Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
charlie6

drive icons long to display after desktop icons

#601 Post by charlie6 »

Hi phil,

On a very fresh frugal install (k 4.4.95), the drive icons long to display, long after desktop icons - i.e. more than 30 sec after desktop icons have been displayed.
I tried several times reinstalling from the iso, but no change.

Thanks for any advice
Charlie

rcrsn51

#602 Post by rcrsn51 »

See the thread down from here. Musher0 also complains about Xenialpup k4.9.x being slow.

He solved the problem by downgrading the kernel.

musher0

#603 Post by musher0 »

Hello, people.

@charlie6: the thread for "xenialPup-7.0.6 32-bits with kernel 4.1" is here.

@rcrsn51: thanks for the little "push"! ;)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

amigodetux

BOOTING THE KERNEL HANGS

#604 Post by amigodetux »

I have tried Xenialpup CE 7.5 under Virtual Box and I had not problems, but when I decided run from an CD and USB I got the following message:

And does not continue after that.

I have checked MD5SUM, it is ok.
My DVD room lens = ok
The BIOS CD and USB boot secuence = Ok and ready

I usually use Tahrpup and works great.

My PC is a DELL 3G RAM,
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Thanks in advance, if somebody could help me to find a solution.

amigodetux
Attachments
20180116_123630-1.jpg
(116.38 KiB) Downloaded 1375 times

charlie6

drive icons long to display after desktop icons

#605 Post by charlie6 »

Hi rcrsn51 and musher0,
thanks for you replies!
last edited:
0) might be the same issue as forum member shinobar's one here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 418#931418
00) file /etc/rc.d/functions4puppy4 is no longer present ==> I suppose it is not unwanted.
000) Just went to give a try installing another recent distroDpup Stretch on the very same partition/PC: desktop and drive icons + pmount work as expected :)

1) did a change_kernel to kernel 4.1.48 (not 4.1.30 because had one copy just ready to use) ==> no change :cry:
2/ again reverted to kernel 3.17.4 from Tahrpup ==> no change :cry:

In the meanwhile, had made some trials: have checked the partitions using GParted which reports they are all OK;
and launching from terminal,
pup_event_frontend
probepart
drive_all
pmount

all commands resulting in a ca. 35 seconds delay before drive icons get displayed , AND also /sys/block as also /root/.pup_event get populated with links/name for drive and/or partitions.

On the same PC, wheezy-3.5.2.5 runs from another HDDs partition without that delays issue.

I also browsed the forum searching for "slow" "drive icon" "pup_event_frontend"; and even got a try switching to the forum member smokey01's pup_event_frontend here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 819#788819
without change.

Also to notice: no noticeable speed difference whatever the kernel

Here running
PC Manufacturer: FUJITSU SIEMENS
Product Name: SCENIC D

Motherboard Vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
Product Name: D1522

BIOS Vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Version: 4.06 Rev. 1.03.1522
Release Date: 01/30/2003

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Max Speed: 3060 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2533 MHz

Frequency governor : performance
Freq. scaling driver : p4-clockmod

Sensor status is not available, or required kernel drivers are not loaded.

Personal Storage Folder:
Name: /Xenpup/xenialpupsave-xenpup
Total Size: 1,2G
Free Space: 548M

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 2011 MB
Used RAM: 1102 MB
Free RAM: 909 MB
Buffers: 80 MB
Cached: 847 MB
Total Swap: 4094 MB
Free Swap: 4094 MB

Actual Used RAM: 175 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 1836 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

Linux Kernel: 3.17.4 (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Sat Nov 22 17:32:24 GMT 2014
PAE Enabled: Yes
Attachment: pup-sysinfo.txt.fake.gz for exhaustive infos.

Manay thanks for any advice
Charlie
Attachments
pup-sysinfo.txt.fake.gz
(7.08 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

mavrothal

Re: drive icons long to display after desktop icons

#606 Post by mavrothal »

charlie6 wrote: Charlie
any pup_event* complains in /tmp/xerrs.log?
Also is the cddetect command (in terminal) runing fine?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

charlie6

#607 Post by charlie6 »

Hi mavrothal :)

thanks for your reply !
mavrothal wrote:...
any pup_event* complains in /tmp/xerrs.log?
Also is the cddetect command (in terminal) runing fine?
Was also checked:
No pup_event* complain in /tmp/xerrs.log;
and

Code: Select all

# cddetect
no disc!
# 
I did not have met any error message nor in Xorg.0.log nor in terminal when launching mount, pmount, drive_all, probepart.

Here on this specific single-core-processor machine, it looks like there is a kind of timeout (ca.35sec) before drives are "scanned" as well upon each RestartX command as upon first pupsave before choosing which partition where to save it.
On this specific machine, the same behaviour is also encountered with Zesty;
but not with forum member radky's Dpup-Stretch-7.5 and TahrPup-6.0.X.

Although Xenialpup-7.5 runs like a charm on another i686-HP2530p elitebook, as also on a i686-Desktop HP Pavillon w5260.be, both rather aged two-core-processor featured.

Best regards
Charlie

bigpup

Re: BOOTING THE KERNEL HANGS

#608 Post by bigpup »

amigodetux wrote:I have tried Xenialpup CE 7.5 under Virtual Box and I had not problems, but when I decided run from an CD and USB I got the following message:

Try the Xenialpup64 7.5 and see if it works better.

Only try with a USB install.
Those are easy to make changes to, if something in the boot loader needs to be changed.

How are you installing to a USB?
Specific details????
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mavrothal

#609 Post by mavrothal »

charlie6 wrote: Here on this specific single-core-processor machine, it looks like there is a kind of timeout (ca.35sec) before drives are "scanned" as well upon each RestartX command as upon first pupsave before choosing which partition where to save it.
So is this only in pupmode 5 ie in the first boot before the savefile is created or also after?
If in pupmode 5 only, do you have a wired internet connection in this machine?
If you don't, is the delay present after you establish a working internet connection?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

charlie6

#610 Post by charlie6 »

mavrothal wrote:...
So is this only in pupmode 5 ie in the first boot before the savefile is created or also after?
If in pupmode 5 only, do you have a wired internet connection in this machine?
If you don't, is the delay present after you establish a working internet connection?
It occurs also after the savefile creation; and the wire eth0 connection is well established.

april

#611 Post by april »

Installing and running Printers in xenialpup64 7.5
HP Deskjet 2131($19)
I got "hplip". via Puppy Package Manager.
Installed it ...rather a long one
Went to "localhost:631" in my browser
Modified the printer to use "2130"

Away it went and scanner worked with sane as well.

Canon MG2560 ($15) works straight off

amigodetux

#612 Post by amigodetux »

bigpup wrote:
amigodetux wrote:I have tried Xenialpup CE 7.5 under Virtual Box and I had not problems, but when I decided run from an CD and USB I got the following message:

Try the Xenialpup64 7.5 and see if it works better.

Only try with a USB install.
Those are easy to make changes to, if something in the boot loader needs to be changed.

How are you installing to a USB?
Specific details????
"Thanks, I usually install usb puppy, from the live cd, using the default installer, but in this case because the problem above, I tried installing from Unetbooting, but the same problem. I also used a multiple iso boot usb, and the same problem, it doesn continue running the kernel.

I tried 64 bit but it does´t work too, not for now, :( maybe Xenialpup CE 7.5 does not support my old Optiplex 740. The strange i don´t understand is why in virtualbox runs without problem, Im sure that iso image is ok, and the BIOS is configured well" -Amigo de Tux-

hamoudoudou

phototonic_1.7-1

#613 Post by hamoudoudou »

phototonic_1.7-1|phototonic|1.7-1||Graphic;viewer|832K|
Qt5 yet included xenialpup
For try, feed back soon
Gwenwiew makes happy our newbie, i will take a glance at it too. 75MB with Xenialpup ! :?
Geeqie is my running photo manager.. with artfulpup,but phototonic is very light.. When Qt yet available.
Take advantage of Qt5 applications....
Attachments
exiv.jpg
Camera and date, nice.
(69.04 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

screeny still buggy

#614 Post by hamoudoudou »

screeny still buggy
complaints here
No bug with Artfulpup.. I was taking a glance at xenialpup, again..
8) reloaded from PPM, now no distortion..
:( bug back, very strange

Linux explanations :

root# screeny

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GProxyResolverGnome'.

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-proxy-resolver. Expected type is GProxyResolver.

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GTlsBackendGnutls'.

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-tls-backend. Expected type is GTlsBackend.

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GTlsBackendGnutlsPkcs11'.

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-tls-backend. Expected type is GTlsBackend.

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'GLibProxyResolver'.

(gtkdialog:695): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-proxy-resolver. Expected type is GProxyResolver.

bigpup

#615 Post by bigpup »

amigodetux wrote:
"Thanks, I usually install usb puppy, from the live cd, using the default installer, but in this case because the problem above, I tried installing from Unetbooting, but the same problem. I also used a multiple iso boot usb, and the same problem, it doesn continue running the kernel.

I tried 64 bit but it does´t work too, not for now, :( maybe Xenialpup CE 7.5 does not support my old Optiplex 740. The strange i don´t understand is why in virtualbox runs without problem, Im sure that iso image is ok, and the BIOS is configured well" -Amigo de Tux-
The computers specs seem like ones Xenialpup will support.

For CD booting.
The CD drive condition is an issue.
Clean inside.
Read lens clean.
CD disk clean with no scratches.
CD disk burned at a slow speed. 8 or less.

USB booting.
Try a different USB port.
A fresh clean format of the USB drive partition can help before doing the install.
Fat 32 format is best, to make sure that is not a problem. Some computers want to see fat 32 format
for USB booting.

Unetbootin installs.
Look on the flash drive for the file syslinux.cfg. If it contains the clause "pmedia=cd" or something else, change it to "pmedia=usbflash".

Example:
syslinux.cfg

Code: Select all

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd
YaPI(any iso installer)

amigodetux

Solved: Installing XenialPup 32Bits Using Unetbootin

#616 Post by amigodetux »

-God news: Successful USB installing using UNetbootin. USB formated as Fat32 and flaged as boot. After this I followed your recommendation to replace within isolinux.cfg, pmedia=usbflash instead of pmedia=cd and everything worked in live mode.

Thanks to BigPup, for his assistance.

-Not so good news but new challenge: Now I am trying to create another USB in EXT4 for my use, I used for this, the Puppy Universal Installer, as in previous versions, but when finally boot the USB here go again, stop the process after load vmlinuz and initrd.gz, in case of someone know something about it :) Im all ears.

For now, I will discover an enjoy XenialPup, It looks great.

Ledster

#617 Post by Ledster »

Just treated myself to a new lappy - HP 15BS15#SA. i5 processor, 4gigs ram, 1Tb hard disk, Windoze 10.
Running xenialpup CE 7.5 very well on usb stick (Chose the 32 bit one after failing to get some of my programs to run in the 64 bit version).
First problem was the wireless chip - too new for kernel 4.4.95, so changed to the 4.9.13 kernel (downloaded from xenial 7.5 section on ibiblio). Fixed that problem.
Next tried to set up printing. Cups starts up to the opening screen, but clicking on any link (administration, adding printers and classes, ie just about any link) gives "Internal server error".
Tried "localhost:631" - no change. Tried reinstalling cups 2.1.3 from ppm over the built in cups 2.1.3 - again no joy.
At the moment it seems I can have printing and no wireless on the 4.4.95 kernel or wireless and no printing on 4.9.13 kernel.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm in well over my pay grade!

bigpup

#618 Post by bigpup »

What is the printer?
Make and model?
YaPI(any iso installer)

april

#619 Post by april »

Ledster go into Default apps chooser and change htmlbrowser to the one you are using . This fixed my problem but I could also do it with localhost so maybe maybe not.
That should be
http://localhost:631/

jamespoo

#620 Post by jamespoo »

so i have been give an old dell mini 910 had no os on it so wanted to install Xenialpup 7.5 CE to the 8gb ssd

i put it on a flash stick booted it up and everything works great as it loaded drivers for wifi sound and Intel video so i formatted the the 8gb ssd ect in GParted ready to install it i have the iso on another usb so i plugged it in and mounted it and did the setup one done i shut down the pc and took the usb out and after the dell logo went away it just booted to a black screen with a blinking white line in the top left side

so i tried installing it again with a boot loader and when i select it on the list i still got the same thing

what could be causing this as this is a really good os and runs really well on this netbook but don't want to have to have the usb plugged in all the time to use it

or is there another popular os that is still getting updates and has lots of support i should use on this netbook ? i heard you can run mac os but i think i need to have the 16gb ssd model