Photoshop in Wine

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bruce B

Photoshop in Wine

#1 Post by Bruce B »

Introduction

This post is specifically for puppyluvr and of course for any interested. This doesn't warrant a 'howto' by any stretch of the imagination. Just tiny pieces of information. Hopefully of some value, maybe even good enough to start more discussion.

Brief Wine experience overview

Over the years, I've tried and used Wine on many occasions. I've had fair success, also some failures trying to get it support various Windows programs. Typically, what I've ran into is, success with annoying quirks.

Photoshop has always been a no go.

Eventually, I decided that programs simply work right running in their native environments. So, I run Windows apps on Windows in emulation. No problems, speed is good, but not as lighting fast as I'm about to report with Wine, not even close.

Slitaz Cooking, Wine 1.0.0 and Photoshop 4.01

Photoshop worked like a champ and unspeakably fast. Image manipulation is a big undertaking, it doesn't happen in real time. But it seems to, when it is that fast, what more can I say?

Wine balked about one conversion dll, so I removed it. I didn't need it anyway.

(IfranView 3.95 crashed Slitaz X when trying to change view mode from window mode to full screen.)

Vector Linux 5.9, newer version of Wine and Photoshop 4.01

This was a total failure. Photoshop would get into a race condition and take a full minutes work for me to get it to shut down. So I installed the older Wine

Vector Linux 5.9, Wine 1.0.0 and Photoshop 4.01

Same problem. So it wasn't the Wine version. In thinking through the difference, I noted with Slitaz test, I did it right and preserved the DOS 8.3 uppercase filenames. In the Vector test, I copied from Slitaz to Vector and file names got converted from uppercase to lowercase. So I put the 8.3 filenames back to uppercase and Photoshop works like a champ.

I still need to go back and do more testing in IrfanView, but I can make an update later on what I learn.

Last notes

A couple years ago, WineHQ had nothing good to say about Photoshop 4.01 support. Within the last couple days, I found it is 'untested' by them, but one reader reported it works great.

Photoshop 4.01 was expensive enough at the time, and it served me well enough, I didn't want to buy newer versions at a cost of several hundred dollars, so I stayed with 4.01.

I suppose people could buy 4 or 5 fairly reasonably priced on ebay or somewhere. I'd certainly recommend it, for non-purist FOSS people. Once Photoshop had been intimately learned, by me, Gimp just didn't take.

There are a few jpeg types Photoshop 4.01 can open, but crashes when saving. These are newer formats than what was used at the time this Photoshop was built.

In order to avoid this crashing, I convert all jpegs with a lossless routine to the baseline format. This prevents any crashing. Also a very, very important advantage is, it gets rid of the exif data and any extraneous data. This keeps Photoshop from changing compression ratio from file to file, allowing you to set it as you want and all files are compressed the same and saved in baseline format. Otherwise, Photoshop saves in the original compression ratio and format, as it thinks it should be, but not all files were originally created with Photoshop, so results can be inconsistent.

The Linux tool to use for making the lossless, baseline conversion is jpegtran, I've found it included in all Puppys < 4.00. A simple script makes very easy work of the recoding.

And I am sincerely talking about some awesome speed with Wine, as well stability. Things like opening 25 1/4 mb files in about two seconds tops. Manipulating images so fast, you can hardly measure the time. It just happens.

-----------------

Intel dual 2.8Ghz processor, all image file operations performed on RAM filesystem.

playdayz

Tell us more

#2 Post by playdayz »

First, how did you install photoshop in the wine setup? "wine installer.exe" from the folder the installer is in, is about the simplest in my experience and often has good results, and then using the .desktop file that the wine installer creates is often successful in starting the program.

2. Did you have to do anything special to wine, in terms of dll's and so forth?

3. Have you tried it in Puppy?

Observations. Wouldn't it be interesting if photoshop workers started trading in their windows workstations for linux and wine because photoshop ran faster in wine!!!

2. Several versions of photoshop are supported in Crossover Linux ($) for anyone who might like it to run without getting their hands dirty.

3. PhotoFiltre is a *much* less powerful program than photoshop that also runs well in wine for me. I think someone has confirmed that Art Weaver also runs. I could not make Irfanview run either.
PhotoFiltre http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 53&t=32489

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

playdayz,

Answers

* I didn't even know about a wine installer. Just a copy operation, that's how I lost the filename case on Vector

* Everything was pure raw Wine defaults. Later, I suppose I can play with native dlls, configuration, tweaks and such. I don't really know Wine as a program. Something new to learn. Until now, I never had reason to learn.

* No, I haven't tried it in Puppy. But I really don't see why it wouldn't work. If Puppy supported my processor, I'd like to try it and report on it.

* Regarding your observations. I see no reason to use Windows when Wine does so well. Frankly, without testing on this computer in Windows, I don't think Windows would be faster. For one thing, just working on Linux' huge ram disk adds a lot of speed.

But there is one major thing completely untested by me. That is, photo quality printing. And I'm not in a position to test that now or in the near future.

* Crossover Linux? Fortunately, there are about three Windows ISV products I'm interested in and that's it. But nothing could have gone easier than this Wine / Photoshop install.

* I'll do some testing on IrfanView and update you.

Q: Advice about installing native .dll files?

Bruce

noiseglas

#4 Post by noiseglas »

Well I don't know about Photoshop 4.01 but Photoshop 6.0 runs excellent on Puppy 4.0 with wine 1.1.5.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

Wine and Photoshop 4.01 in Puppy

Installed Wine 1.0.0 in Puppy. But it wouldn't create the /root./wine directory because it said I'm not root.

A had little problem with that one. I AM ROOT. Being root, I shall be boss over Wine and my computer. Nuff said. Man over machine.

So after letting Wine know who is who, it works swell.

Photoshop 4.01 runs fine. I've installed macros or 'actions' as they are called. These actions are run with F keys or Shift+F keys. I have some conflicts with JWM and which gets F key priority. But I can resolve those.

Photoshop runs as if it's on a 500Mhz computer. But I'd expect this much, because Puppy is running in Qemu. The slower behavior is not a reflection of anything really, except Puppy's operating environment.

IrfanView

I did a lot of testing of IrfanView395 on Vector with full Xorg support and proprietary Nvidia drivers. I have so far found no problems

Notetab Pro

Don't see a problem off hand, but needs lots of testing as it has lots of features.

Learning Syntax

Linux syntax is correct:
wine /root/.wine/drive_c/notepro/notepro.exe $1

Windows style is wrong:
wine/root/.wine/drive_c/notepro/notepro.exe %1

Line endings

I noted that Wine windows program .ini files are using CRLF (carriage return + linefeed)

Linux uses LF (line feed)

Tip: when editing ini files, Puppy's wonderful little mp has a setting to save the line endings as crlf*

* hex 0d 0a

Summary

Wine improves with age

puppyluvr

#6 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello Bruce,
Aw heck, now I gotta learn about wine. :D :D
Should be fun, and the benifits will be worth it. ( less windoze in my house) ..
Only tried Wine once, (Thats what she said...LOL)..
Was able to get IE, paint, ect. to run, but not Irfanview or Safari...
Didnt have a Photoshop disk then, but I do now....
My wife is running Compiz, Hope Wine and Compiz get along....
Maybe tomorrow....

@Bruce, on a side note, I love Wallp, and have used it a lot..
But I can only kill it from the process manager, not even from the console. Tried writing a script to kill it, no go.
I put it in /root/my applications, and link it to /root/startup (which I create if a Puppy doesnt have one.)
Same for 301 and 4.00...only from the process manager..

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

Gqview can be added to Puppy. Then I can write a script to set wall paper from gqview. Will that suit your fancy?

erikson

#8 Post by erikson »

Bruce B wrote:Wine improves with age
Good wine stands the test of time ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qe_DPi7KIs
[size=84][i]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.[/i] --- erikson
hp/compaq nx9030 (1.6GHz/480MB/37.2GB), ADSL, Linksys wireless router
[url]http://www.desonville.net/[/url]
Puppy page: [url]http://www.desonville.net/en/joere.puppy.htm[/url][/size]

SirDuncan

#9 Post by SirDuncan »

I actually had Photoshop CS3 working in Wine on Ubuntu, but it refused to load any filters/brush effects/etc. That made it nearly useless, but it was running. I need it for a class, so I ended up with XP running in a VM.

The primary issue reported on Wine sites is that CS3 will not install. I avoided this by using Thinstall to make it a portable app. Then I was having trouble with some DLL. That was fixed by finding it on a copy of XP and moving it to my Wine install. Then it worked except for the filter thing. If someone ever figure it out, let me know.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

SirDuncan,

An idea or two. Not a known solution.

I had a problem with Wine in one test because of text case.

Linux filesystems are one name

Windows filesystems are two name, one name of the file follows the dos 8.3 convention perfectly. If it doesn't we have 1 truename and 1 alias.

One time I converted all filters into dos one name file, by copying them in dos. Photoshop worked perfectly with the one name dos names.

Also of course there is an .ini file Photosop uses.

Noting that the ini file must be with dos line endings.

You might preserve the one plugin directory and make a copy by converting them to one name, the dos name, which is how to avoid the aliasing Windows uses.

If you want to tinker, keep me posted.

The main reason for this post, I was more than surprised that wine would ever support photoshop.

Bruce