Texlive, Lyx and Puppy Linux

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
didik

Texlive, Lyx and Puppy Linux

#1 Post by didik »

Hello,

I've made texplay-2009-beta-sfs4.sfs for one who may need Tex/Latex document production system on his/her puppy Linux (it may be you :) ). It consists the following packages:

1) document typesetter using texlive-20091107-source and texlive-20091107-texmf (without any document and only include selective fonts)

2) lyx-2.6.4.2 wysiwym as tex GUI

3) spell checker using aspell-0.60.0 and also english and indonesian (bahasa) dictionary

4) image converter using ImageMagick-6.5.8.0, ghostscript-8.70 and ghostscript-fonts-std-8.11

5) prerequisites packages: qt4-4.4.2 and Python-2.6.4

This sfs file size is 173MB and will occupy your storage about 471MB when installed fully in your HD. I'm little ashamed with this huge size, but for functionality i think it can be sacrificed. Sorry.

I've test it under Puppy Linux 4.31, and ps, pdf, html and dvi output can be generated from Help menu file.

However, this texplay sfs is considerably as beta release. So, any reports including bugs found, successful deployments and missing features, and also suggestions are all highly appreciated :D

NOTE
1) Installation (if you new to puppy): quoted from puppy package management
Download any SFS file to /mnt/home (the same place as your "pupsave" personal storage file), run the BootManager (in the System menu) to select or deselect what SFS files you want to use, reboot Puppy and its ready to go.
2) dvi file is truly generated. But there is no dvi viewer installed, instead of conversion wrapper script that acts as xdvi viewer as the following:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# xdvi: dvi viewer
FILENAME=`echo $* | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -ie ".dvi"`
[ "$FILENAME" ] || exit
DIRNAME=`dirname $FILENAME`
if [ -d $DIRNAME ]; then
        cd $DIRNAME
        dvipdf `basename $FILENAME` - | epdfview -
fi

3) Features supported:
* htlatex for generating html from lyx/tex/latex file
* standar lyx document class, package and layout

DOWNLOAD
* texplay-2009-beta-sfs4.sfs
* texplay-2009-beta-sfs4.sfs.md5sum

::eko didik widianto::
Attachments
configure.log.tar.gz
Lyx configuration log
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 1188 times
lyx_on_puppy.jpg
Lyx run on Puppy Linux under VirtualBox
(109.12 KiB) Downloaded 1169 times
Last edited by didik on Tue 29 Dec 2009, 11:20, edited 2 times in total.

Puppyt

#2 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks, didik!

Saw your notice in Dingo's "LaTeX puppy?" thread and observed the high number of first-time posters wanting this sort of functionality. I'm new to LaTeX and its derivatives, but have downloaded the various manuals from http://www.latex-project.org/. I'll give feedback in the New Year,
Cheers!

didik

#3 Post by didik »

Hello,
i found that lyx icon didn't appear on menu because of wrong category (Document). Patch has been applied to updated texplay-2009-beta-sfs4.sfs (dated 122909).

If you have download older sfs, you can apply this attached patch, to fix the missing lyx menu icon.

Run this to patch from console :
# gunzip -c patch-122909.sh.gz | sh
Attachments
patch-122909.sh.gz
Patch to fix missing lyx icon
(239 Bytes) Downloaded 942 times

emil

Possible Bug found in Package (solved?)

#4 Post by emil »

Hello didik,

i used your texpla-2009-beta-sfs4. sfs and found it very usefull. also it is by far the smallest puppy latex package around with 170 MB including Lyx! So really thank you didik for great work!!!

However I think i had a problem yesterday, when i wanted to import some Latex files ("tex" format). I always got a cryptic error reading about incompatible versions of lyx.

I tracked it down then to the python program lyx2lyx. It seems the conversion uses 2 steps, first "tex2lyx" and then it again convertst o the latest lynx file-format version. The Problem is, that the python which is included in the texlive package is not complete, so the scripts throw an error and the gui gives that cryptiv message.

I checked that behavior in a fresh installation, the same error.

I am currently work on the german NOP from forum member deapsea. The dev package of this pupplet includes python 2.5 (and beside that also gfortran which is really usefull).

I tried a simple solution to remove the python 2.6 from your package and use the python from the devx instead. This solved the problem imediatly and I could import tex files to lyx.

I uploaded the package with python removed (its just around 3 MB in the sfs file) to
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/Latex/
File is called Latex_Lyx_v09.sfs

Sorry, Download link is a bit slow.

This is didks Latex Lyx package WITHOUT Python, so you have Python (>=2.5 ?) as dependency.

Emil

mommyjoy

#5 Post by mommyjoy »

Thank you guys! I now have latex in puppeee.

uio

Link is broken

#6 Post by uio »

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone might have the texlive .sfs and be able to repost it as the current link (http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/Latex/) is broken... or maybe there is another such .sfs that would work instead ?

Thanks !

::uio

Pelo

Needed by a french Puppy Linux passenger too.

#7 Post by Pelo »

Needed by a french Puppy Linux passenger too.
lyx-2.1.4_all.pet Provided by Argolance for ToOpPy Passengers.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 12 Oct 2016, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

Rattlehead

#8 Post by Rattlehead »

Here is Didik's version, tested in Puppy 4.3.1. (I don't know anything about that bug Emil describes, because I only use Lyx to create pretty PDFs, never tried importing LaTex files premade somewhere else).

Cheers.

https://www.4shared.com/file/VW_B_WgFba ... -sfs4.html

Pelo

Lyx QT needed, launched to day.

#9 Post by Pelo »

# lyx
lyx: error while loading shared libraries: libQtGui.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
lyx: error while loading shared libraries: libQtCore.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# lyx
LyX: Creating directory /root/.lyx/
Looking for python v2.x ...
Warning: No python v2.x binary found.
LyX: reconfiguring user directory
Systemcall.cpp (276): Systemcall: 'python -tt "/usr/share/lyx/configure.py" --binary-dir="/usr/bin/"' did not start!
Systemcall.cpp (277): error The process failed to start. Either the invoked program is missing, or you may have insufficient permissions to invoke the program.
LyX: Done!
LayoutFile.cpp (110): LayoutFileList::Read: unable to find textclass file `textclass.lst'.
LayoutFile.cpp (171): LayoutFileList::Read: no textclasses found!
ModuleList.cpp (129): unable to find modules file `lyxmodules.lst'.
No modules will be available.
Systemcall.cpp (276): Systemcall: 'python -tt "/usr/share/lyx/configure.py" --binary-dir="/usr/bin/"' did not start!
Systemcall.cpp (277): error The process failed to start. Either the invoked program is missing, or you may have insufficient permissions to invoke the program.
Error: Document class not found
----------------------------------------
The layout file:
article
could not be found. A default textclass with default
layouts will be used. LyX will not be able to produce
correct output.
Warning: Module not available
----------------------------------------
The module basic has been requested by
this document but has not been found in the list of
available modules. If you recently installed it, you
probably need to reconfigure LyX.

Pelo

Two libs QT linked then LYx Starts.

#10 Post by Pelo »

Two libs QT linked then LYx Starts. Thantks everybody for our Passenger in french forum :)
French topic : 2009 is old