is still usable, so It would be nice, to get knowledge about how to create those templates for a use in XFCE/Thunar right-click menus.
After sending some files to the xfce4 trash I found /root/.local/share/Trash being used for the trash directory. So I checked /root/.local/share/Templates and /root/.local/share/templates and put some files into these directories, though this didn't offer any templates in the related Thunar right-click menu.

Just before I gave up, I checked /root/Templates and that worked - though, there is a limitation:

- my templates directory used in Rox filer contains not only files but also directories to create easily linux directory structures for my developments from that templates.

These directory templates aren't usable by the Create Document right-click menu. Instead the menu offers the content of these directories to create documents from.

So, this is solved.

---

Another issue I'd found:

- XFCE/Emerald/Compiz doesn't allow wmctrl or xdotool to change the current desktop (so my VarioMenu currently is useless), as there is just one desktop with different view ports. Though, to switch desktops by its view ports doesn't work as expected.

E.g. xdotool:

DESKTOP1="0 0"
DESKTOP2="1280 0"
DESKTOP3="2560 0"
DESKTOP4="3840 0"
DESKTOP5="5120 0"
DESKTOP6="0 1024"
DESKTOP7="1280 1024"
DESKTOP8="2561 1025"
DESKTOP9="3840 1024"
DESKTOP10="5120 1024"

#read NEWDESK
NEWDESK=8
case $NEWDESK in
	1) MYDESK="$DESKTOP1" ;;
	2) MYDESK="$DESKTOP2" ;;
	3) MYDESK="$DESKTOP3" ;;
	4) MYDESK="$DESKTOP4" ;;
	5) MYDESK="$DESKTOP5" ;;
	6) MYDESK="$DESKTOP6" ;;
	7) MYDESK="$DESKTOP7" ;;
	8) MYDESK="$DESKTOP8" ;;
	9) MYDESK="$DESKTOP9" ;;
	10) MYDESK="$DESKTOP10" ;;
esac
xdotool set_desktop_viewport $MYDESK
E.g. wmctrl:

DESKTOP1="0 0"
DESKTOP2="1280,0"
DESKTOP3="2560,0"
DESKTOP4="3840,0"
DESKTOP5="5120,0"
DESKTOP6="0,1024"
DESKTOP7="1280,1024"
DESKTOP8="2561,1025"
DESKTOP9="3840,1024"
DESKTOP10="5120,1024"

#read NEWDESK
NEWDESK=8
case $NEWDESK in
	1) MYDESK="$DESKTOP1" ;;
	2) MYDESK="$DESKTOP2" ;;
	3) MYDESK="$DESKTOP3" ;;
	4) MYDESK="$DESKTOP4" ;;
	5) MYDESK="$DESKTOP5" ;;
	6) MYDESK="$DESKTOP6" ;;
	7) MYDESK="$DESKTOP7" ;;
	8) MYDESK="$DESKTOP8" ;;
	9) MYDESK="$DESKTOP9" ;;
	10) MYDESK="$DESKTOP10" ;;
esac
wmctrl -o $MYDESK
I think I can solve this by a script using xdotool and its commands to move the mouse cursor around and to execute mouse clicks. So the script needs just to store current mouse position, then move the mouse cursor to the corner left-down, then move to the desktop to be activated in the desktop- or workplace-blackboard, clicking on it, move again to the corner left-down and set the mouse cursor to its starting position.

I really like this XFCE/Emerald/Compiz combination!

Though, pity that you'd blocked many options.
RSH

fmiguel

#76 Post by fmiguel »

Last edited by fmiguel on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

LazY Puppy

#77 Post by LazY Puppy »

fmiguel wrote:Sorry, I think it is important: new update, added topbar transparency and solved some bugs, included, maybe, topmenu crashes, but I need more tests.
I'd downloaded already version 1.3.

This update is a new upload or is this update already in 1.3 that I donwloaded a few days ago?

The link to download says still 1.3 to download.

Thanks

Btw. I'd solved the problem to switch between my 10 desktops by a script (for my VarioMenu) plus to have a different wallpaper for each of the 10 desktops/VarioMenu-Groups). Now I need to examine how to have different icons for each desktop/VarioMenu-Group.

Do I need to download again for the updates?
RSH

fmiguel

#78 Post by fmiguel »

Is a new remaster. Maybe, if you don't touched main sfs, only you need is replace it.

Edit: I'm very interested in your works in Yara. When possible, you know, upload for tests.
Last edited by fmiguel on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:25, edited 2 times in total.

LazY Puppy

#79 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok, so a new remaster but still labeled as version 1.3.

Going to download right now.

Later tonight I'm going to post the two scripts to change desktops and wallpapers easily.

Thanks

Edit:

Downloaded.

The .iso downloaded as version 1.3.2, so it is only the link/description in opening post that still says version 1.3. Got it...

Edit2:

No, the .sfs still comes as 1.3. Never mind...
RSH

LazY Puppy

#80 Post by LazY Puppy »

Just applied my workaround for the gtk icon cache (just to make sure) to the main sfs and it booted straight to the graphical desktop. xfce task bar transparency looks nice.

Though, that transparency stuff seems to be some kind of un-needed fun stuff for computer kiddies. E.g. if one got several windows opened on the desktop and calling the slingscold menu (sorry, not slingshot :lol: :oops: ) it's quite a mess on the desktop's view.

Any chance to disable slingscold's transparency?
RSH