XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Max Headroom

#466 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx Guys 4 Your Help, that part is Working Now, Altho if I've Booted into title XenialDog - porteus-boot in RAM - changes=/changes folder, Session, I'm Not sure that I understand, How I can Change that On the Fly?

So Now I've got the OS Updated & Most of the Programs installed that I Need eXcept that Chrome or rather Chromium, Refuses 2 Run as Root! How Do I Work around this? Please

Also I've Changed the Wallpaper on 1 Desktop, But it Changed on Both, I Really Need them 2 be independently Changable, How can this be Done? Please

:)K

backi

#467 Post by backi »

Hi Max !
Thanx Guys 4 Your Help, that part is Working Now, Altho if I've Booted into title XenialDog - porteus-boot in RAM - changes=/changes folder, Session, I'm Not sure that I understand, How I can Change that On the Fly?
Do not understand what you are looking for...... a bit confusing....what change on the fly ?

About separate Wallpapers on two Desktops ......don`t know .....which Desktop Enviroment are you using ...Jwm?.....OpenBox ?

Could you please post your whole menu.lst -----not just a fragment ...

dancytron

#468 Post by dancytron »

Max Headroom wrote:Thanx Guys 4 Your Help, that part is Working Now, Altho if I've Booted into title XenialDog - porteus-boot in RAM - changes=/changes folder, Session, I'm Not sure that I understand, How I can Change that On the Fly?

So Now I've got the OS Updated & Most of the Programs installed that I Need eXcept that Chrome or rather Chromium, Refuses 2 Run as Root! How Do I Work around this? Please

Also I've Changed the Wallpaper on 1 Desktop, But it Changed on Both, I Really Need them 2 be independently Changable, How can this be Done? Please

Here is a link for how I set up Chrome on Debian Dog 64.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 815#919815

Note that Chrome hasn't been updating its 32 bit version for several months. If you want to use Chrome, you probably ought to be using a 64 bit version.

edit: Download the readme.txt file at the link. I've attached the two scripts it refers to.
Attachments
chrome-root.sh.gz
remove .gz to use
(181 Bytes) Downloaded 112 times
chrome-puppy.sh.gz
rename to remove .gz to use
(193 Bytes) Downloaded 124 times

Max Headroom

#469 Post by Max Headroom »

Thanx backi

Sorry about Confusing yoU, I Don't have Any intentions of making or saving Changes On the Fly, it's just that I must have Misunderstood what yoU & Fred were saying.

The Desktop eNvironment is the Default, OpenBox I Guess? Judging by those Menu items under Settings & Advanced Settings.

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.7
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 5
default 5

title XenialDog - porteus-boot Always Fresh
uuid 5c387258-82bd-4a25-822d-fbbfd086f08d
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz

title XenialDog - porteus-boot in RAM (no save)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ copy2ram

title XenialDog - porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=/changes folder
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto changes=EXIT:/

title XenialDog - porteus-boot - in RAM save on EXIT changes=/changes.dat file
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto copy2ram changes=EXIT:/changes.dat

title XenialDog - porteus-boot - changes=/mnt/sda1/casper/changes.dat file
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=/mnt/sda1/casper/changes.dat file

title XenialDog - porteus-boot in RAM - changes=/changes folder
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/

title Reboot computer
reboot

title XenialDog - casper-boot no-persistent
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

title XenialDog - casper-boot persistent (in casper-rw file or partition)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs persistent
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

Sorry I wasn't allowed 2 Post Me Menu.lst File as an Attachment!

BTW I didn't think that Open Box was Compositing... should it work w/ Compiz?

Thanx dancytron 4 Your interest & Feedback, Actually I'm Hoping 2 Do an Updated Remastered ChromeBook like Pup similar 2 ETP, eXcept that Unfortunately I couldn't install ChildsPlay, GCompris & wRiteType on His Version, All of which have Successfully installed on this XenialDog which itself does have a nice Look & Feel, However My intention is 2 give it a Comfy Old Slippers ChromeBook Look & Feel as ETP did.

I Plan 2 install this on Disowned 7 - 14 Year Old PCs, hence the Requirement of 32 bit Chrome & of course it's Great that this is a LTS Release. I haven't Yet implemented Your instructions 2 get Chrome going, I'll let yoU know how it goes.

Meantime if AnyBody knows about How 2 have independent Desktop Wallpapers, Please Share it...

Thanx 4 Your Support Guys!

Max Headroom

#470 Post by Max Headroom »

BTW dancytron, the Last 32 bit Chrome I could Find was 42

Re Step 7. in Your ReadMe Procedure, I'm Happy 2 Keep Firefox as a Secondary Alternative Browser & Not Uninstall or Delete, should I instead Edit sum other File & if so which 1 & Where? Please

& Step 10. Save2Flash Refuses 2 Stick 2 the Desktop! & Wouldn't save the Session Data!

Obviously ChromeBook has Loads of Google Dependencies so I'm "Addicted" 2 that :lol: :shock: :wink:

Alas a Necessary Evil!

dancytron

#471 Post by dancytron »

Max Headroom wrote:BTW dancytron, the Last 32 bit Chrome I could Find was 42

Re Step 7. in Your ReadMe Procedure, I'm Happy 2 Keep Firefox as a Secondary Alternative Browser & Not Uninstall or Delete, should I instead Edit sum other File & if so which 1 & Where? Please

& Step 10. Save2Flash Refuses 2 Stick 2 the Desktop! & Wouldn't save the Session Data!

Obviously ChromeBook has Loads of Google Dependencies so I'm "Addicted" 2 that :lol: :shock: :wink:

Alas a Necessary Evil!

The only important thing is the two scripts that have the correct command line to make Chrome run as root (or as puppy from root).

The save2flash script only works for Porteus boot when you are setup to save on exit only. If you are aren't set up that way, it doesn't do anything.

If you are not going to uninstall firefox, then all you should need to do is install Chrome (and gksu if you are going to run as puppy) and then use one of the two scripts to start it.

I don't have it in front of me, but if you aren't using the JWM desktop, I think you put the icons on the desktop by right clicking and then choosing send to desktop. If not, you need to manually create a link from the script to the /root/desktop folder.

If you are happy with local html files opening in firefox, you can skip that part too.

All the setting icons stuff is obviously optional too if the default icons are okay for you.

fredx181

#472 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Max,

Since I understand that you chose using changes folder /changes , I would advice to change your menu.lst to this:

Code: Select all

# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.7
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 5
default 5

title XenialDog - porteus-boot  - changes=/changes folder
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=/

title XenialDog - porteus-boot - save on exit /changes folder
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/

title XenialDog - porteus-boot Always Fresh
kernel /casper/vmlinuz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy

title Reboot computer
reboot 
The first will save all changes automatically during a session (no prompt at shutdown to save or not because already saved while running the system)

The second (with the EXIT), at shutdown you'll be asked to save the session or not and also you can use "save2flash" in the middle of a session.

The third "Always fresh" will not save the session, so all changes will be lost.

About your question for different wallpaper on each workspace:
By default it's not possible with Openbox, but there may be some workarounds you can try, e.g. see here (but I didn't test):
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=657
You might find more when doing a Google search

Hope this helps.

Fred

dancytron

#473 Post by dancytron »

This link has Chrome 32 bit linux version 48. I am 99% sure that was the last version.

https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-c ... ersion.php

fredx181

#474 Post by fredx181 »

Related to earlier conversations in this thread about HowTo accomplish making porteus-boot possilbe on a DebianLive system:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 098#948098

Fred

fredx181

#475 Post by fredx181 »

XenialDog32 download amount average of +/- 40 times a day! Not bad! :)
(if I calculated right, late in the evening here now)
XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso, downloads: 2340

XenialDog64 much less:
XenialDog_64bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso, downloads: 1537

Fred

Pelo

users could feed back a little more !

#476 Post by Pelo »

Users could feed back a little more ! there is an huge difference nowadays about what subjects make the forum and how our OS are used... Users are a little bit frightened by the forum
Personaly xenialDog makes what i need, wireless, Packages, saving are working perfectly. Devs are so busy that we don't want to disturb.
Attachments
lapromo.jpg
helped by some friends of mine, we shall release a video for french users.
(34.1 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#477 Post by backi »

Hi !
Does anybody know how to auto-mount in Xenial a Drive Partition on boot up ?

fredx181

#478 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi !
Just one partition? or is it OK for you also to auto-mount all partitions?
Just one needs some simple script (or configuration) and for auto-mount all (if porteus-boot used) simply leave out the 'noauto' parameter from the kernel (boot) line.

Fred

Max Headroom

#479 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day Guys, I heard yoUs Mist Me, so I'm back :)

Dancytron, I've installed Chrome 48 32bit from the Link that yoU Posted, Thanx, But I Guess that I Misunderstood your ReadMe instructions re How 2 handle the 2 Scripts, in Fact I'm rather Unfamiliar w/ How 2 Apply them All together... From the Desktop Chrome-Puppy.sh I Opened as Txt & then Copied All & Pasted into the ROXTerm & Ran, Same w/ Chrome-Root.sh, then Chrome Opened, is that How it's Supposed 2 Work?

Fred, I Think I've installed the Required Script & feh, Thanx 4 the Link, But I can't find the Location / Path of the Desktop Wallpaper Backgrounds...

Next I'll Edit Me Menu.lst File, including the Fantom mention...

title No M$ Virus Bait! & Test

Thanx again 4 All your Help Puppy People

zagreb999

packit tool with lz4

#480 Post by zagreb999 »

packit tool with lz4

backi
in xfce version automount
is perfect...

does anybody can use packit tool with
lz4 compress in DD32?

backi

#481 Post by backi »

Hi fred !

Hi !
for auto-mount all (if porteus-boot used) simply leave out the 'noauto' parameter from the kernel (boot) line.
Is O.K. !!

Hi zagreb !

Where to find auto-mount in Xenial Dog ?

fredx181

#482 Post by fredx181 »

Max Headroom wrote:Fred, I Think I've installed the Required Script & feh, Thanx 4 the Link, But I can't find the Location / Path of the Desktop Wallpaper Backgrounds...
They are in /opt/docs/pictures

Good Luck!

Fred

dancytron

#483 Post by dancytron »

Max Headroom wrote:G'day Guys, I heard yoUs Mist Me, so I'm back :)

Dancytron, I've installed Chrome 48 32bit from the Link that yoU Posted, Thanx, But I Guess that I Misunderstood your ReadMe instructions re How 2 handle the 2 Scripts, in Fact I'm rather Unfamiliar w/ How 2 Apply them All together... From the Desktop Chrome-Puppy.sh I Opened as Txt & then Copied All & Pasted into the ROXTerm & Ran, Same w/ Chrome-Root.sh, then Chrome Opened, is that How it's Supposed 2 Work?

Fred, I Think I've installed the Required Script & feh, Thanx 4 the Link, But I can't find the Location / Path of the Desktop Wallpaper Backgrounds...

Next I'll Edit Me Menu.lst File, including the Fantom mention...

title No M$ Virus Bait! & Test

Thanx again 4 All your Help Puppy People

Well, that's one way I guess.

I am in Debian Dog 64, but it should be the same. Copy the scripts somewhere convenient. Open the file manager and right click on each file. Choose properties then Permissions. Change execute to "anyone" (see attached). Now you can just click on them to launch Chrome.

I use the Rox desktop, so I can just drag them to the desktop to make a short cut. I think on the other desktops, it is on the right click menu, something like Send To: then Desktop.
Attachments
debdog-20170321103201.jpg
(30.77 KiB) Downloaded 809 times

backi

#484 Post by backi »

Hi !
Does anybody know where/how to get Abiword 2.8.6 for Xenial Dog ? ......

Abiword 3.X.x from Repository is not usable .

fredx181

#485 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi !
Does anybody know where/how to get Abiword 2.8.6 for Xenial Dog ? ......

Abiword 3.X.x from Repository is not usable .
Not sure if it's any good (in all aspects), but you can try this SFS:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/uty ... c.squashfs

Fred