Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Jan 2020, 05:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 36 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:06    Post subject:  

Hi backi.

Quote:
I am also using your - SFS-Portable Tool ( in Menu > Applications> Module Tools ) a lot .
Quite handy !

Well, in fact the SFS-Portable Tool is very similar, specially when using 'Chroot Mode'
The 'create-portable' tool goes one step further by creating just one executable file.

Quote:
Just fiddled a bit with this " create-portable " ...what shall i say.....cooooooollll... Idea Laughing Very Happy Very Happy

Haha, glad you like it Smile
Any issues? or tips for improving to be more user friendly etc..? And how you used it? (Chroot mode, Portablelinuxapps mode)

Fred

dancytron

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 12:15    Post subject: Re: to clarify things, about outdoor , laptops and XenialDog  

Pelo wrote:
People want to give an opinion, here joined Shocked

Apparently this is a known ubuntu issue. Unfortunately, it seems you need to recompile the driver.

Instructions here.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reserve-7

See these threads for more info.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/471208/realtek-wireless-adapter-issues-rtl8192ce-and-rtl8192cu

https://adamscheller.com/systems-administration/rtl8192cu-fix-wifi/

If you google "rtl8192cu ubuntu driver" you'll find many more links and some bug reports.
backi

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 12:21    Post subject:  

Hi fred !

First Tests with your " create-portable" app looks really exiting/promising .
Looks like a new Highlight of your Creatitvity ...........

Category :
"Award for Tools the World is waiting for " .

As i said .....just testing ... .. fantastico !!!

Only tried "Chroot Mode " so far ( in Xenial Dog ) ......now i am going to test if this apps created in Xenial Dog will work in other Distros too ......some seem to do ......others seem to do not .....

Quote:
Didn't share yet because I didn't take the time yet to test on different puppies (works ok for me on 32-bit DebianDog and XenialDog

and :
Quote:
maybe I'll open new thread later in Additional Software after more testing)
So since you mentioned about portable-apps you may be interested in this.

Fairly delighted about this Idea ! If more people become aware of this Tool ( and testing it ) the easier Experiences could be shared .
Cause i am a Maniac when to avoid installing things,Apps;Programs.....this is my kind of Stuff .

For Example:
A LibreOffice created in Xenial Dog did not work in Debian Dog Sid....

Maybe we could create a kind of Repository for Portable Apps as a kind of " Community Project " .... Idea just fantasizing.. Very Happy

Keep on rocking fred Very Happy
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 14:09    Post subject:  

Thanks backi !

Quote:
Only tried "Chroot Mode " so far ( in Xenial Dog ) ......now i am going to test if this apps created in Xenial Dog will work in other Distros too ......some seem to do ......others seem to do not .....

It's too much to expect that a appimage created in some distro would always work in any other distro.
But I think it's nice already when running 'create-portable' in one distro from (extracted) SFS to create 'working' appimages only for that particular distro.

It depends on the user creativity and/or efforts taken to make a appimage work in some distro that's created in another distro, to demonstrate what I mean, the following example of what I did:
- In DD64-Jessie I used apt2sfs > audacious and created audacious-portable from the audacious directory, OK works fine.
- then I tried if audacious-portable works in XenialDog64, but didn't run, why not? one library missing: libopenjpeg.so.5 (noticed that from message when running the appimage from terminal)
- so I downloaded package libopenjpeg5, extracted it and added (copied) the library files libopenjpeg* to the directory audacious/usr/lib/ and re-created appimage 'audacious-portable' (this time clicking 'Skip' button, since the 'AppRun' script and the other required files were already there)
- and voila, it works on XenialDog64 also now!

I realize this is for advanced users only, but I'm thinking anyway to make improvement, at least to add to the program: if one or more libraries are missing to show a popup GUI that gives exact info about why the program doesn't run, which libraries are missing, but not sure how yet.
To be continued Smile

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 14:21; edited 1 time in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 14:18    Post subject: how i could understand a process to compile with Linux ?  

Ah merci pour avoir pris en compte mon message. About compiling drivers, i even don't speak a correct English, how i could understand a process to compile with Linux ? And my request is not individual . Until now we have a compiler for Puppy Linux, but for Puppy only, not for the Dogs.
One of Os builders must compile for thousands of users.
If with Puppy every user is root, no difference, that does not mean the users automatically able to be root. Learn Linux if not just install the OS. Years of study are necessary. And you know that.
Smile But i know how to boot XenialDog and make persitance , i am not so bad
Bonne soirée, chers apprentis

Last edited by Pelo on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 14:31; edited 2 times in total
backi

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 14:27    Post subject:  

Hi fred !

Quote:
Quote:

It's too much to expect that a appimage created in some distro would always work in any other distro.
But I think it's nice already when running 'create-portable' in one distro from (extracted) SFS to create 'working' appimages only for that particular distro.

I think it does work from extracted debs or pets too .....Correct ???

Quote:
I realize this is for advanced users only, but I'm thinking anyway to make improvement, at least to add to the program: if one or more libraries are missing to show a popup GUI that gives exact info about why the program doesn't run, which libraries are missing, but not sure how yet.
To be continued

Sounds exciting !

But you gave a basic Tool to the " Masses " to do further Testing ......that`s fine .
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 14:45    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
I think it does work from extracted debs or pets too .....Correct ???

Probably works only in some cases, with very simple programs, but I think mostly not because most debs or pets depend on other files to be present in the system, so then you need to add these dependencies to the <appdir-root> directory. Creating appimage from SFS's is the best way to go IMHO.

Fred

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 15:32    Post subject:  

Pelo wrote:
Until now we have a compiler for Puppy Linux, but for Puppy only, not for the Dogs

There's DEVX module for XenialDog (as you could have noticed by reading first post) and btw, also all other "Dogs" have DEVX available.

XenialDog DEVX: 61-DEVX-XenialDog32-2017-01-18.squashfs:
https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/releases/download/v1.0/61-DEVX-XenialDog32-2017-01-18.squashfs

And from Synaptic you can install everything required for compiling also.

Fred

Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 03:16    Post subject: famous puppy builders tried and failed to compile drivers.  

pa pa pa.... even famous puppy builders tried and failed to compile.
I supposed that in the dog team one would able to do that. None ?
Only rcrsn51 and Medor can do it for Puppy Linux, none of the users did it himself until now. Personally i am unable to understand process ( I tried wit light puppies as Slacko)
To progress on the matter, it would exist a kernel serie 4 working in puppy linux and no need to compile anything for wireless antennas.
You shall keep in mind that Puppy Linux consider Dogs as enemies trying to get puppy ridiculous. If Puppy staff must help you to do it... in Puppy forum.
: A good choice for k4.x kernels would be 8188eu. So buy antennas for which Unbuntu gives a model using this kernel.
Ubuntu provides its passengers a table showing which dongles to buy to really play Linux on a laptop with antennas.If you fail with Ubuntu, try the little Puppy !
Ubuntu.jpg
 Description   Ubuntu analysis
 Filesize   41.08 KB
 Viewed   370 Time(s)

Ubuntu.jpg

backi

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 09:51    Post subject:  

Hi all ! Hi fred !
There is in MX-Linux a tool to make an Iso from a Snapshot of the running Sytem .MX-Snapshot.
There seems to be a similar thing too in Debian-Dog in usr/local/bin ......live-snapshot.........snap-make ....but i dont know how to handle......

If a thing like this (MX-snapshot) could be avalaiable in Deb-Dog and Xenial-Dog .....would be fine ......
What do you ( all ) think ?
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 12:01    Post subject:  

Hi backi,

Quote:
There is in MX-Linux a tool to make an Iso from a Snapshot of the running Sytem .MX-Snapshot.
There seems to be a similar thing too in Debian-Dog in usr/local/bin ......live-snapshot.........snap-make ....but i dont know how to handle......

If a thing like this (MX-snapshot) could be avalaiable in Deb-Dog and Xenial-Dog .....would be fine ......
What do you ( all ) think ?

The snap-make and live-snapshot shouldn't be in latest DD (sorry, should have deleted this left-over from older versions), in older DD it worked because of the option to use live-boot-2 which is not supported in my latest DD.
If I remember well, live-snapshot was sort of (special) replacement for a savefile.

About MX-snapshot, I don't know what it does, is it different from making remaster?

Fred

backi

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 12:11    Post subject:  

Hi fred !

Quote:
About MX-snapshot, I don't know what it does, is it different from making remaster?

Think it makes an (live?)- Iso from the running System .
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 12:31    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Hi fred !

Quote:

Think it makes an (live?)- Iso from the running System .

Hi again backi !

Well, perhaps it would be possible to make the remaster tools in DD or XD go one step further by making new ISO, is that what you suggest maybe?

Fred

backi

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 12:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
Well, perhaps it would be possible to make the remaster tools in DD or XD go one step further by making new ISO, is that what you suggest maybe?

Yes ....that`s correct fred !
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr 2017, 13:56    Post subject:  

backi wrote:
Quote:

Yes ....that`s correct fred !

Ah, that's clear now, there were more requests in the past for that (option for creating new ISO after remaster), so I'll think about it.

P.S.: New versions of 'create-portable' uploaded, added info-GUI about missing libraries in case the program won't run, see EDIT2 here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=950975#950975

EDIT: For the first time I tested create-portable on a Puppy, x-tahr, used extracted to directory gimp-2.8 pet to make a gimp-portable appimage and runs OK from what I tested Smile
EDIT2: And... this same gimp-portable appimage works on XenialDog also!

Fred

Page 36 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: