RU Xerus64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
slavvo67

CCrypt

#16 Post by slavvo67 »

I had a little fun putting a GUI on CCrypt. It encrypts a folder but also renames each file numerically so nobody can tell what the file actually is until you decrypt.

This idea was influenced a lot by Rufwoof's Pcrypt. CCrypt is running in RUXerus and should also run in most 64 bit Puppies and Quirkies.

It will be included in the next RUXerrus but I've attached a link for those interested in using it. It requires YAD, which is already installed in most puppies and quirkies.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B672gI ... sp=sharing

slavvo67

OpenSSL-1.0.2J

#17 Post by slavvo67 »

This is a security update to OpenSSL. It's the latest 1.0.2j.

MD5: c29c205341272237c150f1b05b6985bb
SHA-1: d78694c1f220fcd97911745d18cf2aab3597e935

SHA256:

64ac44d60c8cbf9aaa94478d4de17bede1498851740d12675eba6312bb352ed5

Thanks to Belham2 for the notification on this...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 440#926440

This will be incorporated into the next RUXerus, as well. I haven't tried it but it should work in Barry's Xerus64 and may work in other 64bit Puppies or Quirkies.

slavvo67

Palemoon

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

I've been testing Palemoon27 Beta which seems to have some significant improvements over earlier versions. Time to revisit and I'll probably add that one to the desktop, as well....

belham2

Re: OpenSSL-1.0.2J

#19 Post by belham2 »

slavvo67 wrote:This is a security update to OpenSSL. It's the latest 1.0.2j.

MD5: c29c205341272237c150f1b05b6985bb
SHA-1: d78694c1f220fcd97911745d18cf2aab3597e935

SHA256:

64ac44d60c8cbf9aaa94478d4de17bede1498851740d12675eba6312bb352ed5

Thanks to Belham2 for the notification on this...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 440#926440

This will be incorporated into the next RUXerus, as well. I haven't tried it but it should work in Barry's Xerus64 and may work in other 64bit Puppies or Quirkies.

Hi Slavvo,

I wanted to attempt to compile the openssl-1.0.2j myself, so as to further learn and teach myself. I downloaded yours so when I am done I can compare it and make sure I didn't goof anything up.

My question is this: I downloaded the openssl-.1.0.2j_tar.gz file from the official openssl site, then unarchived it into a separate folder, then opened a terminal in that folder. When I type in "./config" and/or "./config [with any parameter afterwards]", I am getting this response in the terminal after a few seconds of 'config' going through some things:

sh: make: command not found

I am using Barry's Xerus Xenial latest build, and I looked in Puppy Package Manager and it seems all the Development Tools for compiling Barry already installed. Can I ask what you did and/or maybe what I am doing wrong? Do I have to use python instead (in Quirky Xenial) when in the terminal for "./config" to work, something like:

# python ./configure.py
or
#python configure.py

Thanks for any help and/or tips with this (also, if you have any compile, make or install parameter tips, would be much appreciated :D )

slavvo67

#20 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi belham2:

I took Watchdog's lead on this. I'm uploading the DEVX for you to use but... even when you compile, you should download watchdog's pet(s) and manually follow suit just to be sure all security is intact.

It was not completely automatic. Of course, I could have been doing something wrong, too. Let me know how you do. I don't use Python for this; I'm guessing you can but it might be recreating the wheel a bit. Most tar files have a help or readme file that tell you the recipe or instructions that you need to do to compile.

The DEVX link will be on page one. Also, I've been adding a few more utilities to the Pinboard. My latest are SplitVideos (splits by 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes or 1 hour), VideostoMP3 and CopyDirectory. They should be in the next release.

About compile scripts, I'm actually working on a pet project using a gui interface to allow for compiling certain things. For example, I'm constantly updating to having cutting edge YAD (yet another dialog) in RUXerus. It's not ready, yet and to the extent some manual things need to be done in the process, I want the script to automate them (like copy files before creating the pet.

Let me know how you do....

Kind regards,

Slavvo67

belham2

Thanks Slavvo!

#21 Post by belham2 »

slavvo67 wrote:Hi belham2:

I took Watchdog's lead on this. I'm uploading the DEVX for you to use but... even when you compile, you should download watchdog's pet(s) and manually follow suit just to be sure all security is intact.

It was not completely automatic. Of course, I could have been doing something wrong, too. Let me know how you do. I don't use Python for this; I'm guessing you can but it might be recreating the wheel a bit. Most tar files have a help or readme file that tell you the recipe or instructions that you need to do to compile.

The DEVX link will be on page one. Also, I've been adding a few more utilities to the Pinboard. My latest are SplitVideos (splits by 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes or 1 hour), VideostoMP3 and CopyDirectory. They should be in the next release.

About compile scripts, I'm actually working on a pet project using a gui interface to allow for compiling certain things. For example, I'm constantly updating to having cutting edge YAD (yet another dialog) in RUXerus. It's not ready, yet and to the extent some manual things need to be done in the process, I want the script to automate them (like copy files before creating the pet.

Let me know how you do....

Kind regards,

Slavvo67
Hi Slavvo,

Thank you! Will give it a go later tonight or tomorrow. I'll try it a couple of more times, but if I keep goofing it up, I'm stopping and just installing your openssl-1.0.2j.pet I downloaded as I know it already works :) . This trying to teach myself just a bit more overall about pup's (like compiling) sometimes really taxes this simple-pup-user's brain, haha :lol:

slavvo67

#22 Post by slavvo67 »

Okay. The make command definitely works. I think the difference is that Barry and others create the DEVX as an .sfs file. The .sfs files have been a sore point with me for quite sometime. In Puppy, they save a lot of space as you can mount/unmount as needed but in Quirky, it just makes sense to install a pet unless you are using a small USB stick. Most of my USB's are 16, 32 or 64GB's so there's usually plenty of room.

The .sfs is not always in a path that the terminal recognizes. You probably need to put it there and mount for it to work properly. That's probably why Barry's devx didn't work. I usually put my scripts in /root/my-applications/bin.

Some of the add-ons such as Xournal, LibreOffice and Firefox are in /opt location. I am re-evaluating Palemoon and it looks like the v27 Beta version is quite good and light. I expect to throw yet another browser icon onto the desktop.

Trying to fix Xournal, as it is not showing some icons. I fixed that problem and created another. We'll see how it goes.

Best,

Slavvo67

belham2

#23 Post by belham2 »

slavvo67 wrote:Okay. The make command definitely works. I think the difference is that Barry and others create the DEVX as an .sfs file. The .sfs files have been a sore point with me for quite sometime. In Puppy, they save a lot of space as you can mount/unmount as needed but in Quirky, it just makes sense to install a pet unless you are using a small USB stick. Most of my USB's are 16, 32 or 64GB's so there's usually plenty of room.

The .sfs is not always in a path that the terminal recognizes. You probably need to put it there and mount for it to work properly. That's probably why Barry's devx didn't work. I usually put my scripts in /root/my-applications/bin.

Some of the add-ons such as Xournal, LibreOffice and Firefox are in /opt location. I am re-evaluating Palemoon and it looks like the v27 Beta version is quite good and light. I expect to throw yet another browser icon onto the desktop.

Trying to fix Xournal, as it is not showing some icons. I fixed that problem and created another. We'll see how it goes.

Best,

Slavvo67

Hi Slavvo,

I got Barry's devx-8.0-Quirky (that I had downloaded yesterday) working in my Quirky 8.0 install, and it went through everything great. My output (at least size-wise) was identical to yours, so I thought great, when I opened them up to compare it'll all be the same. But, as with all grand expectations of a noob, boy did I screw the pooch (so to speak) as to the directories created in my compiling. When done & compared to yours, which I know is correct because everything worked in both RUXerus and Barry;s 8.0, my compiled directories were not the same. :( Sooooo, I have to sit myself down the next few weeks and learn about identifying where whatever I am installing is supposed to be installed to, and also about using definitive parameters in the "./config" and "make" parts so those directories are created (and everything is installed) correctly.

Thanks again!

slavvo67

#24 Post by slavvo67 »

You should search the board. There's plenty of information on all topics here. Search gives you more than you want but it will highlight your search topic when it's in the title.

belham2

#25 Post by belham2 »

slavvo67 wrote:You should search the board. There's plenty of information on all topics here. Search gives you more than you want but it will highlight your search topic when it's in the title.
Hi Slavvo,

Thanks again for doing that openssl update! Wish every builder would be like you.

Have one other crazy question. Is it possible to take am currently existing install of RUXerus (on an 8GB SD card) and only copy the critical stuff (the init, vmlinuz, and and any sfs) and throw them on to a partition, set an entry in grub4dos, and actually have it boot up?

Or is not possible when doing installs with those expanding .gz or .lz compressed files? I'm just trying to understand why a 4GB USB stick wouldn't work if you only pulled out the critical files after a compressed image as filled up, say, an 8GB CD card.

I've tried these compressed images before, from Barry, then with rufwoof (his gigantic >=1gb KDE creation---still have it, it's fun to play with!)....but I've always wondered if I could just take (copy) what I need from these installs and make a frugally-partitioned-booting one of my own.

Hope, haha, this isn't too crazy sounding and that I'm not understanding something simple. Apologies if so :oops:

slavvo67

#26 Post by slavvo67 »

Not sure. If I'm getting you correctly, you just want a bare bones of this distro to add your own stuff to. I understand, as things can get cluttered. Who needs 4 or 5 browsers, 2 word processors, etc?

WoofQ is Barry Kauler's building program to create Quirky projects, including Xerus64 (RUXerus is just Xerus64 with some of my tweaks but built via the WoofQ tool).

I can probably recompile a stripped down version for you but it will take some time. Been putting in long hours, lately.

belham2

#27 Post by belham2 »

slavvo67 wrote:Not sure. If I'm getting you correctly, you just want a bare bones of this distro to add your own stuff to. I understand, as things can get cluttered. Who needs 4 or 5 browsers, 2 word processors, etc?

