XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
duckguy

Just Installed XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01.iso

#796 Post by duckguy »

fredx181 wrote: ... that explains the slow copy to ram, I usually boot frugal, but tried now booting Xenialdog from DVD. Copy to RAM took 35 sec, total boot time was 1:20
OK so I took some advice, and accidentally discovered an issue which has been affecting the boot times. I tried each option on the splash screen and obtained surprising results. Also at the same time, I used the "install" utility on an USB drive. I got different results with the USB drive installed than without it. So I wiped the drive, and booted again, as a test. Different results again.

One major issue was the location of a system folder named "Casper." I didn't have this folder in my system. I am guessing the OS needs it to run, and the lag was caused by it searching for it. When the USB was installed with the OS, the "Casper" folder was accessible. So when I wiped the USB, my boot time went from under 2' to the absolute slowest; 8'30".

I tried removing the USB and my boot time went back to 6'30". So I copied "Casper" to the root directory of my HD. My boot time went to nearly the fastest time, 1'35", with the save file.

I made a spreadsheet of my boot times with the different settings. I loaded it into this post, so you can see the results. My fastest boot time was under 1'30". Slowest? An excruciating 8'30". B'H.
Attachments
2017-09-01-Spreadsheet.png
Spreadsheet of data results of booting with different options. Fastest time under 1'30", slowest time 8'30. B'H.
(74.16 KiB) Downloaded 188 times

saintless

#797 Post by saintless »

duckguy, the frugal installer needs to choose XenialDog iso or casper folder. Your casper folder is on the CD. Mount the CD, choose the casper folder in the installer and it will install grub4dos and casper folder with all its content on the flash drive (or hard disk drive depending of your choice).

Your different boot speed results are caused by system search for casper folder on CD, on HDD partitions, on USB connected drives. The system picks up the first found casper folder. Don't boot with the CD having the same name casper folder on USB and/or HDD partition. This why backi posted menu list with casper in another name subfolder but seems we all can't explain clear to the user what to do. Sorry about that. Read again his example how to put casper in different name folder and edit the menu.lst with the change. Or keep only one casper folder on USB or HDD partition and don't use the CD anymore because the CD will find first and boot with sure from the casper folder on your USB/HDD (which isn't a problem after you know how and where from the system actually boots BTW).

Edit: Infact it is unique option to think about. Imagine your machine has only Windows with ntfs partition and no grub4dos. Then you can make this type of frugal install:

1. Download the Dog iso and burn it to CD/DVD.
2. Copy the casper folder from the iso (CD/DVD) on your Windows ntfs partition.
3. Boot from the CD/DVD

The system will boot using initrd1.xz and vmlinuz1 from the CD/DVD but will load as HDD frugal install the module from /casper folder on your Windows NTFS partition without need to install different boot loader and mess up the Windows installation in any way.

I'm sure Puppy have something similar as bootable floppy option if I remember well.

Toni

Pelo

Wireless with Frisbee

#798 Post by Pelo »

from my side, about Grub4dos, my dual boot with a Puppy (Italian Tahrpup) is now successful, session saved on Linux partition well loaded at boot..
What is to be known is that XeniaDog is in the advanced Menu !
Just precise location of save file in advanced menu.lst /mnt/sda3/DebianDog/usbrouge.dat for my own.

Antennas ; Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter.
Attachments
freebox.jpg
Wireless (indoor) connected.. Not tested outdoor, with dongle, in my car.
(48.53 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 14:47, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Saves : look inside

#799 Post by Pelo »

Strange we could not open pupsaves (.2fs) with XenialDoG. How do you do, Dogs users ?
And Does Puppy Linux could look inside .dat saves ?
Waiting for an answer

All Puppy Linux have Grub4Dos included. Use them to multiboot DOGS on your pendrives !
Attachments
casper.jpg
Casper must be at the top to be listed (not masked in XENIALDOG as here)
(56.69 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 18:02, edited 2 times in total.

duckguy

Just Installed XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01.iso

#800 Post by duckguy »

saintless wrote: ... make this type of frugal install:

1. Download the Dog iso and burn it to CD/DVD.
2. Copy the casper folder from the iso (CD/DVD) on your Windows ntfs partition.
3. Boot from the CD/DVD ... Toni
Yes. If you look at my spreadsheet, this is the configuration that booted the 2nd quickest of all ten different set ups. 1'35". The fastest was "PORTEUS ALWAYS FRESH" which booted in 1'24".

I am running from the flashdrive right now, with the save file on my HD, along with the sfs modules that are being integrated into the OS.

The only thing that still isn't working yet is the swap file. Also I still need to find a way to disable the touchpad. B'H.
Attachments
2017-09-01-Spreadsheet.png
Spreadsheet of data results of booting with different options. Fastest time under 1'30", slowest time 8'30. B'H.
(74.16 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Last edited by duckguy on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

I am running from the flashdrive right now : well

#801 Post by Pelo »

I am running from the flashdrive right now, with the save file on my HD, along with the sfs modules that are being integrated into the OS.
Ah no need any more CDs and DVDs :) or no need of live CD...project :?
Swap ? I never use Swap because my 4 GB RAM never overflow with applications that i use. Sorry i cannot help.
Tutos in Gitub explain Porteus boot and Casper one, not really grub4dos, which is doubtless the easier. Nothing to do, just give info where is saved your session.
What i would like, as in puppy Linux, is to be able not to save the session. That keeps save file light, at least without useless recording, sometimes errors done during session.
Detail to repair : Keyboard fr well working at reb)oot, excepted in browser. Just typing setxkbmap fr in terminal solve it. (taper xetxkb,qp fr)
Bookmarks are well saved
My goal was Multiboot, that is done.

About wireless, i will feed back if kernel recognize (or not) my dongle. That is the very important point, i just bought a new battery. Well Some Puppies will do it.
What devs have to do, is to work on weak points of the OS.. people are not the devs. You are the crew, the Linux knowledge. We trust you.

backi

#802 Post by backi »

Hi Pelo !
Reading carefully peoples instruction would really help avoiding Confusion and Misunderstandings .(and a lot of work )
What i would like, as in puppy Linux, is to be able not to save the session. That keeps save file light, at least without useless recording, sometimes errors done during session.

Where is the problem ?
If you want to accomplish your wish above...... listen carefully :
It is easy as that .

One more Time:
I assume you know how to use grub4dos .
I am using Xenial Dog on a Usb-Stick but the same menu.lst entry does work also on a Linux(ext2-ext3-ext4 ) Partition on a HarDDrive .

Step by Step.(once again )

1.Create a Folder named XENIALDOG either on Usb-Stick (make it bootable ----formatted with ext2-ext3-or ext4)or on a Linux(ext2-ext3-ext4 ) Partition on a Hard-Drive .
2.Extract the Xenial Dog Iso .
3.Copy (extracted) casper Folder into that empty Folder named XENIALDOG.----
4.Apply Grub4dos to the Device you want to boot your Xenial Dog from .
5.Modify Grub4dos menu.lst as follow :

I will give you a definitely working Example .

This is my menu.lst created with Grub4dos and modified (and it definitely works for me...)
so it looks like that:

title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder
find --set-root /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz from=/XENIALDOG noauto changes=EXIT:/XENIALDOG/casper/ ramsize=80%
initrd /XENIALDOG/casper/initrd1.xz

What it does when booting with this menu.lst :
Booted with this menu entry... a changes Folder will be created automatically.
Just like in Puppy Linux,you will be able to save or not to save the session.
No automatic Saves .
With save2flash symlinked from /usr/bin/save2flash to Desktop ......you can save if you like during Session . ....just the Puppy Style.
When shutting down ....you will be asked if you want to save or not .
Capito,comprendre ?
I swear to God....if you follow exactly my instructions ....you will be able to "as in puppy Linux, to be able to save or not to save the session."

Regards !
Last edited by backi on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 13:55, edited 2 times in total.

wiak

#803 Post by wiak »

backi wrote: I swear to God....if you follow exactly my instructions ....you will be able to "as in puppy Linux, to be able to save or not to save the session."

Regards !
Hahaha, the french man driving the german man mad.

wiak

fredx181

#804 Post by fredx181 »

1.Create a Folder named XENIAL either on Usb-Stick (make it bootable ----formatted with ext2-ext3-or ext4)or on a Linux(ext2-ext3-ext4 ) Partition on a Hard-Drive .
2.Extract the Xenial Dog Iso .
3.Copy (extracted) casper Folder into that empty Folder named XENIAL.----
4.Apply Grub4dos to the Device you want to boot your Xenial Dog from .
5.Modify Grub4dos menu.lst as follow :

I will give you a definitely working Example .

This is my menu.lst created with Grub4dos and modified (and it definitely works for me...)
so it looks like that:

title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/XENIALDOG/changes folder
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz from=/XENIALDOG noauto changes=EXIT:/XENIALDOG2/casper/ ramsize=80%
Hi backi, let's try to avoid even more confusion, some things are not correct:
- You wrote "Create a Folder named XENIAL,"
Then the boot command lines should contain folder "XENIAL", not "XENIALDOG"
- Also the changes go to "XENIALDOG2" in your example, DOES IT EXIST ? (maybe for you, but probably not for others)

Also: let's name things correctly as what they are:
"grub4dos" is not the same as "grub4dosconfig"

Fred

(now the german guy is driving the dutch guy mad :wink:)

backi

#805 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
Thanks for support .......just changed the name of the Folder (for casper ) to XENIALDOG......also changed entry XENIALDOG2 (was my mistake ) to just XENIALDOG.
Hope menu.lst entry is now correct .....to avoid further confusion .....from which i am obviously affected by??? or from??? :roll: :roll: .....who knows :roll: :lol:

Pelo

when you leave the session, it is recorded at that place

#806 Post by Pelo »

first thanks backi to come and give help.. misunderstanding should not last long, i am sure we all be agree within short time.
About launching Xenialdog and saving session, now that is understood, even if that was long enough..
I have always used porteus boot untill yesterday,
with Grud4dos i have the wish of sharing my pendrive with Puppies, this one (2GB) which is an old one, formated FAT32 , but in a second time on my brand new 8G one, which i formated Linux ext 3, dedicated to XeniaLdog first.
As my sessions are saved on HDD, partition Linux, 8GB is a lot too much, for Puppy Linux users, used to work with few MBs.

What i disagree, perhaps i am wrong, is that if at end of session you are asked to create a 'pupsave' , you can answer 'yes', you can answer 'no'
No, no trouble, easy.
Yes, pupsave is created where you want, you can even save on yet existing one. Then,, you have to record this place on menu.lst, to load it at boot : changes=.....
So it loads, but when you leave the session, it is recorded at that place, without asking your opinion as when you worked in a virgin session.
That was what i would like to change, ask each end of session (as pupsaveconfig does).
My English is quite perfect, is'nt it ?
SOLVED Auestion is qsked eqch end of sessionn< excepted keyboard fr
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 17:15, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

for XenialDog, i go to advanced menu.lst

#807 Post by Pelo »

"save2flash symlinked from /usr/bin/save2flash"
Not yet tested..
saving works, to be able not to save is a minor point. I will try save 2 flash ASAP 'as soon as possible'

:P process backi copied in menu.lst.. then XenialDog launched as quick as an (old) Puppy Linux.. I am in dual boot with this damned italian Puppy, which has some bugs for shutdown. No, Puppy Linux too is not a ready for use OS. Passengers not speaking English never will be able to use Linux, unless somebody helping them translating all the how-to. Compiling drivers, my God, what an utopia ...

# Frugal installed Puppy

title Puppy X Upup 17.05 (sdb1/XupupRome)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /XupupRome/initrd.gz
kernel /XupupRome/vmlinuz psubdir=XupupRome pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
initrd /XupupRome/initrd.gz

title XENIALDOG- porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/mnt/sda3/DebianDog/usbrouge.dat
kernel /XENIALDOG/casper/vmlinuz from=/XENIALDOG noauto changes=EXIT:/mnt/sda3/DebianDog/usbrouge.dat

Test Bench : approved
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#808 Post by backi »

I think......
.....they`re coming to take me away ...... :evil: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVkAhto0Ag

Pelo

details , jump to Nomacs topic

#809 Post by Pelo »

beware the crash ! once back home after summer holidays, passengers can install Nomacs and edit their pictures. details , jump to Nomacs topic
Installed with Synaptic.
My Screenshots will be deleted. They are there only to show what people can do with XenialDOG. The Forum looks like a list of non-working process. A quick presentation of applications serviceable once XenialDog installed will please some newbies..
What would think a passenger if a list of non working equipment was the only reading on board ???
The main reason why i select XenialDog is that some applications are available which does not exist elsewhere (not compiled yet). And for feed back. Our poor devs are quite in a ghetto, a bunker, if people don't contact them.
Attachments
space.jpg
bah, bah bah !!!
(20.57 KiB) Downloaded 451 times

duckguy

Skype for XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 32-bit)

#810 Post by duckguy »

OK I have gotten this working in other versions of Linux. I downloaded
Ghetto Skype 1.5.0 from https://github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype;
Skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb from http://www.tucows.com/thankyou.html?swid=853866 , and
skype-4.3.0.37.sfs from https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/pupp ... ages-tahr/
... and a few others. Nothing is working.

They compile, but the system spits them back out for missing dependencies. The puppy version from the Tahrpup archive won't convert from SFS, using the Xenial conversion utility as well.

Is there anyone that has the same issue?

Thanks in advance. B'H.

duckguy

menu.lst created with Grub4dos and modified

#811 Post by duckguy »

fredx181 wrote: ... 1.Create a Folder named XENIAL either on Usb-Stick (make it bootable ... 4.Apply Grub4dos to the Device you want to boot your Xenial Dog from .
5.Modify Grub4dos menu.lst as follow : ...
Hi,

I think I figured out why I do not have 'menu.lst' in my system. I am not booting from 'grub4dos'? Since 'menu.lst' is a subsidiarity of 'grub4dos'?

I think what I am booting from is called 'lilo'. I boot directly from the POST menu. So I do not run DOS. So, therefore 'grub4dos' will never work on my system? Doesn't 'grub4dos' require that DOS be running first? Or not?

In any case, I am not running DOS on this laptop. At all.

Thanks in advance, B'H.

fredx181

Re: menu.lst created with Grub4dos and modified

#812 Post by fredx181 »

duckguy wrote:
fredx181 wrote: ... 1.Create a Folder named XENIAL either on Usb-Stick (make it bootable ... 4.Apply Grub4dos to the Device you want to boot your Xenial Dog from .
5.Modify Grub4dos menu.lst as follow : ...
Hi,

I think I figured out why I do not have 'menu.lst' in my system. I am not booting from 'grub4dos'? Since 'menu.lst' is a subsidiarity of 'grub4dos'?

I think what I am booting from is called 'lilo'. I boot directly from the POST menu. So I do not run DOS. So, therefore 'grub4dos' will never work on my system? Doesn't 'grub4dos' require that DOS be running first? Or not?

In any case, I am not running DOS on this laptop. At all.

Thanks in advance, B'H.
Grub4dos does not require DOS and can be used on: ext2 ext3 ext4, NTFS and FAT32
Here's info from mikeslr and attached weeinst4Xenial to install grub4dos:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 077#950077
(in fact for Xenialdog64, but can be used for xenialdog32 also)

Fred

mikeslr

#813 Post by mikeslr »

Hi duckguy,

The difficulty you've encountered is a consequence of the problem the creators had, not with the application, but what to name it. Grub4dos is not limited to only being used with dos. In fact, it is primarily used with Linux. But unlike other bootloaders for Linux, it can also be used with dos. So the name grub4dos probably seem a good way to distinguish it.

Similar problems: Wine -- which means "Wine is not an emulator". True, its an application layer but unless you're a techie, you won't care about that distinction.

Frugal install: Not a "cut-down", incomplete, minimized version of a "Full Install". Rather, a method of frugally utilizing your storage space, enabling you to run a Puppy from a folder/directory rather than requiring an entire partition; i.e., several Puppies can be placed on the same partition, or placed on a partition also holding Windows or a different Linux operating system. The alternate name "co-existent" install never caught on.

mikesLr

Diogenes08

desktop harddrive icons

#814 Post by Diogenes08 »

I know this information is probably out there, and I am way late to the game. But it seems that whenever I try to change the gtk theme, the eject/mount icons in my desktop partition icons, disappear. I have removed lxappearance for this reason, and any other gtk switcher seems to have the same problem. Advice?

fredx181

Re: desktop harddrive icons

#815 Post by fredx181 »

Diogenes08 wrote:I know this information is probably out there, and I am way late to the game. But it seems that whenever I try to change the gtk theme, the eject/mount icons in my desktop partition icons, disappear. I have removed lxappearance for this reason, and any other gtk switcher seems to have the same problem. Advice?
Not sure if I understand well, you mean when changing icon theme ?
If so, yes indeed with some icon themes, the others are fine though.
You may want to install some other icon themes from synaptic.

Fred