Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 9 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 25 May 2016, 14:38    Post subject:  

Hi Stemsee,

Quote:
I have updated the logic for discovering wlan0 / 1 interface name in wifi-connect.

I tested it on XenialDog, Wheezy, Jessie and FatDog. Connects very quickly, with no faffing about!

Welcome to try.

If you really like to contribute, can you at least give info on what's all needed (to do) besides the scripts in the .pet?
I see (when running wifi-connect from terminal) lots of errors, specially about non-existing directories, files, and it just doesn't work for me connecting to wireless.

Fred
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 25 May 2016, 16:00    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
... not as user-friendly ...

I guess that depends on your definition of "less friendly". Is it having to spend a few minutes to learn how a new program works? Or is it having a program that won't work for you and there is no easy way to fix it?

Quote:
Btw, in case you don't know: to have the old interface names e.g. wlan0, just add to kernel boot line:
Code:
net.ifnames=0

Does that bit of information qualify as "user-friendly"?
screenie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   52.31 KB
 Viewed   882 Time(s)

screenie.png

stemsee

PostPosted: Wed 25 May 2016, 16:54    Post subject:  

Sorry.

script doesn't check for deps: "ifplugd" yad wpa_supplicant dhcpcd "openssl" ifconfig iwlist mksquashfs coreutils

After activating wifi-connect.pet.sfs module as chroot full
Call wifi-connect in term or from menu.

First the script checks to see if encrypted profiles exist
Code:
$HOME/.wifi-connect.sfs.bfe

script asks for en/de-cryption password. It decrypts it and un-squashes it to give
Code:
$HOME/.wifi-connect/profiles
, this dir tree will be created if not found.

Next the script finds wifi interface for use in variable $int

Code:
wlanfn () {
wit=`ifconfig -a | cut -f1 -d ' ' | grep 'wl' | cut -f1 -d ' '`
case $wit in
wlan0) int=wlan0;;
wlan1) int=wlan1;;
wls0) int=wls0;;
wls1) int=wls1;;
wlp3s0) int=wlp3s0;;
wlp3s1) int=wlp3s1;;
usb0) int=usb0;;
esac
wit2=`ifconfig -a | cut -f1 -d ' ' | grep 'wl' | tr '\n' ' ' | cut -f24 -d ' '`
case $wit2 in
wlan1) int2=wlan1;;
wls2) int2=wls2;;
wlp3s1) int2=wlp3s1;;
usb0) int2=usb0;;
usb1) int2=usb1;;
*) int2="insert 2nd card";;
esac
}
wlanfn

Interface and system is cleared of ip leases etc (code taken from various places including from rcrsn51 and BK sns.
Code:
startinfn () {
rm -f /tmp/onclick
rm -f /tmp/scans*
yad --undecorated --no-buttons --skip-taskbar --text "$mytext" --timeout 2 &
CURRENTIPS=$(ip addr show | grep $int | grep inet | awk '{print $2}') #rcrsn51
for I in $CURRENTIPS; do ip addr del $I dev $int; done #rcrsn51
ifconfig $int down
killall -9 wpa_supplicant
rm -f /var/run/wpa_supplicant/*
killall -9 dhcpcd
rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info
rm -f /var/run/dhcpcd*.pid
rm -f /var/db/dhcpcd-${int}.lease
rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-${int}.lease
ip route flush dev $int
}

Next a scan is performed with $int and APs are listed in $scanrs
Code:
wlanscanfn () {
ifconfig "$int" up
scanrs=`iwlist $int scan | grep 'ESSID' | rev | cut -f1 -d ':' | rev | tr " " "#"`
for e in `seq 1 1 30`
do
SPR=`echo $scanrs | cut -f"$e" -d ' '`
SRP="sr$e=$SPR"
   if [ ! -z "$SPR" ]; then
      echo "$SRP" >> /tmp/scansr
      sed -i 's/#/ /g' /tmp/scansr
   fi
done
}

The yad gui is self explanatory I think. Use drop down box to select AP and click ok.

Yad info boxes will then inform as connection and ip address is made.

A yad tray icon with notifications and menu will appear after ip address has been obtained.

I will provide a picture step by step shortly,
xendog-20160526055753.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  xendog-20160526055753.jpg 
Filesize  55.74 KB 
Downloaded  260 Time(s) 
xendog-20160526055906.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   29.78 KB
 Viewed   746 Time(s)

xendog-20160526055906.jpg

xendog-20160526060601.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  xendog-20160526060601.jpg 
Filesize  128.88 KB 
Downloaded  257 Time(s) 
xendog-20160526061733.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  xendog-20160526061733.jpg 
Filesize  110.66 KB 
Downloaded  238 Time(s) 

Last edited by stemsee on Thu 26 May 2016, 04:41; edited 1 time in total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 25 May 2016, 19:07    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

That's bad! , no way to get into X ?

Can you test attached porteusbootscripts..deb ? (remove fake .tar)
Just install it before you save on Exit and see if this solves it after reboot.
It's downgrade of scripts for porteus-boot (I recently changed these a little).

Edit: Not sure if you tried previous iso release also, if so, you had this problem also?

Fred

Hi Fred,

As I think I said: I can get into X. The system hangs at command line during boot but comes to a root prompt. On entering startx, I successfully then get into X and all works fine thereafter but problem remains on each boot.

I've now tried the downgrade porteus-boot scripts you supplied but made no difference I'm afraid. I did use the original iso earlier, but it was a quick test at the time and I can't remember if I tried save2flash and rebooting thereafter - it would be good to try again but I've already deleted the original iso because my system is running out of space. Do you still have a copy of that so I could try it?

As for frisbee and PeasyWIFI... The nice thing about frisbee is that, when working correctly, the scan window immediately fills up with detected wireless lans and all you need to do is highlight the one you want, press Connect button and enter your password. So I agee, it is nice and automatic and user-friendly.

PeasyWIFI is working very well for me on XenialDog, and personally I now quite like the manual steps involved getting wifi to connect since at least you know what is going on when there is a problem - but certainly the steps given by the Help instructions are not so user-friendly as the frisbee mechanisms (and the first time I ever tried PeasyWIFI I also couldn't get it to work because I hadn't read the Help...). I'm afraid users nowadays tend not to read Help topics much - and without reading that, PeasyWIFI is tricky to work out (of course we SHOULD read the provided Help, but that's life...). I certainly like PeasyWIFI much more than frisbee in terms of code readability and structure and it is actively maintained by its author, which is a big plus IMO (in addition to the fact it has worked for me when frisbee hasn't...).

I still haven't tried stemsee's offering yet - I'm curious again how user-friendly it will be, but I've had an android phone issue (oh the pains of technology) that has taken me away temporarily from working on XenialDog. Back to that later.

William

mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2016, 01:58    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

I suddenly realised that I don't think I've tried Frisbee since I downloaded that newer firmware for my wireless card needs... Won't help my X problem on booting and may not help frisbee on my machine either, but worth a try for frisbee. I think iwlwifi may be quite a common driver so fetching the newer firmware may be important for many. I'll report back once I try frisbee with it.

William

mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2016, 03:23    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

No, new iwlwifi code didn't help frisbee on my machine.

The downgraded porteus boot scripts didn't change anything either.

Still having the same failing to enter X immediately on boot - instead ends on root prompt. Entering startx thereafter correctly starts up X and all works fine from that point on (with PeasyWIFI on autoconnect, for which I do need the new iwlwifi firmware).

Strange though how the system boots fine into X on my machine with a clean install (still using Porteus boot). Indeed it seems to boot into X successfully even after one save2flash session (maybe even two) but after a couple of save2flash sessions it consistently shows that fail to boot into X immediately issue. I wonder if it is something to do with some kind of delay related to union. I should try it with alternative boot method, but too busy now - will try that later sometime. At least I can get into X, via startx, and continue testing the system successfully.

Edit: I hope MintPup will be maintained and further developed, but if not I'm hoping to move my MintPup systems (two of my family, also using SD card/no harddrive HP 2530p Elitebooks, are on MintPup presently) over to XenialDog, since that would fill that void, though of course I'd prefer to avoid the startx issue. (EDIT: In case you wondered, my own HP Elitebook does have a harddrive and I'm running XenialDog frugal from that).

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2016, 16:07    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I guess that depends on your definition of "less friendly". Is it having to spend a few minutes to learn how a new program works?

Yes, I personally don't mind learning, but I'm just afraid that less advanced users are not able to make it work (who are used to just clicking on the network profile, click 'Connect' and enter password.)
(as it is with e.g. frisbee, network-manager-gnome or wicd)
PeasyWIFI works without problems for me, BTW.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2016, 16:15    Post subject:  

Stemsee wrote:
Sorry.

script doesn't check for deps: "ifplugd" yad wpa_supplicant dhcpcd "openssl" ifconfig iwlist mksquashfs coreutils

Thanks for the info Stemsee, I'm busy with other things now but will test wifi-connect again soon.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 26 May 2016, 16:40    Post subject:  

Hi William,

Quote:
As I think I said: I can get into X. The system hangs at command line during boot but comes to a root prompt. On entering startx, I successfully then get into X and all works fine thereafter but problem remains on each boot.

