Usenet Poster

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
fredx181

Usenet Poster

#1 Post by fredx181 »

*** Usenet Poster ***

Started this because I wanted to be able to post to usenet from command-line and (one step further) select directories (containing files to be posted, including par2 repair files) from a Thunar custom (right-click) action.
That worked fine, but I extended it also with menu entries (for folder and file select), so a "yad" fileselector pops up.

It makes use of "newsmangler", see here
https://github.com/madcowfred/newsmangler
Which depends on python.
Further dependencies are: yad and par2 (the latter can be installed from PPM, if not installed, no par2 files will be created)

Required is a payed news-server account that supports posting, many can be found on the web, search for "usenet news server"

Usage:
- From command line:
For directories, from commandline, e.g.:

Code: Select all

posterpy /pathto/dir1 /pathto/dir2 /pathto/dir3 ....
Or, for files:

posterpy-sel /pathto/file1 /pathto/file2 /pathto/file3 ....
- By selecting directories or files in Thunar (all content of the directories will be posted)
(should be possible somehow with other filemanagers also, any tips for how-to much appreciated)
For directories set Thunar custom action command to:

posterpy %F
and set Appearance conditions to Directories
For files, set Thunar custom action command to:

posterpy-sel %F
and select all, except Directories, under Appearance conditions

- By running from Menu > Network "Usenet Poster (folderselect)" or: "Usenet Poster (fileselect)"

First time use you need to fill in server address, username, password.
Then some yad windows will pop up to set subject, par2 name (optional), nzbname (optional) and selection window for newsgroup(s) to post to.
Configuration files are: ~/.newsmangler.conf (containing the server name, authentication, etc..) and ~/nglist (containing the choice of newsgroups, edit or add desired newsgroups to display)

Not sure if there's any interest for this, just sharing what initially was meant for my own use, if there is, I may make improvements or fix bugs (if there are any).

Tested on Tahrpup, Debian Wheezy and Debian Stretch

Attached .pet and .deb packages

Fred
Attachments
posterpy_0.1.0_all.pet
posterpy .pet package
(42.85 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
posterpy_0.1.0_all.deb.gz
posterpy .deb package (remove fake .gz)
(38.64 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
posterpy.jpg
Usenet Poster