SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#81 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, belham2.

Yah, that's a good idea. I've meant to put in something to that effect a coupla times, actually, but I keep getting sidetracked..!!

I'll edit the appropriate posts now....while I think about it. Thanks for the reminder. Cheers!

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#82 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 13.0.3.0 'Stable' now available***

Morning, all.

The current version, 13.0.3.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 24.0.0.194.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet is also available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3so7h6 ... S_packages

As before, version 13 of SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch.

Enjoy. Any probs, you know where to find me.

orrin

#83 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

I am trying out SlimJet.... so far I like what I see! With the Tabs and AdBlock options built-in, that's two less extensions that I need.

It reports itself as Chrome, so the banks are happy!

Keep up the good work, and thanks for your efforts!
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

Mike Walsh

#84 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, orrin.

Hmm... OK. Glad you like it!

I got put onto this and Iron (which I also re-package in 64-bit format) by OscarTalks. I've always liked the Chromium-based browsers, as you know.

However, this one is still based on Chromium 55. When SlimJet 14 is released, I expect it to have moved to Chromium 56 as its base. This is the one that's been giving all the trouble, of course. However, when I packaged Iron 56.0.2950.0 the other day, it too is responding favourably to the 'libpuppygc.so' workaround by our very own iguleder.

You might like to take a look at Iron at some point, and let me know if you're getting the same problems there as you've recently reported with Chrome 56. It's more closely based on Chromium than SlimJet; FlashPeak are at least employing some degree of customization, to their eternal credit.

It's worth bearing in mind that there is life outside of Chrome itself, y'know.....there's a whole bunch of Chromium-based browsers out there..! :lol: :lol: But, as you say, as far as the banks are concerned, it matters not a jot whether you're using Chrome, Chromium, SlimJet, Iron, Vivaldi, the new Opera.....to them, they're ALL 'Chrome'. After all, they're all using the same code-base, aren't they?

In addition to the above-mentioned, there's also Torch, Maxthon, Iridium, Comodo's 'Dragon' browser, RocketMelt (social network-focused), Yandex (from the Russian search engine giant), Cent, Sleipnir.....the list just goes on, and on. And on. And...

Well. I think you get the picture. It is worth trying out some of the alternatives; they all, without exception, work with your Google a/c. And some have some pretty nifty features.....as you're now discovering with SlimJet.

Go on; be daring. Live a little! Give the competition a go. You might just find something you like even better than Chrome...

orrin

#85 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

Is there a way to prevent the 'Amazon' icon from appearing on the toolbar whenever the site is accessed?
I can get rid of it with the "Customize Toolbar" options but can't delete it entirely from the left column of that option.

Mike Walsh

#86 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, orrin.

Unfortunately, no; that's one of FlashPeak's 'concessions' to the modern internet shopping society! They take it for granted that once you've accessed Amazon, you'll want to keep on returning.....so the icon is there for your 'convenience'! :roll:

(Yes, it niggles me, too.....but it's a small niggle, compared to my own, personal major one. Which is that FlashPeak, in their wisdom, have decided not to implement the H.264 codec.....meaning I can't watch NetFlix when I want to. So for that alone, it's back to Chrome or Iron; no biggie, really, seeing as how I run all three of 'em!)

It's like all the other stuff that's already on the Bookmarks bar before you sign in.....before I realised it, I had 3 copies of all that was there, implemented each time I'd set-up SlimJet on another Pup. Nowadays, I delete it all before I sign in..... :lol:

(In fact, the problem no longer rears its head, since I now run a single copy of each browser from a remote partition, sym-linked into each & every Pup exactly where Pup expects to find them. And a single copy of each of 32-bit & 64-bit PepperFlash, further sym-linked into each of the remote browsers at the appropriate places. Makes things a lot easier at upgrade time, I can tell you..!)

Apart from that, however, it's a darn good browser. I've even revised my earlier opinion, and now rather like the tabs; reminiscent of pre-'Australis' FireFox.....

Don't forget, for SlimJet & Iron, they don't auto-upgrade Pepper the way that Chrome does. So if Adobe update it before the next browser release, I also produce a series of PepperFlash .pets to keep on top of that chore. You can find 'em here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106409

Have fun!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

orrin

#87 Post by orrin »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, orrin.
Unfortunately, no; that's one of FlashPeak's 'concessions' to the modern internet shopping society! They take it for granted that once you've accessed Amazon, you'll want to keep on returning.....so the icon is there for your 'convenience'! :roll:
I found a way, and it seems to be working! I just moved the amazon (and a few other) icons from opt/slimjet/siteicons to another location.

Mike Walsh

#88 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah! Thanks for the tip; I shall have to try that myself.

Cheers!

EDIT:- Yes, I see what you mean. If the icons aren't there, then SlimJet won't be able to pull them up. I guess, if you really wanted to, you could even add icons if there was a particular site you wanted to show.....although I wouldn't like to say exactly where the link method for 'icon per site' comes from.

No matter. That should continue to work, anyway. Good discovery!

orrin

#89 Post by orrin »

I also discovered that removing one or two icons must disturb the process somewhere. Now NONE of the remaining icons work.... and that's OK with me.

Also if you DO want one or two of the icons, they can be added with the
'customize toolbar' option even thought the icon is missing in opt/slimjet/siteicons!

Mike Walsh

#90 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 13.0.7.0 now available***

Evening, everybody.

The current release, 13.0.7.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 24.0.0.221.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm quitting the 32-bit versions as from this release. It's silly both Oscar and myself doing versions of the same thing.....so I'm going to leave Oscar to continue to do what he's so very good at doing, while I concentrate on the 64-bit releases.

Enjoy. As usual, any probs, you know where to find me.

orrin

#91 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

Got the new version.... what did they change?

Mike Walsh

#92 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, orrin.

Not an awful lot, TBH. If you're interested, this page'll explain what they've altered with the last few releases:-

http://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

Hope that helps.

Marv

#93 Post by Marv »

Hi Mike,
I've been running the 32bit version 13.0.7.0 for a few days now. I just downloaded the deb from slimjet, extracted and resquashed it as an SFS. Loads and runs fine in LxPupSc, X-slacko 4.2 and X-slacko slim 4.2r41 on both the core 2 duo and the Pentium M laptops. The wrapper script in the 32b version is much improved since 13.0.3.0. If extra libraries are required (as in Xslim), place them in /opt/slimjet/lib and it picks them up, exports that lib path and uses them. Instead of symlinking your profile to ~/.config/slimjet, it requires if running from root that you export your profile location and explains that pretty clearly when running the wrapper. I used the following in /etc/profile:

Code: Select all

# slimjet data directory location
export SLIMJET_USER_DATA_DIR=/mnt/sda2/BrowserData/slimjet
You could also create an /etc/profile.local of course.

Other than the standard puny toolbar/menu fonts that don't follow the system theme I've no complaints at all with it. Ya the cache is in the profile not ~/.config/.cache so my crond cleaner can't get at it and is encrypted but you can limit its size in the settings.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#94 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Marv.

Hmm. Interesting....

I'll have to have a look at this a bit more closely. I tend to junk the standard wrapper and use my own, which is a mixture of some of Oscar's stuff and my own.

Mine's around 36-38 lines in length.....where FlashPeak's isn't far short of 200 lines (although a big chunk of that is localization, it's true.) This business of the .cache being relocated might be worth re-investigation.

Cheers for the heads-up. Ta.

orrin

#95 Post by orrin »

Using Slacko 64-6.3.2

A couple of extensions that I use do not work the same as in Chrome!

Vanilla Cookie Manager - The icon does not change from cookies to no-cookies (a cookie symbol with a line through it). The rest of the application seems to work OK.

Clear Cache - Does not reload the current tab after the cache is cleared! As far as I can tell, it is clearing the cache.

Would I be better off setting the max cache in the options to a low number like 1M and dumping the extension?

slavvo67

#96 Post by slavvo67 »

Can't it run in incognito? I think you don't need to release the cache if you run it that way.

Marv

#97 Post by Marv »

Just about my sole complaint with the latest 32 bit slimjet was the toolbar and menu fonts. It's fixed for me installing the latest DejaVu fonts from here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 195#948195 and of course running mkfont.sh in that directory. Thanks musher0! So far only tested in X-slacko Slim 4.2r42 and no font culling or tweaking done, just running DejaVu sans as the system font; but I think it solves the 'problem'. It's a simple thing to try if you have old or challenged eyes :?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#98 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 13.0.8.0 now available***

Evening, everybody.

The current release, 13.0.8.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 25.0.0.127.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't usually bother with one release straight after another, given that Flashpeak pop these updates out so quickly.....but I decided to break with tradition this time, given that they've finally included several new audio codecs with this version. I thought y'all would appreciate having the choice!

New stuff in this release:-

https://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

As Oscar also discovered, the website talks about downloading a specially-modified version of libffmpeg.so, despite there being a version of it in the /opt/slimjet directory already. It would appear that Oscar and I have both done the same thing; placed the modified version in the /opt/slimjet/lib folder, and also replaced the existing version with it. This way, SlimJet will find libffmpeg.so wherever it looks.

Have fun. Any probs, you know where to find me.

Mike Walsh

#99 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 13.0.9.0 now available***

Evening, everybody.

The current release, 13.0.9.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the usual location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 25.0.0.148.

As stated in the last post, I don't usually bother with one release straight after another, but I'm definitely making an exception this time, too.....because at long last, FlashPeak have included the WideVine modules. And that means they've finally relented and included the h.264 codec, too!

New stuff in this release:-

https://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

The previously-mentioned modified version of libffmpeg.so is, of course,included (in both locations. 13.0.9.0 has, however, thrown up a curiosity; normally, the libnss3.so & libnssutil3.so modules are included in /slimjet/lib, and I'm guessing SlimJet usually looks there for them. With this release, it throws up all sorts of errors in the terminal with these left in their usual location. The problem is solved by removing these two libs, and allowing it to 'find' the system versions by itself; sym-linking to the system libs doesn't work.....which is odd.

Anyway, NetFlix works fine with this release, so.....have fun. Any probs, you know where to find me.

orrin

#100 Post by orrin »

Hello Mike,

The new version is loaded and working OK here so far!
Thanks for your efforts!

When the new version loaded, there was a message saying there
was no support for mp4 files. I wonder why that is since it's based on
Chrome which DOES support mp4's. I checked it with my own website
which has HTML5 videos. Slimjet played the webm version and Chrome
played the mp4 version!
Last edited by orrin on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.