Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 10 Dec 2019, 13:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2016, 08:54    Post subject: Flakey Frisbee (normally ok on this machine)  

Hi Fred,

I downloaded XenialDog-openbox_jwm-2016-05-21-firmware-all.iso, extracted casper and booted with appropriate grub4dos menu.lst on my HP Elitebook 2530P, which used wireless module iwlwifi and in other DebianDog family members has always worked fine with Frisbee (as long as rfkill installed).

XenialDog booted up fine, so right-clicked on panel network icon and chose "Setup network" to bring up Frisbee configure window. Problem... no wireless lan network came up in my "Scan Results for wsl1" window.

I've tried rebooting several times and repeated the above steps with similar result, but with a couple of random variations:

Sometimes on booting up I find that 'Frisbee 1.2 - Configure Network' comes up with all the buttons greyed out other than Diagnostics and that no wireless lan is being detected in the Scan for wireless networks window. Other times, all the buttons are there but no wireless lan found in the Scan window. When that happens, if I press Diagnostics Button, then Edit Configuration button in resulting "Frisbee-Wireless Diagnostic Tools" window and simply close the resulting pop-up "wpa_supplicant.conf" window, the scanned window (always? - not sure) magically becomes filled with discovered wlans and I can then setun my wls1 interface wireless interface successfully. Once thus setup and save2flash, XenialDog boots fine and wireless works reliably for me.

So the issue seems to be a Flakey Frisbee, which is maybe a good thing on this occasion, since is flakey enough that I can experiment a bit and see if I can find what the problem is.

I'll report back tomorrow when and if I find out more.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 23 May 2016, 17:09    Post subject:  

Hi William,

Quote:
Sometimes on booting up I find that 'Frisbee 1.2 - Configure Network' comes up with all the buttons greyed out other than Diagnostics and that no wireless lan is being detected in the Scan for wireless networks window. Other times, all the buttons are there but no wireless lan found in the Scan window. When that happens, if I press Diagnostics Button, then Edit Configuration button in resulting "Frisbee-Wireless Diagnostic Tools" window and simply close the resulting pop-up "wpa_supplicant.conf" window, the scanned window (always? - not sure) magically becomes filled with discovered wlans and I can then setun my wls1 interface wireless interface successfully.

Nice find! The Edit Configuration button seems to refresh things.
I have also problems finding networks with frisbee, but only sometimes.
The "Restart Networks" button always made the networks appear for me though.

Found some wrong things, BTW, e.g get-status should be get_status in /usr/bin/frisbee.
And some more, to late now for me, bedtime, get back about it later.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 06:23    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

Found some wrong things, BTW, e.g get-status should be get_status in /usr/bin/frisbee.
And some more

Hi Fred,

I can see, like me, you have been undergoing the arduous task of going through the multiple frisbee scripts looking for what might be the problem.

However, as far as I can see there is no get-status function in /usr/bin/frisbee (I think...), only get_status, which matches with the function in /usr/lib/frisbee/func. EDIT: I'm wrong - I see there is get-status wrongly used at line 386 (I did actually also come across that earlier, but forgot about it by looking at so much at once...) I originally thought there were lots of function naming errors like that because for a little while I was wrongly looking at /usr/share/frisbee/func instead of the similar, but different /usr/lib/frisbee/func. As far as my code reading suggested, /usr/share/frisbee/func isn't used at all and nor is the folder /usr/local/Frisbee (which mustn't be renamed '/usr/local/frisbee (lowercase)' or then /usr/share/frisbee/func becomes the used one!!! (crazy...). It is complex/all-over-the-place, so I may be wrong...

I've also been looking at the functions connect, reset_wpa, start_wpa, and /etc/init.d/frisbee. I think this program has maybe been hacked around too much over the years so it is all over the place. Unfortunately, I haven't come across anything particular that would explain the inconsistent results frisbee is giving me when used in XenialDog. Because sometimes works, sometimes partly works (shows the buttons) and sometimes doesn't work (buttons greyed out), I think it is probably timing issue, but I've found it impossible thus far to determine what.

Frisbee seems far too complex, to be honest, for all we need it for. I'm going to try PeasyWifi or whatever it is called - tried that long time ago, and though there were a few issues to using it on DebianDog, they weren't major, and the program is simple in both structure and function, which is what I would prefer - if it will work (it doesn't out of the box call up rfkill though, which I need, but easy enough to arrange - I'll look back DD thread to the time I worked on PeasyWifi and see it it works for me on XenialDog. Kind of given up on frisbee this particular time.

William

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 06:53    Post subject:  

IIRC, the problem with PWF in the "dogs" was dhcpcd. PWF needs it and Frisbee got it from a special package.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 07:04    Post subject:  

It was in MintPup I began work on using PeasyWIFI after finding out how to configure wifi manually per below link:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=855549#855549

rcrsn51 gave us a number of helpful pointers to adapting it for MintPup at that time.

Toni shortly after made a couple of specially crafted PeasyWIFI debs, though I don't seem to have tried the final experimental one he preferred:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=855843#855843

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=856817#856817

I haven't tried yet, but hope that last package by Toni will be usable or easily modified to work in XenialDog. Toni was in top form at that MintPup creation time, and I hope he will be bored and come back soon :-)

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 12:36    Post subject:  

Hi William,

Quote:
As far as my code reading suggested, /usr/share/frisbee/func isn't used at all and nor is the folder /usr/local/Frisbee (which mustn't be renamed '/usr/local/frisbee (lowercase)' or then /usr/share/frisbee/func becomes the used one!!! (crazy...). It is complex/all-over-the-place, so I may be wrong...

Yes, I see it's confusing, there's just a mistake in how it is packaged. /usr/share/frisbee and /usr/local/Frisbee folders both don't belong in the package, yes it's /usr/lib/frisbee/func that is really used.

I strongly suspect that there's a very simple/silly reason which makes that no wireless networks are appearing in the frisbee GUI:

Maybe it has to do with my mouse (or it's maybe because of openbox (or tint2) Edit: same thing on JWM), but when I right click on the network-tray icon I have to hold the mouse button down (right-clicked) to choose one of the menu options e.g. "Setup networking". (move cursor to that option and just then release it)
But.. If I don't hold mouse button down (as most people probably don't) the menu appears a split second but what actually happens: the bottom item "Enable wireless network" is clicked in fact by accident.
From what I tested that makes it bring wpa_state in DISCONNECTED status with the result of showing no networks. (which is wrong of course, see below)

But also... (brings me to a bug I discovered in 'network_tray' because: clicking "Enable wireless network" shouldn't make wpa_state disconnected of course)
The 'network_tray' binary included in frisbee package seems to have a bug, using the network_tray from a .pet from rerwin (downloaded from Frisbee thread) here solves it. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=848715#848715
If a wireless profile has been already made and connected to it, the right-click menu shows now "Disable wireless network" or "Enable wireless network" when previously disabled.
And, most important: it doesn't bring wpa_state in disconnected status when right-clicking the icon (without holding the mouse button) (that is: if no wireless profile is configured yet..., but if there is, it will disconnect or connect the currently configured wireless profile).

Not sure if this will solve your problem (or for anyone else) but anyway I think now some bugs are fixed in frisbee for DebianDog/XenialDog (also some '-' replaced by '_' for some function names in /usr/bin/frisbee and in /usr/lib/frisbee/func) (and included new 'network_tray'). Please test when you have time.

Attached frisbee_1.2-20160524_i386.deb.tar (remove fake .tar)

Appreciated if you work on PeasyWIFI, any alternative is welcome!

Edit:
Quote:
haven't tried yet, but hope that last package by Toni will be usable or easily modified to work in XenialDog. Toni was in top form at that MintPup creation time, and I hope he will be bored and come back soon Smile

Yes, let's hope so, so far I haven't got a reply from PM message I had send to him.

Fred
frisbee_1.2-20160524_i386.deb.tar
Description  Bug fixes for frisbee wireless manager
tar

Download 
Filename  frisbee_1.2-20160524_i386.deb.tar 
Filesize  86.26 KB 
Downloaded  168 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 24 May 2016, 16:24; edited 3 times in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 15:57    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
IIRC, the problem with PWF in the "dogs" was dhcpcd. PWF needs it and Frisbee got it from a special package.

dhcpcd is included in the Frisbee .deb package (provides /usr/sbin/dhcpcd)
I'd say just include the same dhcpcd in PWF package to make it resolve the dependency of it.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 16:32    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

Maybe it has to do with my mouse (or it's maybe because of openbox (or tint2) Edit: same thing on JWM), but when I right click on the network-tray icon I have to hold the mouse button down (right-clicked) to choose one of the menu options e.g. "Setup networking". (move cursor to that option and just then release it)
But.. If I don't hold mouse button down (as most people probably don't) the menu appears a split second but what actually happens: the bottom item "Enable wireless network" is clicked in fact by accident.

Hi Fred,

Yes, I already noticed the mouse issue and also hold mouse down when right-clicking and choose menu item Setup networking prior to releasing - doesn't fix my frisbee problems though. I'll try your new frisbee deb though.

I will try Peasy WIFI, but looks like Toni did a lot inside it including stuff to do with systemd, which I know nothing about. Hope it will work out of the box but since was for MintPup I doubt it will be immediately ready for XenialDog.

Cheers, William

stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 17:45    Post subject:  

Frisbee has always been unreliable for me, no matter which distro. I use my own simple wifi-connect with xenialdog and it never fails!

I don't know why Fred doesn't write his own app from scratch, like rcrsn51!? The more the merrier!!
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 17:56    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

The new frisbee deb fixed the right-click icon issue, but otherwise problem is the same (including greyed out buttons for Connect and Restart Networks etc). I had to issue command:

Code:
/etc/init.d/frisbee restart

from the commandline and then go back into Frisbee config manager by right-click icon. Acually I think I not only used restart at commandline, but first a stop, then a start, then a stop again, followed by restart. I expect restart alone would have been enough though. After then pressing Connect button in Frisbee gui window and entering password, I still had to wait for quite a while before the IP address was obtained, but that latter behaviour is pretty normal.

Yes, a simpler wifi connect script would be easier to maintain.

William

mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 19:32    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,

Good news is the deb of PeasyWIFI-experimental-one Toni made, worked on my first test in XenialDog:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=856817#856817

I apt-get purge frisbee first before installing the deb. The only problem with it, in tests, is that you have to manually supply it with some information such as the name of the wifi INTERFACE, before scan and connecting. If I don't do that it tried wlan0 but on my machine XenialDog renames the wifi interface to wls1. If I hadn't known that, as a user, I would have had trouble - and also users would have to read the PeasyWIFI provided help very carefully and follow the various first-time steps very carefully. After that, it should autoconnect, but I haven't been able to try that because I'm having a separate, unrelated problem:

My save2flash (save on EXIT) results in my system not booting up again. It tries to but crashed out when Xserver tries to start. I noticed same effect yesterday when I was working with frisbee. Note that this is on a pristine XenialDog firmware-all installation. I thought it might be corruption on my harddrive partition, but same effect having now copied XenialDog folder over to other partition. The iso md5sum is OK.

William

stemsee

PostPosted: Wed 25 May 2016, 02:58    Post subject:  

I have updated the logic for discovering wlan0 / 1 interface name in wifi-connect.

I tested it on XenialDog, Wheezy, Jessie and FatDog. Connects very quickly, with no faffing about!

Welcome to try.

Last edited by stemsee on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 20:44; edited 1 time in total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 25 May 2016, 03:29    Post subject:  

Ok, I'll give your script a try stemsee.

Fred,

I've also repeated tests with Xenial firmware basic and PeasyWIFI experimental deb. Again that worked fine on my HP Elitebook 2530p laptop, and i've also been able to verify that AutoConnect worked fine. First I had to change the iwlwifi /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode that was included in the XenialDog firmware-basic iso, which didn't work in detecting my wifi network (the kernel module itself, iwlwifi, did load, but wifi remained dead). I replaced it with iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode, which I had downloaded as a tar.gz recently (to get Slitaz wifi working on my machine I think though can't remember) - anyway that alternative iwlwifi firmware works fine for me.

However, getting the same boot error after using Porteus boot and save2flash. Difficult to get error log since not in dmesg and during boot commandline stuff, but seems to be some problem with Xorg probing. Anyway, I didn't simply reboot my machine this time since found that 'startx' at the commandline got in fine. Not sure what is going on there since a pristine copy of casper boots fine straight into X for me.

William

EDIT: My HP Elitebook has Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN and I obtained the matching firmware here:

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi

After untarring that, I simply copied the binary into /lib/firmware and renamed/disabled the older firmware binary by sticking the word ORIGINAL on the end of its name...

mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 25 May 2016, 03:50    Post subject:  

Hi stemsee,

I've downloaded your script. Haven't tried it yet, but had a quick look at the code and it looks like a good one - hope it works for me here too. Though Frisbee has generally worked well for me, it is a bit of a beast to maintain and the originator of the code is no longer around, so best to find an alternative I feel.

William

fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 25 May 2016, 14:28    Post subject:  

Hi William,

Quote:
The new frisbee deb fixed the right-click icon issue, but otherwise problem is the same (including greyed out buttons for Connect and Restart Networks etc).

Ah, that's a pity, don't know what else to do now for frisbee.
I tried the PeasyWIFI deb packaged by Toni, it works well to get connected , but took me some time to figure out how to use it, not as user-friendly as frisbee, IMO.
Btw, in case you don't know: to have the old interface names e.g. wlan0, just add to kernel boot line:
Code:
net.ifnames=0

Quote:
My save2flash (save on EXIT) results in my system not booting up again. It tries to but crashed out when Xserver tries to start.

That's bad! , no way to get into X ?

Can you test attached porteusbootscripts..deb ? (remove fake .tar)
Just install it before you save on Exit and see if this solves it after reboot.
It's downgrade of scripts for porteus-boot (I recently changed these a little).

Edit: Not sure if you tried previous iso release also, if so, you had this problem also?

Fred
porteusbootscripts_0.0.1_i386.deb.tar
Description  porteus boot scripts downgraded
tar

Download 
Filename  porteusbootscripts_0.0.1_i386.deb.tar 
Filesize  8.44 KB 
Downloaded  151 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 25 May 2016, 14:43; edited 2 times in total
Page 8 of 69 [1024 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 67, 68, 69 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: