Fruho

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
labbe5

Fruho

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://fruho.com/download

Fruho is available for Puppy, Mintpup and Debiandog 32 or 64-bit as a deb. file. The download link is above.

For more information on Fruho :
https://fruho.com/

it is a GUI for OpenVPN. If you already use OpenVPN and VPNbook with a terminal, Fruho will offer a GUI to use with VPNbook. Its user-friendliness is what will be appreciated, and the availability of commercial VPN providers as well. Any VPN provider using OpenVPN should work with Fruho. There is not app like it for Linux. If there are dependencies issues with Debiandog or Mintpup, use this in a terminal : sudo apt-get install -f (this will force the download and installation of dependencies).

For those of you who would like to know how to use OpenVPN wiith VPNbook (a non-commercial VPN provider) in a terminal, instead of using Fruho, here's how :

Using a Canada-based ovpn configuration file, you open the directory where you unzipped the zip file provided by VPNbook and open a terminal window. You simply write : openvpn --config vpnbook-ca1-tcp443.ovpn. Sequence completed will show at the end of the process. You can check if you really are protected by going to this web site : whatismyipaddress. It will show you are somewhere on this planet, but not anywhere near where you really are.

For those of you who wonder what is a VPN : It is the best way to protect you in an insecure environment, such as public librairies, airports, coffee shops. When you don't need a password to go on internet in a public space, it's unsecure, not encrypted, and anybody that intends to spy on the network can read everything you do or write, with the right app. Without a VPN, your usernames and passwords are in clear view. if your are not scared, you truly have nothing to hide, or have nothing to lose (in most cases, money).

april

#2 Post by april »

Just a complete newbies take on this .

Openvpn is already installed on Precise 5.7.1
There is a menu item in network called Gpptp PPTP VPN client.
So ignoring this I download the certificates files given on the VPNBook website , saved them to software and unzipped them in the same directory then opened a terminal in that same directory and entered the line given in the post "openvpn --config vpnbook-ca1-tcp443.ovpn"

That terminal asks for a name and password that are given under those files on the VPNBook site Name "vpnbook" Password "ReSpedr5"

Then it goes off and hopefully succeeds in doing something but I am not quite sure what.

I Duckup "whatismyip" and it gives me some ficticious one I think and then I am good to go and invade the canadian mounted police or something like that.

I am still a little dazed.I think I will go back and read "labbe5's" post again.

april

#3 Post by april »

labbe5 wrote:Without a VPN, your usernames and passwords are in clear view. if your are not scared, you truly have nothing to hide, or have nothing to lose (in most cases, money).
Thats the bit I don't get. Why does changing the IP address affect that? Is VPN somehow encrypting the data sent?

I'm not making light of this . I can see it has something to offer me in security .
My IP is coming up as "Your IP address is 49.197.19.230 in Stafford, Queensland, Australia (4053)" which it clearly isn't as I'm in Innisfail right at the moment taking a breather from beating into the wind at the wrong time of the year.

Additionally I d/l Froho as 32 bit "deb"and install then get an error message trying to run it
Attachments
FruhoError.png
(11.64 KiB) Downloaded 581 times

april

#4 Post by april »

Well clearly I am not getting any answers on this .
I have tried it a few times and now I do not see a change of IP happening so something seems wrong even though " Initialization Sequence Completed " comes up .Heres a screen shot if anyone can help me out.
It does not seem to be using tunnel1?
Attachments
VPNscreennotconnected.png
(178.79 KiB) Downloaded 513 times

april

#5 Post by april »

Recommendation - Stay away from this unless you are sure you know what you are doing .

This interferes with the correct operation of openVPN and may very well be malware.

"labbe5" seems to be wishing to make recommendations which are not checked properly or probably used . Certainly no answers are given or offered . I've noticed that on a few of his posts !

MaPi

#6 Post by MaPi »

Fruho works well in Antix (a debian based distro). I have tried to install the deb package in precisepuppy 5.7.1 but I get the same error message as april. Maybe someone can build a pet or sfs that works in precise and other puppies.