SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
comcoco

Slimjet

#61 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

I am sure that this is not what you expect. I did what you said as best I could follow. With your guidance it was so easy I did it a few more times.I always got this results:

root# /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet
bash: /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet: No such file or directory

Peter

Mike Walsh

#62 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Peter.

Mm. That's half what I did expect, TBH. I've had it happen to me before, even when downloading my own stuff from MediaFire!

Go to /mnt/home, right-click the SlimJet.sfs file, 'Properties', and tell me what you see.

What does 'Size' give you? It should be round the 59 MB mark.

Mike. :wink:

comcoco

Slimjet

#63 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

Properties gave a lot of information. I have made a screen shot of that window, but I do not know if it can be pasted to this post. It does not seem to let me copy it, so I can not paste it. Instead I am going to try to attach the screen shot file. I have no confidence it will transmit to you.

I see nothing note worthy to me, except that it is NOT marked to allow it to executed by the owner. This does not seem right, Is it? Can I change it, should I? Can I just go to Permissions and change it to execute? Its size is 59M.

Thanks for sticking with me!

Peter
Attachments
capture13644.png
(48.06 KiB) Downloaded 425 times

Mike Walsh

#64 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Peter.

Hmm. Well, that's exactly as it should be. I was expecting it to be showing as '0B' (zero bytes), indicating a bad download. So, let's try this:-

I'm currently uploading the SlimJet SFS file for Tahr64 to a short-term file-hosting site that's often used by Forum members. I'll give you the download link when it's done.

Go to /mnt/home. Left-click the 'SlimJet-12.0.14.0-amd64-tahr.sfs' file, and uninstall it. Then, delete it.

Now, this next bit may take some doing. You'll need to go into various parts of the file-system and make sure certain files are deleted. What we're going to do is a manual 'purge'. Think you can manage that?

Open ROX. Click on the 'Up' arrow at the left-hand end of the status bar. This will take you into the file-system. You'll need to:-

1) Go into '/opt'. Make sure the 'slimjet' directory has gone. Delete if necessary.
2) Go into '/root'. (This is the main ROX window when you open using the 'File' shortcut on the desktop). Click on the 'eye' icon. This will expose 'hidden' files/folders, which are prefaced with a '.'
3) Go into '/.cache'. Make sure the 'slimjet' folder is gone. Again, delete if necessary.
4) Go into '/.config'. Again, make sure there's no 'slimjet' folder.
5) Back to the ROX main window, and into the file-system again. Go into '/usr/bin'. Delete 'flashpeak-slimjet' if necessary.
6) Go into '/usr/share/applications.' Delete the 'Slimjet' entry'.
70 Go into '/usr/share/pixmaps'. Delete the SlimJet icon.

SlimJet should now be totally removed from the system.

Do a power-off. Unplug your computer, and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. This is known as a 'power-cycle', and it ensures that RAM is completely purged (discharges all the capacitors). Plug back in, and boot back into Tahr64.

Download Slimmie again from here:-

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/e5e3f81a

Go through the SFS install procedure again, and let me know what happens, please. Gotta go down town for a bit, but I'll be back later.

comcoco

Slimjet

#65 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

I am not sure I can do all that manual purge, but I will try. It will take me most of the day, because I am so slow and make so many mistakes. Also I have to be in town for much of my day.

The pressure to get Slimjet up and running is somewhat reduced because I have usse PPM to install a current version(Version 53.0.2785.143 Built on Ubuntu , running on (64-bit)) of Chromium, NOT Chrome. It is running much better and should take care of my immediate needs. My old version of Chrome was really hurting my ability to use the internet.

I still need and want Slimjet, especially on some of my 32 bit computers.

You are teaching me so much! Thank you!

Peter

Mike Walsh

#66 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Peter.

Ah! Good to hear you've got something sorted out. :lol:

Most of the Chromium-based browsers work pretty much along the same lines, anyway. If you want SlimJet on your 32-bit boxes, then don't forget you'll need the 32-bit version, obviously.....most often marked 'i386', though it can be labelled 'i486', 'i686', or even just 'x86'. They all refer to the same thing; I won't bore you with an explanation, since it's buried deep in the distant past of computing.....at least 35-40 years ago.

Suffice to say, it's all related to the original Intel 8086 chip.....and leave it at that!

Any further issues vis-a-vis Slimmie, drop by.....and we'll see what we can do.

I do also do the Iron browser.....which is yet another Chromium-based clone (better in some respects than SlimJet, since it will playback from streaming video sites like Hulu, NetFlix, etc). That's one thing SlimJet won't do, 'cos FlashPeak haven't coded-in the necessary support for them.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109063

These are the 64-bit packages. If you want 32-bit packages, you can get them from OscarTalks' repo, here:-

https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn

And BTW; don't worry about being slow, and making mistakes. I've been mucking about with these here boxes of electronic bit's'bobs for nearly 4 decades.....and I still make 'em!

comcoco

Slimjet

#67 Post by comcoco »

I got distracted away from trying establish Slimjet in my Tahr64. I still have not followed your instructions to remove and reinstall it.

I have actually been quite satisfied with Chromium. Please tell me about Chromium, Chrome, Slimjet, Iron, and any other similar Browser programs. I have read about each on the internet, but I am not sure which would be best for me. I have both 64 and 32 bit machines. What do I have to gain by not using Chromium 64 on my 64 bit machines and Chromium 32 on the 32 bit machines.

Actually I would prefer to have only one Puppy installation which I run on all my machines. This is what I used to do. It was easier to administer. When I made an important change, I would copy the entire boot USB memory stick for use on all the other machines. Now I need to keep separate sticks for the two types of bit machines. I make an effort to keep everything the same. For example, I found a low cost Brother laser multipurpose machine. It was torturous to install it, but when it was done, I could buy other identical Brother machines and they would work immediately when attached to any of my machines with a USB cable.

I would like to standardize on a single browser, or have several browsers installed on my common Puppy USB stick which could be switched easily. I do not like Pale Moon or any other browser which comes on Puppies. I would like to remove these browsers I do not like. The same is true about the Email program which comes with the Puppy. I use gmail as do on all my machines.

Your thinking would be welcome. I will get that uninstall-install job done in a while.

Peter

Mike Walsh

#68 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, again, Peter.

You know, you can have one single Puppy on all your machines! Just because you have a 64-bit machine, doesn't necessarily mean that you have to run a 64-bit Pup.

32-bit machines can only run 32-bit Pups.
64-bit machines will happily run either.

32-bit Tahr 6.05 would work perfectly well for all of them. I run a mixture of Pups on my Athlon 64 X2 dual-core.....both 32- and 64-bit. Without any problems.

You do also know that you can share one single printer between multiple Pups, right? That's one of the main strengths of the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS for short); its ability to share a single printer across a network. As long as you make the one machine your printer is connected to 'visible' across the network, then all your Pups will 'see' it, and be able to send print jobs to it.

Couldn't be simpler.

Now, then.

Browsers. OK. Chromium is the base from which all the others come. Google sponsor the Chromium Projects, which means they get first 'dibs' every time a new, stable version is released.

Chromium is always compiled using the newest version of the glibc (the 'C' library, around which all Linux distros are built). This, unfortunately, means that to use it, you have to be running the very newest distros, as often these are the only ones built using it, OK?

You cannot update the glibc easily. 99 times out of 100,you will break your OS in the process.

Google get around this. They take the Chromium source code, re-compile it against an older version of the glibc, add their proprietary bits'n'bobs to it, then re-release it as Chrome. However, Chrome is now only available as 64-bit, since Google dropped support for 32-bit back in April last year.

FlashPeak and SRWare do the exact same thing for SlimJet and Iron respectively; re-compile against an older glibc. This has the advantage of making their browsers available to a much wider slice of the public, since not everybody fanatically updates as soon as a new version of their OS is released.....indeed, very few do.

Tahrpup is already too 'old' to run the newest versions of Chromium, without some extremely tricky workarounds. But why bother, when there's all these other versions available which will work just the same, and allow you to use your Google a/c as normal?

It's a bit of a no-brainer, when it comes down to it!

comcoco

Slimjet

#69 Post by comcoco »

Wow, Mike!

I have learned more from your last few posts than I have in the years I have been using Puppy Linux. I have several questions?

I am considering going to 32 bit Puppy Linux for all my machines. It would make taking care of them much easier. What are the advantages I would lose on the 64 bit machine except being able to use an up to date Chromium family. Can that be over come using Slimjet or Iron?

What would be a good replacement for Tahr. I am old and do not want to have to learn a whole new way of working on my computers, and my colleagues are much worse. We just want to keep using the Puppy we know. Moving up to Tahr was a big traumatic experience for us.

I have shared printers on our network, but have quit doing this because I converted all our printers to a low cost black/white Brother Laser which prints on 2 sides, copies, enlarges, and scans and makes nice appearing pages. We buy them for about $150 from Amazon. We can get new toner cartridges and drums replacements for $10-15 each. The only thing I do not like about these printers (Brother MFC-L2700DW) is that they are hard to install on Linux Puppy. However once I got one installed It was easy to clone the whole USB memory stick using PUDD and use it on any machine with the same bit count connected to an identical printer. I have not been able to install it as network printer. If a printer were connected and installed on a machine with Puppy using a USB direct connection, could other Puppy machines on the network use it? These Brother printers are network printers which can supposedly connect to the network with WiFi . I have not ever been able to get the WiFi which is supposedly on my computers to be used by any Puppy Linux except on 4 laptops.

It sounds like I should switch to Slimjet or Iron to be able to use my 32 bit machines. Which should I use? Can I put them both on one machine and switch back and forth, maybe even have both running at the same time in different workspaces, just to try them out?

By the way, I use workspaces a great deal to organize what I do. I keep one reserved for the internet connection, etc. I do not like the way workspaces are configured on some Puppy distributions. I reject some for that reason alone. Tahr is OK, but I have seen and used Linux distributions that actually have tiny icons showing the programs running on the button for each workspace. I would like to find out how to do that on other distributions. Any ideas?

I ask for too much. You are so helpful! I really appreciate all you have taught me and helped me do. I have not yet deleted the old Slimjet, and installed it again, but I plan to soon, if I do not get distracted.

Peter

Mike Walsh

#70 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Peter.

Don't be daft, man. You're not asking for too much at all.....and you're never too old to learn.

I'm going to make a suggestion, here. What we should really do is split your questions up among the correct sections of the Forum. Not that I don't enjoy helping people - I do! - but that way, you'd have the advantage of replies from more than one person,

Briefly, though, I'll answer your queries in order:-

To my mind, you don't stand to lose anything by sticking with the 32-bit Pups. They run like lightning, given a decent amount of RAM & a decent CPU.

Yes, you can stay up-to-date with your browser by using either SlimJet or Iron. They're both identical to Chrome, so if that's what you're used to, you'll have no problems with them.

No reason at all why you can't install both to one machine and try them out on different workspaces. I run Chrome, Chromium, SlimJet and Iron on all of my Pups, 32- and 64-bit alike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your printer, yes; as long as the printer is correctly configured, set-up, and working over a USB connection to one machine, then you should be able to share it across the network. You don't bother with the Brother's built-in wifi network sharing; no need for it.

CUPS has a built-in sharing function. The machine with the printer connected is essentially the 'print server', publicises it's MAC address across the network so other machines can see it, and makes itself available for print jobs.

Go into your browser, and access the CUPS interface by typing in 'localhost:631', as though you were going to install a printer. Now; click on the 'Administration' tab. On the right-hand side, under the Server column, tick the check-box for 'Share printers connected to this system'. Then, click on the 'Change settings' button.

The server will now restart. Now, go to one of the machines not connected to the printer (i.e. a 'client' machine), and set up a document ready for printing. If you now go to print it, you should see the Brother printer showing up in the available printers; it'll show as something like 'xxxxxxxxxxx @ 192.168.xx.xx', or whatever the server's local network address happens to be. If you select it, and 'Print', all things being equal, it should print out on the Brother from whichever machine you've used.

And that, as they say, is how you do it.(Well, that's how it's supposed to work... :lol: )

Let me know how ya get on, please. If that doesn't work, there's another Puppy app we can try, developed by our printer guru, rcrsn51. I helped him to trial it, so I know it works.

comcoco

Slimjet

#71 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

I have decided to try using a 32 bit version of Puppy on all my machines. I need to set up one first, with everything we need downloaded and configured on a USB stick. This will include Chromium, Slipjet, and Iron. Then I will clone that stick drive, using Pudd, for use on all the other computers. Does this sound sensible to you?

We have been pretty satisfied with Puppy Tahr. Is there some better version you might suggest?

I do not seem to be able upgrade Puppy Tahr when newer versions come out. Using the upgrade tool in QuickPets does not seem to work for me. Can you direct me to instructions on how to do that.

When I followed you instruction on sharing a printer it did not work. The only thing I could not do was tick the check-box for "Save printers connected to this system" because it was already ticked as were all the other boxes in that window (see attachment). It would be a very nice advantage to be able to use a printer from all the other Puppy machines on my system. Maybe I do not really have a network (system). All I do is connect each machine to the router using a LAN cable (or WiFi with laptops). I would really like to be able to share files between machines on the router which I have not ever been able to set up to do.

I told you how primitive my computer skills are. By the way, your tip on copy / paste on the terminal by using the middle mouse wheel to paste has been great. It saves typing errors and time. I am not sure what to do when I see terminal code containing more than one line. Do I have to copy and run each line separately? Also sometimes I must be copying an unseen RETURN at the end of a line, because as soon as I paste it into the terminal, it is executed. This is sometimes OK, but sometimes the line needs to be edited before it is run.

I would be glad to split my questions to other sections of the forum. I do not know how to find them.

Thanks, Mike!

Peter
Attachments
capture10969.png
(58.34 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Mike Walsh

#72 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Peter.

I seriously doubt there will be many more updates for Tahrpup. Its developer is more concerned with developing newer Pups by now, AFAIK. Since Ubuntu 'Trusty Tahr' came out, there have been no fewer than 5 versions released. From 'T', we're now up to 'Y'.....'Yakkety Yak'.

If you tried doing the 'Share printers' server restart thing in Tahr 64, then no; it won't work. In some respects (including that one) the version of CUPS that Tahr64 employs is broken. That's why the p910nd printserver got developed.

If you do that with the 32-bit Tahrs. however, it should work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you look at the top or bottom of each page, just above the first post, or just below the last post, on the left-hand side, click on 'Forum Index'. Choose which section you think your subject would best fit in, go to that section by clicking on it, then at the top left, 'New Topic' (and make sure to fill in the subject line!)

Easy peasy.

comcoco

Slimjet

#73 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

Please give me the benefit of your wisdom. I have started to set up a 32 bit Puppy installation on USB sticks. I have both a Tahr and a separate Slacko installed on separate USB sticks to see which works the best for me. You indicated that Tahr is getting pretty old. What about Slacko? Maybe it is even older. Is there another Puppy I should consider?

I am having a particular problem with Iron on Tahr. I have not yet tried it on Slacko. It seems to work well except that it will not work on the Google programs--gmail and google calendar on which I depend. Every time I open one of these in a tab, it loads well for a minute or so and then gives the Snap Page--see the attachment. Do you know what this is, and how to fix it? I have encountered this occasionally with Chrome. This was a main factor in my setting upon the project of updating my Puppies and their Browsers.

The Iron version is: Version 25.0.1400.0 Puppy Linux (187217). I am really only seeing this on my original installation of Puppy Tahr where I run Chrome. I just wanted to try Iron there before installing on an updated and cleaner Puppy Tahr. I did not want to mess up the newer installation memory stick unless I liked Iron. Iron seems to run other websites properly, but always loads and then fails with the google applications.

Thanks, Mike!

Peter
Attachments
capture11259.png
(127 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

Mike Walsh

#74 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Peter.
comcoco wrote:Mike,

Please give me the benefit of your wisdom.
*cough* You sure you ain't getting me muddled up with some other guy.....like one who actually knows what he's doing? (*Jeez, Louise...*) :lol:

I'm a bumbler, mate! I fiddle around, messing about with things, playing around with first one thing then another, and occasionally manage to gobsmack myself when something decides to behave itself and actually work...!! :roll:

As far as I'm concerned, anything I manage to get running is more by luck than any amount of sound judgement. Seriously!

"...wisdom..." Ah, me; that's the best laugh I've had for ages. (*giggles*)

Dearie me.

The age of your Pup has got absolutely nothing to do with how 'fit for purpose' it is; as long as it'll run everything you need it to, there's little need to update. Main reasons for updating are hardware reasons; you need a newer kernel version in order to have the necessary drivers for newer hardware.

Where in the name of all that's holy did you manage to dig up such an ancient version of Iron from..?? (*Wow.....*) The oldest version I've ever used myself was around version 11 or 12, it's true.....but that was in SliTaZ 4.0, which was released something like 6 or 7 years ago. You think Pup's awkward, try getting SliTaZ up-and-running; that'll give anybody a headache, I tell you!

I've never fully understood the cause of the 'Aw, snap!' page, but it's something to do with pages refusing to load properly. It's been on the increase in recent versions of the Chromium-based browsers; Chrome, Chromium, SlimJet, Iron.....they all suffer with it, to a greater or lesser extent.

Have a look at this page from gHacks. It explains quite a lot about it, and has several suggestions for fixing the problem:-

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/05/23/how-to ... -websites/

I have an idea that regular clearing-out of the cache probably helps; the browsers store an awful lot of short-term crap in there.....most of which I haven't got a clue what it's used for.

I've been using this extension, called Click'n'Clean, for a while now, and regularly clear out the cache and browser history. Seems to help.....

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... beod?hl=en

You may find it helps. The only downside is that it has to be done manually; it's best to use it to shut the browser down securely. It clears all the caches & history'n'stuff out as it does so.

Mind you, from the looks of your inbox I'm not surprised it crashes. Nearly 2000 unread emails? Even if they're read, the metadata still has to be loaded every time. You do use IMAP, I hope.....surely not POP???

comcoco

Slimjet

#75 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought the 25.xxxx version of Iron was new. I think I installed it recently using Quickpet. Quickpet does not show the version before it is installed.

I read the website on fixing Snaps. I probably can not get much from it.

I also downloaded Clean'n'Click. It put a little red button with a C on the upper right corner of my Chrome Browser page. I tried to run some of the items you suggested. Now that little red button has a 10 imposed on it. It seems to have cleared some things. I noticed that when I started writing this message, I lost the default Subject, etc. I am not clear how to use the C n C. I clicked the button, then clicked a few of the buttons provided, like clearing history, and then pressed shut down the browser securely. Does this sound like the way to use it?

I know I have almost 2000 emails. All of them are read. I love email. I often search for old emails, sometimes looking for something several years old. I hate to lose them because they are a nice source of information. Maybe this a fault of mine, but I only retain emails I think I may want later. I do not use any social media--Facebook, etc. I would, for example prefer to communicate with you by email, not for privacy, rather for convenience.

I do not know if I use IMAP or POP. I only recall setting up POP many years ago, probably on Windows machines, maybe even before gmail. How can I know?

Peter

Mike Walsh

#76 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Peter.

That is quite an old version of Iron. I've shown it listed here in 'tahr-packages' at Ibiblio, which is where Quickpet draws its sources from:-

You'll see it's dated as July 2014.....2 1/2 years ago. Considering new versions of the parent browser, Chromium, are released on average every 6 weeks or so, you can guess how many versions out it is..!

As I said, Tahrpup won't be getting much more attention, nowadays. Quickpet is like a 'snapshot' of how it was when Phil Broughton first released it, and I doubt it will get any updating, since he's busy with other stuff. The 'bugfixes' will probably get attention, but that's all. You can, of course, keep the PPM up-to-date by re-updating the databases; use the little 'crossed spanners' button in the top-left corner of the PPM.

The newest version of Iron is 55; you can find the 32-bit SFS for it at OscarTalks' repo, here:-

https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn

It's also available as a .pet package, if you feel more comfortable with those. It runs quite happily with 32-bit Tahr; I use it myself without incident. FWIW, ignore the 'Not Secure' header on the Google search page; it's simply because Chrome itself doesn't release as a 32-bit version any longer, even though the 'clones' do, so Google now consider 32-bit to be insecure.

Nothing you should worry about; it still works A-OK. It's one of only a handful of pages that actually show as insecure. It's Google being 'over-the-top', as usual.

That little number indicator for Click'n'Clean simply shows the number of pages visited after you've installed it; it'll go as far as 100, then stop counting. You can disable it in the 'Options'. I do..!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to continue discussing Iron, I have no problem with that :) , but can we do that in the appropriate Iron thread, please?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109063

...for 64-bit, or

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=105533

...for the 32-bit version. I feel we've 'gummed-up' this thread quite long enough with non-SlimJet-related stuff. It just gets confusing for anyone reading this thread in future, that's all..! If you want to discuss SlimJet, stay here, in this thread. OK?

Hope you don't mind..! :)

comcoco

Slimjet

#77 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

Thanks for the information. It is useful to me.

I will not post on this thread except regarding Slimjet.

I have one Slimjet question. What are Slimjet's advantages compared to Chromium or Iron. You have pointed our that it does not have Iron's capability to run streaming videos from Netflix or Amazon.

Peter

Mike Walsh

#78 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Peter.

Well, let's see. SlimJet is way more privacy-related than Chromium/Chrome. Iron is, too.....but it's all 'hard-coded' into Iron, so you can't do much in the way of changing things settings, config, etc (certainly no more than you can with Chrome itself.)

SlimJet's privacy stuff is all configurable in the settings, and you can set it up just how you want it. In addition to which, it's got what's called a 'Turbo-charged Downloader'. I've not tried this myself, but other reports indicate that it does speed up downloads considerably. I believe it downloads from multiple sources simultaneously, which is how it achieves this.

Those are SlimJet's main advantages over Chromium.....plus, of course, the fact that it'll run with older Pups than Chromium, because of the afore-mentioned 'glibc' issue. The only thing I don't like about it is a purely cosmetic one; a 'personal' view.

I just don't like the tabs! They remind me of pre-Australis interface FireFox (i.e., pre version 29 of FF.) And I'm not a FF fan, I'm afraid....

Personally, I have every intention of continuing to use Tahrpup until at least April 2019, which is when 'Trusty Tahr' 14.04 LTS will reach EOL. Until then, the repositories will remain accessible.

Mike Walsh

#79 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 13.0.0.0 'Beta' now available***

Morning, all.

The current version, 13.0.0.0, is now available for download. This is a 'beta' release. but so far seems totally stable. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 24.0.0.194.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet is also available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3so7h6 ... S_packages

As before, version 13 of SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch.

Enjoy. As usual, any probs, give me a shout.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 09:58, edited 3 times in total.

belham2

#80 Post by belham2 »

Hi ya Mike!

Hope all is well, and the health is good!

I just wanted to maybe suggest that you put a "*" (asterik) in the 1st or 2nd post of this thread to let people know that Slimjet will not work on a lot of older puppies. On page three of this thread, buried down at the bottom in reply you left to another, this "will not work in older puppies" is mentioned, but how many people are going to dig that far thru a thread?

For example, I went over to help a very frustrated friend last night trying to setup Slimjet in his CarolinaVanguard-Version2. He had tried downloading straight from the slimjet site, tried your pets and sfs, followed everything written in the 1st post of this thread, but nothing worked. So I did it again (manually, the way I have done it on many other, albeit 'newer', pups and pup-related distros), and I too fell into the trap of "what is heck is going on here? It's installed correctly...argh!' Then, I had to smack my forehead as the old glibc hit me, and sure enough, as I dug thru this thread, I found where you noted in that buried msg of page 3, to beware of the older glibc.

So, maybe just put an asterik in the first thread, tell people to run "ldd version" in the terminal (as shown in 1st pic below), and if it comes back with a glibc 2.20 or older, to forget running Slimjet. Saves them the headache of staring at things (like in the 2nd pic--note: it's screwed up, his earlier shot, where its just the cursor in the setuid and the no-sandbox is what I tried ) trying to understand why "flashpeak-slimjet" won't even execute/open (p.s. if I did brainfart and do something wrong, please throw some bricks this way) :wink:):
Attachments
CaroVgrd-terminal-run-ldd-version.png
(62.07 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Slimjet32bit-in-CarolinaVanguard32-bit.png
(190.72 KiB) Downloaded 458 times