So, what's in a name... Too many Puppys?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
boombaby

So, what's in a name... Too many Puppys?

#1 Post by boombaby »

Hello, Any...

Have you noticed that in various forums and reviews and mentions Puppy Linuxes (Linii?) are being referred to as PUPPY Linux - that is, ALL other versions, strains, roll-your-own-distros, puplets(??), etc are ALSO being referred to as PUPPY?

Then have you noticed that UBUNTU Linux is being referred to as UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, LUBUNTU, XUBUNTU, MABUNTU, etc., and so on, etc.

Same each with DEBIAN, FEDORA, ARCH, SLACK, and others. They get their spins spun, but all the PUPPY's are just puppies (ie not grown up yet?).

One distro site has PUPPY Linux on their list but many others are not spun out. For instance there I did a search on distros based on "PUPPY" and came up with 4 :- PUPPY (ie itself); SIMPLICITY; LEGACYOS; TOUTOU. Is that really the full extent of spin-offs and so on?

Gonna do anything 'bout that?

For me Puppy Linux 6 (Tahr), should have been called TAHRPUP-6 (or some such) - then they can't just hang "PUPPY" around it's neck.

Think?

Regards,
aka boombaby

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Hello boombaby,

This is the only 'linux distro' forum I have bookmarked, and by your confusing post, that sounds like a good thing. :)

Maybe the next puppies should be named Yakko, Wakko, and Dot,,, ?

tlchost

#3 Post by tlchost »

If all the puppies are called with the same name, with proper training, they should all sit at the same time......

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

I don't think the opening post is that much confusing.

I think what he's trying to assume is to write the name of puppy in all capitals like PUPPY - so like to point out it is for real a big or adult dog by now as it has grown for the years.

Someone may correct me, if I got this wrong.
tlchost wrote:If all the puppies are called with the same name, with proper training, they should all sit at the same time......
That would be really GOOD!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

tlchost

#5 Post by tlchost »

LazY Puppy wrote:
tlchost wrote:If all the puppies are called with the same name, with proper training, they should all sit at the same time......
That would be really GOOD!
But it's Linux...and having everything work the same all the time and everywhere may not be accepted by the community.

Have you upgraded the dog's kernel?

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

tlchost wrote:Have you upgraded the dog's kernel?
No, never did so.

For some months now I'm using them 'as is'.
Just put my T.O.P.L.E.S.S. 'on top' and here we are: all in DE, favorite WP, icons & themes etc. and all used in RAM only and all programs coming by SFS or RoxApps.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

tlchost

#7 Post by tlchost »

LazY Puppy wrote:
No, never did so.
SOrry, I meant the animal...not the OS.

LazY Puppy

#8 Post by LazY Puppy »

tlchost wrote:
LazY Puppy wrote:
No, never did so.
SOrry, I meant the animal...not the OS.
Ok, I see now.

No, I don't have a dog or animals in general.
RSH

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

For me Puppy Linux 6 (Tahr), should have been called TAHRPUP-6 (or some such) - then they can't just hang "PUPPY" around it's neck.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178
It is called Tahrpup.

You can not control what people writing about something call things.
I guess if Puppy was a software company, there would be someone to make sure it was reported on correctly.

From stuff I have read. Most reviewers or reporters do not completely understand Puppy.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)