Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 28 Sep 2016, 02:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Frisbee Network Manager 1.4.2
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 14:59    Post subject:  Frisbee Network Manager 1.4.2
Subject description: Networking unchanged from 1.3.4, but GPRS improved

Here is the completed version of frisbee-1.4. The main changes are to the internal structure of the components, upgrading of the mobile (GPRS) support and interoperability with the new version of PGPRS, 2.0.

Note that I am unable to verify that an actual mobile/GPRS connection works, so needed some feedback from those who try that. The behavior of the other networking is the same as before.

Thank you to those of you who reported success with the networking verification and, especially, to Lazy Puppy for repeatedly testing my attempts to get the GPRS to operate correctly.

Note that this version of Frisbee requires the installation of the (connectwizard) "connect_updates" package, to correspond to its new interface. The attached connect_updates package is functionally the same as that in the pgprs-2.0 thread.
Richard
frisbee-1.4.2.pet
Description  Frisbee with improved Mobile/GPRS function and reorganized internals --
as submitted to woof-CE
Requires that the connect_updates package be installed.
pet

Download 
Filename  frisbee-1.4.2.pet 
Filesize  34.54 KB 
Downloaded  70 Time(s) 
connect_updates-20160527.pet
Description  Required for frisbee 1.4.x!
- Connectwizard & Connect/AppRun upgrade for frisbee and pgprs
- Get_modem_alternate_device script moved from frisbee package
- Pdiag updates
pet

Download 
Filename  connect_updates-20160527.pet 
Filesize  12.46 KB 
Downloaded  73 Time(s) 

Last edited by rerwin on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 14:14; edited 7 times in total
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 16:18    Post subject:  

Hi Rerwin

Tried both pets in combination - saw new gprs button in connect wizard - frisbee seemed to work as previously with my wifi - no problems setting up a connection.

Also tried just the frisbee pet without the "connect_updates" pet and this also worked ok with the connect wizard - but the gprs button was not presented.

My only comment is that it should maybe now identify as Jemimah/Rerwin's Frisbee given the amount of input you've put into it Wink

I only have wifi to test.....

Cheers
peebee

zigbert

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 17:08    Post subject:  

rerwin
Really great that you offer this one.
I only have wifi connection, but no issues here.

Thumbs up!
Please consider to upload it to woof-CE

Marv

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2016, 09:41    Post subject:  

Only wifi to test here also. Installed in LxPupSc 16.04.2 and tested on iwlwifi and ipw2200 laptops. WPA2 connections normal on both (exactly the same as as 1.3.4), shutdown with open samba shares now ok. Iwlwifi slick and flawless as usual. Pentium M quirks unchanged (non dropwait dhcpcd in LxPupSc re-leases on 1 sec dropouts and version 4 kernels and having both eth0 and eth1 present and set to auto dhcp in Frisbee causes hang on suspend). Both Pentium M specific, easily remedied, and nothing new.
Thanks,

Aung

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr 2016, 09:36    Post subject: testing in fatdog  

Trying frisbee in fatdog. Firewall off. /usr/sbin/pppd is there
so copied pppd from micko slacko, still no work. Did the mknod thing, cant find any /dev/ppp in /dev, didnt work. There is ttyusb0, 1, 2 in /dev, and a folder 'serial' with by-id and by-path which mentioned the ZTE modem. Click the status button in frisbee and says 'GPRS connection inactive Stonkered

Connection log
Couldn't open the /dev/ppp device: No such file or director
/usr/sbin/pppd: You need to create the /dev/ppp device node by
executing the following command as root:
mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2016, 13:58    Post subject: Frisbee and connect_updates versions 20160515  

I have updated frisbee's GPRS connect function to use the pgprs method. Previously, the script utilized the "updetach" option of PPP. But that turns out to be faulty, in that a successful connection immediately "hangs up", terminating the connection. This was apparently reported for PPP after the version in the Lucid pups and again with tahrpup's version. That is what Lazy Puppy discovered when he tested frisbee. So I reverted to the pgprs version that apparently works. Thank you, Lazy Puppy.

The main network support is unchanged. But I need feedback on how the GPRS part works.

The connect_updates package matches a modified frisbee file structure which moved the frisbee interface script from /usr/sbin back to /usr/local/bin. It should also fix enabling/disabling of wireless (wifi) from the network_tray icon when an ethernet connection is also active.

Note that a network_tray menu item regarding connecting/disconnecting to/from network is ineffective for an ethernet connection when frisbee is the active network manager. However, the ethernet connection can be controlled in frisbee's "Network interfaces" tab, using the "Ignore" and "auto" checkboxes on the ethernet entry.
Richard
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2016, 21:57    Post subject:  

A new testing...

Operating System:

- Tahr 6.0.2 (T.O.P.L.E.S.S. made)

Installed Packages:

- connect_updates-20160515.pet
- frisbee-1.3.5-20160515-beta.pet

Results:

- connected to the web by frisbee
- access to the forum by frisbee

Disconnect and re-connect works also. So far, so good. Though, too bad, but it is probably a bit too late since Xenial 7.0.1 doesn't recognize my GPRS modem device anymore (tahr, unicorn and vivid did so).

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. - the Multi-Language Puppy Linux Wrapper.

Zivilcourage bringt nichts als Ärger ein!
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2016, 20:41    Post subject:  

LazY Puppy,
Thank you once again for continuing to test frisbee. Your report of success with the GPRS part gives me the confidence to release the final version, 1.4. I have added a bit of "cleanup" since the last beta, trusting that I did not introduce any dumb mistakes. But it is time to get it out the door.

Thank you to everyone who contributed their comments toward getting to this point.

LazY Puppy, about your dismay over your modem not being recognizrd by Xenial 7.0.1: I examined the modules.alias file and conclude that your modem should be recognized. Feel free to send me a pdiag taken after you see that it does not work. Maybe I can spot something there.
Richard
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2016, 15:19    Post subject: Frisbee fatdog64 fix  

To fix a noticeable problem in fatdog64, I have re-uploaded frisbee-1.4 after download number 6, with a minor change. I activated the "debug" option on line 30 of /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-editable.

Be aware, though, that installing the package does not replace an existing copy of that file. That is to preserve any changes already made to it. So, either edit the file yourself and ignore the replacement package, or remove that file before installing the replacement.

This is needed only in fatdog64, which does not have the usual 'options' file that contains the 'debug' line. This fix probably removes the dependency on the 'options' file.
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Fri 20 May 2016, 17:13    Post subject:  

Quote:
To fix a noticeable problem in fatdog64, I have re-uploaded frisbee-1.4 after download number 6, with a minor change. I activated the "debug" option on line 30 of /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-editable.

So, this would need one more testing for non-fatdog users?

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. - the Multi-Language Puppy Linux Wrapper.

Zivilcourage bringt nichts als Ärger ein!
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun 2016, 12:08    Post subject:  

I have uploaded versions of frisbee and connect_updates that match what I submitted for inclusion in the woof-CE world, so that they can be included in builds of new puppies.

The changes are to only the installation process, required by woof-CE.
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug 2016, 14:41    Post subject:  

In response to a problem reported by stemsee at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=797354&search_id=572938581#797354

I have fixed frisbee to make the SSID for open networks appear in the same column as for encrypted networks. It is in the frisbee-1.4.2 package I posted in the first message of this thread, after download number 31.

If you want to patch your existing frisbee installation, edit line 898 of /usr/local/frisbee/func (in function get_scan_results) to add the bolded characters (-F '\t' ):

wpa_cli scan_results -i $INTERFACE | grep ^..:..: | awk -F '\t' '{print $1"|"$2"|"$3"|"$5"|"$4}'
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug 2016, 16:33    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
I have uploaded versions of frisbee and connect_updates that match what I submitted for inclusion in the woof-CE world, so that they can be included in builds of new puppies.
Hi rerwin - is there an easy way to tell which version of frisbee I am using? I tried the following:
frisbee -help
frisbee --help
frisbee -version
frisbee --version

but each time the frisbee main window opens and takes down my network.
(I am using a derivative based on Slacko 5.6)
cheers!
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug 2016, 15:08    Post subject:  

greengeek,
Try the command:
Code:
grep '^[Ff]risbee' .packages/woof-installed-packages
If the version is 0.x, it is one of the "betas". Modern versions (1.3.4+) display the version in the window title. Versions 4.x also provide the customary command line --help and --version options.

I have not tested frisbee 1.4.x in slackos earlier than 5.7.0. So if you try 1.4.2, please do so only in a dedicated pupsave or pfix=ram environment. It should clean up residue from older frisbees, including the betas. But be sure to also install the "connect_updates" package, which might conflict with old-slacko's connect wizard, but is necessary. Do not expect to be able to uninstall 1.4.x because it will not restore the several old files it has deleted.

If you try it, please us know how it goes.
Richard
greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug 2016, 15:32    Post subject:  

Thanks rerwin -
Code:
# grep '^[Ff]risbee' .packages/woof-installed-packages
frisbee_stuffs-0.1|frisbee_stuffs|0.1||BuildingBlock|244K||frisbee_stuffs-0.1.pet||rerwin's frisbee||||
#
I won't go further with testing at this stage as I am still trying to understand exactly what functionality from frisbee is used in Slacko 5.6, and when.
Frisbee is obviously installed (which I initially did not realise) but whether or not it is in use I cannot tell. In my Slacko 5.6 derivative I always connect via sns but I recall when I was testing peasyWifi I started to have doubts about what was going on behind the scenes - and getting a gut feeling that frisbee was in the background.

I will at some point look deeper and see what frisbee is doing (if anything) when I bring up my network - but for now I just needed to confirm that it is installed and what version it is. Thanks for the grep syntax. I will report back later if I am able to add to the discussion.
cheers!

EDIT - but let me know if there is any specific test you would like me to perform. You probably have a good idea to what extent frisbee is in use in Slacko already (i have a suspicion it might be frisbee that jumps in if the wifi drops out and needs auto reconnection but I don't know if it is frisbee doing that or if it is some function of sns or dhcpcd etc)
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: