Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 28 Sep 2016, 04:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
RU Xerus64
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sun 15 May 2016, 19:48    Post subject:  RU Xerus64  

This is an Alpha using BarryK's WoofQ and still getting my feets wet.... This is almost an exact duplicate of BarryK's Quirky Xerus 8.0 with a few additions. Thanks to BarryK for the special attention in helping me get off the ground.

Xerus 8.001 at the boot up screen and a gray background are the only real initial changes you will see in this distro.

A little more investigating and you will see Firefox 46.0 is installed and properly working, LibreOffice 5.1 is in there, as well. Via terminal, mplayer, Imagemagick, pdftk, unrtf and pdfgrep are working. Also, YAD 36.1. The Beta will have GUI tools for most of these installs.

Under Menu --> Business -- There are applications Drive Index Creator, Date Look Between (file search tools) and Vid2JPG scripts. You should use Drive Index Creator before using Date Look Between. After using Date Look Between, you can go back to Drive Index Creator and carve it up or extract it the way you wish. Vid2JPG will basically take a video and break out a bunch of frames into jpg's.

This distro is not an .iso but a usfs.xz file. Use BarryK's installer to install to USB. There may be issues with writing to cd/dvd. I don't recommend using CD's or DVD's anymore. THIS IS A LARGE FILE!! You should probably consider a 16GB or higher USB, though 8 may work. Don't waste your time with a 4GB stick on this one.

This is only an Alpha so don't expect too much, here.

Users may wish to use the Setup --> Default Application Chooser to make Firefox the default browser and Libre the default word processor and spreadsheet editor.

Latest: 8/23/16
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B672gIlbo7iVSW13MmE5MkVsYUE/view?usp=sharing

MD5: 2b03922bd524da3631c49db9aa876897
SHA1: 3d63ef04047bfeb9f40af3fcef7d7a8037520d46
SHA256: 86c05d67211863badd73abbde5cd5f25d64f3cb0f299f743068ee6a757e3a3c7

Install to USB Script (Barry's - Hacked): This is basically Barry K's install script but I wanted to speed it up so I removed most of the options so you can walk away once you choose the install drive. It defaults f2fs, which is said to be all extended USB life. If u don't want this option, please use Barry K's install script for Xerus64.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B672gIlbo7iVMUlmeFZMNHJFdXM/view?usp=sharing

MD5: de45c77e6886414abc3df6db1a22cac4
SHA1: e4187e051f5f2bdf19c6df4bcc9f750b51335b14
SHA256: a911f15f37dfbbf25d044f4f217a08a8d5d3e216d69ffe70d0982dfbc45049e5

RUXerus 8.009 (latest 06.11.2016)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B672gIlbo7iVeUk4cjVrb0VxcWs/view?usp=sharing

MD5 Checksum: 4a942b4e6f5c38530a87389e398e41f7

SHA1: 59a5d0c489905ffe4a065ae89760c8c82a8de2d4

Last edited by slavvo67 on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 00:03; edited 7 times in total
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sun 15 May 2016, 20:30    Post subject:  

Install Instructions:

Please follow BarryK's installation instructions:

BarryK's Instructions:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/releases/xerus-8.0/alternative/alternative-readme.htm

Barry's Install to USB Script:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/releases/xerus-8.0/alternative/4install-quirky-to-drive-gpt.gz
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2016, 10:59    Post subject:  

Is this alpha's md5 checksum correct?
5bc9f86d4d68b38f364a435420e508b8 RUxerus64-8.001.usfs.xz

neur1

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 15:36    Post subject: RU Xerus64
Subject description: testing

hello slavvo67,
i get the same md5sum as *gcmartin, installed to 16gb usb. testing it. ff opens at http://www.%u.com/. in my rig it seems a little slower to open apps than 8.0 final and 7.90 beta. upgraded kernel to 4.4.8 and also all those debian folders?. good solid alpha. thx for work.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2016, 15:18    Post subject:  

Yes, the Firefox default page is a bit annoying. That doesn't happen when choosing the incognito as default. I'll figure that one out.

The Deb files in root is something that Woof decided to put and leave there. They don't belong and can be deleted without harm but I did notice that if you highlight a bunch in Rox and delete, it sometimes removes folders that weren't chosen.

The fastest way to get rid of them is go to root with Rox-filer and right click, choose Window and terminal here.

At terminal type: rm -rf DEB*

All gone.... Still, I don't want them there so I'll have to see what Woof is doing wrong....

Additional Note: I was going to replace Firefox with Palemoon until I realized just how much I dislike Palemoon. Maybe Chrome or Chromium?

Might have an update over the weekend....

Delays... delays.... When trying to personalize, I created a version that wouldn't boot. Also, I decided to convert all the debs to pets so Woof doesn't leave the residual folders in root. More work but I worry more about sticking a line in Woof that could ruin the entire process. Woof takes too much time and it gets frustrating when something doesn't work. The extra time to convert seems to make more sense, at least for now.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Mon 30 May 2016, 21:55    Post subject:  

So I am in the process of uploading Alpha 2. It would probably be a beta but I am not happy with the 2nd partition locking as mounted. I'm not sure why this is happening.

Firefox issue: fixed. I kept Seamonkey as the Browser icon default and placed a Firefox icon on the desktop, as well.

Office: This has Libre and ABI.

Deb directories in root: fixed.

Background and Icons changed.

