VLC : what works, what does not

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
learnhow2code

#61 Post by learnhow2code »

jlst wrote:mplayer did work but the mplayer window would disappear if the focus changed to other window.
interesting, havent had that happen. mplayer is always my first choice; vlc was once my next choice but lately (puppy aside) theyve taken a large quality hit. i would be interested in why mplayer has such an issue in puppy.

Pelo

#62 Post by Pelo »

The problem with Mplayer is that Tahrpup, Xenial puppy kick it out, as Ubuntu did.
I a sure all answer for FFmpeg and Mplayer are available in the Puppy forum, as it has been since several years our choice to replace GXine.
About VLC, i don't have anything against VLC, created by french students. But Mplayer is needed so often by any of our puppies that is is really to bad idea to abandon it. The minimum is that persons who did that choice provide us with a no garbled version of VLC (if ever they choose anything).

Billtoo

VLC : what works, what does not

#63 Post by Billtoo »

I compiled xine-lib-1.2.6 and xine-ui-0.99.9 in Xslacko 4.1, it's
working well with Smtube-16.7.2.
Vlc-2.2.4 is working well with it as well.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(101.39 KiB) Downloaded 659 times

jlst

#64 Post by jlst »

learnhow2code wrote:
jlst wrote:mplayer did work but the mplayer window would disappear if the focus changed to other window.
interesting, havent had that happen. mplayer is always my first choice; vlc was once my next choice but lately (puppy aside) theyve taken a large quality hit. i would be interested in why mplayer has such an issue in puppy.
Well, mplayer does have basically everything, but when you test it with various graphics cards, you're more likely to encounter issues, but mplayer will still play vids.

I have a script to rip DVD subtitles with mplayer... it's also used in scripts to play radio stations, etc... so i don't think it's a good idea to replace mplayer as the default media player in Puppy, unless it's replaced by mpv hehe..

If there is a problem with mplayer, one should upgrade..

learnhow2code

#65 Post by learnhow2code »

jlst wrote:mplayer does have basically everything, but when you test it with various graphics cards, you're more likely to encounter issues, but mplayer will still play vids.
more likely to throw out the card or the machine than mplayer in that case. i dont have a lot of patience for other players, but i can appreciate that mplayer is not the de facto number 1 choice for puppy-- particularly given what youre saying.
i don't think it's a good idea to replace mplayer as the default media player in Puppy, unless it's replaced by mpv hehe..
last time i used puppy to play media, xine seemed to be the thing. hateful thing, dont care for it at all. but i was quite aware that i could use something else, and i always used boot media (usb or cd) that let me add pups and pets for whatever player i wanted. if mplayer is the new default, i would say thats probably a good thing.

Pelo

pets For Slacko

#66 Post by Pelo »

"I made pets of Vlc-2.2.4 for both Slacko-64-6.3.2 and Slacko-6.3.2 "
Biltoo kindly provided here Biltoo kindly provides pets here

Pelo

Please precise what you tested

#67 Post by Pelo »

Vlc Can run files, but not CD, or DVD.
Please precise what you tested
File extension
CD
DVD, full and or Chapters

smokey01

#68 Post by smokey01 »

pelo this is VLC-2.2.2 running in Fatdog64-710. As you can see it displays chapters and titles on a DVD. If you have a 64bit computer maybe you should give Fatdog a go.
Attachments
vlc-chapters.jpg
VLC showing chapters.
(77 KiB) Downloaded 520 times

Billtoo

#69 Post by Billtoo »

smokey01 wrote:pelo this is VLC-2.2.2 running in Fatdog64-710. As you can see it displays chapters and titles on a DVD. If you have a 64bit computer maybe you should give Fatdog a go.
It does in slacko-632 as well, with the correct dependencies installed.
Attachments
vlcchapters.jpg
(69.78 KiB) Downloaded 512 times

Pelo

merci Biltoo for information about Chapters.

#70 Post by Pelo »

merci Biltoo and smockey01 for information about Chapters.
About Fatdog 64, it was tested, but i prefer Puppy, easier to use. I hope my opinion will not cause personnal attacks again ! :?
A description of fatdog by pelo was available on You Tube (description, no opinion). Deleted because lot of tutos fatdog are yet available, and that is nice. If our Puppy Screencasters could do some How-to, please, because for french videos are easier to understand,
I really Like Puppy Linux, as passenger, i never liked programming. Further more i was judged bad by tests

I regret a lot Smockey01, his pets are useful and will be still usefull a long time.
My Thougt : Puppy does not need 64 bits. I have no software which need PAE or great speed. But that is to be discussed elsewhere.
Attachments
FatDog.jpg
Tuto Fatdog by ... Gnome Mplayer (sorry...)
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 489 times

Pelo

VLC 2.2.2 Weather Wax

#71 Post by Pelo »

VLC 2.2.2 Weather Wax included in :
puppy_xenial_7.0.1 Lxup > DVD, full and Chapters OK , just select with the mouse.

mcewanw

#72 Post by mcewanw »

jlst wrote: Well, mplayer does have basically everything, but when you test it with various graphics cards, you're more likely to encounter issues, but mplayer will still play vids.

I have a script to rip DVD subtitles with mplayer... it's also used in scripts to play radio stations, etc... so i don't think it's a good idea to replace mplayer as the default media player in Puppy, unless it's replaced by mpv hehe..

If there is a problem with mplayer, one should upgrade..
I agree.

I've certainly used VLC often, previously in Windows as well as sometimes in Linux, and it has generally worked fine for me on these past occasions. But I also feel that mplayer is a better default for Puppy, and also noted today how important mplayer is to getting the most out of mhwaveedit in terms of not just handling format wav:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108071

I've never really had any problems with mplayer and find it easy to control even via the commandline keys, and it is not particularly resource greedy and works well for Internet radio streams too. For several of these reasons I find it painful to use any system which doesn't include it but I also find it painful to have to install mplayer when vlc is already present. I just want mplayer (and ffmpeg and I wish I could avoid QT when gtk+ is already on the system, but QT is becoming difficult to avoid since several common video editors now rely on it... pity).

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

vlc in menu it loads and disappears in a second

#73 Post by Pelo »

Wert : tahrpup 6.0.2 updated. When I click vlc in menu it loads and disappears in a second Mike Walsh suggest vlc-2.1.0-i686-nodeps-s14.sfs from Smokey01 mediastores. 13MB.
I suppose that all people are not concerned.

Mplayer satisfied most of us using music, videos, audio not only as watching but also creating, because it's our hobby. I have no shame coming back to Precise Puppies.

Pelo

VLC 214 wiith Italian X-upup

#74 Post by Pelo »

VLC 214 wiith Italian X-upup My video MP4 played.
I began to believe my video had a bug, because not played by VLC.. But version 2.1.4 does it. Strange, mais tant mieux

Pelo

Audio : what are the default settings : alsa, or pulse ?

#75 Post by Pelo »

Audio : what are the default settings : alsa, or pulse ?
Mp3 no sound. VLC 2.1.4 x-upup tahr 6.0.2 (italian version)..
Nota : i run some Puppy Linux versions only for language (Spanish, italian, but not magyar, too much difficult)
Attachments
MP3.jpg
audio, there are so many choices listed.. Which one is the good ?
(43.24 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

Pelo

VLC web plugin

#76 Post by Pelo »

VLC web plugin : always activated in many tarhpup delivered with VLC.
It should run VLC to play Music, i suppose.
Who practiced With this plugin ?
Attachments
VLC WEB.jpg
Launches well VLC , but VLC don't play the song...
(27.55 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
VLC in Palemoon.png
X-upup Tahr Italia
(92.19 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

preferences : browser use your VLC

#77 Post by Pelo »

replace VLC web player by defaulmediaplayer will launch your installed VLC
MP3 choose MPGA files is MP3 not in the list

xyz

gtk-youtube-viewer

#78 Post by xyz »

gtk-youtube-viewer opens VLC when is default video player in a Puppy. That is well.

hamoudoudou

VLC public Help desk

#79 Post by hamoudoudou »

To contact us by e-mail, please use videolan@videolan.org and write in French, German or English.
Remember, we are a volunteer non-profit organisation, and we do not offer jobs and cannot sponsor third party events.
Postal Address
VideoLAN
18, rue Charcot
75013 Paris
France
Don't hesitateto feed back to developers, that is what allows them to really improve their products.
Same with Abisource (Abiword) Lazpaint, ...

xyz

version 3.0.1 check your packages and download, easy no ?

#80 Post by xyz »

version 3.0.1 check your packages and download, easy no ?
But it does not work ! Dpup stretch users Should succeed with VLC compiled for Them.
Attachments
Bionic.jpg
A puppy package would be nice..
(72.88 KiB) Downloaded 221 times