Vote: Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

Promote Puppy !

Do you use Linux EXCLUSIVELY?

Yes, I exclusively use Puppy Linux
32%
Yes, I exclusively use Puppy and other Linux(es)
20%
No, I mainly use Linux but keep Windows around
34%
No, I use Linux but also use Windows a lot
14%

Total votes: 91

Burn_IT

#91 Post by Burn_IT »

Don't worry Linux will have similar holes, they just haven't been reported yet.
I spent many years doing research on bugs and coding errors and it can be shown that there will ALWAYS be a predictble number of bugs in ANY large piece of software, no matter what language and what OS.
The statistics also predict how many will be left after each stage of testing and how many new ones will be introduced.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Sailor Enceladus

#92 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Burn_IT wrote:Don't worry
Ok.

rufwoof

#93 Post by rufwoof »

Ransomware strives to get in and encrypt data to demand a financial transfer in order to be able to restore the data. But what about a pure damage based attack where all they were interested in doing was causing disruption. I'm thinking along the lines of cyber-war here.

How can you protect firmware from perhaps a virus that might simply issue burn new firmware commands, where trash is installed in place of the prior working firmware? That could be applied to routers, PC BIOS, network cards, hubs ...etc.

System software loss ... a mild issue - time spent downloading/replacing that.
Personal data loss ... more of a issue (much less so if you make good backups etc.)
Hardware trashed (router, hub, PC BIOS) !!!

Sylvander

#94 Post by Sylvander »

Hospitals In UK Hit By Ransomware Attack.
First reported May 12th 2017.

ndujoe1

#95 Post by ndujoe1 »

Yes I use PuppyLinux exclusively.

Reziac

#96 Post by Reziac »

Burn_IT wrote:Don't worry Linux will have similar holes, they just haven't been reported yet.
I spent many years doing research on bugs and coding errors and it can be shown that there will ALWAYS be a predictble number of bugs in ANY large piece of software, no matter what language and what OS.
The statistics also predict how many will be left after each stage of testing and how many new ones will be introduced.
For a good scare, read Hacking Linux Exposed. Of course by now all that info is outdated and the old holes have been replaced by new ones... as you say, it's just the reality of complex software, and it's not realistic to expect everyone to be OpenBSD.

BTW there was a site that had a searchable, sortable list of all the hundreds (thousands?) of Puppies, which made it easy to find a Puppy of a given breed, but now I can't find it. Anyone...??

ally

#97 Post by ally »

Reziac

#98 Post by Reziac »

Mondo, thanks, good list to paw through :)

Wasn't the one I was thinking of, tho -- was a dedicated Puppy archive with search categories like "XP-like" and desktop options and so on.

ally

#99 Post by ally »

under topics and searches click more or use search box

:)

nic007

#100 Post by nic007 »

Windows is superior at very important aspects of computing in my view and experience (mainly because of the availibility of better drivers for specific hardware it seems). I hate the newer Windows systems for their bulkiness though, ie. Vista and later. Puppy is compact and fun to use nevertheless.

rufwoof

#101 Post by rufwoof »

None of the above.

Mostly use Unix (OpenBSD works very well with my hardware), but keep Linux (Puppy) around for potential admin/recovery purposes.

Duprate

Puppy Linux

#102 Post by Duprate »

Olá! Uso o Puppy Linux a vários anos, como única distro. Inicialmente foi um derivado, o Browserlinux. Depois o Lupu 5.2.8. Atualmente uso o XenialPup64 7.5, bastante personalizado e com o Kernel 4.16.12, como distro principal, navegação com Firefox quantum 61, Google Chrome 67 e Vivaldi 1.15. Para o lazer uso o Tahr 6.0.5 32bits + Wine 1.3.6, para rodar vários jogos e programas da época do Windows XP.

Duprate

#103 Post by Duprate »

Hello! I use Puppy Linux for several years as the only distro. Initially it was a derivative, the Browserlinux. Then Lupu 5.2.8. I currently use XenialPup64 7.5, quite custom and with Kernel 4.16.12, as main distro, navigation with Firefox quantum 61, Google Chrome 67 and Vivaldi 1.15. For leisure use Tahr 6.0.5 32bits + Wine 1.3.6, to run various games and programs of the time of Windows XP.

nosystemdthanks

#104 Post by nosystemdthanks »

all my machines run an actively-developed derivative of void linux; which until recently was based on refracta and also (farther back) librepup or puppy tahr.

i have tried bsd, but it doesnt have the features i want. its a really great os though.

i recently purchased an inexpensive machine with xp on it. normally when i purchase a used machine i have written over the copy of windows within minutes or hours; this one im tempted to try out all the things ive done for "gnu/linux and windows" lately. generally speaking, i use wine for that. instead of writing over that drive, i just disconnected it and put in one with gnu/linux on it.

but actually use xp for something? no. it tends to just get deleted.

i had a windows 7 machine, i put debian on it. i got a windows 2k machine, i actually got rid of that drive (it was pata. i can use pata, but these days im pretty much done with pata. the first time i got a machine with sata i traded it for an older one though, because the new puppy worked on sata but my favourite version didnt support it.)
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]