JL64-704 Slackware-14.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#61 Post by stemsee »

I changed nothing!

But is that a regular ramdisk, when/where does that get created? is it specified as a kernel argument?

stemsee

#62 Post by stemsee »

Hi Dry Falls

My scripts need much newer version of yad, jlh currently has version 18! Here is version 37 for 64bit.

Also after running xorgwizard a couple of times ~/.flsynclient config file either disappeared or had permissions changed and wouldn't load until I put in ~/Startup a file with contents

Code: Select all

flsynclient --set
Attachments
YAD-37.0-64.tar.gz
(73.23 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

Dry Falls

#63 Post by Dry Falls »

But is that a regular ramdisk, when/where does that get created? is it specified as a kernel argument?
I believe it is created by init. The file system residing in ram (base is loaded to ram by default - change with pfix=nocopy). Can't figure why it wouldn't show up in the dialog box.

Thanks for yad! Still alot of old stuff in there. On that topic, don't upgrade zenity (the old binary works with the new package (in mate) but the new one breaks all of Tazoc's scripts which call for it.

New 1_profile uploaded to gdrive (160K). Contains updated pets (supersedes the old ones). Latest iso is still Just-Lighthouse64-700.lt.iso.

df

ps, shouldn't need xorgwizard except for emergencies. From command-line, xorgsetup or if that doesn't work, xorg-automatic or xorg-vintage.

stemsee

#64 Post by stemsee »

There is another bug in there somewhere. I use UK keyboard. When I use the mouse/keyboard wizard to change to UK layout it works fine. But after restarting X r reboot it reverts to US layout. Which file stores this value?

cheers
stemsee

gcmartin

#65 Post by gcmartin »

Firewallstate keeps popping up using cpu-cycles in Conky window even though I have turned it off and requested removal via right-click on taskbar icon.

System is pristine, excepting for a SeaMonkey install via GSlap

Anyone else seeing this behavior.

Dry Falls

#66 Post by Dry Falls »

@Stemsee: From lighthouse look & feel (setup icon in ~/Desktop), or wizardwizard mouse/keyboard... pick uk
changes written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "gb" #xkeymap0
EndSection
and /etc/keymap

uk
Save Session

This persisted for me rebooting. I presume you chose locale at firstrun/Personalise Settings. That is written to /etc/profile (see line 101)

@gcmartin: rightclick firewall icon and choose 'Firewall/on/off/remove'
click 'off'
icon turns red.

then go to ~/Startup and drag firewallstaterun to ~/Startup/DisabledItems

If this doesn't persist across boots, go to /etc.rc.d/rc.local and comment out

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi
Also remember that when you make system changes, you should at least restart X

Seamonkey sfs is at gdrive, by the way.

gcmartin

#67 Post by gcmartin »

Recap: I had right-clicked to get icon's menu where I select Firewall On/Off/Remove.
  • First, I chose to Firewall-off where it turns icon Red on taskbar.
  • Then I chose Firewall-Remove.
    Note: The taskbar icon remains (in prior versions/PUPs, it disappeared from the taskbar)
If I understand, correctly, you suggest that a desktop restart is required to have all traces of firewallstate out of the active system. But, upon my restarting X desktop, the process firewallstate continues in the system (The taskbar icon is no longer visable now). Conky's process list still shows it using about 0.51%.

This is a DVD pristine boot and not rebooted/session-save at this point in time on this X2 desktop.

Not a show-stopper, though.

Update: Exiting desktop to the prompt and running top, I cannot find "firewallstart", yet on each subsequent restart it shows up. Thus it is buried in the restart desktop procedures somewhere; ignoring the "removal" that was selected.

So, I exited the desktop again; Ctrl-Alt-F3 to another virtual terminal and restated the desktop from there. Observed the firewallstate in Conky again. I jumped to the 1st virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) where top is running and now I can see the firewallstate. This time I "killed" the process and return to view Conky. It is now REMOVED.

Hope this clarifies what have been observed. This may be considered a bug.

Dry Falls

#68 Post by Dry Falls »

@ gc, What can I say? I just did this 4 times (once in ram - new session). All you really need to do is rightclick the bottom 'quit & exit) and look under the bonnet (whoops - still in UK speech), that is, lxtask or the like and voila! no entry for firewall. Before you restart...
I wrote:then go to ~/Startup and drag firewallstaterun to ~/Startup/DisabledItems
. Rebooted three times and no firewall.

df

stemsee

#69 Post by stemsee »

All files had the correct entries for uk keyboard but still '@' and '"' were reversed until 'uk' re-selected using mouse/keyboard wizard. So there must be something else maybe in /var if not /tmp or /run.

Dry Falls

#70 Post by Dry Falls »

l '@' and '"' were reversed until 'uk' re-selected using mouse/keyboard wizard. So there must be something else maybe in /var if not /tmp or /run.
I've noticed other things behaving this way, for example, pulse audio settings need to be reset across several boots till it settles down. I also understand that, despite what's in the script, snapmergepuppy disregards var and tmp altogether when first making the save file. There's also the fact that I have the old consolekit, It works, but not like consolekit2 is supposed to (it downright refuses if logged in as root) so there are also some permission issues. Slackware64-14.2 may be 'stable' now, but puppylinux running it is still experimental. Peebee's provisos apply even more-so with Just-Lighthouse.

df

stemsee

#71 Post by stemsee »

So, I will try to come up with a config file that gets applied from ~/Startup. Might take some time to figure out the commandline codes!!

ally

#72 Post by ally »

has the same problem in slacko 6.3

changed 'gb' to 'uk' in xbd/layouts and 'us' to 'uk' in xorg.conf.d

:)

stemsee

#73 Post by stemsee »

Hi ally

Do you mean changing 'gb' tp 'uk' was the solution?

ally

#74 Post by ally »

yes

I stumbled around in the dark after reporting on the slacko thread without success and struck gold, very pleased with myself I was too!

:)

Dry Falls

#75 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks also, ally.

here's a pet that might help (change made to ~/.xinitrc and /usr/sbin/countrywizardjs
also fix in /etc/profile which cleans up dialog box fonts.

Also, last YAD pet is fixed here.

df
Attachments
YAD-37.0-64.pet
(57.64 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Countrywizardjs.pet
(30.74 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Dry Falls

#76 Post by Dry Falls »

ps., Countrywizard pet doesn't change what is written to xorg.conf. That is done in /usr/lib64/locale. Maybe best to make a rule in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ or just copy ally's fix to xorg.conf (simplest solution.

stemsee

#77 Post by stemsee »

This doesn't work for my system. uk selection does not persist after X restart. I will just use the US layout!

Dry Falls

uk locale

#78 Post by Dry Falls »

OK I just reproduced the problem. With countrywizard pet built-in (w/remaster) and no sfs loaded (to be sure something wasn't missing), I started up ram - first run and selected UK locale in firstrun dialog box. Saved session and rebooted. Locale settings persisted, but when I entered ally's fix (which cures @ and "), resartX and reboot - save, keyboard reverts to default (en_us). Replaced uk with gb in xorg.conf and rebooted and uk keyboard settings returned ok. Apparently, the fix is restricted to the session you're in and restarting X starts a new session. And while puppy seems to understand the fix, xorg doesn't.

I'll try this a few more times to make sure and undo the change made to countrywizardjs and .xinitrd to be sure.

stemsee

#79 Post by stemsee »

I will simply add

setxkbmap gb
to a file in ~/Startup/ say kbdmap.sh

gcmartin

#80 Post by gcmartin »

Using the "Blank Complete" option for blanking a DVD+RW, I get this error no matter if its a full size DVD disc or a mini-DVD disc.

The problem does not occur if the "Fast Blank" option is selected.
Attachments
FULL Blanking DVDs ending with this error.png
Blank Complete ends with this error.
(199.04 KiB) Downloaded 389 times