A quick note about PDFchuck, which is an application that you should notice on the desktop: It is an application that converts documents but also has some image conversion scripts. When batch converting all images in a directory, do not choose the same image type as output that you are using for input. For example, if you are converting .jpg files, convert to jpeg or png images. Otherwise you will overwrite your originals. Not a good thing....

New Link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B672gIlbo7iVNWZRd2pPdGxHRDg/view?usp=sharing

MD5 Sum of New file is: af7c15aa5e6b3743866e3c0dcb729a94
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun 2016, 10:36    Post subject:  

I have recently added Iron to the desktop and after some bouts with getting the desktop icon working in WoofQ, she's now looking good. I like having at least one Chromium derivative and one Firefox derivative, so having Firefox, Iron and keeping Seamonkey meet the needs. Trying to get some insight as how to downsize Iron a bit before uploading a new RU Xerus. From time to time, Iron boots with a frozen icon at the bottom of the screen which needs to be killed. Then about another 30 seconds or so before retrying and it opens properly.

I am thinking that it may be due to the size so I'm trying to fix that first.

I also want to add a firewall status icon but there does not seem to be a ready made solution that works with Xerus.

Other things on the "to do" are adding Truecrypt and probably a recovery program like Photorec.

I'm also going to be adding a directory and file lock script that simply saves you from accidentally deleting or overwriting a file or directory.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2016, 19:02    Post subject:  

I'm slowly making progress; adding some programs that I think should be in every puppy.

Added:

Iron and Iron Incognito Icons: These guys still freeze up once in a while, so just right click on them and kill. Then wait a few seconds before starting again. Trying to fix this...

Photorec and Testdisk
Lockfile - This doesn't encrypt, it only prevents accident deletion...

I like Xine but it feels a little heavy so I added a very simple front-end to MPlayer. I call it MM-Play on the desktop. It's only for playing video files.

I'll be uploading tonight....

I'm also going to be stripping out some applications that I generally do not use. If anyone has suggestions, please PM me.

Slavvo67
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2016, 22:26    Post subject:  

8.009 Now available. See 1st post....

I'll get the DEVX there, soon, as well.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun 2016, 21:16    Post subject:  

So, I updated Iron from 50...to 51... and it's working much better. Really, really happy with that.

I also got Truecrypt working; very happy with that too....

Added Xournal, as this seems to be a way to sign PDF files. Haven't gone through the process but it's still a neat little program.

Added the FLTK checkers, sudoku and block attack. Happy with them...

Broke Dia,again so I want to fix that before uploading the next version...

Photorec and Testdisk seem to be working well.

Firefox 47.0 now. Also,thinking about upgrading Libre from 5.1 but I don't want to get too caught up in the upgrading game. 5.1 seems fine and upgrades sometimes are actually a step backwards. Not suggesting this with Libre, so we'll see.

I think this basically has everything I would want in a distro, so definitely Beta now. Going to tweak a few things and probably upload over the weekend.

Also thinking about virus scanner and network tools... Netcat? Actually found a virus in an SWF file on one of my computers so I'm thinking it's prudent to add some sort of virus program for those of us that have a little paranoia; like me Razz

Last thought is on Wifi; Really not happy with the wifi situation. I want this distro to eventually handle virtually all wifi cards. Anyone want to help me with that? I'm still using a wifi stick and won't truly be happy until I can get this to work with my HP Stream's built in Wifi. It's a quest; so it will eventually happen somehow....
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun 2016, 22:26    Post subject:  

@Slavvo67, you asked for WiFi.

@StemSee is developing a really nice solution, here. You might want to review and test.

Here to help

slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug 2016, 19:28    Post subject:  

Well, it's been a while already and I haven't posted any updates.... but progress is being made, here. It just isn't quite where I want it to be, yet. So, I'm holding uploading the updates. Still want a 64 bit Chromium or derivative that works more solidly. Iron has been touch and go. Seamonkey and Firefox are both working well.

Been playing around with some of the 64bit rom players, and they're acting well. I'll probably include them for those that are looking for a 64bit solution to Puppy Arcade, though this isn't the prime focus...

Truecrypt --good. 7zip encryption -good (though it looks like 7z has or had some security issues). Still, I want 7zip included.

A few other little surprises and we should be rolling with another release.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug 2016, 20:40    Post subject:  

Glad to hear you continue to progress @Slavvo67.

I am not sure if this can help, but I have often wondered if @Shinobar's Portable Browser could work in a PUP distro. I envision that the PUP could boot with portable folders in the Live media with a utility that allows user(s) to move the portable folder out of the main system to a folder such that any other 64bit PUP that is booted could be able to use the portable browsers without installing to the booted PUP. This way all bookmarks, and apps and etc is available no matter which 64bit PUP that is booted on the PC.

Not sure if this is any help as it just an idea. @Shinobar's portable Chrome, SeaMonkey, and Firefox is easily found in this forum.

slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2016, 00:09    Post subject:  

Just updated. Added a hacked version of Barry K's install to usb script. Maybe save it in root/my-applications/bin, go to the directory and right click.... make it executable.... then open terminal and type 4install1 and follow directions. Will work best with the usfs.xz file in the same directory, I thinks. Let me know...

Only use this installer if you want to install to usb and want the usb formatted with the f2fs option. I tried to make the install process a bit less interactive but so you can walk away from it after choosing your destination USB target drive and give it 5 or 10 minutes on its own.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2016, 01:29    Post subject:  

Sorry, it's taken so long to update, everyone. I was adding items that were very specific to my work and I needed to weed them back out before uploading. Any feedback is appreciated.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: