Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 07:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages
Page 6 of 13 [185 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 07:20    Post subject:  

Morning, Peter.

That is quite an old version of Iron. I've shown it listed here in 'tahr-packages' at Ibiblio, which is where Quickpet draws its sources from:-

You'll see it's dated as July 2014.....2 1/2 years ago. Considering new versions of the parent browser, Chromium, are released on average every 6 weeks or so, you can guess how many versions out it is..!

As I said, Tahrpup won't be getting much more attention, nowadays. Quickpet is like a 'snapshot' of how it was when Phil Broughton first released it, and I doubt it will get any updating, since he's busy with other stuff. The 'bugfixes' will probably get attention, but that's all. You can, of course, keep the PPM up-to-date by re-updating the databases; use the little 'crossed spanners' button in the top-left corner of the PPM.

The newest version of Iron is 55; you can find the 32-bit SFS for it at OscarTalks' repo, here:-

https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn

It's also available as a .pet package, if you feel more comfortable with those. It runs quite happily with 32-bit Tahr; I use it myself without incident. FWIW, ignore the 'Not Secure' header on the Google search page; it's simply because Chrome itself doesn't release as a 32-bit version any longer, even though the 'clones' do, so Google now consider 32-bit to be insecure.

Nothing you should worry about; it still works A-OK. It's one of only a handful of pages that actually show as insecure. It's Google being 'over-the-top', as usual.

That little number indicator for Click'n'Clean simply shows the number of pages visited after you've installed it; it'll go as far as 100, then stop counting. You can disable it in the 'Options'. I do..!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to continue discussing Iron, I have no problem with that Smile , but can we do that in the appropriate Iron thread, please?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109063

...for 64-bit, or

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=105533

...for the 32-bit version. I feel we've 'gummed-up' this thread quite long enough with non-SlimJet-related stuff. It just gets confusing for anyone reading this thread in future, that's all..! If you want to discuss SlimJet, stay here, in this thread. OK?

Hope you don't mind..! Smile

Mike. Wink

comcoco

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 09:53    Post subject: Slimjet
Subject description: Slimjet update

Mike,

Thanks for the information. It is useful to me.

I will not post on this thread except regarding Slimjet.

I have one Slimjet question. What are Slimjet's advantages compared to Chromium or Iron. You have pointed our that it does not have Iron's capability to run streaming videos from Netflix or Amazon.

Peter
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:44    Post subject:  

Hi again, Peter.

Well, let's see. SlimJet is way more privacy-related than Chromium/Chrome. Iron is, too.....but it's all 'hard-coded' into Iron, so you can't do much in the way of changing things settings, config, etc (certainly no more than you can with Chrome itself.)

SlimJet's privacy stuff is all configurable in the settings, and you can set it up just how you want it. In addition to which, it's got what's called a 'Turbo-charged Downloader'. I've not tried this myself, but other reports indicate that it does speed up downloads considerably. I believe it downloads from multiple sources simultaneously, which is how it achieves this.

Those are SlimJet's main advantages over Chromium.....plus, of course, the fact that it'll run with older Pups than Chromium, because of the afore-mentioned 'glibc' issue. The only thing I don't like about it is a purely cosmetic one; a 'personal' view.

I just don't like the tabs! They remind me of pre-Australis interface FireFox (i.e., pre version 29 of FF.) And I'm not a FF fan, I'm afraid....

Personally, I have every intention of continuing to use Tahrpup until at least April 2019, which is when 'Trusty Tahr' 14.04 LTS will reach EOL. Until then, the repositories will remain accessible.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2017, 10:18    Post subject:  

*** NEW Version 13.0.0.0 'Beta' now available***

Morning, all.

The current version, 13.0.0.0, is now available for download. This is a 'beta' release. but so far seems totally stable. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 24.0.0.194.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet is also available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3so7h6rsgd32t/SlimJet_SFS_packages

As before, version 13 of SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch.

Enjoy. As usual, any probs, give me a shout.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 05:58; edited 3 times in total
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017, 07:38    Post subject:  

Hi ya Mike!

Hope all is well, and the health is good!

I just wanted to maybe suggest that you put a "*" (asterik) in the 1st or 2nd post of this thread to let people know that Slimjet will not work on a lot of older puppies. On page three of this thread, buried down at the bottom in reply you left to another, this "will not work in older puppies" is mentioned, but how many people are going to dig that far thru a thread?

For example, I went over to help a very frustrated friend last night trying to setup Slimjet in his CarolinaVanguard-Version2. He had tried downloading straight from the slimjet site, tried your pets and sfs, followed everything written in the 1st post of this thread, but nothing worked. So I did it again (manually, the way I have done it on many other, albeit 'newer', pups and pup-related distros), and I too fell into the trap of "what is heck is going on here? It's installed correctly...argh!' Then, I had to smack my forehead as the old glibc hit me, and sure enough, as I dug thru this thread, I found where you noted in that buried msg of page 3, to beware of the older glibc.

So, maybe just put an asterik in the first thread, tell people to run "ldd version" in the terminal (as shown in 1st pic below), and if it comes back with a glibc 2.20 or older, to forget running Slimjet. Saves them the headache of staring at things (like in the 2nd pic--note: it's screwed up, his earlier shot, where its just the cursor in the setuid and the no-sandbox is what I tried ) trying to understand why "flashpeak-slimjet" won't even execute/open (p.s. if I did brainfart and do something wrong, please throw some bricks this way) Wink):
CaroVgrd-terminal-run-ldd-version.png
 Description   
 Filesize   62.07 KB
 Viewed   396 Time(s)

CaroVgrd-terminal-run-ldd-version.png

Slimjet32bit-in-CarolinaVanguard32-bit.png
 Description   
 Filesize   190.72 KB
 Viewed   397 Time(s)

Slimjet32bit-in-CarolinaVanguard32-bit.png

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017, 07:53    Post subject:  

Hiya, belham2.

Yah, that's a good idea. I've meant to put in something to that effect a coupla times, actually, but I keep getting sidetracked..!!

I'll edit the appropriate posts now....while I think about it. Thanks for the reminder. Cheers!

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb 2017, 06:00    Post subject:  

*** NEW Version 13.0.3.0 'Stable' now available***

Morning, all.

The current version, 13.0.3.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 24.0.0.194.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet is also available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3so7h6rsgd32t/SlimJet_SFS_packages

As before, version 13 of SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch.

Enjoy. Any probs, you know where to find me.

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2017, 13:50    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

I am trying out SlimJet.... so far I like what I see! With the Tabs and AdBlock options built-in, that's two less extensions that I need.

It reports itself as Chrome, so the banks are happy!

Keep up the good work, and thanks for your efforts!

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2017, 16:47    Post subject:  

Hi, orrin.

Hmm... OK. Glad you like it!

I got put onto this and Iron (which I also re-package in 64-bit format) by OscarTalks. I've always liked the Chromium-based browsers, as you know.

However, this one is still based on Chromium 55. When SlimJet 14 is released, I expect it to have moved to Chromium 56 as its base. This is the one that's been giving all the trouble, of course. However, when I packaged Iron 56.0.2950.0 the other day, it too is responding favourably to the 'libpuppygc.so' workaround by our very own iguleder.

You might like to take a look at Iron at some point, and let me know if you're getting the same problems there as you've recently reported with Chrome 56. It's more closely based on Chromium than SlimJet; FlashPeak are at least employing some degree of customization, to their eternal credit.

It's worth bearing in mind that there is life outside of Chrome itself, y'know.....there's a whole bunch of Chromium-based browsers out there..! Laughing Laughing But, as you say, as far as the banks are concerned, it matters not a jot whether you're using Chrome, Chromium, SlimJet, Iron, Vivaldi, the new Opera.....to them, they're ALL 'Chrome'. After all, they're all using the same code-base, aren't they?

In addition to the above-mentioned, there's also Torch, Maxthon, Iridium, Comodo's 'Dragon' browser, RocketMelt (social network-focused), Yandex (from the Russian search engine giant), Cent, Sleipnir.....the list just goes on, and on. And on. And...

Well. I think you get the picture. It is worth trying out some of the alternatives; they all, without exception, work with your Google a/c. And some have some pretty nifty features.....as you're now discovering with SlimJet.

Go on; be daring. Live a little! Give the competition a go. You might just find something you like even better than Chrome...

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2017, 18:25    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Is there a way to prevent the 'Amazon' icon from appearing on the toolbar whenever the site is accessed?
I can get rid of it with the "Customize Toolbar" options but can't delete it entirely from the left column of that option.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2017, 19:07    Post subject:  

Hi, orrin.

Unfortunately, no; that's one of FlashPeak's 'concessions' to the modern internet shopping society! They take it for granted that once you've accessed Amazon, you'll want to keep on returning.....so the icon is there for your 'convenience'! Rolling Eyes

(Yes, it niggles me, too.....but it's a small niggle, compared to my own, personal major one. Which is that FlashPeak, in their wisdom, have decided not to implement the H.264 codec.....meaning I can't watch NetFlix when I want to. So for that alone, it's back to Chrome or Iron; no biggie, really, seeing as how I run all three of 'em!)

It's like all the other stuff that's already on the Bookmarks bar before you sign in.....before I realised it, I had 3 copies of all that was there, implemented each time I'd set-up SlimJet on another Pup. Nowadays, I delete it all before I sign in..... Laughing

(In fact, the problem no longer rears its head, since I now run a single copy of each browser from a remote partition, sym-linked into each & every Pup exactly where Pup expects to find them. And a single copy of each of 32-bit & 64-bit PepperFlash, further sym-linked into each of the remote browsers at the appropriate places. Makes things a lot easier at upgrade time, I can tell you..!)

Apart from that, however, it's a darn good browser. I've even revised my earlier opinion, and now rather like the tabs; reminiscent of pre-'Australis' FireFox.....

Don't forget, for SlimJet & Iron, they don't auto-upgrade Pepper the way that Chrome does. So if Adobe update it before the next browser release, I also produce a series of PepperFlash .pets to keep on top of that chore. You can find 'em here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106409

Have fun!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 20:59; edited 1 time in total
orrin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb 2017, 22:40    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Hi, orrin.
Unfortunately, no; that's one of FlashPeak's 'concessions' to the modern internet shopping society! They take it for granted that once you've accessed Amazon, you'll want to keep on returning.....so the icon is there for your 'convenience'! Rolling Eyes

I found a way, and it seems to be working! I just moved the amazon (and a few other) icons from opt/slimjet/siteicons to another location.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb 2017, 07:58    Post subject:  

Ah! Thanks for the tip; I shall have to try that myself.

Cheers!

EDIT:- Yes, I see what you mean. If the icons aren't there, then SlimJet won't be able to pull them up. I guess, if you really wanted to, you could even add icons if there was a particular site you wanted to show.....although I wouldn't like to say exactly where the link method for 'icon per site' comes from.

No matter. That should continue to work, anyway. Good discovery!

Mike. Wink

orrin

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb 2017, 13:50    Post subject:  

I also discovered that removing one or two icons must disturb the process somewhere. Now NONE of the remaining icons work.... and that's OK with me.

Also if you DO want one or two of the icons, they can be added with the
'customize toolbar' option even thought the icon is missing in opt/slimjet/siteicons!

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar 2017, 20:58    Post subject:  

*** NEW Version 13.0.7.0 now available***

Evening, everybody.

The current release, 13.0.7.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 24.0.0.221.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm quitting the 32-bit versions as from this release. It's silly both Oscar and myself doing versions of the same thing.....so I'm going to leave Oscar to continue to do what he's so very good at doing, while I concentrate on the 64-bit releases.

Enjoy. As usual, any probs, you know where to find me.

Mike. Wink

Page 6 of 13 [185 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: