USB flash drive boot... Kernel panic: (SOLVED...FIXED)

Booting, installing, newbie
sunburnt

USB flash drive boot... Kernel panic: (SOLVED...FIXED)

#1 Post by sunburnt »

I did the USB install from the Start Menu (SimplePuppy), it boots to: kernel panic.
I've search the forum & How To, I know this is a common problem, can't. test as PC freezes.

512 MB USB 2.0 flash drive, with vmlinuz, image.gz, usr_cram.fs, ldlinux.sys, syslinux.cfg files on it.

I'm thinking the module usb-storage isn't being loaded by the kernel... thoughts?

syslinux.cfg
=============
default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz
append PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=pupSAVE-none-262144 PKEYS=us

DOS boots just fine on it, but Linux's cfdisk has a problem with it, fdisk shows it as okay & bootable.

cfdisk starts with:
====================
FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 0: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder
Press any key to exit cfdisk
Last edited by sunburnt on Sat 02 Sep 2006, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

On my Thinkpad, which has no native USB boot capability in BIOS, the USB successes have been as follows:

Puppy 1: only when plugged into the rear USB 1.1 port, and only with pakt's WakePup 1.1C boot floppy.

Puppy 2: only when plugged into a USB 2 PCMCIA adapter, and only with pakt's WakePup2-02 boot floppy, and if Puppy 2.01r2 or lower then only with either Jesse or pakt's special initrd.gz.

If the computer has SATA or SCSI hard disks or a USB hub, I recall a thread with losl facing that problem having to do with Puppy 2. I don't know of anybody ever reporting it, let alone solve it, in Puppy 1.

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

It starts booting fine, then errors as stated...
It loads the kernel & then the image.gz file, the kernel ungzips it & begins booting.

I don't know what "Kernel panic: no init" is saying is wrong, it sounds like it can't find: /sbin/init

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

SUCCESS... I knew if I modified the: "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" file I could get it to boot.

I'm posting this from the 512MB USB flash drive, works nice!
SimplePuppy 3.0 or 3.1 is what I got working, if someone needs it, I can post the "image.gz" file.
I bypassed most of the rc.sysinit code (like I did for LanPuppy), & positively mounted the USB & files.

This follows my suggestion of separate rc.sysinit files for the different boot types.
Much like the rc.sysinit-hd & rc.sysinit-cd files, a rc.sysinit-usb file is needed.
This just makes it simpler to maintain & keep the different boot media types apart.
And the boot process would go slightly faster & be more reliable.

The various boot scripts could be maintained by those who are using that type of boot.

Béèm

#5 Post by Béèm »

[quote="Sit Heel Speak"]On my Thinkpad, which has no native USB boot capability in BIOS, the USB successes have been as follows:
/quote]
Which Thinkpad do you have?
I have a R40 and I see no boot possibility either.
Didn't think to use the rear USB port.

I have one anoying thing.
As well the trackpoint (little red thingy) as the other one (forgot the name) are operational.
I use the trackpoint, but sometimes I touch the other one and a lot of 'action' is sometimes created.
I haven't found a way to only make the trackpoint operational.

What about you?
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

Sit Heel Speak

Details of my Thinkpad

#6 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

[quote="B
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 02 Sep 2006, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm

#7 Post by Béèm »

Sit Heal Speak,
Thank you for the explanation. I'll keep it in a save place in case I'll try to boot from a USB device.

As for me, I don't like the touchpad (the word I was looking for) but I like the trackpoint very much.
Use it in XP and Puppy.
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

sunburnt

#8 Post by sunburnt »

Sit Heel Speak; Here's several boot files... Enjoy!
Attachments
boot-scripts.tar
If you need explanations or what ever... yell!
(60 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

sunburnt wrote:Sit Heel Speak; Here's several boot files... Enjoy!
Thanks!
(I asked sunburnt in a pm to send me these via email, he did, but my email box meanwhile got filled to capacity with spam).