How to use Opera in Buster Pup 8.0?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Gnimmelf

How to use Opera in Buster Pup 8.0?

#1 Post by Gnimmelf »

Hi there
cannot seem to make opera (or chromium or falcon) browsers run on Buster Pup 8.0 C.E. is there a solution for that? maybe a deb, pet or an sfs? I tried the official one downloaded from opera website. tried one of the older wersions too, didnt work either.

kindly Gnimmelf

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Gnimmelf:-

If you try to start Opera from the terminal, what readout do you get? Do be aware that there will be a lot of it; Chromium-based browsers are very 'noisy' in the terminal, because this is where the dev's debugging info comes from.

Try & start it from the terminal, then copy/paste the readout into your next post, please. This is usually the first line of attack, so that we know what we're dealing with. :)

You would have been better off posting this in either 'Browsers & Internet' OR the Busterpup thread.....

Mike. :wink:

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

BusterPup 8.0 CE by Radky is 32bit only I believe. Some browsers such as Opera do not come in 32bit versions any more. An older version may work, but it will need to be considerably older and definitely a 32bit build. Specify the package name and where it came from. There are Debian Buster official builds of recent Chromium available from their repo, or try one of the other derivatives.
There is DpupBuster 64 CE by josejp2424 which is 64bit.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah. Thanks for the clarification, Oscar; I wasn't aware Busterpup 8.0 was 32-bit only. That being the case, Opera definitely won't run, as you say.....

Mike. :wink:

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

@Gnimmelf
Installed Chromium via Puppy Package Manager in BusterPup 8.0 (32bit) and got it running easily.
Posting from it now.
All I had to do was add the arguments --no-sandbox --disable-infobars to the script /usr/bin/chromium in order to allow running as root.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/lib/chromium/chromium --no-sandbox --disable-infobars --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chrome --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 --audio-buffer-size=2048 "$@"
Attachments
chromium-buster.jpg
Install via PPM and edit /usr/bin/chromium as above
(26.3 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Oscar in England

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

One of the things I liked best about the 'old' Opera was its speed-dial. Vivaldi was forked from Opera by some of the people who had worked on it and includes a Speed-dial. So, you might also want to give Vivaldi a try, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 00#1037400. I suggest the SFS since, if it doesn't work you can just unload it.

Or Slimjet, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 22#1024022 which also includes its builtin Speed-dial.

Another alternative, similar to the suggestion about Chromium is Iron. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 76#1022876. Iron's objective is to provide a Google-Chrome compatible web-browser stripped of 'call home to google about everything' aspects. Like Chromium and other google-chrome clones, you can install Google-Chrome Addons including Speed-dials.

FYI, the 'New' Opera is also a google-chrome-clone as are all of the above, except for Chromium which is Google-Chrome's 'Test bed', mostly just lacking the Google-Chrome branding.

6502coder

#7 Post by 6502coder »

mikeslr wrote:Like Chromium and other google-chrome clones, you can install Google-Chrome Addons including Speed-dials.

FYI, the 'New' Opera is also a google-chrome-clone as are all of the above, except for Chromium which is Google-Chrome's 'Test bed', mostly just lacking the Google-Chrome branding.
This is perhaps a little confusing. The phrase "Chromium and other google-chrome clones..." seems to say that Chromium is a "google-chrome-clone", whereas the second sentence seems to clearly imply that Chromium is NOT a google-chrome-clone.

To be clear, "new" Opera and Slimjet are both based on Chromium.

Gnimmelf

#8 Post by Gnimmelf »

If you try to start Opera from the terminal, what readout do you get? Do be aware that there will be a lot of it; Chromium-based browsers are very 'noisy' in the terminal, because this is where the dev's debugging info comes from.
Try & start it from the terminal, then copy/paste the readout into your next post, please. This is usually the first line of attack, so that we know what we're dealing with. :)
Dont know how to?
You would have been better off posting this in either 'Browsers & Internet' OR the Busterpup thread.....
Im sorry i thought i did.......is it possible to move it?

OscarTalks

#9 Post by OscarTalks »

There is (rather old) Opera 45 which runs but some of the fonts don't look right in BusterPup on my machine:-
https://yadi.sk/d/kbkFDOa3pGaxF?force_show=1
For something newer and better in my opinion try the 2.3.1440.61-i386 Vivaldi .pet or .sfs from here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK?force_show=1
That works out of the box.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

6502coder wrote:
mikeslr wrote:Like Chromium and other google-chrome clones, you can install Google-Chrome Addons including Speed-dials.

This is perhaps a little confusing. The phrase "Chromium and other google-chrome clones..." seems to say that Chromium is a "google-chrome-clone", whereas the second sentence seems to clearly imply that Chromium is NOT a google-chrome-clone.

To be clear, "new" Opera and Slimjet are both based on Chromium.
Hallo, mate.

It gets very confusing, given just how many 'clones' there are of Chromium.....

Chromium itself is the 'well-spring' from which all the others derive. Even Google Chrome is a 'clone' of Chromium. As Mikeslr says, although The Chromium Project is touted as a separate entity, everyone who's 'in the know' is perfectly well aware that it is indeed Google's 'test-bed' for Chrome. It's sponsored (read financed!) by Google, and is where all the cutting-edge stuff is first tried out, the Project's semi-autonomous 'build-bots' churning out dozens of different builds every 24 hours.

Most of these never see the light of day, since the test-crew often unearth serious bugs in the builds which, in their estimation, would not sit well in a release variant; Google themselves want stable builds before they take the code, re-compile it again for an older glibc/set of dependencies (to make it more widely accessible by a greater number of individuals), then add their proprietary bits'n'bobs, re-brand it as Chrome, and release it as a new stable version.

(Chromium, being 'cutting-edge', always demands the very newest of everything. This is why it will often only work with the newest Puppies, and is why many of the clones are popular alternatives, seeing as how they mostly follow the same recipe as Google.....re-compiling against older versions of everything to make them more widely accessible.)

This 'infographic' I put together for a different thread - to try and explain things to one of our French cousins! - will, I hope, sum up the state of play of the whole mess in 2019..... :roll: :)

Mike. :wink;