WoofQ is Barry Kauler's building program to create Quirky projects, including Xerus64 (RUXerus is just Xerus64 with some of my tweaks but built via the WoofQ tool).

I can probably recompile a stripped down version for you but it will take some time. Been putting in long hours, lately.

Slavvo,

No, don't do a stripped down version just for me. Seriously! RU Xerus is already good. I guess the way I worded things seemed confusing. All I was trying to say, is that when you let the .gz image file expand when you installing (using dd) to a 8 or 16 GB USB (or SD card), it does not fill up anywhere near all those GBs. So, what I was wondering is if I just copied out the critical system and boot files, put them in a smaller partition, altered my grub4dos, would it all boot up (w/o problems)? I can see no reason why Barry's (or your RU Xerus) would not easily fit on a 4GB USB, and actually, from the looks of things I could get it on a 2GB USB. Barry is/was into this thing of creating a whole heck of a lot of room for certain parts of the OS, in essence, space just sitting waiting to be used, and well, for some of us, we still have a lot of 2gb-4gb sd cards & usb drives, and I'd like to run a quirky (or RU Xerus) off of those. Have no need (or rather desire) to keep buying 8 or 16 or 32 gb usb/sdcards. Frugal person, I am :lol:

Let me fool around doing this on my own, and don't waste your time doing a stripped down version. Just take whatever time you have and keep RU Xerus running great, and do like you have and keep the security updates uploaded so we can grab them quickly.

I'll let you know how it all goes....I am sure there is something I am not thinking of here, but I am an inveterate tinkerer, and I can afford to explode a few 2-4gb usb/sd cards :D

slavvo67

#28 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Belham2:

I'm curious to see where it goes. Keep me posted on your progress. I liked to keep things at a minimum, as well but because Quirky takes the whole stick and gives you plenty of room to add and add and add.. well, I get carried away.

Best,

Slavvo67

slavvo67

#29 Post by slavvo67 »

Just a reminder to everyone, Quirky is a bit different from Puppy in that it's not live. It will save what you install so when you shutdown and boot back up, the installs, saves, docs, etc. will be there. I mention this because I recently installed an item or two that had an adverse affect on my Quirky where I decided it was better to wipe the USB stick and do a fresh install.

I backup just about everything but just a reminder....

IF IT'S TOO IMPORTANT TO LOSE.... BACK IT UP!!!

Under the Filesystem menu, Barry had created Snapshot Manager for just such occasions. It takes a bit of time and space on your USB stick but it could come in handy to use. I haven't tested it in RUXerus so if any of you use it, please let me know if it's working or not. It probably shouldn't be your only backup option, either.

slavvo67

#30 Post by slavvo67 »

I just posted Palemoon27 Beta

Here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 520#929520

It's Beta only so beware but works really nicely. Works in RUXerus64 without any known issues.

Best,

Slavvo67

slavvo67

#31 Post by slavvo67 »

Puppy has a few applications that have calendar/date organizers like Osmo or Notecase but I've taken a particular liking to RedNotebook as a way to organize day-to-day tasks.

The download in PPM for Quirky is not the latest and does not have all the Python dependencies in order to work properly in RU Xerus, so I am providing the latest 1.14 along with the files needed to make it run properly.

RedNotebook 1.14

MD5: 8f440508a9663d09acbed57a1d803a4b
SHA-1: efb2abb69b7a38e0cba2a1eb6baa4eac61624fba
SHA-256: 3175f4747d0a8c9c474c2fa7072b8c10d321444138a3290de96a1993996c3812

Needed Dependencies:

MD5: f954b6967f9dd0df348a5128a1475907
SHA1: 192fdd90fb995bac7a2aa04df61b5680003754db
SHA-256: 5137d539c6f684fd5f815464f16504e8fc93c4b5f3d601d083f9b0264f606cdb

slavvo67

#32 Post by slavvo67 »

The Brave Web Browser, which is Chromium based, is working quite well in RU Xerus64. It takes an extra second or two to open up but it seems to work flawlessly once running. Not sure if I like the way it handles tabs (it has a weird scroll over interface) but still it seems more stable than Iron so I'll probably be removing Iron and replacing.

For those that want to try it out and don't want to wait for a new version of RU Xerus, use the Debian/Ubuntu download from here:

https://brave.com/

Also, I'm going to be changing the kernel on the next version. Going to take a few baby steps backwards but for good reasons. It seems to have no negative affect.

slavvo67

#33 Post by slavvo67 »

After playing with Brave, I've decided to keep Iron as the only Chromium based browser, for now. Brave works okay but feels more like a Firefox derivative for some reason.

Anyway, keeping Iron for now...

slavvo67

#34 Post by slavvo67 »

For those that haven't seen this, VLC is available through the PPM and works well in RU Xerus. I've downloaded the individual packages and will be replacing Xine in the next version with VLC. Nothing wrong with Xine, VLC is just a preference.

don570

#35 Post by don570 »

I was able to make red notebook app work in BarryK's Quirky Xerus 8.1.5
thanks to slavvo's software pets.