Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Aug 2017, 13:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
PepperFlash .PETs
Page 2 of 4 [60 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2016, 17:32    Post subject:  

Curiouser and curiouser.

I've downloaded the 32-bit Chrome Pepperflash .pet, using my own link, and attempted to install it into Tahr 6.05 myself. You're right. It won't install.

When I then extract the contents of the pet for examination, I'm getting two folders.....one of which I very definitely didn't put into the .pet. Yet if I extract this same .pet in any of my other Pups, I only get one; the one I expect to see.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this. I'll need to investigate further, and figure out what's causing it.

BTW: According to your own post, it looks like you're trying to install the 64-bit Pepperflash .pet! The Chrome 45 I let you have is a 32-bit version ( I've used it in Tahr 6.05 myself, so I know that's right. I've only very recently started using Tahr64 6.05, and anyway, I've never had the 64-bit version of Chrome 45.)

Leave this with me, please. I need to get to the bottom of this, but I'm not going to be around for a couple of days, I'm afraid. Should be back in the saddle late Sunday, or Monday..!

Mike. Wink

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2016, 17:48    Post subject:  

mplsvpn wrote:
Hi Mike

Thanks for your response. The tahr6.0.5 was a frugal install from usb flash. The Chrome 45 with the embedded flash 18 was installed successfully. When the Pepperflash 21 .pet was installed using PPM. An error message was shown at the beginning of the installation "Chrome-PepperFlash-21.0.0.213-x86_64.pet is named ChromePepperFlash-21.0.0.213-x86_64 inside the pet file. Will not install it!"

That occurs when a .pet is renamed after construction.....in this case the rename has been from ChromePepperFlash to Chrome-PepperFlash

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2016, 19:18    Post subject:  

Hi, peebee.

That explains it. I remember now; it was the first one I'd constructed, and I had to rename it after I discovered it required hyphens in the title for trio's 'Pet Maker'.....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40457

.....to function correctly. It was expecting them, and I hadn't quite got the hang of using it at that point; it does function perfectly making .pets....that was just me!

After that, I then re-named it again.....adding another hyphen, because I thought it read better.....

Cheers, mate! I'll sort that one out.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 22 May 2016, 12:28; edited 5 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr 2016, 19:24    Post subject:  

Evening, all.

32-bit Chrome Pepperflash .pet repaired, and re-uploaded. Should now install in 32-bit Tahr 6.05 without issue.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2016, 11:12    Post subject:  

Afternoon, all.

Just discovered a small problem with the repaired 32-bit Chrome Pepper that I re-uploaded night before last. Not at home at the moment, so I don't have access to my personal files. Shall be home by tonight, so will re-repair (!) said file, and re-upload again. Bear with me..!

FYI, the .pet currently appears to create a second Pepperflash folder, instead of overwriting with the new one, as it should do.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 23 Apr 2016, 20:03    Post subject:  

Evening, all.

The 32-bit Chrome PepperFlash .pet is now FIXED. Quite simply, it was my own fault; I made the elementary mistake of naming the PepperFlash folder 'Pepperflash' (small 'f' where I should have used a capital 'F') during construction.

This is why two folders were being created; they were named slightly differently, so Puppy was treating them as different folders. Apologies for this; anybody who's downloaded this .pet during the last 48 hours or so, please uninstall it, download again, and re-install again. This time, it will work the way it was supposed to...! Embarassed

Thanks for your patience. Smile It's been a bit of a 'learning curve' for me! Laughing I really must learn to watch my syntax.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2016, 10:41    Post subject:  

**PepperFlash Update:-**

Hallo again, everybody.

It looks as though the PepperFlash .pets won't be as comprehensive from now on as I had hoped.....in large part due to the fact that I started providing them right at the very end of Adobe's 32-bit PepperFlash run.

Since Google have now dropped support for 32-bit Chrome on Linux, as well as Windows XP & Vista, it appears that 21.0.0.213 will be the very last 32-bit release of PepperFlash for Linux.. After this, it will be only the 64-bit version that will be updated. Some will say this is a good thing; that the march of technology doesn't stop for anyone, and that those of us using 32-bit systems should move onward to 64-bit hardware.

For a lot of people, this is simply not practical, due to financial/social constraints, etc., and this is being noised abroad (quite vocally, I should say) as a very mean move on Google's part (given that apparently Chrome is the world's most popular browser). You can, of course, continue to use 32-bit FireFox, which utilises the standard FlashPlayer (11.2.202.xxx).....although Adobe will be dropping support for this in about a year's time.

This kinda presupposes that HTML5 will be dominant, 12 months down the road. Either that, or Adobe are giving web developers enough rope to hang themselves.....and any who don't pull their finger out and make the necessary changes to websites under their care will be caught flat-footed; sites requiring media content after Flash support folds for good will have no recourse but to upgrade.....and fast.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will continue to supply the updated 64-bit version as a .pet, for the same browsers as in the main post.

21.0.0.213 (last for 32-bit) will continue to be available from the original links.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 13:20; edited 12 times in total
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2016, 14:22    Post subject:  

I have Slimjet-9.0.0.0 installed in Slacko-5.7.0-pae [32-bit on 64-bit hardware], so...

I installed Slimjet-PepperFlash-21.0.0.213-i386.pet, and the version checked OK at http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/ [when I went there using Slimjet-9.0.0.0].

I won't save the changes.
Will wait for a response first.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 15 May 2016, 09:34    Post subject:  

Hi, Sylvander.

Glad to hear it's working for you. I did test them in as many different browsers as I could before uploading them, so they ought to behave themselves.

Yes, I'm afraid 32-bit Pepper has reached the end of the road, With Google no longer supporting 32-bit Chrome, Adobe have no more incentive to develop 32-bit Pepper any further. But it is rather unfair on the millions of people who, for whatever reason, can't move to 64-bit systems and stuff.....mainly for financial reasons, or because of their social situation.

I'm going to continue on with the 64-bit .pets, anyhow. It's astonishing how many people are still using older browsers; these are the ones for whom I envisaged the use of these .pets when I constructed them. I myself still use Chromium 36 some of the time; at least a more up-to-date Pepper makes it a wee bit safer!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 16 May 2016, 23:16; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 16 May 2016, 23:13    Post subject:  

Morning, all.

For anybody who happens to have the 64-bit version of SlimJet running on their system, the SlimJet64 PepperFlash .pet is also now available (see above for link). I installed SlimJet64 into Lighthouse64 'Mariner' Edition earlier this evening, extracting from the supplied tar.xz tarball.....and performing a wee bit of command-line 'tinkering'. For anyone who might be interested in the how-to, I'll soon be posting a tutorial on the subject..! Smile

Watch this sub-forum...

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun 2016, 04:53    Post subject:  

***NEW VERSION***

64-bit version 22.0.0.192 now available. Links as above.

Any probs, let me know. I don't anticipate any.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:42; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2016, 08:13    Post subject:  

***NEW VERSION***

64-bit version 22.0.0.209 now available. Links as above.

Any probs, as always, let me know.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 11:43; edited 1 time in total
Belham

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2016, 11:24    Post subject:  

Mike,

Thanks for the latest Chrome/Chromium Adobe Flash update to .209.

You having any luck (if you still use FF or Palemoon or Seamoney) getting any Puppy-related distro to accept the 11.2.202.632 for Linux Flash Player Update? None of the scripts work (Adobe changed their website again, maybe?) and manually trying to download .632 and insert the LGPL & .so file into the /usr/bin/mozilla/plugin/ folder is a no-go.

I still use FF (and Palemoon) occasionally on some Pups, but they are dead-in-the-water until I can get this stupid flashplayer updated. I cannot wait until every single last website in the world ditches the workings of their websites require adobe flash. Hard to understand how something so vulnerable is continued to be required to get certain sites to work. it's embarrassing for the worldwide web & its users overall Sad

Thanks for anything you might find and/or get to work.