Ok, I think I see, autologin works but auto startx doesn't, very strange. (not sure. I thought you wrote about crashing X, which could be a different problem maybe)
It's just done the same as in DebianDog, the last block in /etc/profile:

Code:
if [ -z "${DISPLAY}" ] && [ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]
then
sleep 1
startx
fi

I have no clue why it doesn't work for you after save2flash > reboot.

You might try to cut/paste the above code to ~/.profile and see what happens.
EDIT: Also worth to test saving without EXIT:/ parameter.
But no hurry, when you have time. I'm glad you are testing anyway Smile

Quote:
I've now tried the downgrade porteus-boot scripts you supplied but made no difference I'm afraid. I did use the original iso earlier, but it was a quick test at the time and I can't remember if I tried save2flash and rebooting thereafter - it would be good to try again but I've already deleted the original iso because my system is running out of space. Do you still have a copy of that so I could try it

It's here:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/XenialDog/XenialDog-openbox_jwm-2016-04-30.iso

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 00:49    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

Code:
if [ -z "${DISPLAY}" ] && [ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]
then
sleep 1
startx
fi

I have no clue why it doesn't work for you after save2flash > reboot.

Hi Fred,

I haven't tried your other suggestions as yet, but all boots fine if I up the above sleep value to 3 (2 still to short).

I've attached a jpeg of the screenshot I get with default sleep 1.

William

EDIT: Leaving the /etc/profile at sleep 1 but using the same code to come later in ~/.profile the system boots into X (though for a second I do see the error screen flash by. Of course ~/.profile comes later in boot process so startx would be likely to work in these circumstances I guess. It seems to me that something to do with the unionfs must cause a delay such that /etc/profile startx is read too soon before X probe completes (or fails on my machine maybe...). But at least I can get it all booting successfully now so no real problem I guess.
WilliamBootProblemSleep1.jpg
Description  boot halting when sleep 1 used in /etc/profile prior to startx
jpg

Download 
Filename  WilliamBootProblemSleep1.jpg 
Filesize  245.53 KB 
Downloaded  260 Time(s) 

mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 03:41    Post subject:  

Hi again Fred,

With reference to my last post, I am currently posting from the old iso you gave me the link to (though with my including rfkill in /sbin). What I would say is the good news is that exactly the same boot up error occurs with it (as in the error photo I uploaded in last post).

Once again, after the first save2flash, the system still boots into X without issue, but after another save2flash boot stops at a root prompt as in above post (after purging frisbee, which continued to give problems, and installing and setting up PeasyWIFI, which works fine as long as I configure it to know my interface is wls1 rather than wlan0).

I suspect it is something to do with probing X failing and startx being called too quickly after that issue. Probing X often seems to fail on my machine more generally, including with TahrPuppy and other distributions.

I guess it isn't a big problem, but some computers may need that extra delay before startx too (or in your try suggestion, simply issuing startx command in ~/.profile, which probably has same delay effect - I'll check effect in there with no sleep value at all, rather than tried sleep 1, and report back).

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 12:05    Post subject:  

William wrote:
I suspect it is something to do with probing X failing and startx being called too quickly after that issue. Probing X often seems to fail on my machine more generally, including with TahrPuppy and other distributions.

I guess it isn't a big problem, but some computers may need that extra delay before startx too (or in your try suggestion, simply issuing startx command in ~/.profile, which probably has same delay effect - I'll check effect in there with no sleep value at all, rather than tried sleep 1, and report back).

Thanks William, maybe a premature conclusion, but it's looks like that it's a better choice to have the auto-startx code in ~/.profile (instead /etc/profile) in future iso releases.

I've been working on modified ceni network-manager package (has ncurses interface) to make it work together with network_tray and will display the gtkdialog-splash messages (I recompiled network_tray without the bottom menu option enable/disable network), the option "Setup networking" from tray right-click menu will run ceni. Also from Menu > Network > Ceni
From what I tested, I think it's reliable, light and easy to use. Nice alternative for frisbee IMO.
Added to Xenialdog custom repository, install:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install ceni

Or from synaptic (first click 'Reload' button)
Or download and install this .deb:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36381953/XenialDog/Packages/Extra/ceni_2.31_all.deb

The original package (from which I modified) is here:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog-Jessie/Packages/Extra/ceni_2.31_all.deb

Edit: I thought doing good (from postinst in deb package) by keeping at least cabled connection intact after installing ceni, and it does for me, but after reboot with save, I notice now there's no cabled connection ( e.g. ens1 or eth0), but configuring it from ceni makes it connect fine then (and stays connected after reboot).

Edit2:
Found a strange side-effect after installing ceni:
After that conky isn't updating anymore, just static view, which is useless then for monitoring of course.
It's stuck on trying to execute wget -O - http://ip.tupeux.com, which is down, probably the reason to get stuck (it's under TEXT in config file ~/.conkyrc-port and ~/.conkyrc-live)
I guess it has not to do with ceni itself but also with newer version of dhcpcd (because when I tried this version of dhcpcd with frisbee, the same problem occurs).

Attached conky config files (conkyconfigs.tar.gz) will solve it , replaced 'wget -O - http://ip.tupeux.com' (http address is down) with 'wget -O - -q icanhazip.com &'
Just replace ~/.conkyrc-port and ~/.conkyrc-live with the ones included in the tar.gz

Fred
conkyconfigs.tar.gz
Description  Should solve 'static conky view' after installing ceni
gz

Download 
Filename  conkyconfigs.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.17 KB 
Downloaded  166 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 28 May 2016, 16:27; edited 3 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 13:22    Post subject:  

Hi Stemsee,

Sorry, I really can't make your wifi-connect work, terminal output:
Code:
root@xenial:~# wifi-connect
wpa_supplicant: no process found
dhcpcd: no process found
/usr/sbin/wifi-connect: line 229: /root/.wifi-connect/wifivars: No such file or directory
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Failed to open config file '/root/.wifi-connect/profiles/UPC44685', error: No such file or directory
Failed to read or parse configuration '/root/.wifi-connect/profiles/UPC44685'.
dhcpcd[8244]: version 5.6.4 starting
network_tray: no process found
EXIT="Exit on timeout"
dhcpcd[8244]: no interfaces have a carrier
dhcpcd[8244]: forked to background, child pid 8378

I did install ifplugd and the other dependencies are already installed, frisbee still installed, so using the (in frisbee package included) dhcpcd 5.6.4.

Tried also to install dhcpcd5 (then at the same time frisbee got removed) but then there were even more errors.

I really like your setup with the yad tray icon and right-click menu, so it's a pity that wireless connect won't work for me.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 21:18    Post subject:  

Hello Fred,

Yes, the apt-get install ceni worked for me. I note it needed to install some extra dependencies 'perl expect module' or something like that - seemed a bit heavier than PeasyWIFI but yes it was easy enough to set up as long as the user doesn't get confused with the screens and starts ftrying to enter irrelevant stuff.

As far as stemsee's alternative, I feel the best would be if stemsee himself could load up pristine XenialDog (which I assume he has) and then set up his package to work and create a deb of the working configuration since not being familiar with his scripts needs we could be going round in circles trying to get it to work? I would certainly like to see it in operation to see how user-friendly and reliable it is, but too much work to try and suss it out myself at the moment.

William

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2016, 09:29    Post subject: slitaz wifi-box basically working  

Hi Fred,

Since I rather like the look of Slitaz's simple wifi-box connect interface, I have spent a short while trying to see if I could get it to basically work in XenialDog, which it does (though its Preferences function will need altered to do something useful).

I have attached a tar.gz of all the slitaz files required, which should be untarred from / to put these in correct directories.

EDIT: Note that I first got rid of recent ceni install (frisbee already purged) using:

Code:
apt-get purge ceni

Also, Slitaz uses busybox udhcpc client. This is an optional extra from installed busybox that needs to be downloaded (tiny) using:

Code:
apt-get install udhcpc

Finally, just prior to entering command "wifi-box" in a terminal, for my machine I needed to edit slitaz config file /etc/network.conf to tell it my wireless interface was wls1 (rather than wlan0) - apparently the program should be able to auto-detect correct interface name, but must be something I need extra or to fix to do that. However that manual edit did the job and the wifi lans appeared in the window and double-clicking appropriate one resulted in successful connection.

Note that the current Preferences button tries to load tazpanel (which I have included in the tar.gz) but that needs libwebkitgtk, which is too big for my needs so I didn't include that from slitaz (libwebkitgtk would also need a load of other libs installed). I feel that Preferences button could be used to instead maybe start edit of included slitaz file /etc/network.conf. Of oourse, some other stuff from slitaz tazpanel might be useful, so may yet try this with libwebkit included, but prefering something very light weight for now.

William

EDIT: This is extracted from slitaz-cooking 64bit iso from a few weeks ago. It has no panel network icon as it stands and probably a few rough edges.

Last edited by mcewanw on Sun 29 May 2016, 05:23; edited 2 times in total
Page 9 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: