RU Xerus64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
slavvo67

#61 Post by slavvo67 »

Updated to Rednotebook 2.5. Not overly impressed by the changes and a lot of dependencies but I'll upload the pets for you all to judge. Should be coming in the next 24 hours. Personally, I'll probably stick with 1.14 but 2.5 will be here if you're interested.

Also, and I think better, I wrote a script that will backup not only the data files but also the attachments put into Rednotebook so you can port them to another USB or just keep somewhere as a backup, just in case. Been looking at this, since I've been considering using this for real world application and not just for fun. That'll be coming with the other files.

Slavvo67

slavvo67

#62 Post by slavvo67 »

Enjoy

System's pissing me off, again. It's not taking my post with the links....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NZdcpy ... sp=sharing

Redbckup-1.1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cOTfGL ... sp=sharing

Rednotebook-2.5.0.2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-JmSMp ... sp=sharing

RedNotebookDEPS-2.5.2

slavvo67

#63 Post by slavvo67 »

Just do a browser copy and paste for the links above. They should work.

Redbckup-1.1 creates a /DOCS directory where a rednotebook backup pet is made based on the sub-directories copied to the /DOCS directory. The sub-directories in /DOCS can be removed as they are all already in the .pet file. Just left in for viewing pleasure.

Rednotebook-2.5.0.2 is just a .deb converted to .pet

RedNotebookDEPS-2.5.2 include GTK3-perl-3.0, Python-3.5.1, Python-wgi-3.5 and a few other Python deps that I don't recall of the top...

slavvo67

#64 Post by slavvo67 »

Redbckup is in Menu --> Filesystems I should have noted that above.

slavvo67

#65 Post by slavvo67 »

Redbckup-1.2 I realized that it wasn't set to backup custom templates that a user might have made. The new version below fixes that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lZdFW ... Dz2N6BEi_0

slavvo67

#66 Post by slavvo67 »

Just a quick note about Redbckup. It's still a work in progress. I recently noticed that real world use of Rednotebook caused a few format problems for proper backup. You might find that some files backup while others do not. I'm on it and I've already fixed it. The problem is, I need to hard-code the file formats that would be anticipated as attachments. So far, the obvious for me are:

.txt .pdf .docx .odt .rtf .mp4 .mp3 .m4v .jpeg .jpg .png .xlsx .ods

That's about all that I hard coded in for now. Plan on adding .htm .html and I'm not really sure what else off the top.... Any file formats needed, please let me know so we can be sure the proper format is coded into the Redbckup.

The new upload may not come for a day or so. I want to be sure that I'm getting a reasonable capture of the most common file formats. I guess maybe .abw as well? Anyway, an update in a day or two...

slavvo67

#67 Post by slavvo67 »

Ran into a problem with regular .doc files so I would recommend not attaching that file type for now. It's an old format, anyway as .docx is more common now.

Oh, and don't leave spaces in your filenames. Play it safe and use dashes or underscores. Other than those, the new version of Redbkup seems to work good. Uploading tonight or tomorrow. Need to repackage it, first.

slavvo67

Java .Jar files.... Did you know...

#68 Post by slavvo67 »

There is a little script in /root/my-applications/bin called javacute. It doesn't work out of the box but a quick edit and it will execute .jar files for you. It's a bit repetitive, too, as you will pick the directory where the .jar file is located and then go back and pick the .jar file to execute. I'll fix that and the item below but for a quick GUI to execute java programs, it works fine.

In the last line, just change the -d32 to -d64 :

java -d32 -jar "$file555"

NOW:

java -d64 -jar "$file555"

So far, running every .jar file I've come across.

Slavvo67

slavvo67

#69 Post by slavvo67 »

BarryK recently retired Quirky. Well, there are a bunch of derivatives built off of Barry's Quirky and I intend to continue with RU Xerus or similar Quirky type items. I've been hibernating a bit due to extreme work priorities but I'm committed to enhancing RU Xerus and creating other Quirky type product.

So RU Xerus, which is a Quirky derivative, will probably continue.

Slavvo67

slavvo67

Possible Truecrypt 7.1a issue. CONSIDER DISCONTINUING USE..

#70 Post by slavvo67 »

I've been playing around with TrueCrypt in RUXerus and came across what I think is a hole the size of...well, pretty big...

First I have two Truecrypt files setup via commandline to require both a password and the same keyfile. Using the following script in root/Startup:

FOR TRUECRYPT CONTAINER 1:
truecrypt /DOCS/Test5.txt --password="" --keyfiles=/DOCS/keytrue1 /media/truecrypt1

FOR TRUECRYPT CONTAINER 2:
truecrypt /DOCS/Test6.txt --password="" --keyfiles=/DOCS/keytrue1 /media/truecrypt2

I have each of the above saved as two separate scripts in /root/Startup, though I have used one file with both and received similar results.

Both files were originally created with different passwords but the same keyfile.

What is happening:

Well, when I boot, Truecrypt asks for the first password (Note: I have --password="" which should force a prompt to enter password). Once the first password is entered properly, it never asks for the password for the second file (Test6.txt, which mounts to truecrypt2). Well, that 2nd password was never prompted and I'm guessing because the first one was correct, it automatically mounted the 2nd one, as well.

So, YIKES, I say. At this point, I think it prudent to move on to another encryption program. Any suggestions other than Veracrypt or other derivs of Truecrypt. I'm a bit gun shy now....

Slavvo67