[EDIT: ok, the above method still works when you're updating adobe flash. For some reason, when I downloaded 11.2.202.632 for Linux, when it un-archived, it named the .so file as "libpepflashplayer.so". I still don't quite know how and/or why this happened, but the flashplayer.so you want is "libflashplayer.so". So, i went to another linux-distro I like to use (Peppermint 7), grabbed the libflashplayer.so from it (aas it has the new .632 .so), copied it over to the various Puppies /mozilla/plugins/ folder, and voila', all of the four puppies I use have the latest 11.2.202.632 flash player. hope this helps someone out there if they run into what I did.]
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2016, 15:02    Post subject:  

Hi, Belham.

Heh. Yup, this has only just happened this last 48 hours or so. I run Geoffrey's 'auto-updater' script he put together for the Linux Flashplayer ('libflashplayer.so' - trusty old 11.2.202.xxx):-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100523

Although I've just noticed you've posted in that today, too: so..... To cut a long story short, it's been giving me the version number for the current Pepperflash the last day or so; which is weird. I'd guess Adobe have been swapping URLs around again, 'cos the situation is now the opposite of what it used to be. Used to be you could get the FF NPAPI version, but not PepperFlash's PPAPI; now you can get PPAPI, but not NPAPI.

However, it doesn't download it, because I think Geoff's written his script to look for an exact name match before downloading.....and 'libpepflashplayer.so' is not the same as 'libflashplayer.so'. Ergo, it won't complete the script.

But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth; while it's available, I'm going to make use of it..! I'm going to be knocking out some more 32-bit PepperFlash .pets before too long.

My guess is that with Google dropping 32-bit Chrome, with which PepperFlash was so closely tied, some contract or another is now terminated, so Adobe are free to release it for general use (Chromium 32-bit development is still going strong, and that's where the Pepper API originated, of course; and there's a lot of Chromium-based browsers out there; Slimjet, Vivaldi and Iron to name just a few.)

But the way you've 'appropriated' it, that is one way to do it; it'll work for the NPAPI version as well as it will for the PPAPI version. These things are platform-agnostic, in the sense that they're not tied to any specific Linux kernel version. They'll run under any of them. So grab 'em from anywhere you can. It doesn't matter where, as long as the version is the one you want.

BTW; You did realise that to get the NPAPI version, you need to visit the download page actually in FF, or one of the FF-related browsers? To get Pepper offered, visit the page in one of the Chrome/Chromium-based browsers. The page offers the correct version, based on the user-agent string it detects from your browser.

Edit:- Just downloaded from the d/l page in FF ESR 38. Shut FF down. Extracted the 'libflashplayer.so'. Opened /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Renamed the one already there as libflashplayer.so.bak; this way you can revert by removing the 'bak' from the end. Moved it over. Opened FF again, and went to the 'checker' page. Result?

'11.2.202.632'

There's another more direct checker you can use, actually. It's listed near the bottom of the first post in this thread:-

https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/flash/about/flashAbout_info_small.swf

This just shows the version you're currently using, not the whole list of all the different browser and OS versions. In nice, BIG letters, so you can't miss it..! Laughing

Mike. Wink

Belham

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2016, 15:57    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Thanks for confirming. I did know that whichever flash download pops up on Adobe's page depends on the browser. I just checked again, re-downloaded the 11.2.202.632 for Linux (using FF 47.01), I un-archived it, and I'll be danged, there sits again the "libpepflashplayer.so" that unarchiving made. Going to go into "about:config" and see if I did something to cause this. I use the latest versions of FF for security reasons, but boy when I set them up, I go into "about:config" and just murder a lot of stuff (setting it to "false", or replacing URLs, or just disabling truly idiotic stuff). I've always used FF to download, so maybe the last update of theirs changed settings in my json file or prefs.js files.

Thanks again for responding. I for one cannot wait for the day when I don't have to worry about Flash at all. I do live without it on a couple of my old machines, but on the main daily driver, there are still some websites that I like to frequent & read, and they require flash. Ugh Rolling Eyes
Page 2 of 4 [60 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: