Xenialpup CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
vegetarian-that-eats-pred

this is awesome

#346 Post by vegetarian-that-eats-pred »

Tahrpup has a slightly outdated kernel which does not find backlight switcher on my notebook. There wasn't any newer pups on the frontpage and I started to browse the forum and found out that there are indeed newer pups in development. After reading ashutosh's description:
ashutosh wrote: I recently installed Xenial Pup and must I say that its the best OS I have ever used . Speed and utilities are amazing.
I decided to prove his statement by installing/trying it and, oh my god, I couldn't agree more with him. It is one of the best if not the best OS I have ever used and I have used a lot: buntus, suses, redhats, debians, arches, gentoo/funtoo, slackwares, tinycore linux, alpine, nixoses etc. The one desktop os (by desktop os I mean that which is installed on the hard drive primarily) I actually liked was nixos. For my tastes the best oses are those which are working from RAM, i.d. puppies, porteus, alpine, tinycore and there are some other which I didn't check out. These four are awesome but for the average users puppies and porteus could be in focus. I thinks 666philb's tahrpup and xenialpup are the best. I encountered so many quirks while working with porteus so puppy took the lead in my preferences. I can't consider myself totally an average user but at least I can compare and at last stay with some distros and be loyal to them. These are the four I mentioned with puppy in the lead. I hope, puppy will continue to exist and will not become dormant. I am embarking on a Master Degree course in Computer Science in next year's summer and I, hope, I would be able to help 01micko and 666philb's or anyone working with puppy development. Sadly, lots of time must pass till that can happen but before that I will be one happy user of puppy gnu/linuces and want to thank 666philb for the distribution that helps me in my daily work. Best luck to him and I wish he will keep up the good work.

Best regards,
Markell

vegetarian-that-eats-pred

additional

#347 Post by vegetarian-that-eats-pred »

For now the only issue I had I couldn't make monodevelop work but, honestly, I didn't try enough and probably don't have enough knowledge on how to do it but I can live without it. Never liked .Net but for my future Computer Science course it kinda needed =( for some lame classes.
Attachments
desktop.png
Sorry for the unintentional product placement =( I don't want to promote the book or the language. It's just something that I started to learn.
(208.49 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

charlie6

cups shared printers options not available

#348 Post by charlie6 »

Hi 666philb,

The CUPS Administration option «Show printers shared by other systems» is no longer present on a pristine install of Xenialpup CE7.0.4.

I browsed across this forum as also the web to find a workaround ... without success :? :cry: ..

Any idea or suggestion shoud be welcome !

Could Tahrpup6.0.5's CUPS work on Xenialpup 7.0.4?

attached:
CUPS 1.4.8 Administration options screenshot in Tahrpup 6.0.5

Thanks for any reply :)
Best regards
Charlie
Attachments
cups_shared_prn.png
(71.92 KiB) Downloaded 2443 times

proebler

#349 Post by proebler »

Running a fugal, pristine Xenialpup CE 7.0.4,
I am confused by four (4) different indications of memory use.
I have Pale Moon open and connected,
Computer Summary Information window open,
3 console windows open, showing Top, Htop and what the 'free' command brings up.
Here are the 4 indications:
314 MB used (of 2960MB) in Computer Summary
929120K used in Top
212/2891MB in Htop
647404(K) in 'free' information

some clarification/explanation is highly welcome please
thanks
proebler

puppytahruser

when

#350 Post by puppytahruser »

When Xenialpup 7.0.4 CE BETA will remove BETA and confirm as final version. Any date in mind? Thank you :)

mcewanw

#351 Post by mcewanw »

proebler wrote:Running a fugal, pristine Xenialpup CE 7.0.4,
I am confused by four (4) different indications of memory use.
I have Pale Moon open and connected,
Computer Summary Information window open,
3 console windows open, showing Top, Htop and what the 'free' command brings up.
Here are the 4 indications:
314 MB used (of 2960MB) in Computer Summary
929120K used in Top
212/2891MB in Htop
647404(K) in 'free' information

some clarification/explanation is highly welcome please
thanks
proebler
Be careful what you wish for proebler. A similar desire to understand what causes the very different RAM usage statistics between top, htop and free resulted in the break up of the original DebianDog development team. Fortunately, fredx181 has done a great job continuing DebianDog development work.

I should also say that the differences can only be explained by going in deep - it's very technical. The summary is that when Ubuntu Xenial came into existence, the /proc stats used in RAM calculations by these utilities became really quite different.

Some... details can be found here and earlier on in that same thread.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 344#904344

William (no longer usually active on here but dropped in since I continue to understand the importance/need for users to 'understand' the different RAM stats being reported by such utilities).

EDIT: Note from my second post just after that of the link I give above, I stated my opinion that the latest Xenial htop gives the better true RAM usage indication (but that's just my opinion for the reasons I gave). Unfortunately, because of these changes in how the value is calculated you can thus no longer reliably compare distributions memory usage between these newer systems and ones using older versions of htop, top and free.
github mcewanw

jlst

Re: when

#352 Post by jlst »

puppytahruser wrote:When Xenialpup 7.0.4 CE BETA will remove BETA and confirm as final version. Any date in mind? Thank you :)
It will probably go back to alpha, there are a lot of changes including touchscreen support, that are not in xenialpup...

bigpup

#353 Post by bigpup »

puppytahruser wrote:When Xenialpup 7.0.4 CE BETA will remove BETA and confirm as final version. Any date in mind? Thank you :)
This is really up to 666philb the developer of Xenialpup.
Only he knows when to call it final.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

shinobar

drive icons appear too slow

#354 Post by shinobar »

On Xenialpup, drive icons on the desktop appear too slow after X starts.
Usually 5 sec on Tahrpup but 20 sec on Xenialpup.

First drive icon appears immediately but other drives slow.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

futwerk

#355 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds.
Attachments
xenial 25.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4v77bi1p58ox
(42.68 KiB) Downloaded 1465 times
xenial27.jpg
(38.64 KiB) Downloaded 1452 times
xenial26.jpg
(55.69 KiB) Downloaded 1489 times
xenial24.jpg
(12.77 KiB) Downloaded 1454 times

LazY Puppy

#356 Post by LazY Puppy »

Nice!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Robin2

#357 Post by Robin2 »

jlst wrote:
It will probably go back to alpha, there are a lot of changes including touchscreen support, that are not in xenialpup...
I wonder if the change from Tahr to Xenial is just too extensive and too complex for the one or two people who are able to give their time to it?

...R

belham2

#358 Post by belham2 »

Robin2 wrote:
jlst wrote:
I wonder if the change from Tahr to Xenial is just too extensive and too complex for the one or two people who are able to give their time to it?

...R
+1 Robin

I still have Peebee's Xenial version on one of my USB's. It is based on this Phil's Xenialpup CE 7.0.4. But I am reluctant to use it much anymore as it is a pain to stay on top of, plus it seems to be dead in the water (no post's about it for weeks/months now). Conversely, Peebee stays on top of the Slacko versions, but I can no longer use Slacko because of one big reason---its inability to run Redshift, which I sorely need for these old eyes. Also, it is worth mentioning that Slacko is still to this day kind of hit or miss about handling dual or more monitors. But I think maybe you hit the nail on the head----the changes from Tahr to Xenial are too much, and it is much easier to either roll things back to what they were, or, to just focus most of the attention on Slacko-based versions. Peebee, Phil, etc have jobs and families & such...i don't know how they do what they do in the first place, let alone keeping different Linux-based puppies going.

s243a

#359 Post by s243a »

Trying out version xenial-7.0.4 tonight. On shutdown it is taking a very long time to find where I'm allowed to create a save file. It might be because I have a large external hard drive attached. Perhaps my hardware is too old. Anyway, I'll leave it on for a bit to see if it actually lets me create a save file or folder.

s243a

#360 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:Trying out version xenial-7.0.4 tonight. On shutdown it is taking a very long time to find where I'm allowed to create a save file. It might be because I have a large external hard drive attached. Perhaps my hardware is too old. Anyway, I'll leave it on for a bit to see if it actually lets me create a save file or folder.
I changed some USB connections and had no trouble creating the save file. However, I still think that it shouldn't have been so slow the way I had it plugged in.

On another note. The startup problem with "Network Wizard" isn't fixed yet. I have a fix for it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108614

s243a

#361 Post by s243a »

I installed synergy.

It said that I was missing libcrypto++.so.9

I rectified this by installing either one or both of:
libcrypto++-utils_5.6.1-9
libcrypto++9v5_5.6.1-9.files

from the puppy package manager. I'm not sure if this was an intentional omission or something that you might want to include in the release.

edit: I'm able to switch monitors from computer to computer with the mouse but I'm unable to share the clipboard. I wonder if this means anything to anyone:

Code: Select all

20), TEXT (420), STRING (31)
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,518
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG:   added format 0 for target UTF8_STRING (276) (54 bytes)
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,561
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: close clipboard 0
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,354
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: open clipboard 1
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,319
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: ICCCM fill clipboard 1
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,499
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG:   available targets: TIMESTAMP (394), TARGETS (392), MULTIPLE (393), UTF8_STRING (276), COMPOUND_TEXT (320), TEXT (420), STRING (31)
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,518
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG:   added format 0 for target UTF8_STRING (276) (54 bytes)
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,561
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: close clipboard 1
2016-12-05T23:10:27 NOTE: disconnected from server
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/synergy/ClientApp.cpp,324
2016-12-05T23:10:27 NOTE: connecting to '192.168.0.2': 192.168.0.2:24800
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/client/Client.cpp,149
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: open clipboard 0
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: empty clipboard 0
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,272
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: grabbed clipboard 0
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,295
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: close clipboard 0
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: open clipboard 1
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: empty clipboard 1
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,272
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: grabbed clipboard 1
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/platform/XWindowsClipboard.cpp,295
2016-12-05T23:10:27 DEBUG: close clipboard 1
2016-12-05T23:10:27 NOTE: connected to server
	/build/synergy-mwoClI/synergy-1.6.2/src/lib/synergy/ClientApp.cpp,294
2016-12-05T23:10:31 INFO: entering screen
I should add that my clipboard works between different versions of tahrpup running synergy but not between xenial and tahrpup.

I'm googling a bit and killing glipper has solved the problem for some people but I don't think that xenial or tahr use glipper.

fr33land

Re: Xenialpup CE 7.0.4

#362 Post by fr33land »

666philb wrote:samba/yassm is still broken
Please see page 4. YASSM has the same problem as PeasyPort - missing binaries.

mikeslr

flowblade and other video apps for xenialpup

#363 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

My congradulations to 666philb for developing a truly resourceful Puppy, and to those working on woof for enabling that capability. And again to Lazy Puppy for building PaDS.

Recently, I had complained in an email regarding how little time knowledgeable Dev now spend on developing applications. Perhaps I spoke too soon. Xenialpup is evidently a Puppy with which even someone who doesn’t compile can obtain desired applications.

In the past I had some difficulty building flowblade. Here’s how I did so running xenialpup.

First, download and install PaDS from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 359#658359

Next, create a folder named such as flowblade You may want to give it a more complete name to distinguish it from other versions: for example flowblade32xen-1.8. The version built for Xenialpup may not run under other Puppies, and vice-versa.

Then, obtain the flowblade 1.8 deb from here: https://github.com/jliljebl/flowblade/b ... TALLING.md. Move/copy it into your flowblade folder.

You will find a list of flowblade’s dependencies here: https://github.com/jliljebl/flowblade/b ... DENCIES.md

Open Geany or your favorite text editor, and then copy and paste the list of dependencies into a new text file. Give it a name, such as flowblade-dependencies.txt, and save it to a convenient location.

Open Puppy Package Manager, Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager, select Configure, then options, then “Save PKGs in
Attachments
MultimediaApps in Xenialpup.png
flowblade & others build running xenialpup
(49.97 KiB) Downloaded 3877 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.

gremplar

Issues with Radeon firmware...

#364 Post by gremplar »

Hi all,

Hope this is the correct forum to post in, but I'm having a bit of trouble with Xenialpup 7.0.4.

When I download and boot the 7.0.4 ISO image from iBiblio, the OS boots and loads correctly, loading up the Radeon drivers, plus the KAVERI binary file(s), so my system boots and runs with full 3D acceleration.

If I download 'Woof-CE' from GitHub and attempt to build it from scratch, it:

a) Builds a version of XenialPup reporting itself as 7.0.3
b) Has no KAVERI binaries in the /lib/firmware/radeon nor /initrd/pup_z/lib/firmware/radeon directories (lots of others, though)

I can only conclude that the 'radeon_firmware' PET that's being built into the 7.0.3 image being built by Woof-CE is using an older PET than what was released in the 7.0.4 ISO, but no idea on how to rectify the issue.

Has anyone attempted to do this before? Any pointers on how you built 7.0.4 using Woof-CE, or am I in the completely wrong place?

666philb

Re: Issues with Radeon firmware...

#365 Post by 666philb »

gremplar wrote:Hi all,

Hope this is the correct forum to post in, but I'm having a bit of trouble with Xenialpup 7.0.4.

When I download and boot the 7.0.4 ISO image from iBiblio, the OS boots and loads correctly, loading up the Radeon drivers, plus the KAVERI binary file(s), so my system boots and runs with full 3D acceleration.

If I download 'Woof-CE' from GitHub and attempt to build it from scratch, it:

a) Builds a version of XenialPup reporting itself as 7.0.3
b) Has no KAVERI binaries in the /lib/firmware/radeon nor /initrd/pup_z/lib/firmware/radeon directories (lots of others, though)

I can only conclude that the 'radeon_firmware' PET that's being built into the 7.0.3 image being built by Woof-CE is using an older PET than what was released in the 7.0.4 ISO, but no idea on how to rectify the issue.

Has anyone attempted to do this before? Any pointers on how you built 7.0.4 using Woof-CE, or am I in the completely wrong place?
hi gremplar,

all the firmware is in the kernel but unfortunately i've been having some computer problems and the kernel i compiled for 704 is lost. this has also stalled any xenialpup development for a while.

so you can either use the kernel kit in the woof.ce folder to build a new kernel, and at the end tell it to grab the latest firmware.

or download a kernel from here http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/huge_kernels/
unzip it
rename kernel-modules.sfs-blah-blah to kernel-modules.sfs
left click to mount and copy all the files to a folder.
add the firmware you want from the working xenial and then repackge.

Code: Select all

mksquashfs /path/to/folder /path/to/put/kernel-modules.sfs-blah-blah -comp xz
then finally select both the kernel-modules.sfs-blah-blah & vmlinuz-blah-blah , choose 'openwith' then 'packit' and repackage. and place in the huge_kernel folder in woofce.

to build 7.0.4 grab /root/.packages/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS from 7.0.4 rename to DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-xenial, and replace the one in the woof folder . you can also edit the DISTRO_SPECS file to say 7.0.4.

hopefully you'll end up with a working pup
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331