JL64-704 Slackware-14.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dry Falls

gtkrc

#196 Post by Dry Falls »

trimmed .xinitrc a bit. fixed lx-appearance compatibility - gtk changes made via lx-appearance will persist between DE changes.

edit: sorry, error. reupload.

df
Attachments
lx-gtk-3.pet
(4.64 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

corvus

#197 Post by corvus »

eztuxer wrote:Posting from JLH 64.
I made a .txt file with the email...
More precisely, the support of the "alt gr" key & the up down left right arrows is dead.
Will try to swap /etc/keymap config file with that from FD
The same here with Italian keyboard layout, anyway a wonderful Puppy derivative. Thanks Dry Falls for the huge work.
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

Dry Falls

#198 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi Corvus, and thanks. As to the keyboard layout, I made a new Italiano pupsave setting country and keyboard from the firstrun dialog. Everything worked fine. For some reason, if you do it later (from menu | personalize settings or setup) it fails to write to xorg.conf. In that case, copy the following to /etc/xorg.conf (which should be blank as xorg server no longer uses it but WILL read from it):

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "it" #xkeymap0
EndSection
(change "XkbModel" to whatever is appropriate)

for a language pack, there are many available from slackware with gslapt (if you're running kde), in your case, kde-l10n-it-4.14.3-noarch-1.txz.

Unfortunately, the puppy language pack available through PPM is limited in its usefulness, and then fixmenus wrecks it. Something I need to work on.

Unfortunately as well, /usr/local/apps/XkbConfigurationManager is the same as in woof-CE and depends on keyboard written to xorg.conf. I'm in the process of rewriting ~/root/xinitrc. Hopefully this will be fixed for the next release.

df

corvus

keyboard layout issue

#199 Post by corvus »

Hi Dry Falls, I'm posting from JL64 right now. I followed your suggestions but no success, it is not only "alt gr" key issue but the problem afflicts many of the keys located on the right side of the keyboard:
- "alt gr" acts as "enter";
- "stamp r sist" acts as "canc";
- "canc" does not work;
- "pagup" acts as "/";
- "up" "down" "left" and "right" keys doesn't works, and other keys work in the wrong way.
I tried differents keyboard layout and differents keyboard settings via Countrywizard but nothing to do.
The problem is not hardware related because I use also Fatdog710, Slacko64 6.3.2, Tahr64 6.0.6 and other distrò and haven't issues, not with keyboard. :lol:
I'll continue to experiment but I believe that the solution is beyond my knowledge.

Best regards :)
[b]We are waves of the same sea, leaves of the same tree, flowers of the same garden.[/b]

Dry Falls

keymaps

#200 Post by Dry Falls »

I believe I've found the problem. Keymaps (in /lib as well as in initrd.xz) are still from 2011, from lh64-602. here are keymaps from fatdog 710 (extract and drop into /lib, replacing old files):

Worth testing anyway...
Attachments
keymaps.tar.gz
(35.47 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

corvus

#201 Post by corvus »

I'm sorry Dry Falls, but even changing the folder does not change anything. :(

corvus

#202 Post by corvus »

Hi Dry Falls, I tried several versions of Just-lighthouse and I found it one in which my keyboard work OOTB downloaded from the following link: http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... 64-603.iso.
I tried to replace the folder /lib/keymaps of JL64-702 Slackware-14.2 with that of 150816-JL64-603 but did not work.
Hope this helps.

Dry Falls

#203 Post by Dry Falls »

Corvus, I was wondering if you have an older box or laptop? I was thinking it must be a kernel/firmware issue or syntax in the .xinitrc script. Have you tried the firmware sfs addon? How about k4.1.11 kernel package? It's true that slackware64-14.2 is substantially different than 14.1 and its earlier xorg server (in JL64-603 & 604), but I suspect the error is mine. I really appreciate your help with this. Hopefully we'll find the culprit and fix it.

Here is the current .xinitrc I'm using. Maybe that will have an effect.

df
Attachments
.xinitrc.gz
(9.06 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

corvus

#204 Post by corvus »

Dry Falls wrote:Corvus, I was wondering if you have an older box or laptop?
Sorry for the lack of information, here is my inxi output:
System: Kernel: 4.1.3-JL-64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Openbox 3.5.0
Machine: System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X555LB version: 1.0 Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X555LB version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: X555LB.204 date: 01/13/2015
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i7-5500U CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9586.74 Clock Speeds: 1: 2400.375 MHz 2: 2400.281 MHz 3: 2497.125 MHz 4: 2400.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Device 1616 bus-ID: 00:02.0 X.org: 1.12.3 drivers: vesa,fbdev (unloaded: intel) tty size: 124x24
Audio: Card-1: Intel Device 160c driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0 Sound: ALSA ver: k4.1.3-JL-64 Card-2: Intel Device 9ca0 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0 IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> Card-2: Atheros Device 0036 driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0 IF: wlp3s0 state: up
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2016.3GB (1.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB 2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: SanDisk_Ultra size: 15.9GB
Dry Falls wrote:I was thinking it must be a kernel/firmware issue or syntax in the .xinitrc script. Have you tried the firmware sfs addon?
Tried your .xinitrc script and the firmware sfs addon no success.

I have tried several JL64 versions and noticed that Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.8 is the last version on which my keyboard is working properly, from Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.8.2 up to JL64-702 my keyboard does not work in the correct mode.

corvus

Dry Falls

k4.1.3

#205 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi Corvus. Just to humor me, could you try this kernel package with JL64-702.sfs (plus minimally, 2_gvfs and python-2.7 addons)? It is identical to your JL64-603 which works except for distrospecs and BOOTCONFIG files. It's an older kernel configuration and older yet busybox. Anyway, this test, if it still doesn't work for you, will rule out the kernel and initrd as the root of the problem...

k4.1.3.tar.gz

thanks,
df

corvus

#206 Post by corvus »

Tried, unfortunately my keyboard does not work properly, you can rule out the kernel and initrd as the root of the problem.

corvus

Dry Falls

#207 Post by Dry Falls »

Corvus, did you try boot parameter "pkeys=it"? May be a timing problem. Otherwise, log out and at prompt, type xorgwiz-auto or xorgwiz-vintage (either of these set up the system for, and then call xorgwizard). If that doesn't work, I think your keyboard just doesn't tolerate xorg-server-1.18.3+. I'm going to try and rebuild JL64-604 for older machines, but that is down the road. 603 was really a pre-alpha experiment and has much amiss. It's good to know that the 4.1 series kernel worked for you.

df

corvus

Fully functional keyboard

#208 Post by corvus »

Dry Falls wrote:Corvus, did you try boot parameter "pkeys=it"?
This did the trick I'm very happy Thanks. :D What changes if you specify the keyboard layout in the boot parameter instead of the quick setup settings?
Anyway Thanks again Dry Falls for the time you have dedicated to the resolution of my problem.

corvus

Dry Falls

Just-Lighthouse64-702rc2

#209 Post by Dry Falls »

Just-Lighthouse64-702rc2.delta.tar.gz Delta uploaded

see O/P

df

Dry Falls

#210 Post by Dry Falls »

JL64-702.iso
md5sum: a1cef0bf845eef23d22ac44908a20733

see op

df

icake

jl64-702 language pets

#211 Post by icake »

I have created 6 half-Chinese language pets and 2 Chinese language pets for jl64-702 and they are now available for public sharing. For details please see here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=405

stemsee

#212 Post by stemsee »

Hi DryFalls

Have you added save directory loading to the initrd by chance? Maybe consider adding it. Save me some work lol.

stemsee

eztuxer

#213 Post by eztuxer »

Hi dryfalls !

Same problem with alt gr key keyboard over here with azerty be latin 1 belgian keyboard.
I can't remember how to access boot parameter to try to input "pkeys=be", it's been too long ago since I used it last.
Also last versions do not detect my pci and usb wifi hardware.
Last I tried I was able to use a save file on USB stick.
Booting works fine.
On Fat House latest iso booting is dead, but before last updates everything worked fine; keyboard, sound card, wifi, etc... but no save file. :-(
So what is needed is once again a blend of LH & FH :-)
The best of both worlds in one package.
I am really missing Puppy since I had to switch to 64 bit, so far nothing is working for my Lenovo POS.
Except for Linux Mint and windblow$ 10 :-(

Thank you guys for all the work, it will work sometime soon.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Dry Falls

#214 Post by Dry Falls »

hey there eztuxer.
pkeys boot parameter goes after 'linux /vmlinuz' in grub2, or after 'append' in the others (syslinux, menu 1st, etc). Also, you might want to run with 5_JL64-702-8.sfs which has extra kbd utilities, including salix tools 'keyboardsetup' you can run from console or gtk wizard from menu. Also, the enlightenment DE runs a different setup/configuration altogether at the first time you run it. Might be worth a try. Meanwhile, here is a package with extra keymaps from fatdog 710...

@Stemsee, I fiddled some with save to directory in the init script, but usually ended up breaking it. As far as I have experienced, the only stable/trouble-free save-to-folder is in fatdog. Lighthouse has always had save-to-partition, quirky style, as an option. It is very well with flash media. A step short of full install. And contrary to what some have said, you can have multiple save-files on the same partition. With two or more (real or dummy) save files, select 0 at prompt and you will boot into pupmode 6 or 7.

df
Attachments
kbd-keymaps-fd1.txz.fake.gz
(19.01 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

Dry Falls

sfs-update

#215 Post by Dry Falls »

new host for JL64-update (sfs-update) package list. Click to unzip attached file and drop into /usr/sbin (replaces existing script)...
Attachments
sfs-update.gz
(11.75 KiB) Downloaded 180 times